The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars great device but get your own backup software
Published on June 27, 2012 by kinematic

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not the NAS you are looking for....
After being a generally satisfied user of a ReadyNAS Duo for a few years I was looking to upgrade our home NAS. I use the NAS for Mac "Time Machine" backups and as a home media server....nothing too extreme. Being familiar with ReadyNAS I purchased this unit figuring it would be an easy setup with an increase in performance.

WRONG.

After having one...
Published 22 months ago by 320Flyer

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not the NAS you are looking for...., September 8, 2012
320Flyer (Minnetonka, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (Diskless) Network Attached Storage RNDU2000 (Personal Computers)

WRONG.

After having one "issue" after another attempting to get the thing up and running, including problems with hard drives that are 1) on the ReadyNAS compatibly list and 2) worked just fine in the ReadyNAS Duo, I wasted several hours trying to get this thing up and running. Even basic issues were frustrating like a user interface that would seem to "hang" or nor render graphics. I was able to toss in an old drive I had laying around just so I could boot it and update the firmware in case that was a problem but even that was painful. Finally I threw in the towel, boxed it up, and set it back to Amazon.

I had a Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS212j (White) overnighted with Amazon Prime and I had that sucker up and running in less than 30 minutes. No kidding. While the DS212j is running a sync (as I type this) that will take several hours, that is expected with any initial RAID setup. The user interface of the Synology blows the ReadyNAS out of the water hands down.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars great device but get your own backup software, June 27, 2012
kinematic (wellesley, ma) - See all my reviews
device works very well and am happy with the performance. i use it to back up 2 pcs in my office. however, the ReadyNAS backup software has issues and will not work with win 7 x64, too bad as it would surely have simplified my backup needs. Did not even bother with the Memeo, looked like a toy, instead i have been using win7 backup but it is not that efficient and wastes a lot of disk space so i am going to use another backup software. i have genie so iw ill try that. i am adding another of these devices, an Ultra 4 plus (faster and more drives) to act as my file server and will use the existing to backup the file server. this way i am not shuffling files between pc's.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:56:03 AM PDT
Hi kinematic,

Thanks for your honest review--we're glad that overall the ReadyNAS is working well for you. We are concerned that you had some issues with the included backup software, and if you'd like to contact us with some more details, we'll be happy to investigate. You can email us at amazon@netgear.com; make sure to provide as many details as you can about the issues you had and any troubleshooting steps you tried.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

3.0 out of 5 stars Netgear didn't tell you the CPU speed here because it's slower than listed, December 3, 2013
On the surface it looks good. It's a metal case which looks nice and solid quality. There is no qualm with the build quality of the unit. The software itself is fine for basic purposes. I had been looking at the Synology units and it would seem that their "add ons" for their devices are developed more regularly and with more of them than for ReadyNAS. Netgear seems to half abandon its products and I was surprised by the lackluster support, broken graphics on its website and relative lack of interest in doing much more than just providing the basics for the ReadyNAS series.

If you're looking to do various things with it (such as transcoding) be warned. It won't stream video although it will stream data to a device that will display the video (such as a TV.) The CPU is not fast enough. Speaking of the CPU:

The CPU in this model seems to have been switched by Netgear. [...] . Other people buying it seem to be confirming that the CPU speed is definitely slower than listed on most websites. [...]

If you are buying this because you read a review about the CPU being 1.8GHz then be forewarned. It seems to be a little under 10% slower because the CPU in these devices is 1.5GHz. If it's really cheap then it could be a good deal but know what you are getting before you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great choice for this non-technical user. Performance is outstanding and it handles 4TB drives, September 1, 2013
Quaker (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
I know just enough about technology to be dangerous. That is, I know enough to want my own big home NAS and to have the redundancy of a RAID configuration, but beyond that I know nothing about networking. I need to rely on the built-in software.

So I wanted to buy an inexpensive 2-bay NAS for my home network that would support 4TB hard drives. I had an old D-Link DNS-323 that couldn't handle that capacity and was always kind of slow. Netgear ReadyNAS has a great reputation and some low prices, but I found it hard to find a clear comparison of the various models. After more trolling and asking around than should have been necessary, I finally chose the ReadyNAS Ultra 2 over the ReadyNAS Duo v2 because of the low price on Amazon and the better Intel processor, memory and performance. At the time of my purchase, the Ultra 2 did not officially support 4TB drives, but a little research confirmed that I would be OK, and experience proved that out (Note: When I made this purchase in early 2013, both the Ultra 2 and the Duo V2 were under $200 on Amazon).

I'm happy to report that set-up was quite easy for this non-techie. Everything was fairly clear and setting up a RAID-1 configuration was handled automatically by the software. RAID Scrubbing, firmware updates, email notifications all work automatically as advertised. Diagnostics are really clear so I feel confident I'll know if something ever does go wrong. I have not tried Netgear's backup software, or USB storage, nor have I tried to use it as a print server, or a DLNA server, or to get into any sophisticated configurations.

Netgear offers free "add on" services as well. ReadyNAS Remote lets you access files from your ReadyNAS anywhere you have an internet connection. I set that up, it was pretty painless, and it works well. ReadyNAS Photos II is an add-on for sharing photos. I tried this as a way to share a huge folder of photos with somebody across the country, and it did not work. Netgear technical support couldn't help, either. They've told me that the service is fixed now, but I have not tried using it again.

All in all, after six months of pretty much flawless operation, I am VERY happy with this purchase considering what I paid. I see that the price on this item has fluctuated quite a bit, so do your homework. Today, you might find yourself comparing this to the new ReadyNAS 100 Series (RN 102), which is under $200 and has newer software. The RN102 has a slower processor and less memory, but also uses less power. I suspect you can't go wrong either way, but if the price on this drops again, I'd buy another Ultra 2.

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent Hardware, Old Software, June 15, 2013
In general, I've been disappointed by my ReadyNAS. While it may have been a nice device ten years ago, it unfortunately shows its age in its software.

For a home user with modest experience with network storage, the ReadyNAS Ultra 2 seems like a typical device. It has a relatively attractive price and boasts of a strong feature set. The fan isn't loud, the networking is fast, and the rest of the hardware seems to get things done without trouble. Unfortunately, the good news ends here.

The first-party software is functional, yet rusty. Its custom RAID implementation requires you to wipe your disks when performing a factory reset regardless of whether you're mirroring or striping the drives. The Windows client is generally functional, but will fail to find the device if you're wired to the network. The Android client is functional, too, but it has a pre-ICS design and often runs slowly.

Its third-party addons are often out-of-date payware that is difficult for users to fix. The developers of these addons rarely respond to messages as of late. For most of its addons, you will pay someone known as WhoCares for an outdated build of free, open source software and receive no support or updates. This person maintains an inactive Twitter account and a website with no contact information.

While the ReadyNAS runs on a customized version of Debian, using apt will not only void your warranty, but will also give you access to poorly populated and maintained Netgear repositories. Want to compile something for the ReadyNAS? Good luck finding and installing all the dependencies manually.

Again, my experience with the ReadyNAS Ultra 2 has been disappointing. Unless Netgear breathes life into its stale ecosystem, I don't recommend buying any ReadyNAS devices if you plan to use modern software such as ownCloud 5, uTorrent, or anything updated after 2009.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best solution for small network backup, sile server, and media server, March 28, 2013
I installed the Ultra 2 NAS as a Raid 1 Storage appliance. I setup the security and share pretty much straight forward except I had to change my local security policy to allow stronger encryption. I love the power management of the unit. It sleep when I am out of the office and is on standby when I am in the office. It's very fast, 1000 base T. The remote client works as advertised, I can access files over the internet.

I can recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product,, October 11, 2012
Works great for archiving my TIVO recordings and transferring media to DLNA players. Can't seem to get my Canon camera to connect to it, which is a major disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Office Storage, December 10, 2011
I have purchased two Netgear ReadyNAS devices. The earlier one was a standard model. I got the Ultra2 this time in order to take advantage of the remote management option. The web-based interface on the standard unit would occasional "disappear" and require a reboot in order to access the admin settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear ReadyNas Ultra 2, April 21, 2011
Highly recommended Network drive with countless web interface features. Extremely fast backup transfers from drive to USB drive or vice-a-versa.

4.0 out of 5 stars ReadyNAS Ultra 2 - Great product, February 13, 2011
I didn't know what to expect when I bought the Ultra 2 being as though it was my first NAS device. If I had to do it all over again, I'd be interested in seeing what the extra processing power does for the unit. GREAT BUY................

Rate and Discover Movies