5.0 out of 5 stars Better coverage
I replacend my Netgear N3200v3 with this router and it improved both my wireless coverage and signal strengh.

Published 13 months ago by Rafael Alves

1.0 out of 5 stars Not R6300v2
Published 14 months ago by Jonah Stich

1.0 out of 5 stars Not R6300v2, September 26, 2013
This review is from: NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300v2) (Personal Computers)
As others have noted, although the product description includes the correct feature set this is NOT actually the R6300v2. Netgear didn't change the model number when they introduced the v2 revision, so Amazon is randomly sending v1 or v2 hardware for both this and the other listing that appears to describe the v1 (NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300)). IMHO the listing on this page should be removed from the site, or at least it should be clarified that the -100PAS extension to the model number indicates that this product is the same as the -100NAS but with packaging and documentation intended for the *Canadian market*, and does not in any way indicate that the hardware is the v2 revision. I've contacted Amazon regarding this issue but have yet to receive a response.

Bottom line: at the time of this writing, I believe it's impossible to guarantee that you'll receive either a v1 or v2 model of this item when ordering from Amazon.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Ordered the Version 2, received version 1. Twice. Finally gave up., October 14, 2013
Ordered the Netgear R6300 V2 router and as so many others, received the version 1 hardware (note Amazon lists both versions available, and the V2 cost more). Talked to customer service and they supposedly talked to the warehouse to make sure that they re-ship the correct one. Supposed to have been shipped overnight. Not.

Here is what I ordered:
Netgear Wireless Router AC 1750 Dual Band Gigabit R6300v2

Here is what I received:
NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300)

Just received the new replacement and guess what? It is still the Version 1 hardware (no USB 3.0 ports nor dual-core processors). Even called Netgear to hopefully verify that the unit I received was the new Version 2 hardware. Netgear can tell by the serial # and this was still the version 1 hardware.

Called customer service again. Explained to them the issue, again. They could not figure out how to make sure I would receive what I originally ordered.

I gave up and just ordered the version 2 from NewEgg. They were $5 cheaper than Amazon with free shipping as well. Their ad also states Version 2 (new arrival). I hope so.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 15, 2013 10:08:30 AM PDT
Hi Stephen,

We apologize for the mistakes that were made with your Amazon purchase, and would like to work with you on getting your unit replaced with the correct version. Can you please contact us at amazon@netgear.com and include your contact information and a link you your review, and we will be happy to get this corrected for you.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Netgear Team

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT VERSION 2!, September 26, 2013
After carefully looking at the descriptions/features, making sure I bought one that was V2, it just showed up and is version 1. Not happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better coverage, October 30, 2013

What I can't understand is why Amazon announced this product as the version 2. I carefully chose the version 2 of this product because it has a usb 3.0 and a better processor. So I was very disappointed when I received the version 1. I bought from Amazon several times and have never been wronged in any buy. But this one is just wrong. The whole page displayed the specifications for version 2, so I feel robbed. They announced version 2 and sent me version 1. In Brazil this is called false advertisement and it is basis for a law suit. I hope Amazon and Netgear try to fix this because its not reasonable at all.

Just check the specifications in :Netgear Wireless Router Gigabit R6300

They sell v2 and you get v1.
Wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars another failed router from Netgear - please read, March 19, 2014
It seems no AC router is working properly these days - and this one is no different. after trying linksys and a couple of other netgears (which both were riddled with problem from the get go) i decided to go for this one and paid the full 200$ for it - one would think such an investment will be solid...not at all.
I was quite happy with the router but after 4 month the 5 GHZ band failed - it was not recognized by any of my devices and if it was there was no connection - hardware fail...after a full day wasted talking to the overseas reps - i managed to get them to send me a replacement - initially they will want you to send the router (at your expense!!!) and after the receive it they will send you a refurb model (not even a new one!!) - i did get extremely annoyed by this policy and after taking it up to a supervisor they did upgrade me for free to their quicker service where the new one was sent before sending back the old one (all on their account) - this should be standard policy for an item that it defective within the warranty period.
Fast forward another 2 month and guess what - same issue happened yesterday - only this time one cannot call Netgear nor chat with them online about this since i don't have premium support which requires a paid subscription...in any case, i wasnt able to get a hold of a rep (luckily for him) and i had to go through email support...still waiting on it and i have very slim hopes this will be resolved in due time or at all.
Netgear should be ashamed of several things:
1) first the quality of their products - over the last 18 month i have given the chance to 4 different routers N750 / AC1650 / AC 1750 - they all failed miserably and it is on me for having given it another shot
2)second their unethical support service where they want to charge you for premium to be able to assist or when you have to actually send back defective items at your own expense - this baffles me and not sure how people accept this.

in any case, right now i am stuck with a half working router until i hear back from netgear via EMAIL.

Please consider customer service / warranty issues before buying a router.

***

Edit - after spending another 120 minutes with netgear over the phone they finally admitted that replacement was defective (they make you take steps over the phone that one already has done) - after a few days of waiting for replacement - i was excited (sarcasm) to receive my 3rd router - the 5 GHZ band was DOA!!! furious was an understatement - went and got the Airport Extreme and its working like a charm - not as many options and buttons but it works! - still waiting on netgear to provide me with some kind of solution as my 200$ were just thrown away...
worse customer experience ever on a tech product for me.

in addition the netgear Amazon customer service will not get back to your emails...

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great until it didn't, December 27, 2013
Fantastic concept, has every feature that I need to connect and secure my VOIP, ISY, EoP, smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs - who could ask for more! Everything worked perfectly for several weeks until I experienced intermittent problems with wireless connectivity. I opened a trouble ticket, waited several days, nothing happened. I opened a second trouble ticket, waited several more days, and was directed to read the webpage that instructed me to contact support in the first place. I wrote Netgear yet again several days ago. As of today, no reply from Netgear, the router continues to fail, I'm out of patience, 1 star.

Many vendors treat requests for support as opportunities to strengthen relationships. Some vendors de-emphasize support because their products are nearly perfect. Netgear combines the worst of both worlds in that they provide less-than-perfect products and then ignore cries for help. I will avoid doing business with Netgear in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Router Netgear R6300v2, October 11, 2014
Ok I read the reviews on this unit and they were good but some folks were having issues, plus was not sure if reviews covered the R6300v1, but in either case. This is a very good router, the one this one is replacing is the Apple Extreme newer style cube shaped one, which had started giving me issues when more than 2 or 3 or users were trying to access the web at the same time, it just seem to run to a crawl. So time for a replacement.

The Apple router had been a fantastic router easiest to setup in my opinion but lacks a few features like DLNA which works really well on the R6300v2)

The Netgear AC1750 R6300v2 router was fairly easy to setup as well, Netgear has a app for IOS and Android which will allow configuration and a few other nice features to boot. This router has a very good range in both bands, I'm using the N protocol in both bands so no experience with the AC protocol. But speed and range is very good, especially while multiple users are were on, streaming Netflix, streaming a movie from a attached USB 3 drive on the router, all seems to be working smoothly.

I will tell you to my surprise, I thought well this R6300v2 works really nice, then maybe the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) would be better, so I ordered it here on Amazon and to my disappointment it was not better, the Genie UI at times seem to lock up, speed and distance were not any better than the R6300v2 and turning on the Qos just wreaked havoc on all I tried to do, so maybe that needs tweaking but to put it short, I quickly boxed it up and its going back.

Happy with my R6300vs, will update in a few months with how its been.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware paired with buggy firmware. Atrocious IPv6 support with Comcast, March 9, 2014
The R6300v2 router looks good on the paper and is quite nice looking but numerous shortcomings lead to a frustrating experience.

First the router is advertised as AC1750 which means 450 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz range and 1300 Mbps in the 5.0 GHz range. 450 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz require the use of 40 MHz channels but very little clients support them, so the router default configuration is 217 Mbps and attempting to change this setting is pointless. Furthermore 217 Mbps require three antennas and most 2.4 GHz clients only have one so they are limited to 72 Mbps regardless of what the router is capable of. Not a problem of the router per se but basically this router offers no real benefit compared to a cheap router in the 2.4 GHz band unless you have devices with high end Wi-Fi chipsets and multiple antennas.

The 5.0 GHz band is a mixed bag. Range is very limited but the use of large channels enables higher throughput than in the 2.4 GHz band. Of course you need clients supporting the 5.0 GHz band but they are coming to the market little by little.

More importantly the firmware is buggy. Issues encountered include: inability for clients to reconnect to the router (after being taken out of range or put in standby), unresponsiveness of the built-in administrative website, totally inaccurate usage meter, inability to obtain IPv4 address from Comcast (after a power outage or a modem reset) and inability to obtain IPv6 address from Comcast (after a power outage or a modem reset).

As a matter of fact IPv6 support is very lacking. It has to be enabled via an obscure option under advanced setup, the companion "Genie" software does not work when it is enabled (both the PC/Windows and Android versions), the router reports that Internet status is good even when it failed to acquire and IPv6 address... and it fails to acquire one after a power outage or a modem reset pretty constantly. The result is that devices that support IPv6 (e.g. Android or Windows devices) end up timing out before defaulting back to IPv4 when connecting to IPv6 enabled websites or web services and that leads to a "slow Internet" experience without any obvious reason to the casual user (as the router reports that Internet status is good anyway).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, January 3, 2014
I bought this to replace a Linksys WRT54G router, which seems to be something of yesterday's standard. That was a great router, but not 802.11n capable, only b and g. With so many wireless devices in the house the Linksys had trouble maintaining good connections with all of them. I chose the Netgear R6300v2 because of the dual band, backwards compatibility, longer range and higher speed of the 802.11n standard. I have not been disappointed. The range is much better and the Netgear has no trouble handling all the wireless devices in the household.

The speed is definitely improved, but sometimes I still get buffering with Netflix. However, this may be my internet connection itself and not the router, so if you have a slow internet connection (or one that slows down during busy times like mine) then don't expect a new router to solve all your buffering problems.

I really like the USB ports on the router. It has two. So far, I hooked my printer directly to the router and voila, I can print from virtually any device in the house wirelessly. Look ma! I didn't have to spring for new printer to get wireless printing. This savings just about paid for the router, as I was looking to spend a little less than what this router cost on a new printer so that I would wireless printing available. My old setup had the printer connected to a Windows XP desktop and the desktop connected to the router. This allowed wireless printing from laptops with 32-bit operating systems, but Windows Vista, 7 or 8 systems running in 64-bit mode, could not communicate to the printer. Also, certain pdf files and other files containing graphics would not translate through the XP machine to the printer and print properly. I have not experienced any of those problems with Netgear.

All in all, I am very pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone as a good solid Wi-Fi router for a home or small business network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yea - Got the V2 Router first try!, November 23, 2013
Cynthia E. Anastasio (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews I was a bit concerned about ordering the V2 router. I decided to go ahead and try. Amazon sent out the V2 router first time. It was easy to set up and we haven't had any problems. We are thrilled with this router!