5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied with this user friendly product
Excellent product, very easy to setup and use. Glad someone found how to make a device that will allow electronic devices that can only take ethernet connectiion but are far away from a Router and running a Cat5 Cable is not an option.

Published on June 16, 2010 by Neolinux123

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Adapter will not stay connected
Disclaimer: I am a very experienced network technician. I am not a clueless user who is having a problem.

Published on August 18, 2011 by Joel P

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely satisfied with this user friendly product, June 16, 2010
This review is from: NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter (WNCE2001) (Personal Computers)

I have Replay TV DVR that only takes ethernet cable to update TV Guide and due to this I was stuck with using this unit only at a location where I had access to ethernet cable, I bought the Netgear WNCE2001 and now I am able to use my Replay TV anywhere around the house.

I also tried connecting this to a 24 port switch and was able to plug in devices into the switch and access internet...so in essence it made my 24 port switch into a 24 port wireless switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Device and Price is Right!, August 14, 2010
WOW! I purchased the Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter today and I was a little hesitant because it less expensive than other similar devices I've seen. Once I got home I opened the package and my Mac computer was connected to my WiFi Connection at home within minutes, so simple to set up. You can do a WPS automatic Connection if your wireless router supports that feature or you can set up the device using your computer (which is how I connected my device). I powered up my device and then connected the included ethernet cable to my Mac and opened the browser. The Netgear setup screen appeared and showed all the wifi networks available near me. I selected my network and less than a minute later I was connected. I suggest you connect the device wherever you're going to use it so you won't have to unplug and move the device like me. I purchased this adapter to connect my Samsung Blueray Player to the internet. Works perfectly, watching Netflix Streaming Movies and Listening to Pandora with no problems. Good range with this device as well, my wireless router (Belkin) is on the second floor of my house and the Netgear Internet Adapter is in the basement, works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, August 19, 2010
SkyeNoir (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When we first got our PS3, I had looked and looked for something like this adapter but found nothing. (Our original 20GB doesn't have built-in wifi). Getting the PS3 connected to the internet turned into some of a chore, eventually settling down to a mini PC with wifi providing network connectivity via Internet Connection Sharing under WinXP. Not a good setup.

On the side, I also do work on PCs and Macs. Getting them online for the latest OS updates, drives, etc was always a task that involved transporting loads of files via USB drive and then adding a wifi dongle as needed. Not exactly ideal, but dragging an network cable around the place wasn't appealing either.

When the Netgear device came along, I was more than ready to give it a shot. Setting it up with our network info was quick and painless, just followed the onscreen instructions. Once done, I tested it with my netbook to make sure all was well. Within about 30 seconds, it was online and ready to go. Next came the PS3, which also accepted it without a hitch after half a minute or so. And finally, I started taking it around to various computers and plugging it in. Not a single item balked at using it, and transfer speeds were very good.

About the only complaint I could make about the unit is the time it takes to connect to your network initially. It's under a minute, but, I'm impatient. It certainly takes a good deal longer than any of the other wifi enabled devices we own. But, really, unless you're moving it around a lot, it isn't something you're likely to notice. (And you're likely to be more patient than me.)

One other thing I'd like to note is the dual power options. The unit comes with a small wallwart, but, you can power it up via USB port. Both work equally well, and have their benefits. The difference is that if you use USB, the unit will power up and down with whatever you have it plugged into, which is when you might see the lag in connecting. If you use the wallwart, then the unit stays on all the time and you will only see the lag the fist time you use it.

It's a very nice tool to have on hand, and the price is on par with a number of the standard USB wifi adapters that can't be programmed. So far, range hasn't been an issue, but I haven't tested it extensively. I also haven't tried using it as an input to another wifi router, though I plan to at some point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but was REALLY hard to set up, November 28, 2010
Brian Fuchs (Thousand Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this to give WiFi access to a security system. While many people reported that it was easy to configure, it was a bear for me.

I did as the instructions said: disconnected internet access from my PC and connect the adapter, then launch a browser. I did this on my Windows 7 PC, and using Internet Explorer 8, it never went to the configuration page. 100% of the time, it resulted in a "could not connect" screen.

I was able to configure the device through my Windows XP laptop, but again - not using Internet Explorer. Only Firefox would go to the right page.

The second hurdle was the WiFi password... The configuration page shows a Passcode (with a "generate" button and four empty Key slots. I had no idea what to do here. I knew my WiFi key, but had no idea what to do with it on the configuration page. I first tried entering the key in the Passcode box, and then I hit generate. It created 4 different keys. I tried each one, and met with failure each time.

Turns out all I had to do was leave the Passcode blank and just enter my WiFi key in one of the four key entry slots. The simple instructions sure could have used that nugget of information.

Once configured, the device worked like a charm.

So for function, I give it 5 stars.
For clear instructions, I give it 1.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Adapter will not stay connected, August 18, 2011

This is a nice looking adapter, feels well made. I was hoping this bridge would work seamlessly with my Netgear cable modem/router, they are the same brand. Big disappointment, and I really think Amazon needs to allow a rating of zero for products like this.

Setup attempt #1-4: Tried to connect using WPS, since both the brand new router and the adapter both have the feature. It will not connect for the first 8 times even though both router and bridge are less than 10' apart. Finally on the 9th attempt, it connects and works flawlessly... Suddenly while streaming Netflix the next evening it quits working and will no longer connect. Finally after a dozen attempts to reconnect during which time I repeatedly power cycle both the bridge and the Netgear router, am forced to do a factory reset. Again, same process - multiple attempts using WPS fail until it finally succeeds on the 10th or 12th try. Works again for 24 hours to the minute, and then disconnects again. Another factory reset, multiple failures using WPS. Getting suspicious, the next night I connect both a laptop and an Android device to the router to see if they lose connectivity also. No problem with them, but the bridge is once again dead. Finally figure I will manually configure this.

Setup attempt #5-7: Follow the steps in the user manual (written in absurd ChinEnglish) and connects on the first attempt. I am happy, thinking maybe the WPS just sucks on this device.

24 hours later to the minute from the time of connection, device again dies. It will not reconnect on a power cycle of either the bridge or the router, so another factory reset. This same process occurs the next day as well, so finally call Tech Support. They assure me there is no setting in the router which should disconnect using either method, and state that once connected, it will remember the security credentials until I reset them.

Following two hours during which Netgear cannot find any reason for this to occur, they agreed to replace it. They send an email to process the RMA, which I promptly process and receive confirmation of. Three weeks goes by, during which time nothing shows up. When I call Netgear seeking status of the RMA, they say nothing has been done on it and it will not be shipped to me unless I pay additional fees since the device is now over 2 weeks old.

Fortunately for me, I am still inside the Amazon return window by 4 days and sending back to them. At least they have the buying power to force Netgear to make good on this.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 23, 2011 11:25:45 AM PDT
Hi Joel,

We apologize for the difficulties you had with customer service and we'd like to help. When you receive the new adapter, if you have any problems, contact us directly at amazon@netgear.com.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Easy Set-up and It Works Perfectly!, January 22, 2011
Big Halos Fan (The OC, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I won't go into the product features, as those are well-established on the Amazon page. Here is my set-up and installation process:

I have a DirecTV HD-DVR that does not have built-in Wi-Fi access. It must have an ethernet "corded" connection to receive the internet and get access to hundreds more movies to view. Our cable modem is upstairs at the far opposite end of the house, so to get strong reception from our Netgear Dual Band Wireless Router (WNR3300) I set up a Hawking Wireless Range Extender (330N...that is an excellent solution for weak wi-fi on a different level...see the positive reviews here on Amazon) to improve my wi-fi downstairs (which it does with 5 bars).

For installation, I could have tried the simplest means of WPS security by linking it with the upstairs Netgear, but that only pushes 2 bars downstairs. So I linked the Netgear Wi-Fi Adapter with the Hawking Extender to give me maximum reception. To do that, I used a laptop PC and first connected the Wi-Fi Adapter to the PC. Once the lights went steady, I opened Internet Explorer and it immediately defaulted to the NetGear website. Then I followed the steps for set-up. Yes, the set-up does ask you WHICH wireless network do you want to connect to. So I connected to the one running off my Hawking Extender. That is password protected, so it had me enter the password key. I did that and within seconds, it said my Wi-Fi Adapter was successfully set-up.

I then unplugged everything from my PC, moved the Wi-Fi adapter into the entertainment center where my DirecTV receiver is set. I plugged in the ethernet cable from the Wi-Fi Adapter to the back of the DirecTV unit and powered it up with the power cord. The lights came on, and then I went to my DirecTV set-up and tested the connection: PERFECTION. It worked just as advertised! The only thing to remember is to recognize that even though the Adapter works off Wi-Fi to get its signal, it is actually a WIRED connection to the device you are setting it up for.

I am no tech expert so believe me when I say this is one of the easiest products to set-up I've ever experienced. Bravo to NetGear for making something so simple to use that solves an otherwise difficult problem many of us face: how to get a corded internet connection to devices set far away from ethernet ports.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performace, little documentation, August 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have the WNCE2001 connected to my TiVo HD so I can put the TiVo in a location that doesn't have an Ethernet cable. It plugs into the Ethernet jack on the TiVo and receives the signal from my wireless router such that the TiVo believes it's connected to a wired LAN.

I'm using 802.11N and performance is pretty good. Compared to an older 802.11G access point that I'd been using it downloads video from my PC quicker and seems peppier when streaming NetFlix movies. I like the multi-color LED that gives you some indication of signal strength. I've noticed that it's green (strong) most of the time, but I do see it turn yellow on occasion. I also like the size - smaller than a pack of cards, so it's easy to keep visible for better reception.

I gave it only 4 stars primarily because of the very slim setup instructions. If you're a novice and don't have a Netgear Push N' Connect router you won't get any hand-holding from the one-page slicky in the box. My router is not Push N' Connect compatible so I had to set it up the old fashioned way.

Setup was pretty straight forward but the browser did not "automatically" take me to the setup page the first time I connected as the instructions state. It doesn't provide much in the way of troubleshooting suggestions here, but after disconnecting and reconnecting a couple of times the setup page finally came up. Be aware that in the FAQ on the back side of the instructions it does state that your PC must be setep for a DHCP IP Address. This seems like a critical piece of information that should have been part of the step-by-step instructions on the front.

The setup pages are nothing fancy and don't provide any additional help, but they get the job done. The only minor complaint here is that the setup page replaces your typing with '*' as you enter a WPA encryption key, which makes it hard to be sure you're entering it correctly and seems unnecessary for the typical home user. Oddly, once you've entered the key correctly it then displays it in plain text on the status page.

Overall I'm happy with the product. Aside from the minor glitch getting to the setup pages it has worked flawlessly. It's pretty easy to use, but if you're a novice you might need to call a techy friend if you get stuck during setup.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Signal Reception, December 20, 2010
I purchased the Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adapter hoping to hook up a new DVD player with internet capabilities, where I did not have a ethernet connection available. Set up was easy and it quickly found and configured to my router. I have a Cicso N router that gives me great coverage. Once connected, the Netgear Universal router indicated it's signal strength was poor (showing a red light). This surprised me as I have great signal strength throughout my house and a Samsung wireless USB plug next to it has great signal strength. The only time it would show a green ligth (strong signal connection) was if it was in the same room as the router. Since I was not sure if this was the fault of this one unit, I ended up returning for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ethernet bridge device so far!, September 19, 2010
Irene Bevilacqua (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Since installing Verizon Fios w/Actiontec router, I needed a way to get my HPLaserjet 2420 which is ethernet enabled, to wirelessly connect to the network which is now located 3 floors down from where it was prior to this.

I know there are ethernet bridge devices out there, not many, but I was told the best one to use was the Cisco WET610N which would act as a bridge on the network. Well, after installing the CD, which I never do as a rule, I spent the next 6 hours without ever getting the device to work wirelessly. Got to end of CD configuration and after confirming all settings, I received an Error 107 message: unable to detect wireless device! Spoke to the Cisco tech who I could barely understand, and then determined this thing was either faulty or crappy or both! Back to Best Buy. That was yesterday.

Today, I decided to try the Netgear WNCE2001 as a last resort. When I unboxed it, I noticed it was the size of a deck of cards, no installation CD, but 2 ways to obtain power: either USB or power outlet, and figured since it was so darn tiny, it would never work, especially for an ethernet printer, as this device had recommendations to be used for home entertainment devices, PS3 boxes, etc., but it never mentioned "printers", nor had anyone reviewed it that used it for a printer setup. So, I had my hesitations.

It needed to be set up differently than the Cisco, which was a true bridge setup. This Netgear required you to hook up directly to your computer's ethernet connection and go to their webpage for configuration. Rather than disconnect my PC wire, I used my laptop and the USB power, got to the home page, set this up not DHCP but with a static IP which it administered according to the Actiontec, and set the WEP security code in Key 1, hit finish, disconnected the LAN wire, hooked up the HP 3 floors above, hooked up the power outlet, and in 5 short minutes, I WAS PRINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Works like a charm! Cheapest device, best connection for me!

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution if you have ATT 2WIRE router, October 23, 2011
After a week of trying various things to get this unit initialized, I found reviews stating that it does not work with ATT 2WIRE routers (not very universal). Lacks adequate setup manual and customer support.