Published 5 months ago by Agent86

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT RECOMMENDED
I got this unit because of the simultaneous dual bands. The number of models with this feature that also had a cable modem my provider approved were limited

Published 7 months ago by Honkwomp

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is for those less familiar with terminology/settings for these types of devices, July 20, 2014
This review is from: NETGEAR N600 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700) (Personal Computers)
I moved into a new place in LA recently and needed a reliable wireless cable modem & router that was compatible with Time Warner, as I work from home from the computer doing remote software configuration and hold a lot of shared-screen net meetings every day. Although some will advise you to get a separate modem and router rather than a combined unit, I decided to try this combo modem/router ("gateway"), and in 2 months of use, it's been very fast, reliable, and perfect for my needs.

For those who aren't sure what is meant by "dual band," it means that when you go to connect to a wireless network, you'll see two signals there coming from this router that you can connect to (using the default password provided on a little sticker on the unit itself). The 2.4 GHz band connection is slower and likely more congested with most of your neighbors who are probably using this band, but it has a longer wireless range than the the 5 GHz band, which is likely much less congested due to the need for both a 5 GHz capable router as well as a 5 GHz capable wireless card in your computer or device, and much faster (double for me), but with shorter range.

Unless/until you change them using the Genie software (covered below), they'll probably show up in the list as something like NETGEAR for the 2.4 band, and NETGEAR 5G if your wireless card is 5 GHz capable. It's usually a good idea to change these to something more unique so that potential hackers don't know what router/gateway you are using. On with my personal results . . .

I don't like wires, so I only connect wirelessly, and I can only tell you what my wireless connection results have been living in a 1000 sq. ft., 2 bedroom condo in the heart of Los Angeles where right now I'm seeing 16 other 2.4 GHz wireless networks and one other 5 GHz.

Range - While the range is shorter on the 5 GHz signal, for me, it only goes down 1 bar if I move to another room, but this is going to vary by your own floor plan, walls between rooms, how congested your area is with others connecting on the same band and channel, etc.

Speed - I just ran a test while writing up this review and got 104.14 Mbps download and 11.10 upload speeds on the 5 GHz band. I normally get anywhere from 80 Mbps or so at the most congested times of day, to a high of almost 110 Mbps on the 5 GHz band, and anywhere from 40 to 50 Mbps downloads speeds on the 2.4 band, and consistently 10 Mbps or so upload speed on both bands. Again, keep in mind that the speed you may get will depend on what speed you pay your Internet provider for, whether your wireless card is capable of receiving the 5.0 signal to get the faster speed this modem is capable of, network congestion, etc.

Oddly, the card in my newer computer isn't 5 Ghz capable, so I don't' see that network connection in my list when logging on from that computer, while the wireless card in my older computer is 5 GHz capable. Also, my old iPhone 4s isn't, while my iPad 4 is. But for me, getting speeds of around 50 Mbps pretty consistently on the 2.4 band in a congested area with 4 devices connected (not including my wireless printer) is far more than I need to do anything I do with my computers.

Reliability - What was most important to me was reliability with no dropped connections while I'm working, and so far it's been rock solid. In over 2 months, I've had a total of one time where it disconnected at about midnight for about 10 minutes and then connected on its own again without my needing to do anything. I suspect the drop was the cable company and not the unit. I have not had to reset the unit even once.

One more thing I'm pleased about is that my Brother MFC-7860DW wireless All-In-One printer (in a different room than this Netgear Gateway) has no issues scanning wirelessly with this. I was a little concerned because I temporarily lived in another condo for 2 months while waiting to move into this one, that place had a Netgear Gateway, and I couldn't get it to scan wirelessly, something I never had a problem with when I was using my DSL wireless modem from AT&T. This is important for me because I sometimes have to sign and scan documents to send, and it seems like everyone has moved to emailing scanned documents instead of faxing.

I found the Netgear Genie software intuitive and easy to use/navigate. To log in, simply type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in your browser, or "routerlogin.net" (works the same). There, you'll see a place to type in a username and password. The default username "admin," and the default password is "password" (unless/until you change it), and you're in!

From there, you can do all sorts of things including seeing what channels your neighbors are on so that you can pick a less congested channel. I let the software choose the least congested channel for me (choose "Auto" for this). You can also change the default connection password from the one on the sticker on your Netgear unit if you want, see the status of your cable connection (good, fair, etc.), a network map showing the number of devices connected to the router/gateway, what they are (if you see something unfamiliar, someone might be on your network), set parental controls, and even enable a "Guest" wireless network that visiting guests can use to connect, separate from your own so that you don't have to give them your connection password.

One last thing. From the other reviews I've read, you can't connect to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with this unit. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need to care. Until recently, my work required using a VPN for certain things. Fortunately, this is no longer the case. Otherwise, this device wouldn't work for my needs.

I hope this review helps others who have either already purchased it, or might be considering it. Again, I can only give you my experience with this device after using it for 2 months. Your results may vary.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than a "rental" from the Cable Co., March 22, 2014
I was paying $4.99 a month for the only version available, a low end modem, from the cable company here on Hawaii. Take that and tax, you're looking at $5.22 a month in a fee that also required me to purchase (or rent) a router. Boxes and wires everywhere.

This item, the Netgear N600 (C3700), is super. I no longer pay a fee to the cable co. and no longer need a router. It comes with a cable co. coaxial cable input, power cord plug, and two outputs to Ethernet cables. I am using both outputs, and also have a wireless desktop, wireless printer, 2 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray players, a Nexus 7, and an iPad Mini running off this modem. It's perfect. No longer a dropped signal, never slow regardless of units online, as was the case with the rental. I have Pandora music on all-the-time and no problems. Smooth sailing and you should research this modem further prior to buying so you know what you're getting... although I've already stated its positives and NO negatives to it. It pays for itself in around a year (in rental savings) and then you're completely free riding from increasing cable co. fees and taxes on a low-end, always something requiring "resetting" garbage modem connecting to a router. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 17, 2014
I bought it yesterday to replace TWC modem. It's much faster than similar product I was using before. Dual wireless of 2.4 and 5G is super cool and handy.
I will change my review, if it broke or any thing happened with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this so much, March 18, 2014
I would recommend Comcast customers to buy this modem

easy to activate (using self-installation from Comcast)

Fast download and upload speed

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear C3700 or Motorola SBG6580, April 15, 2014
I had a separate Motorola modem and a Netgear N router, which were 9 and 4 years old respectively. I decided to replace these and was comparing between ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 and Netgear C3700 modem with N router combo. After going through the specs I found 2 major differences between them -
- Netgear has a USB 2.0 port but Motorola does not. If you want to connect an external drive, this is an issue with Motorola.
- Netgear has only 2 Ethernet ports and Motorola has 4. If you plan to have more than 2 devices wired to the modem then this is an issue with Netgear,
I decided to go with Netgear as I wanted a USB port. I hooked up a USB drive to the port and now I can use that drive as a network drive and access / backup my files over the Wi-Fi. I also hooked up my Vonage phone router and it works perfectly. In last 10 days I have not yet experienced any dropped or slow connection.
I downloaded the Netgear Genie app on my iPhone 4s and iPad. The app is a big disappointment - Network Map, Traffic Meter, hang up every time. Neither I find the UI user friendly. These features work fine on the computer though.
Except for the Genie app I am happy with the purchase. Hope Netgear comes with an updated app soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT RECOMMENDED, May 12, 2014

We have a dense neighborhood and from my living room, I can detect 6 or 8 wireless connections strong enough to be usable. Luckily, all of them are on 2.4 ghz. That means the 5 MHz is open and without any competition. I chose this router because I wanted to put as many devices on the 5 ghz band as I could because no one else around was on it, while still being able to get a couple of older devices that are are 2.4 ghz only

My house is 1315 sq ft single floor, 3 bedroom house. The range from the router to the living room is less than 30 feet and there are no walls between the laptop, tablets and the Roku and the wireless router.

My desktop uses a Netgear 80211 AC USB wireless adapter. Although I am less than 20 feet from the router, there are two walls between the desktop and the router. Signal strength is 2- 3 bars out of 5 on the 5ghz band and 5 bars on the 2.4ghz band

The 2.4ghz band works well and has good range.

This unit has poor reach on the 5ghz band. While one of the drawbacks of the 5ghz band is decreased range, this model seems to have a weaker than expected range. I owned a Netgear N600 dual Band router that was not a cable modem and was very happy with the reach and range. I am sad to say this this model does not have the stellar performance of the router only model that it shares a name with.

If I had to do it over again, I would look at other models or brands or just get a cable modem, and then purchase a standard, non cable modem model. While I am not so disappointed as to pursue a refund, I would not buy this model if I knew then what I know now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update June 1, 2014
I want to state that prior to this review, I have been satisfied with the numerous other Netgear products I have purchased.
As advised by the comment below, I emailed Netgear. I copied this review in the email so they would know why. It is nearly a month later and no response.
The router continues to be problematic, with very poor 5ghz signal strength and I have had to reboot it several times. Devices randomly disconnect and have to be reconnected to the device.
I have changed my review from 2 stars to 1 and have changed the title to not recommended.
This device is very disappointing, even more so given my satisfaction with previous Netgear products.

Update 2 July 13, 2014. I finally gave up completely on the wireless part of this router. I disabled it, then hooked up a competitors product, a dual band wireless router, to one of the lan ports. The difference was quite striking. Where I had a weak 5ghx signal on this routher, the competing product was 5 bars all over my 1315 sq foot house I wrote a review on it right after posting this update

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Sub-par customer service. Questionable hardware quality., July 14, 2014
I got this router as a replacement of Motorola SBG6580. Setup was easy with the help of Comcast support and admin tool. Huge issue keeping the connection stable, specially 5GHz. My main reason to buy this is the simultaneous dual band feature which is of huge disappointment to me from the moment I started using it.

I was losing connection on 5GHz band while sitting next to the modem/router. I contacted Netgear customer support several times (phone as well as online chat). They help me make some change of settings but fail to make it work. Eventually customer support told me to return the product to store. This is bit shocking to me since I was expecting Netgear to send replacement. Now I can't return as the product is outside return policy period.

Not happy with the buying decision.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 15, 2014 7:14:05 AM PDT
Hello John,

The standard NETGEAR warranty is as follows:

1 year hardware warranty
90 days phone support
Email support is valid for warranty support period

If you would like some assistance please email us at amazon@netgear.com with a copy and paste of your review. Also include any case numbers you received from support-- we would like to investigate your case.

We apologize for the problems,

NETGEAR Team

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All in One Cable Modem and Router, March 13, 2014
First things first, full disclosure. I received the beta version of this NETGEAR product for free as a part of their testing effort. That being said I am intimately familiar with the device and can provide some good feedback. Overall, this device is a great product for the product for the price. Like everything it has it's pros and cons and whether you should buy it will be driven on your individual needs.

Pros
1. I live in a 2500 Sq Ft ranch style house with a long floor plan. This device provides excellent throughput throughout my house. Whether you are at the edge of the house or next to the modem, the wireless range is great.
2. Unlike many wireless routers and modems, I rarely if ever have to restart it. I have had it now for the last 3 months and have only had to restart it once. This is amazing considering the fact that the last router I had forced me restart it at least once a week.
3. For those of you with need for parental control features this is a great device. It allows you to create general blocking filters so that your kids or husbands don't get into anything naughty.
4. Great if you want to consolidate your wireless router and modem.

Cons
1. There are only 2 ethernet ports. If you need more than that you will need a switch or an old router.
2. As stated in the name of the product this device only supports N wireless networks. AC is not provided.
3. The administrative console is not touch friendly on an iPad. It is usable but not optimized.

If you can live with the cons (which I think most people can) this is a great purchase. You can replace two products for the price of one. What more could you ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Modem with FAST Wireless, March 17, 2014
I really enjoy this modem. In the past i have always felt like my internet performance was severely hindered by wireless but this modem and it's built in wireless have removed that road block to my internet performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speed, O.K. range, easy install, September 27, 2014
Mr. Bill (Brighton, MI) - See all my reviews
I am finally actually getting something near the speed Comcast advertises! The difference between the current set-up and what I had with Comcast's rental rip-off modem is very obvious, and I appreciate the gain. The installation was also easy, as I experienced none of the issues some others noted with Comcast in getting the unit activated (in part because some of the reviews written by those who had trouble helped me be prepared with information). If you have the box in front of you and give Comcast the S/N and MAT # as they appear on the box you are all set. The whole install took about 15 minutes, including Comcast activation time.

What I did not get is a meaningful increase in range. There may have been a slight gain vs. the Comcast box, but that is all.

Overall, I'd certainly recommend this unit!

NETGEAR N600 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700)
$149.99 $124.99