1,104 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the speed and range for HD needs! (R6300v2)
UPDATE 2/12/2014
I will no longer recommend this router. Only two firmware updates since the release and main issues are not addressed. I've upgraded to R7000 which has a lot more support.

UPDATE 12/26/2013
Recently purchased a few latest AC routers specifically Asus RT-AC68U, Linksys EA6900, Dlink DIR-868L, Netgear R7000 and ended up going back to...
Published on May 31, 2012 by Just. Review. Guy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bug-ridden product with terrible support, not a good combo.
I've been giving Netgear support a few days to deal with my $200 paperweight but they are pretty much non-responsive to my problems so you gentle reader get my scathing review.

I was a previous Netgear die hard, I used them almost exclusively before the N standard. When Belkin brought out a Pre-N router I jumped to them and have really liked their products and...
Published on November 20, 2012 by William G. Finley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5111 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Works fine until you have a power failure!, July 15, 2013
BASAFA (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300) (Personal Computers)
I was excited about new AC protocol and wanted to have the best and the greatest router. Went out of my way to pay $200 for this router just to find out that any time that I have a power failure or disconnect the power cord, I will have a nonfunctional router. Google "Green blinking light of death netgear" to find out what I am talking. The only way to make router functional again, is to have another way of having an internet. Download their firmware and after a very prolonged and confusing set off commands, to manually put the firmware again on the router as the firmware gets corrupted each time the power gets disconnected. That is not acceptable. My 5 year old Zyxel N router still keeps all the setting after all these years without even being used and my fancy new AC router creates all these headaches. I do not need this. I should have had ASUS. Big mistake.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Customer Service EVER!, June 24, 2013
I've purchased a lot of products off of Amazon before but this is my very first bad review. The Netgear product in general is absolutely horrible. It's just a bad product that i will never buy again. I've had the same problem with this product for several months and i've complained to customer service only to be given a temporary fix that last about 2 days. I asked them if i could just get a replacement since it has a limited lifetime warranty. I was always told that they cannot replace my product until they troubleshoot. Well after the troubleshoot they seem to always get it up and running again by resetting everything which takes about an hour or so. Well, no surprise that a few days later the router stopped working again so i must again connect directly to my cable modem, if i want to get some work done, which works fine when connected directly. And speaking of the Netgear Customer service. Wow! Talk about bad, they are awful. No one i've talked to in customer service can speak proper english so it's hard trying to understand what it is actually being said. It gets so frustrating that you want to just give up and say screw it. When you ask to speak to a supervisor all i get is another person with broken english. Really? And most of the time they just talk right over you. And if you question anything that they say they constantly hang up on you. I'm finally done dealing with Netgear and me and my family will never buy another netgear product again. I was told a few days ago that my "support warranty" has now expired so they can no longer give me telephone customer support unless i pay for an extension. So where does that leave me at the moment? Well i have a router that is complete crap that i paid good money for. Netgear is the worst customer service department i've ever had to deal with and i will never deal with them again. I wish i would have did a google search on "Netgear Customer Service Reviews" before i purchased their product. If i had, it would have definitely saved me some money and a lot of unnecessary headaches.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps loosing WiFi and occasional LAN DO NOT BUY!, November 9, 2012
Michael Braun (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this router because we have a lot wireless N equipment and stream a lot Netflix and TV Shows, wanting the speed for them accordingly. I have been `tinkering' with routers for over a decade so am far from a novice. I found out too late that this R6300 Router(s) has some serious bug/issues, be it firmware or Hardware or both. I also found the Netgear Support is / can be intimidating. The product has a one year warranty but this is worthless if you have to call them after the 90-days phone support.
After 90-days they want you to PAY in order to speak to a Technician or to get any type of answer on simple question. To ridiculous to name, so I would warn people to stay away from Netgear. After tonight I will urge you to pass up to this product. The specifications sound great, its what made me buy one
Please note that I am very spoiled and know what good customer or technical support is, I used to work in (computer) Retail industry for over Five years, even had my own computer business for several years.

Here is my issue with this device, the R6300 Router keeps kicking us off our wireless and LAN Internet connection. (Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
I have been trouble shooting myself for about a week or so and with this R6300 nothing would help.
Any and all changes would result in the same problem. It does have the latest firmware, as this is even urged to do by a piece of paper inside the box it came with.

For the `neutral' bias needed for my trouble shooting I used my old wireless routers;

I have 3x Linksys Routers and 1x Netgear Router that never ever had these issue (Linksys; EA4500, N600, WRT54G2 and 1 Netgear router WNDR3700). I was able to verify that it is this Netgear R6300 Router that is the problem by swapping them out with this problem child R6300. None of these gave me the problem as the R6300. So I decided to call Netgear, using the 1.888 number found on their website.
They have a long wait before your get to speak with a live person. (5-10 minutes)

I made 3 calls today and still no resolution. First time was around Lunch time, I was given a case number and was told it would stay open until I would call back later this afternoon from home as when I called I was @ work and as such not close to the Router.

The 2nd call I made from home. When I called I found to my surprise they had no record of my earlier call? The case # I was supplied with could not be found? Duhh...I always verify what is said, professional habit, so the information and case# should have been there. This was my first indication of what way this would be going....not a very good start.... .

After answering the same questions the 2nd time we walked through some (wireless) setting and was told to make a few adjustments to:
* Enable SSID Broadcast, was already checked....really ?!
* Channel, change it to Auto, (was set to CH-11 by me, highest channel, is highest power)
* Security Options, was already set to WPA2-PSK [AES] as I always use N and this is standard needed setting for maximum performance / through-output.
Some other setting needed to be 2340 for two more entries .... duh...

I was told that this should take care of the problem and if this would not take care of the issue I was to call back directly after 1 or 2 hours. An RMA would be issued. I was explained that;
This R6300 Router would need to be returned and only after they received it a brand new one would be send back.
The first return option is that I need to ship back the defective unit first and only after having received it, they would send me a new unit, which would take somewhere between 5-7 business days.
I would need to pay for shipping it back (What about the warranty? I still have 251-days hardware warranty). A decent customer support would send a new unit and pay for both ways, one would have a return shipping label in the new box which could be used to ship back the old defective unit.

The second option would cost me $ 17. They would ship me a new modem first. Would also take 5-7 business days and I would need to send the old modem back with the return label.

The Third and final option was said to be a One (1) Business day for shipping a new unit to me, costing me $ 30, would take 24-hours to 48-hours. Uhm why call it 1 business day if it can be also 48-hours? Same thing thereafter, need to ship defective unit back within 10-days.

I was given a new case# and told that an RMA would be issued if the issue remains.
I was told to call back after about 1-2 hours, so I called back and instead of getting an RMA as promised, they wanted me to go back in the settings and make again changes?! Duhhh

Again, seriously.. This time the settings were those of older B/G wireless routers, totally absurd.
This supposedly state of the art R6300 settings needed to be set back from the maximum settings like from 450Mbps to 54Mbps speed? Next I was lectured that this device can only handle four wireless devices at a time and by setting the speed lower it should work better?! Again are you serious? The Netgear person would not budge, I was told he needed to get these steps done in order to try and see (again) if it would improve things. By that time I was boiling from anger.

I am still cooling off as I am having a faulty product that needs to be replaced for a new (same) working model. Yet to Beta test a brand new Model..duhhh..... the poor support person kept his cool but as sadly was the case, he was a what I call " script - reader ", put me several times on hold to talk to a Supervisor...

Duh... as If I had not tried everything even before I made the call. As said I have already pin-pointed the problem by using my older Routers, 3X Linksys, WNDR600, WRT54G2, EA4200, 1X Netgear WNDR3700. None of these have any problem so go figure. I think I'll going to address this with consumer reports as it still has 251 days of hardware warranty and I was told it would be exchanged to be send out into the woods with the remark that next call would needed to be charged as I was passed my 90-days phone support. So read and weep, I'm stuck with a product that doesn't work and did not get the promised RMA. I would loved to have a new unit to use it for all my wireless devices, 4x Notebooks, not all at once, 4 Android phones, 1x Smart TV, 1X BD Player and 1x LAN Desktop. I have had issues before with Netgear, business type equipment, same thing, no support although it was said a product had a lifetime warranty but ended up in having to buy a brand new Next Revision Model of the one that had still warranty. Ridicule galore so in my opinion look the other way for a different brand when you are looking for a good product, with good support, netgear is NOT the place to go. Be warned.! Looking into Linksys EA6500 or ASUS AC66 to replace this piece of junk. I lost $ 200 which is what I paid for it. Hitting my head against the 'figurly speaking' wall. I feel ripped off Netgear. Are you going to do anything about this or?

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wi-Fi Router is good., August 1, 2012
Wow with
2 iPhone
1 iPod
1 iPad
2 Desktop
2 Laptop
My internet is still fast even though im far from my router LOL plus im 1 floor away from it LOL. This router splits into 2 wifi connections
1) NETGEAR :up 450mbps and 2) NETGEAR-5G :up 1300mbps
1)st wifi when its half a bar it only takes 4 seconds to load complete facebook page and the 2nd wifi connection only takes 1-2 seconds to load facebook page, both from the other side of the house of the router and 1 floor away! Its pretty much worth the money. I recommend putting the router right in the middle of the house. for example if you live in a 2 floor house with a basement put it on the second floor and in the middle of the second floor. It makes the range a lot different. obviously if you are farther away from the router i suggest you connect to the second wifi which is up to 1300mbps the fastest wifi connection name should be NETGEAR-5G. If you connect to the 5g one you will get full bars far from it and still get the same fast speed as being right next to it. My friends have bought this and warned me that after a few month wifi will drop on and off but for right now to me this product is SO WORTH THE MONEY just make sure when you are near the router connect to the 1st wifi which should be called NETGEAR if you didnt change it. Believe me im very surprise!

*****Update - August 15, 2012

Well like i said the wifi is still pretty fast but there are starting to have problems not to serious but i can deal with. The faster wifi the 5ghz one is totally messed up now, it works now and then. That wifi will drop and have connection timeout and stuff like that. When it does work it does get slow at times and fast. But the 2.4 wireless is so much better never had any problems with it the fact that most of my devices are only able to handle 2.4 ghz wireless so when my laptop is using the 5 ghz one there is no excuses for how it performs and the thing is i have like 8-10 devices connected to the 2.4 at the same time i have my macbook connected to the 5ghz one and the 2.4 will be fast as sh*t. But you do have to keep up to date with the firmwire and update it and also change the channels for both wifi at times cause i do see the performance get better when i change the channel when it gets slow. For the 2.4 ghz i would suggest keeping it auto or at 11 and the 5ghz i would 153-161.

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased a year ago, January 29, 2014
This was a perfect router while it lasted which was about a year. Then one of their automatic updates filled with bugs cause a common problem that I've never had with lower end NetGear models. This would be fine if you could simply reset the unit or have some way to download an update to fix the problem but this isn't the case and tech support for NetGear costs money. It makes no sense that I spend $200 on a high end model to have it break down like this due to an error on the part of NetGear and they are not willing to resolve the error they created. This is just bad service. if you're interested in this product just realize that though it works fantastically and has an amazing range, you should factor in the cost of tech support in order to fix the firmware they corrupted. There is an article on this common problem:[...] Seeing as how it occurs frequently and yet no support is offered without shelling out more money its best to go with other competitive choices that will work just as well and come around the same base price but with better service and without all the bugs.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE SUPPORT!!!!!!, September 22, 2013
Jake (Fort Lauderdale, Fl) - See all my reviews
I purchased this unit because it was the best at the time and I have several devices that that would be connecting through this router. Out of the box it worked well, meeting my needs and all worked as advertised. 97 days after I registered the router with NetGear the "Genie" said there was an update for the firmware. As prompted I updated the software and reset the router and reentered all my information. From that point on the router was reduced to 1 to 3.5-mbps from the 20-mbps to 30-mbps that I was achieving before the update. When I called NetGear tech support and reached of course an Indian tech who's accent was so hard to understand that I repeatedly had to ask him to slow down an repeat himself. After explaining to him the problem the tech said "nothing from the firmware update could possibly cause such a thing". Having worked in the tech industry for years I know knew I was either dealing with a liar or a very misinformed undertrained script reader, none of which was going to help me. Additionally the tech explained that you only get 90 days of tech support on a new router from NetGear and that I could PAY for tech support. After explaining that I would not pay for their sloppy updated firmware I was given a "case number" and I would "hear from someone soon" and was then promptly hung up on. I use to think NetGear was a class act but will never use a NetGear product again and will go out of my way to make sure none of my clients use NetGear as well. Bad products, bad service, bad choice, thats NetGear today!

1.0 out of 5 stars A real POS Product :-(, December 7, 2013
I have R6300 v1 NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300). It is a POS! I have had to restore the firmware three times in the past year or so since I bought it. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, and nothing that we have done as users, networking just drops, and the power light icon blinks. By now, I know the drill: I have stored a copy of the latest firmware on my iMac, and I got the TFTP Client shareware app, so I can restore the firmware. But, that's a pain in the butt, but perhaps that's where a POS belongs. (Note: POS is NOT Packet Over Sonnet!) I would replace this router if I knew of one that would work reliably. Netgear, ASUS, both seem to have major reliability issues and lousy product support. Are there any good ones on the market?

1.0 out of 5 stars USED!!! Netgear customer service TERRIBLE!!!, January 29, 2014
Received today, hooked it up. No automatic Wi-Fi connection available. Then when I finally did get some it said "limited" availability. Then I could never get online. I called their customer 24/7 service in India. Not only could I not understand them they couldn't understand me. Then I found out that my serial # was previously registered to someone else. This was a used item!!! They would not help me at all after being on hold and talking to them for an hour. I had to send them proof of purchase then they promise to call within 24 hours. Sure. Call tomorrow while I am at work. That will help. NOT! What a joke four hours of my night down the toilet. It is getting sent back right now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, November 17, 2012
Paul Rich (Savannah, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I spent hours and hours trying to get this router to work. I have installed a large number of routers over my life and have never spent anywhere near the time it took to give up on this one. Some of my products had a fairly fast speed but many of them slowed down considerably from an old Netgear router that I have had for 3 years. Speed drop-offs were from 10mbps to 1.5 mbps. My Iphone and Ipad all slowed to a complete crawl. Most connected via Ethernet wire were fast...I buy a new router for almost $200 and see a huge dropoff in speed? Some of my PCs were the same speed as before. I don't understand why but as soon as I hooked up the old router everything went back to high speed again.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need a new router now, this is a good bet, June 21, 2012
My old router had finally started flaking out after years of faithful service, so I was shopping for a new one, and was originally looking at the WNDR4500. Then I saw this new R6300... so, pay a bit more for this now, so that in 6 months when I start wanting to actually use 11ac I'll have it, or save a bit now, and be kicking myself in 6 months when I'm already itching to replace whatever I bought instead? Duh.

Now, "world's first" hardware for a bleeding-edge draft standard is asking for trouble. Nobody really knows how well this will actually work for 11ac since no clients are out yet. Early 11n days were pretty painful, with lots of compatibility issues. But Netgear and Broadcom are key WiFi makers, and their odds are about as good as they get. Either way, I needed to buy a new router now, and I figured that while this one might not turn out to do 11ac well later, any non-11ac router would definitely feel obsolete very soon.

And in the meantime it's an excellent 11g/n router. It's giving great coverage with strong signals from second floor to basement and decent out into the yard. It also has huge throughput for multi-transfers like solid streaming while doing networked backups or whatever.

If you don't really need a new router right now, you might be smart to wait a few months for more 11ac competitors to appear and their early v1.0 bugs to be stomped. But although it's not the best time to buy an 11ac router yet, it's probably still better than buying one without it if you can't wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5111 | Next ›