1,086 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the speed and range for HD needs! (R6300v2)
UPDATE 2/12/2014
I will no longer recommend this router. Only two firmware updates since the release and main issues are not addressed. I've upgraded to R7000 which has a lot more support.

UPDATE 12/26/2013
Recently purchased a few latest AC routers specifically Asus RT-AC68U, Linksys EA6900, Dlink DIR-868L, Netgear R7000 and ended up going back to...
Published on May 31, 2012 by klas

3.0 out of 5 stars A bug-ridden product with terrible support, not a good combo.
I've been giving Netgear support a few days to deal with my $200 paperweight but they are pretty much non-responsive to my problems so you gentle reader get my scathing review.

I was a previous Netgear die hard, I used them almost exclusively before the N standard. When Belkin brought out a Pre-N router I jumped to them and have really liked their products and...
Published on November 20, 2012 by William G. Finley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5109 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible. Drops connections and shifts from 5GHz to 2.4GHz, November 1, 2012
Shawn Stepper (Redwood City, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300) (Personal Computers)
This router is terrible. Getting it up and running is not a problem, but it can't hold a connection to save its life.
- PS3s (I have 2) and AppleTV frequently disconnect. Requires router reset for re-connection
- MacBook Pro connected to 5GHz gets shifted to 2.4GHz connection for no apparent reason
- Range is no better than my older Linksys 4200 N router
- 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands require different SSIDs, so you can't just let the client negotiate which band to use. My Linksys can handle the same SSID on both, so why can't this one?

I'm returning it to Amazon for a partial refund. I'm past the 30 day return window (I really wanted it to work) but am willing to take an 80% refund for a non-functional product rather than keep it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased a year ago, January 29, 2014
This was a perfect router while it lasted which was about a year. Then one of their automatic updates filled with bugs cause a common problem that I've never had with lower end NetGear models. This would be fine if you could simply reset the unit or have some way to download an update to fix the problem but this isn't the case and tech support for NetGear costs money. It makes no sense that I spend $200 on a high end model to have it break down like this due to an error on the part of NetGear and they are not willing to resolve the error they created. This is just bad service. if you're interested in this product just realize that though it works fantastically and has an amazing range, you should factor in the cost of tech support in order to fix the firmware they corrupted. There is an article on this common problem:[...] Seeing as how it occurs frequently and yet no support is offered without shelling out more money its best to go with other competitive choices that will work just as well and come around the same base price but with better service and without all the bugs.

1.0 out of 5 stars A real POS Product :-(, December 7, 2013
I have R6300 v1 NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300). It is a POS! I have had to restore the firmware three times in the past year or so since I bought it. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, and nothing that we have done as users, networking just drops, and the power light icon blinks. By now, I know the drill: I have stored a copy of the latest firmware on my iMac, and I got the TFTP Client shareware app, so I can restore the firmware. But, that's a pain in the butt, but perhaps that's where a POS belongs. (Note: POS is NOT Packet Over Sonnet!) I would replace this router if I knew of one that would work reliably. Netgear, ASUS, both seem to have major reliability issues and lousy product support. Are there any good ones on the market?

1.0 out of 5 stars USED!!! Netgear customer service TERRIBLE!!!, January 29, 2014
Received today, hooked it up. No automatic Wi-Fi connection available. Then when I finally did get some it said "limited" availability. Then I could never get online. I called their customer 24/7 service in India. Not only could I not understand them they couldn't understand me. Then I found out that my serial # was previously registered to someone else. This was a used item!!! They would not help me at all after being on hold and talking to them for an hour. I had to send them proof of purchase then they promise to call within 24 hours. Sure. Call tomorrow while I am at work. That will help. NOT! What a joke four hours of my night down the toilet. It is getting sent back right now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, November 17, 2012
Paul Rich (Savannah, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I spent hours and hours trying to get this router to work. I have installed a large number of routers over my life and have never spent anywhere near the time it took to give up on this one. Some of my products had a fairly fast speed but many of them slowed down considerably from an old Netgear router that I have had for 3 years. Speed drop-offs were from 10mbps to 1.5 mbps. My Iphone and Ipad all slowed to a complete crawl. Most connected via Ethernet wire were fast...I buy a new router for almost $200 and see a huge dropoff in speed? Some of my PCs were the same speed as before. I don't understand why but as soon as I hooked up the old router everything went back to high speed again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, Terrible Support, Awful Product, March 23, 2014
I've had this router for about 13 months, I had little issues for about 8 of those months then this thing went right down the crapper.

It would constantly dropped connections requiring power cycles on a weekly basis of both the router and modem.

Then it stopped assigning IP addresses all together. Netgear support is an absolute joke. If you need phone support after 90 days you must pay a premium. Their self-service help is as big as a joke as you'd expect. This router is a complete joke, do you not buy it you will regret it eventually. AVOID ALL NETGEAR PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need a new router now, this is a good bet, June 21, 2012
My old router had finally started flaking out after years of faithful service, so I was shopping for a new one, and was originally looking at the WNDR4500. Then I saw this new R6300... so, pay a bit more for this now, so that in 6 months when I start wanting to actually use 11ac I'll have it, or save a bit now, and be kicking myself in 6 months when I'm already itching to replace whatever I bought instead? Duh.

Now, "world's first" hardware for a bleeding-edge draft standard is asking for trouble. Nobody really knows how well this will actually work for 11ac since no clients are out yet. Early 11n days were pretty painful, with lots of compatibility issues. But Netgear and Broadcom are key WiFi makers, and their odds are about as good as they get. Either way, I needed to buy a new router now, and I figured that while this one might not turn out to do 11ac well later, any non-11ac router would definitely feel obsolete very soon.

And in the meantime it's an excellent 11g/n router. It's giving great coverage with strong signals from second floor to basement and decent out into the yard. It also has huge throughput for multi-transfers like solid streaming while doing networked backups or whatever.

If you don't really need a new router right now, you might be smart to wait a few months for more 11ac competitors to appear and their early v1.0 bugs to be stomped. But although it's not the best time to buy an 11ac router yet, it's probably still better than buying one without it if you can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast speed, easy setup, June 18, 2012
My network was seriously slow, and half my devices wouldn't even connect to my old router (Cisco something or other.... I had it for a few years, so I was definitely overdue for an upgrade.) I bought this router, and also a new computer.

Easy setup. Plugged it in, followed the directions, and was on the internet in no time. My printer, which IS a wireless device but previously only worked when it was plugged in by USB just started working with the router, no setup on my part required. Also, my cell phone, which refused to connect to my old network, automatically connected and has been working great.

Speed with this router is FAST, and I have about 8 devices connected at any given time. It warns me when there's high traffic, but it still functions very well. Typically I may have 3 laptops connected - one hooked up to the TV and streaming video, one playing a game, and another surfing the web. Occasionally I'll experience a "loading" delay, but otherwise it's pretty fast.

I have had an issue once or twice with my directv box connection timing out and not downloading, or not being able to watch while downloading, but I left it alone and went back later and the VOD (video on demand) had finished downloading and I could watch it. I think that was a directv issue and not a problem with the router.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the performance. I have a habit of overloading my devices, but so far this one has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great.......until it doesn't, June 10, 2013
I have loved every second of having this router until it all of a sudden stopped working. I have spent 4 weeks with no wireless, over 30 hours on the phone with Netgear support, and been through 4 different routers. To say this has been a disaster is an understatement. Netgear has the worst customer service. Buyer beware, the second anything goes wrong, be prepared to get horrible customer service and they even try to charge you $39.99 for telephone technical support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic range, very FAST, reliable!, November 8, 2012
We traded in a Linksys WRT54G for a MediaLink MWN-WAPR150N, which was cheap and decent but had HORRIBLE range (you get what you pay for). So we sold that one on EBay and got this Netgear R6300. Honestly, we have never had a faster router with better range; it's really impressive. We have a long single-level ranch and it's very difficult to find a router to maintain signal from one end to another (the Linksys was decent, the MediaLink terrible). I placed this Netgear router at one end of the house and we have FULL SIGNAL on all devices from the opposite end of the house (about 70 feet away). Really impressive range, and very fast. A friend recently bought the same router, and it covers the entirety of his 3500 sq ft colonial, and it's located in the basement!

SIMPLE to set up as well. Just plug it into your modem, login to the wireless using the login information printed on the router's sticker. Then direct your computer's internet browser to 192.168.1.1, and use the login "admin" and password "password." From there you can easily change the settings (e.g., wireless name, security type, password, etc).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5109 | Next ›