5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Powerful
With the router that came with my high speed internet service, I had been having sporadic coverage in most of my house including a "weak" signal on my internet enabled TV in the very next room. Streaming movies and even music was hit and miss. I considered getting a range extender but as we all know, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. After reading...
Published on September 3, 2012 by J. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Overall Router If You Can Look Past A Few Issues
UPDATE (2/21/2013)
The security issue I mentioned is only an issue when using DLNA. You will be able to watch videos in any network folder that you have created whether you have set it to admin access only or not. Trying to access the folders through the network to get to anything other than videos will require the login information. I still find this to be...
Published 23 months ago by Frank R. Anderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 6 Months and then Green Flashing Light, July 19, 2013
Randall J. Jakious (Naperville, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC 1200 Dual Band Gigabit (R6200) (Personal Computers)
It worked for about 6 months and then I got a green flashing light. After looking online I discovered that the firmware is corrupt. Yesterday everything is fine. Today it is corrupt. There is a process you can go through to reinstall the firmware. But after reading the reviews the signal I'm getting is that this is going to continue to happen over and over. 6 months is not a long time for a product like this to last. I think I going to move away from Netgear.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PRODUCT>, September 8, 2014
I had bought a new router because I wanted to have the highest possible speeds, and that is only possible with 802.11ac--dual band, gigabit routers. I paid over 200$ for it and was using it but had minor issues with it dropping signal etc. I called the manufacturer who suggested i check the firmware revision and they told me to update it and gave me the location to download the firmware. I installed it exactly how they suggested and after I finished, the router worked, but I could not log in to modify anything. I check with manufacturer, and they said, "yes we have problems right now" Gee, why did you tell me to install it if you knew you ahd problems?

I had seen this one for 53$ as refurbished, and new these are 200$. So I bought it as a gift. When my new router wouldn't work, I was dead so I opened this and hooked it up. RIght out of the box it worked perfectly. I was able to get online to netgears site, and got all the documentation, books, software downloads etc i needed. I hooked up an older usb printer to the USB port on back of modem, and downloaded the "printer share" utility and voila, my printer now works on the network. Before you had to plug USB into computer.

I checked the speeds, and on the 5g channel, the download is about 40 MBPS, and on the 2.4Ghz channel (regular routers use this) It was about 30Mbps). Uploads were like 9Mbps for both. So overall, no tweeking or finie tuning and I am getting much faster downloads. I was getting a fraction of that with my old router.

What does that mean? If I need to download a copy of windows 7 from microsoft, its a 3.3GB file. You can do the arithmetic and see how long it takes to download at 2Mbps and how long it takes at 35/40. Its about 15-20 times faster (or slower). So the time is substantial.

The downside I see to this router is that there is no antennas and I put this on a shelf in a corner room. If I turn the router so the front is facing me, I get 1 bar not lit up on my little signal strength meter on computer. If I turn it so that I am looking at side, all bars are lit. SO I would prefer antennas to move around vs moving the entire router around. Having said that, its 53$. My other one was over 200 with tax, so its a very minor inconvenience.

There are lots of advertisements and claims for high speed downloads, but the reality is the fastest speed you will get is the fastest of the slowest item. Your modem, your ISP, the various network adapter/wireless adapter cards in computers, drivers, all this stuff plays a role. Also, some speeds are in theory (some advertised). The reality is if you can slowly upgrade your network, and see improvement in speed and performance, then you are on the right track.

UPDATE 9/25/2014--Its been about 6 weeks now and its great. I have tried out the ASUS router with the 3 antennas and more money, and found that the coverage is actually better with this, (no external antennas). I am beginning to think the antennas are a gimmick. If you need a big powered one or outside antenna, obviously you need a place to hook it up, but for a normal house, Netgear is obviously smart enough to figure out how to do this without some little rubber duck antenna coming off the top. Ironically the 5Ghz was not as reliable as 2.4Ghz and I mentioned this to a friend who asked me what cable modem I use, and I said "That isn't the issue, its worked perfectly for 10 years", and as I said that, I realized how ridiculous that sounded. Turns out I had an old Docsis 2.0 modem and cox doesn't even support them any more, only Docsis 3.0. Thanks to Amazon, I was able to buy one for 30$ vs 80-100$ at local electronics stores. So now I have no issues, signal strength is excellent, and all is well. This is a very attractive yet indistinguishable device and blends in with just about any decor. There are not a lot of bright flashy LEDS or other distractions, so its a really nice router for home use.

If you need a router, and want to go up to the latest 802.11AC, trust me, you do not need the most expensive, fastest, or most bells and whistles. I have this and have the most expensive ASUS and both upload and download at the same speeds--which I think is a limitation on the cable system and the network cards in the laptops. Yes, I do have AC adapter cards, but my point is that none of them seem to get the speeds that they claim they are "capable" of, so buy accordingly.

Good luck! I will update as experience and situations change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, September 7, 2012
Problem free set up. Two bands worth the price. Strong signal on both bands. Note that the software supports only one band, so that the default name and password sent from NETGEAR must be used on the second band. No problems with that, but it would be better to personalize both bands.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Only 90 Days of support!, April 19, 2014
Stovitch (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
They claim 1 year warranty BUT only provide 90 days of free support; after that, they try to hard sell you an extended "contract" which will provide 1 (for the same price I paid for the router) or 2 years of support (for twice the price I paid for the router). My router stopped working 3 weeks past the 90 day period and there's no way to get support, since they won't talk to you on the phone and I can't connect to their support site on the internet to troubleshoot the router since it doesn't work. So my choices are:

1. Buy their "contract" and call their (foreign) support staff and see if the router can be fixed with some minor software tweak. or:
2. Throw away this POS router and buy another brand that stands behind their products for the same price as their "contract", and chaulk it up to a $130 life lesson.

In summation, I'd review this product as follows:
Pros:

1. It worked for 3 months and 3 weeks, although it never seemed to register the speeds it claimed even though we pay for the fasted internet available.

Cons:
1. It ONLY worked for 3 months and 3 weeks.
2. It never seemed to register the speeds it claimed even though we pay for the fasted internet available.
3. HORRIBLE TECH SUPPORT!
4. Netgear does not stand behind their products even though they claim a 1 year warranty.
5. Try to hard sell you on their service "contract" (which costs just as much as the router) get any support past 90 days!
6. Did I mention the HORRIBLE SUPPORT on this POS router??

Now after my $130 life lesson, I only wish I could rate this router less than 1 star.

EDIT: So Netgear responded to my bad review; they mention their free email support. I wonder how that would work: Day 1: I have to provide all my personal information to them, which I already did twice; once by phone and once by live chat (only to be told each time that that support is no longer available even though I have NINE MONTHS of warranty left on their product). Day 2: they email me to tell me to reset it; of course I already did that. Day 3: they email me to tell me to reset the modem; which of course I already did. Day 4: they tell me to run the Genie software and let them know what it says (which of course I did and it said the router wasn't connecting to the internet, even though the modem was working fine). Day 4: they tell me to reset the router to factory specs, which of course I already did. Day 5: etc, etc, etc. Netgear apparently doesn't care if you have no wireless internet for weeks and months; THEY ONLY WANT TO SELL YOU A SUPPORT CONTRACT THAT COSTS AS MUCH AS THE ROUTER!

Thank goodness for Amazon; this is why I do so much business with them. Soon Netgear, you'll have your bad router back and can scratch off the serial number and sell it to some unsuspecting person, who will have NO SUPPORT at all! I will never buy another Netgear product and have already replaced it with a much better Asus router with 2 YEARS of warranty and support!

5.0 out of 5 stars NETGEAR R6200 Dual Band WI-FI Router, January 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
NETGEAR R6200 Dual Band WI-Fi Router

I have a lot of wireless devices in my household and I am always looking for better range and features from a Wireless Router. I decided to give the NETGEAR R6200 Wireless Router a try.

Short Summary:
This router is a bit of a design change from other NETGEAR routers. It is a desktop or shelf design that is NOT designed for wall mounting. It also does away with all of the annoying blinking lights that generally make a router a problem trying to locate in a home. Now, I am not saying that flashing lights cannot be impressive in an office atmosphere, but I hardly think that it makes a home look appealing.
The new design is basically a black rectangle with a NETGEAR emblem that is illuminated and a couple of very dim status lights at the very bottom. It is not very bright and it does blend in well. The emblem is much like that of Sony, Visio, and other television sets; after a while, you just stop noticing them.

This router works extremely well, has excellent coverage, has an excellent user interface, has a NETGEAR app that you can download for just about every device except Kindle Fire HD to monitor your network with and to share files with, will also use SAMBA to share either storage or a printer which has native support on Windows machines and on Apple computers, supports Kindle Fire and Apple devices (IPAD, ITOUCH) with a SAMBA app.
This unit has the same security hole that every other router I have tried has in that it allows you to log into the device via the wireless using just http instead of https which means that you are broadcasting your user id and password unencrypted over the air. To avoid this sign in only using one of the hard wire router ports. Keep in mind that this same issue is involved with the NETGEAR app (NETGEAR Genie) in that it signs into your network using HTTP instead of HTTPS.

Full evaluation:

Here are the things that I wanted it to be able to do:

1. Support Apple products including IPAD2, IPAD3, and the I-Touch.
2. Support multiple Microsoft Operating Systems to include: Vista Pro, Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Home, Windows 8, and Windows Home Server.
3. Support multiple manufacturers of Internet Enabled TVs
4. Support multiple manufacturers of Internet Enabled Blue Ray.
5. Support multiple manufacturers of Internet Enabled Audio Receivers.
6. Provide full coverage to a two story home of 3300 square feet, and attached three car garage, and coverage to all areas of the 1/3 acre property that the house sits on.
7. Be more esthetically pleasing so that you can locate it in a house WITHOUT it looking like a light show!

I was also looking for a router that could provide the highest level of protection to include the latest security levels on RF with protection turned on as default, the ability to turn off SSID (turning off broadcast ID makes it that much harder for someone to break into the system) and good security on Router Configuration control. It also had to be able to use the latest AC band to provide for multiple streaming videos while also providing adequate support for other functions at the same time.

One of the things you need to understand about dual band routers is that the 2.4 GHz band will pass easily through walls and other obstacles while the 5 GHz band will not. This means that you will generally have the best coverage with the 2.4 band and the worst coverage with the 5 Ghz band. My testing showed this premise to be absolutely correct. The 5 GHz band does fine with one or two walls, but quickly deteriorates after that. Thus the coverage in the yard was almost exclusively the 2.4 GHz band as was most of the garage. However, the fastest data stream was obtained using the 5 GHz band. So, if you are streaming video to multiple televisions (think Netflix and Amazon video at the same time to different television sets) you will probably want to use the 5 GHz band for that function. By locating the unit in the middle of the upper floor of the house, I was able to receive at least 3 bars of signal in every room of the house.

I should also mention here that I tried turning this router several ways and found that the radiation pattern of the signal was generally the same no matter how I turned it! This is an important note which means that you can turn it whichever way works for you for best aesthetics. Remember, this unit needs to be placed on a shelf or other flat surface. It is NOT designed to be wall mounted.
Finally, this router supports the new AC data rate on the 5GHz band as well as all of the other previous standards. It also supports all of the current standards for the 2.4GHz band as well. What this means is that it will support existing equipment and any new equipment that you might acquire. Note: each of the standards (a,b,g,n,ac) are only different ways of encrypting data. The original standard encrypted data at a much lower rate and the newest standard encrypts data at the fastest rate. They all use the exact same radio frequencies!

Here are my results:

First and probably the most important to a lot of folks, this system is very easy to configure! In fact, if pressed, you could just connect cables, power up the unit and run with it! Wireless is preconfigured for security and the unique password for the unit is contained on the strip with the SSID and Network Key on the internal package of paperwork. It also supports WPS which means that as long as your equipment supports it, you can just push a button on the router to have your device automatically connect; no need to type in passwords!

The user interface is straight forward and easy to navigate. You have an enormous amount of flexibility with the configuration of this unit. I was easily able to accomplish my requirement of turning off SSID. This unit also includes a sign-out feature for the administrator and will actually disconnect if you forget and wander off to another website. Using the back button will NOT allow you to connect until you have completed the sign in process again. The only negative I can find is that the unit allows you to connect to the Admin functions via the wireless and does not use HTTPS for encryption. This means that someone could read your password information if they were watching the network.
There is also a Genie app that will run on your computer, Apple device, phone, etc., that will allow you to share files, print, and manage your network. The app is free and can be downloaded from several locations, depending upon the equipment you want to run it on.

Here are my testing results: (Note: not all devices will support both bands! Ensure that your devices support both bands before trying to use them! Many less expensive wireless devices only use the 2.4 GHz band)

For the Apple products, this router supported them with the following caveats: 1. The Apple Touches do not support the 5 Ghz band so that frequency of the router was useless to them. Both of the Ipad models though supported and used both bands. Due to the construction of the Ipads and of the Ipods, reception was not as good in either distance or in quality as any of the other equipment. This has nothing to do with the router and everything to do with the design of the Apple equipment.

For the Microsoft products, I had the best range on both bands with the four different laptops that I tested. I was able to reach over 200 feet from the router with the 2.4 Ghz band and just under 100 feet with the 5 Ghz band.

All three of my Internet enabled Televisions which were located in different areas of the house, floors, and in the garage, were able to connect to the 2.4 Ghz band without issue. Only two of the televisions were able to maintain a consistent connection with the 5Ghz band. The third television (located in the garage) was the farthest from the router and had the most number of walls and floors between it and the router (four walls and one floor). I had the router located on the second floor, in the middle of the house, against the front wall of the house.

All of the Internet enabled radio receivers were able to connect without issue using either band.

All of the Internet enabled Blue Ray Players were able to utilize the 2.4 Ghz band and the 5 Ghz band while only the unit located in the garage next to the Television in the garage could only connect via the 2.4 Ghz band.

By setting up all of my portable units to utilize either of the two bands and to be able to automatically connect, I was able to wander around my yard and maintain a connection with everything except the I-Touches. The I-touches were able to reach out to 90 percent of the yard, but dropped off at the extreme end of the property.

Being able to connect to the USB and whatever device you put on it (Thumb Drive, Hard Drive, Printer) requires that the wireless device you are using support SAMBA. All Macs and all Microsoft Operating Systems support this function. What does not support this function directly are the Apple Touch, the Apple IPAD, and the Kindle Fire. The good news is that you can download a free app onto each of those devices which then allows them to connect to the local resource on your network. This is a great way to share documents and pictures!
You can also use the Genie app from NETGEAR to connect to the share port to either print or share files. This app only allows you to access files on the share drive on your Apple devices; it does NOT allow you to upload or download files to it.

Home Server was quite happy to connect to any device that it will support using either band. The requirement is that you either plug the server into one of the 5 ports on the back of the router or that the server you are using has wireless capability.

The guest network is a very nice feature and it works in such a way that you can isolate that network from your home network. You can also implement parental controls to limit what content can be accessed on either the Guest Network or on your own network.

There are more security and other features in this unit than you can shake a stick at. I tested as many of them as I possibly could and had excellent results with all features. I did not run into a single issue with any of it. To keep this from becoming a book, I will simply say WOW!

As you can probably tell from the above, setup is extremely easy and takes less than 5 minutes from starting to unbox to having the system up and running. The user interface is well laid out and is very intuitive. You can be as simple or as complicated as you want to get with the configuration.

A final comment about the bandwidth that this unit supports. You need to keep in mind that no matter how fast and how much data a router can pass, it cannot make your Internet connection any bigger or any faster! So, if your Internet connection is capable of 10 gigabits per second and your router is capable of 800 gigabits per second guess what? The fastest connection you can get is 10 gigabits per second!! This also applies to streaming video if the source of the video is the Internet (think Amazon Prime Movies, Netflix, etc.). However, if you have a home server with videos, a game server with games, a server that does backups, you are doing file transfers between computers, etc., you will have a lot more bandwidth to be able to do concurrent things!! I will also note that to obtain the fastest data transfer rates you will need to use a wireless device that supports AC standard. The unit I test with the is the NETGEAR A6200. It is NOT certified yet for Windows 8, but does run out of the box on everything up to Windows 8.

I would have to say that this is the best home version wireless router I have ever used and I would highly recommend it! It functions exactly as it should and it is easy to incorporate into your home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, but range is not as good as I hoped., December 1, 2012
I bought this hoping I would get much better range than my last regular router for this price. It does a bit better, but not all that much. I would say it does about 20 feet more than any other router I have had. So I get service in an additional room, but is hit and miss for the patio just outside that room. When I am in range it works great and is very fast. All in all I am pretty happy with it.

EDIT:
I got a new Nexus 7 tablet and that has much more WIFI range than any phones that have been hooked up and my old laptop. So it does matter what kind of device you are pairing it with. I get another 20-30 feet with the tablet.

3.0 out of 5 stars A few data points. The house is 4500 SQFT ..., August 15, 2014
A few data points. The house is 4500 SQFT. The router is in the far room over the garage, and most of the use is done on the opposite side of the house (not by choice, but this set up is neccessary - at least for now - based on cable location). I also have 4 kids - middle school and high school age - they each have a computer, each have data phones. We also have an apple tv. My wife draws from this router as well. Its not unusual to see 16 devices trying to pull from this router. My issue is we/I all use MAC products - airbooks, macbooks, etc. The router constantly drops signal to my computer. Or, my computer constantly drops signal to this router. IN either case its very unreliable. Only time I have issues with networking or getting on the internet with my computer is at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the perfect router for high-end applications, October 23, 2012
I purchased this router because I was having buffering issues with my Roku streaming video player using my old Netgear router. Much to my delight, this high-end router has completely solved this problem, and I'm now able to enjoy streaming video from Amazon, Netflix, etc., with no buffering or any other type of interruptions. It also works superbly with my 3 computers and iPad. I don't know a great deal about how routers works, but I do know that this one makes life a lot easier for me. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars fast fast fast fast, January 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Executive Summary: Works as expected so far, no drama. Beware that the speed of this beast doesn't have you replacing everything that talks to it. This would be five stars but for the weird form factor (pretty trumped utility).

This is a pretty fine little router so far. It has only been in service for a week, but that week has been uneventful. I set these things up old school (through the web interface). The interface for the R6200 is pretty much identical to that of the N900 it replaced. That made it easy to set up. There's a chance that the setting could have been loaded straight from a backup of the N900. Dunno - didn't try.

The R6200 has no trouble handling my various bits of gaming and VIOP traffic. My WiFi devices hooked right into the router and, quite frankly, this router is not the bottleneck in my network. Video streams nicely from laptop/phone to television. HOWEVER... the thing to do is to get devices that can actually use the bandwidth. The rated throughput of the R6200 is ridiculously high. Maybe one of those HDMI wireless dongles will stress it. Maybe some wireless NAS.

Speaking of wireless NAS, the USB port on the R6200 doesn't appear to be USB 3.0. This little beasty is fast enough to use the higher speed. Oh, clarification, the R6200 can turn a USB drive into a network shared drive. Pretty slick.

Now for the bad part of the review. The device has had a bit of a make-over. It seems to be going for the flat-screen look with a big shiny front. This makes it rather pleasing to the eye. The problem is that it also takes 10" of shelf space. The previous model took just over 3". Sure, you can turn the R6200 sideways - but then you can't see them blinken' lights.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not working, March 29, 2013
Install and setup went great. Lots of features - installed when adding other devices. Started getting frequent disconnects from the internet. Presumed it was new devices. Eventually diagnosed to only having two PC's connected to the router, moved it to where it's easily visible - now it's obvious router is rebooting every 15 minutes or so after it has been on all day. Going back - will probably get a Linksys which is what I had prior to this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›