1,775 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars NETGEAR RANGEMAX WNDR3700 - Fast, easy-to-use and rock solid
This router is fast, easy to set-up and smartly engineered. Although this is a high-end feature-rich consumer router, out of the box, I had this running in just a few minutes. Using the simple color-coded 1-2-3 step setup process, an expert, or a novice, can have this router up and running very quickly.

Modifying the two dual band networks for different names...
Published on September 24, 2009 by Dean Redfern

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3 FAILED TO WORK. It's a waste of time.
Published on June 3, 2010 by R. Hoffman

5.0 out of 5 stars NETGEAR RANGEMAX WNDR3700 - Fast, easy-to-use and rock solid, September 24, 2009
Dean Redfern (Indian River Shores, Florida) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: NETGEAR Wireless Router - N600 Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700) (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Modifying the two dual band networks for different names and passwords is straight forward, and I preferred to do it manually. After logging into the firmware, the screens are divided into three panels. The left panel is the list of the feature sets, such as "wireless settings," or "guest network" settings; the middle panel has the pick list of options for the feature set; and the right panel on the screen explains, in the easiest of terms, what the features and options mean. There is little need to refer to the product manual or other help. Everything is in one place, and in the right place.

I attained maximum speeds with each of the dual bands when my laptops were in close proximity to the router. My throughput on the 5 Ghertz band using the "n" protocol was a blazing 300 Mbps. With my previous router, I was never able to achieve anything faster than 130 Mbps. As is the case with the 5 Ghertz channel, this speed drops off quickly as I moved my laptop away from the router. By 30 feet, I was down to 100 Mbps a second, but still relatively fast when compared to the legacy "g" speeds. On the 2.4 Ghertz band, using the "g" protocol, I saw very little degradation within 50 feet of the router.

I streamed a Netflix movie to an HD television flawlessly through a Toshiba laptop and an HDMI cable. There was no stutter in the picture, and the picture quality was excellent. Unlike past video streaming, I did not experience a dropped picture while waiting for the video buffer to reload.

I connected a USB disk drive to the router and shared it among three laptops without incident. I established read and read/write passwords for various file folders on the disk drive. I also made the drive available for access through the Internet, and again this process was straightforward in creating. I plan on backing up the three laptops to the USB drive on the router, as well as sharing photos and other files with family and friends by having them access the password protected IP address of my new network-based disk drive.

In total, you can establish four networks on this router. One for each of the dual bands, and two more as guest networks for each of the dual bands as well. The guest networks are nice as they can completely isolate guests from accessing sensitive information on other PCs or devices on the network. (Or you can open up the guest networks to everything on the network.)

Some other features worth noting are the automatic checking for firmware updates every time you log into the router; the "traffic meter" that shows daily, weekly and monthly internet usage that can be configured to throttle it; and the ability to backup personalized firmware settings in case of an emergency restore. With regard to the latter, it would be nice to also get a saved PDF file of what the settings are for each of the backed-up firmware configurations.

The Netgear WNDR3700 replaced two Linksys routers that I had connected together to essentially create a "dual band" environment. One was an older "g" unit, while the other was a newer "n" router. Together they got the job done in a mixed environment of video and Internet surfing. But the WNDR3700 takes routing to a newer level, with faster processors driving the dual bands to faster speeds and better range; and a big feature set that is easy to use, understand and configure.

SIX-MONTH UPDATE - This router has been powered up constantly for six months now, and it continues to run flawlessly. During this time, two firmware updates have been automatically flagged and applied without incident.

I use many of the key features of this router across the three laptops that are connected wirelessly to the dual bands. Video streaming from Netflix and other Internet sites continues to work smoothly.

Being able to connect a USB disk drive to the router has become a heavily-used feature. The router-based disk drive is the central location for backing up the data from the three laptops. I can backup these laptops locally, or from anywhere using the Internet. When traveling with a camera and a laptop, I am able to easily backup digital pictures to the router's USB disk drive. It is another way to save and protect files when away.

This router is my third, and best to date.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feature rich, high-performance wireless router, October 9, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This high-end wireless router by Netgear is well-designed and comes with a lot of features out of the box. I loved the ability to skip the "insert this CD rom in your computer" installation for dummies method and go straight to the web GUI to set it up. The feature I was most interested in is the USB storage sharing. This feature allows you to plug in any external USB drive, and then share it over the network. This was a convenient target for pushing automatic backups to. If our computer's hard drive catches on fire, I still have backups that I've saved on the USB drive attached to this router. Unfortunately, I ran into a bug when trying out this feature. Netgear support was helpful, however, and helped me get it working in a day.

Pros:

- Feature rich, high-performance.
- Nice vertical stand included.
- USB storage feature turns your external drive into a network share.
- Comes with QoS (a must for VOIP), dynamic DNS, firewall, features.
- Easy to upgrade the firmware and it will automatically check for updates.
- Good documentation.
- Dead-simple installation and you can skip the Insert This CD-ROM install method.
- Ability to set up "guest" network with separate settings in addition to your main network.

Cons:
- Traffic bandwidth monitoring is rudimentary. It is actually very good for an off-the shelf router, but I'm spoiled by my home router which runs Tomato firmware: it has pretty graphs.
- USB storage feature needs work. You can only use your router's admin password to protect your shares. Configuring settings with Google Chrome or non-firefox, non-IE browsers may silently fail (as it did for me). The workaround is to reapply settings with IE or Firefox.

All in all a very solid product. I give it 4.5 stars, as I wasted time chasing down the Chrome/Web GUI bug. I have no doubt this will become a 5-star product as Netgear pushes out new firmware updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Rangemax WNDR3700 Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router, September 24, 2009
Have been running a D-Link DGL-4300 for several years with good results. Needed a replacement with more speed and processing power to handle multi-media, large LAN file transfers and N wireless services.

Tried the D-Link DIR-825, but undocumented MAC address restrictions killed the deal. The router would not accept a non-zero value for the first two characters of the WAN MAC address.

Looked at the Linksys WRT-610N, but was concerned with past Linksys product performance.

Purchased the Netgear WNDR3700 which was getting very good reviews and selling out quickly after release.

Configuration was a breeze with typical Netgear menus. LAN and WiFI speed are excellent.

The DLNA USB device option works great, streaming pictures to our LAN connected Samsung TV.

Guest WiFi access with LAN restrictions makes sharing with guests or visiting family easy.

There have been no issues using Vonage VoIP and transferring large amounts of data at the same time. QOS settings are available in the WNDR3700, but I'm not currently using it. Even with QOS and rules active, the DGL-4300 would sometimes cause the VoIP to stutter during large transfers.

Port Address Translation (PAT) is not available. This makes it difficult to access multiple Port 80 LAN devices from the WAN side.

I rate the unit 4.5+ stars. PAT would have made it a five.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 out of 3 FAILED TO WORK. It's a waste of time., June 3, 2010
This is an amazing router, if the one you have actually works. I got one in April and it worked wonderfully. It's jam packed with features like guest network, USB disk mount, N router on different channels, etc etc. I loved it. I've used Linksys, Belkin, and Dlink, and they all work ok but this is one of the best routers I've ever used. The menus are a bit awkward, but that's normal for a router that is jam packed with great features that I need.

In fact, I loved my first WNDR3700 so much I got two more for my workplace. I got one from Amazon and another one from Fry's Electronics. I configured both to be identical configurations (except for SSID names, etc). Both had the same problem-- the b/g network SSID fail to pop up when I'm on AUTO channel mode. When I set it to channel 11, it would show up except trying to connect to it via WPA2 would not connect at all! To make matters worse, every time I try to change a wireless configuration, the router would halt 2 minutes, then shut off the wireless automatically for no particular reason! I would then have to turn the wireless back on manually. On my good WNDR3700, it would only wait 5 seconds and voila, it simply worked. Here's my question for you techies at Netgear-- why is it that the wireless for these two router turn off automatically after I configure anything on it? Why is it that WPA doesn't connect? Why does the g network disappear if I set to AUTO? Why does it take 2 minutes for each configuration change to occur? I don't have any of these problems on my first WNDR3700.

I returned both of these junk and now I'm considering DLINK. FYI, at Fry's MOST of the WNDR3700 routers were returned routers, which says a lot about the quality of these routers. It's great that Netgear comes out with great products but if they don't have any quality control, their superb products are just junk. I wasted an entire day trying to figure out why the two routers didn't work like my first one. What a waste of time.

JUNK.

1.0 out of 5 stars locks up once a week, January 18, 2010
Brad Bortner (Somerville, MA United States) - See all my reviews
When it works, this router is fine. The 2.4ghz range and throughput is everything one could want. As written about other routers, 5ghz range is quite limited. The usb hard drive functiality is very very slow. Nowhere near a replacement for a NAS.

I've been experiencing lockups about once a week. After multiple calls, tech said probably a hardware problem. That's when I find out that it is Netgear's policy to charge for swapping the router. If I want to send it in and wait for a replacement,its free. If I want them to send me working router first, and then send back the defective unit, they charge $16.00! This is a first in my experience. In addition,their own community shows lots of postings about this weekly lock up problem (see : [...])

All in all, not very happy to have to throw more money at a one month old router that is supposed to be Netgear's top of the line.

Update: received replacement RMA router. It still has the same problem, and now my 90 day support window is closed. There is no email for netgear support to even inform them of a bug. Looks like I'll be spending more money on a Linksys soon. Netgear = buggy router, and infuriating support and support policies.

1.0 out of 5 stars cheating warranty, August 16, 2010
Yue Fang (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this router. It worked fine, for 4 month. Then one day the wifi lose the signal. They claim it has 1 year warranty. So I called Netgear. To my surprise, they claims it only has 90 days warranty. I have to pay 35.00 for half hour to talk to their support guy! the 1 year labor and month warranty does not cover the talk! There is no Netgear document mentions this 90 days warranty. To me it is just bold cheating! I expect better on this high-end router!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy, April 15, 2010
I had issues with the router since day one and thought it was my fault since I had it connected to a Home Server, two laptops, and PS3. The router would constantly reset on its own or when I tried to view a movie that was downloaded to the home server and played back on the PS3 (Connected by LAN) or to the laptop (Wireless N). Thinking, the issue was with the Home Server I kept the unit. About a month later the router would constantly restart when I did a search on the web.

I finally called the customer service and went through all the steps. The final straw came when they told be to do a hard reset and reload the firmware. Then the router stopped working. I ended up getting a RMA with Netgear but had to pay an extra $30 for express shipping. They sent me a replacement that was re-furbished and scratched up.

Now, I am able to view movies using my laptop but not with my PS3. Now I get lost connection issues and the movie stops playing and of course the router resets again only on the PS3.

Save yourself the pain and anguish. Research and go to the Netgear forum before you buy this router. Too many problems.

Recommended you do not buy this router!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 10, 2011 8:12:01 AM PDT
Hi, we are aware of issues with the firmware that was included with certain WNDR3700 units, and have fixed the issues with the latest firmware updates. We apologize for the issues you had and hope that in the meantime you have gotten things to run smoothly.

If you haven't already, you can upgrade the firmware through the router interface, or download here:

You can also contact us directly at amazon (AT) netgear (DOT) com. We want to ensure that your router is working well.

WNDR3700 Support Page: http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/17703

Sincerely,

NETGEAR Team

1.0 out of 5 stars Instantly bricked, no tech support, May 25, 2010
Unit looked good from specs and other reviews, HOWEVER...

After I completed setup, I noticed that this router would not list my network printer as a device that could be assigned a DHCP reservation, so I accepted the suggestion on the internal management website to check for a firmware upgrade. An "upgrade" was automatically found, and I accepted the suggestion to install it. This was a mistake, as the "upgrade" bricked the box unrecoverably. After a long session with tech support, I finally was told that the firmware recovery utility on the CD is apparently not expected to ever work, and they asked me to return the unit for a refund, which I did and ordered a D-Link.

I think it's truly pathetic that a manufacturer coudl design a product that's capable of bricking itself. I know what I'm talking about, as engineering manager for a company that makes (not networking) products that have updatable firmware. Not taking the precautions to check the file, have a fall-back position, etc., is just irresponsible. Will avoid Netgear in the future.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Firmware, May 31, 2010
Rodan (Kirkland, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product because I have a long history with Netgear, their features, and their reliability. The basic features of this router work very well and are easy to set up. One of the key new features, support for a guest SSID, DOES NOT WORK. And this has not worked on any of the Netgear WNDR routers they have sold since February. And they have known this, since their own forum is the source. (See [...])

I am appalled that Netgear would knowingly sell a defective product, one where one of the key selling features did not work, to their customers. And then make them figure this out, call their customer support line, and either have to live without this feature or return the router.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT TILL THEY FIX THIS ISSUE.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 10, 2011 8:07:54 AM PDT

You can upgrade the firmware through the router interface, or download here:

If this doesn't solve your issue, please contact us directly at amazon (AT) netgear (DOT) com.

You can also browse and post on the dedicated WNDR3700 forum:

WNDR3700 Support Page: http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/17703

Sincerely,

NETGEAR Team

1.0 out of 5 stars High expectations - dashed., May 27, 2010
Amazon Customer (Westminster, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the WNDR3700 to replace an old but reliable WRT54G running dd-wrt firmware.

At first I was put off by the antiquated user interface, but after a while I was able to find the essential settings. Most of the useful features I need were there and I was able to set up things like static IP addresses fairly easily.

Most changes to settings seem to take an eternity to take effect. It's hard to believe that the router has a fast processor when the 200MHz processor in the Linksys is so much more responsive.

Then the problems started. I tried to turn on the guest network and both radios shut off. I tried the button on the front of the router as well as the settings on the admin pages and couldn't get the radios to turn on until I shut off the guest network. Netgear provided a beta firmware which solved this problem, but it didn't fix any of the other problems.

I found that my new LG BD570 Blu-ray player could connect to the router, but couldn't auto assign an IP address. Then I noticed that my old Palm T|X couldn't see the SSID nine times out of ten and was never able to connect no matter which combination of WPA settings I used.

The combination of a slow and unattractive user interface, bugs and compatibility problems have forced me to return this router.