1,938
NETGEAR Wireless Router - N600 Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700)
Price:$78.07 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 4, 2011
So i bought it about a week ago. it worked fine up until about an hour ago, when it - without any warning- suddenly stopped getting internet connection. it just boots up and the internet connectivity light flashes orange/red forever. I can connect to it but i get no internet. I have tried new ethernet cables, power cycling, soft and hard/factory resets, everything i can think of and still no luck.

My internet works fine in my house, just not this router.
worst $100 ever spent. seriously 1 week life time?
on December 3, 2011
I went round and round with NG Support for months, with some "engineers" that apparently have never tried to configure and use this router on a home broadband connection. Anyway, I finally gave up, only to find months later that there is indeed a problem with this router's firmware (related to DNS name resolution, which causes an intermittent but consistently occurring disconnection on the WAN port).

Since then, they've told the masses that they have a firmware fix, but it's just more of the same crapware, just with an updated version number (and with the word "beta" attached - doesn't that just make you warm and fuzzy?). Needless to say, don't fall in the trap with us - do some research on various sites to determine the truth for yourself.

Oh, and for those of you who haven't had problems, just wait: it takes months for this problem to surface, and when it does, say hello to frustration!
on November 29, 2011
I bought this router two weeks ago. Poor results. First called Vonage and internet provider. They said to call Netgear techincal support 888-638-4327. Proably I needed a softwate update or a different setting.

1) I explained my problem with my two week old NETGEAR wireless router and was clearly told that NETGEAR does NOT provide ANY after sales tech support for AMAZON customers.

2) I asked the tech to check this policy with the department manger to ensure there was no error in his understanding. He put me on hold with Indian?/Middle eastern? music in the background. He told me he checked with the head of the NETGEAR TECH SUPPORT department and this was corporate policy for AMAZON customers.

3) He told me I could BUY!!! tech support service from NETGEAR for $99.95 for a year, 59.95 for 6 months or $29.95 for this problem.

4) I told him that I would return the merchandise to AMAZON and ensure my company never purchases NETGEAR again and that AMAZON would be made aware. He said fine, he was certain he was providing NETGEAR CORPORATE POLICY for AMAZON purchases. I asked for his name. Ross is his first name and he refused a last name!!!

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR3700

RealTekDirect
Feedback Rating: 4.8 stars over the past 12 months
4.8 stars over the past 12 months (936 ratings)
Detailed Seller Information
RealTekDirect Storefront
on November 28, 2011
Pros: Works fast when it works. Pretty.

Cons: Connection would turn off and on for no reason at all. After a series of tests on my modem, computer, laptop, wii, roommates laptop, iphone and other devices I realized it was definitely the wireless router. Re-installed the drivers, updated what had to be updated, spent hours trying to fix the issue but to no avail. If I wanted spotty wifi connection I would have just stolen my neighbors wifi. After dealing with an older netgear issue in the past I refuse to even call up support for this product.

All in all this is the third netgear router I have had the displeasure to own (thankfully I only bought two and one was a gift). If they work, its never for long. They're expensive and unreliable. They sucker you in with a sleek design but obviously thats where the line is drawn at netgear. Definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND this or any other netgear product.
on November 14, 2011
I bought one of these several months ago. I worked fine for a few months. Now it's dropping the internet connection about once a day. The only way to get it to connect back is to power cycle the unit. I tried firmware upgrades and downgrades, but the problem persists. AVOID!!!!
on November 12, 2011
My D-Link DI-624 started giving trouble; more trouble that is. It always had the problem of rebooting when more than one RJ-45 LAN ports were connected and active. So, I had another switch connected to only one of its LAN ports, and DI-624 was my wireless AP and internet gateway/switch without affecting my internal network. That was all fine when I had only one WiFi device active at once. Things have changed, and I have multiple WiFi devices active simultaneously, and DI-624 started crapping out: reboots, infinite delays and just dropping one or more of the WiFi connections. It was time to get a better Firewall/WirelessAP.

I gave up on D-Link with my rather extensive home network (several switches, multiple floors, heteregoneous devices, wired/wireless of all sorts, media streaming, etc.), and started looking at "better" ones. I don't want to pay a real Cisco router I use at work, so dumb it down and look at LinkSys or NetGear. Well, it was a tought decision, actually. NetGear won at the end not only because I had a number of Netgear switches already and they work without a glitch for many years. It won because its detailed specs; also, this device sits somewhere in the back of something else where no one looks at other than me peeking at it every now and then - not that it malfunctions. Cisco/LinkSys one appear too shiny with less advanced features.

This is not perfect. I don't care about the USB NAS drive; I have real stuff for that - so I am not going to comment on it. Otherwise, this thing just works in my environment. No problem NetFlix/YouTube/etc. streaming at all. WiFi (I only tested 2.4GHz so far) works with multiple devices active at the same time: I tested with 5 simultaneous devices so far spread across the guest and internal network (yes, that separation is a must for me, and it works, AFAICT).

What is missing? DNS setting is very primitive. I want to specify an internal DNS server with scoping, and then want to say "for all others, relay to DNS you received from WAM DHCP". This is pretty common with private DNS servers (think NAT). NetGear, I like your products, but do you hear this? It is not a big deal, add that on, please.
on November 11, 2011
The 2.4 ghz radio died on my router yesterday morning. The 5ghz radio is still running fine. This appears to be a common problem for this router. Stay away.
on October 18, 2011
I forgot the password for my Netgear wireless router, and due to making a change in the Intel wireless adapter window, I lost the connection between the computer and the router, and therefore access to the internet.

The written installation instructions of my wireless router do not mention how to reset the password / modem. I did know the default username and password.

I called tech support about resetting the router and password. The internet would have given me the answer in a few seconds, i.e. "press a needle in the tiny hole in the back of the router", but I had no access to another computer at this time, because I live in the country.

What happened then is a Tech Support Fraud Story. I was told that the only option I had for "resetting a password" was to subscribe to either a one-year tech support contract for $ 99, or a life long subscription.
I said that for the $99, I could buy a new modem. The Indian agent at the other end said, literally, that "this would not help with this issue" (although a new modem comes with a 90 day support, i.e. he lied).
I asked him if there is no cheaper way to solve this. He said "no". As I said, I live in the country and did not have access to the internet at this moment, and wanted the problem solved.

After some back and forth with two more agents, I signed up for the one year support.

The tech agent told me to open and close countless windows, and after an hour of this, I was finally told me the solution, i.e. resetting the modem with the needle.

When the internet was re-connected, I went straight to the Netgear Tech Support site. There, under the button "Service Offerings" it states clearly that Netgear offers a "pay-per-incident" tech support option for $39. I had spoken to four different agents, and none of them told me about this possibility, even when I asked for cheaper alternatives to the "$99 yearly contract".

This means I was lied to by the Netgear Tech Support agents. They obtained my agreement to this contract based on lying. In my view, they obtained this contract through fraudulent means.

I called them back to complain and to ask for a refund. I asked to pay the $39 "pay-per-incident" option instead, and to void the one-year contract that was obtained after not telling me the truth about my tech support options. The agent answered in a very condescending manner: "in two months, you will have the same problem again", "you will be glad to have this contract later on". He also said that "everyone who signed up today has signed up for the yearly contract". This is no wonder, if the other customers were manipulated in the same way as I was. My request to be put through to the manager / supervisor was ignored, as the agent kept talking back to me.

I have dealt with other computer tech support in India / Asia at previous times, and at no time have I experienced this kind of unethical behavior. I call it fraudulent.

So far, messages that I posted on the tech support "contact" form, as well as an e-mail message to the company here in the US have not been answered.

I wonder how many other victims of these "business practices" are there. I would advise Netgear to clean house in your tech support department.
on October 8, 2011
I purchased this Netgear router 6 months ago to replace an older model Linksys router with antennas, which had replaced an even older Linksys, also with antennas. It's difficult to make a comparison due to the fact that the Linksys was using a `g' band, while I'm using the `n' band on this Netgear - although both are at 2.4GHz. But I can say the Netgear has more signal strength. I actually have it sitting flat, rather than upright. I would say signal strength has increased by 1/3 at the least - and it's consistent.

The wifi is approximately 21+ yards away (on the same ground floor), going through 4 walls at full signal strength.

Setup was easy (Windows XP wired, Windows 7 Professional wifi). The software disc (which is the Setup Wizard) included is not Windows 7 compatible, although you can download it at Netgear's site. I didn't bother with it. I followed the easy instructions in the manual, and once online at the router's login, there is a setup Wizard which will work with your OS if you choose to use it. I just set it up manually, which is very easy. The router recognized my other wifi devices easily, and further setup was a breeze. My Linksys froze for 30 minutes or longer when applying changes. The Netgear does so within a few seconds.

Having Dual Bands is a bonus, although currently I do not have any `n' band 5.0GHz capable devices - and have disabled the 5.0GHz for now... but it's there for the future.

I don't wish to repeat all the options this router offers as others have already done so in good detail. I would however like to emphasize a few Basic things for those unfamiliar with router setups:

1) Once you are connected, do upgrade the firmware before proceeding.

2) Please, please change the login Password from the Default (listed in the manual which comes with the router) to your own. Half my neighbors have not. This is just basic and so easily done - and will keep others from piggybacking, or worse yet, logging into your router and changing the settings and using their own login password to lock you out (if this has already happened you'll need to Reset your router manually and start all over). Once you login to the router's address, you'll find it listed under Maintenance at Set Password. Keep track of all your passwords! One of my neighbors could no longer gain access to the internet and blamed it on the router... I had seen that it was initially not secured, and later secure. I'm guessing a neighboring kid just decided to mess around. Fortunately they mentioned this to me (before just buying another router) and I helped them get back online.

2a) Set up a secure connection. Again, I "see" too many who haven't set any type of security. At your Netgear router login page, go to Setup, and underneath are options for both Wireless Settings (your wifi) and Guest Network. Type in your own SSID (name) - don't leave it at the Default name. Set up a security option and type in your own Passphrase password... it is strongly recommended you not use WEP for the Guest Network if this can be avoided (I don't think this Netgear even has WEP for Wireless Settings, but it does for the Guest Network). Again, keep a record of these. Use strong passwords, both uppercase and lowercase letters, mixed with numbers and symbols - and make it long.

Just these basic steps should keep neighbors and drive-by's from piggybacking your connection, which at the least can slow down your internet connection speed or cause intermittent loss of connectivity if you have quite a few piggybackers.

Remember to occasionally login to see if there are any upgrades for your router.

I'm very happy with this router, and would recommend it. I will update later should I run into any problems.

Update: I've been using this router for 3 months and it's still working very well - wifi remains strong and consistant. I do use the power button frequently (hold it about 2-3 seconds to power on/off for wifi. Can even use the power button if laptops are booted and our internet connection is almost immediate. I remain extremely pleased with this router!

2nd Update: It's been 1 month short of a year since purchasing, and this router is still working perfectly. For a brief time I thought perhaps I'd bricked it when my Ethernet port died on our desktop (routers tend to be terribly fussy about such things), but nope! The router had been unused for about 1 ½ months while I made the decision to purchase another desktop as opposed to replacing the port. My laptops wouldn't connect wirelessly after setting up the router again, but 2 other Wi-Fi devices were fine, so thankfully both laptops just needed a driver upgrade. All is well with this Dual Band Netgear Router and I am still happy with this purchase.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 6, 2011
I consider myself as tech-savy. I've had my first wireless router in 2003 and had upgraded to several brands of router past years. Maybe I was lucky, all my routers Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, and Asus has survived 2+ years. But not this one. After 9 month of good service, it drops internet connection every couple of hours both wired and wireless connection. First, I thought it was my cable modem but same problem occured after Time Warner changed modem to brand new one. I am ready to give up after trying to fix this problem by flashing latest firmware and resetting router(30-30-30) several times.
I realized that under the bad review, Netgear makes a comment saying email them netgear@amazon.com to fix the problem. Well.. no words after 10 days.. I am 100% certain that this would be my last Netgear gadget I am gonna get.

Correction:

I did send the email to correct address: amazon@netgear.com. I've resent the email I will post again if I get a proper response.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Brandon--

We apologize for the dropped connections you're experiencing. We're also glad that you have tried the latest firmware updates and 30-30-30 resets as recommended. That does resolve the issue for most folks. The correct email address for contact is amazon@netgear.com, we'll be glad to help. We would also encourage you to contact NETGEAR support, or post in the WNDR3700 forums: http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Regards,