4.0 out of 5 stars An Experienced, but Unfussy, User's Initial Opinion
I picked up this router for two reasons: (1) I wanted to upgrade from my Wireless-G to Wireless-N (draft), to make file transfers faster between my computers; (2) I wanted to give whichever router I liked less to my parents, so I could have wifi there when I visit them. My existing router was a Linksys WRT54GS, which had good wireless-G speeds (I couldn't complain) and...
Published on October 25, 2008 by Michael J. Descy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best in performance, but it works for the price.
Everytime I purchase a product, my biggest concern will always be - does it work as advertised? And if it doesn't, how does the company (including customer support) address the issues? I would advise that before you buy one, to check not only customer reviews but also their feedback in dealing with the company's customer support area. Of course you cannot please every...
Published on November 20, 2008 by R. Ocampo

‹ Previous | 15 6 771 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality + *bad* customer support, September 1, 2013
T. Chu (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NETGEAR Wireless Router - N300 (WNR2000) (Personal Computers)
I bought this Netgear router for my parents. This is relevant because I live far from my parents, and when I install hardware or software for them, I need it to work without forever and without fuss. Based on the Amazon reviews, I purchased this router and configured a wifi network without any problem.

Two weeks later, the router died: the power indicator remained lit, but everything else went dark. I asked my dad to push the reset button on the back, which did nothing.

In addition, my dad called the Netgear phone support. This is something I would never have done, but I'm glad he did because he revealed that after several hours on the phone, Netgear had him run a diagnostic on his PC, told him that the computer was "at 63%," and offered a year of support--for $175! What does "at 63%" even mean?

Both Netgear's products and support are INFURIATING.

1.0 out of 5 stars WNR2000v4 worked for 6 months then died, no support by manufacturer, June 25, 2014
NETGEAR WNR2000v4

Router worked fine for the first 6 months, had strong connection, great speed, then it turned to a nightmare. Constant connection drop, router kept restarting itself. Now, router is dead, and the only life signal is an amber light that stays on forever instead of the green power led. No wireless connection, no wired connection, PC does not identify the router anymore.

NETGEAR support only allows chat or phone support for 90 days after purchase, then the only way to contact them is through their website by sending a ticket that takes forever to be answered.
NETGEAR, please review this product. Definitely it needs support or new version.

I am currently using a 2 year old Belkin G router that does the job better than the NETGEAR.

Very disappointed. I do not recommend this product for anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, March 23, 2014
I bought this router in May, 2013. In March, 2014 it stopped working. I contacted the company...even though the product has a "lifetime warranty", after 90 days you have to pay to speak to their customer service department. (They win the prize for finding the best way to screw their constomers!) Their website suggests you download the Netgear Genie...did that...but you have to have the thing working to do any troubleshooting. Each time I tried to contact them via email on their site, my pc stopped working. My advice? Never buy this item or any NetGear products..unless you want a product that lasts only 10 months and the company will do absolutely nothing about it...won't even talk with you unless you pay them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy netgear product again., June 27, 2014
Router broke after just 10 months of usage. Call up customer service for RMA. They were so sure that it is an error in settings on my side that they demand a credit card charge of $40 to fix it.
After 3.5 hours of resetting router, off-on various devices, they finally gave up and gave me the RMA.
I had to pay for the post, and got a refurbished router back.
Now... The refurbish router is only able to connect to some devices, not all devices (which is worse than the first router). Moreover, I tried login into the router but can't. I even tried ping that address, no response.
How can a company give me a refurbish router that works 50% only? this is just unacceptable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk, December 14, 2013
Save your money. This unit failed after about 3 months of use. It appears to be very cheaply made. The wifi signal was marginal from the beginning even at 50' and the unit would disconnect itself from my modem about once a week and then reset itself. After a while it wouldn't connect to the internet at all and the wifi button stopped working too. On and on with tech support about firmware upgrades, reinitializing the unit, registering it a half dozen times etc...all to no avail and a waste of time. It was clearly defective from the start. I'm shopping for a different brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy Something Else, February 1, 2014
Netgear Home Routers as a whole have gone completely in the toilet. We have the latest version of the firmware and the connection is CONSTANTLY dropping. I have a client that had one and it was doing the same thing. We replaced it with the same model, and it still drops. They must have hired the same firmware company Linksys did - another company that the home product went to crap. I used to recommend Linksys, and then Netgear to people. I cannot recommend any of either companies products anymore. Belkin is no better. Do yourself a favor and avoid hours of frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Screaming Fast and a Breeze to Set Up, November 11, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
From out-of-the-box to fully functional took less than 10 minutes. Very impressed with the ease of set up. My existing wireless enabled devices latched on almost immediately (even my Chumby!) + with my new Wireless-N card performance (throughput and signal strength) was better than I've ever seen before. Count me as one very happy user.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!!!!!, April 12, 2013
+ Set up was easy.

- The router wireless signal will randomly shut off, forcing you to constantly reset the router. After a week of owning it and resetting it multiple times in a single day, I had enough. If you search the internet, this appears to be a common issue for this router.

In the end, I stepped up to the N600 and has been flawless ever since.

I have had Netgear routers in the past that worked without issue, until I purchased an N300.

1.0 out of 5 stars 100% garbage, died 2 weeks after the return window closed, February 21, 2014
Kahle J. Gregory (Round Rock, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I gambled on a router this cheap and lost. It has simply stopped working, Jan. 31 was the last day I could have started a return. The power light glows yellow, that's it, that's all that happens now when you turn it on. I've already bought a new router (non-Netgear), this will be used for target practice I guess. I've tended to prefer Netgear equipment over the years but this one will really make me think twice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor. Daily loss of WiFi and Frequent Lockups, July 17, 2012
I have owned probably 5 routers and by far, this is the poorest one. I have a pretty straight forward setup with a few Apple iOS devices, a Roku and a maximum of 3 attached PCs. Everything is attached via WiFi. WiFi cuts out at least once per day, sometimes more. If I plug a PC into the router, I have internet access in most cases. However, every few days the router locks up completely and requires a reboot. My radio is on an open channel so I'm not getting any interference from neighbors.

Netgear thinks I have a HW problem, but they want $16 to do an advanced exchange. So why would I pay almost 1/2 the price of a new unit when this piece of junk is only 30 days old? No thanks! I'll throw it in the garbage and buy a different brand. Unfortunately the store I purchased this from has only a 14 day return policy.

Update: I've increased the stability of this router by automatically turning the WiFi off at 3am and back on at 3:30 am each day. I haven't had the router lock up since I started doing this about 1 month ago.

‹ Previous | 15 6 771 | Next ›

NETGEAR Wireless Router - N300 (WNR2000)
$69.99 $39.99