4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than wireless G
Published on August 20, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Better that Wireless, not as good as wired, or as stated
I purchased the Netgear XAVB1004 Powerline Home Networking Kit so I could connect my Tivo, my new Home Theater PC and other devices downstairs to my router which was upstairs.

Published on August 3, 2010 by Dan

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than wireless G, August 20, 2009
This review is from: NETGEAR XAVB1004-100NAS Home Theater Internet Connection Kit (Black) (Personal Computers)
I have only had this for a few days, but hookup is a breeze (took about 5 minutes from openning the box to fishing wires under my furniture behind the TV), and it is much faster than wireless G. I am streaming Netflix through my TivoHD without undue buffering, and at the claimed Netflix full HD quality. The utility software included with the product allows the user to turn off the three LEDs on the four port switch, implement security on the devices, and create network priorities if there are multiple adapters on the network. The utility software scans the powerline network and details the speed at which the network is operating. My speeds vary between 72 mpbs to 88 mbps in my 3,100 sqft house that is about 7 years old. My network router is upstairs and my home theater is downstairs. Longevity of the device is yet to be determined since I have only had it a few days, but so far I am very pleased with the product.

***UPDATE***

I had a lamp that operated by touch to turn it on and off. It kept turning on by itself after installing the netgear powerline adapter. Well, after unplugging the lamp from the wall, I am getting about 160 mbps transfer speeds on my network to my home theater. Its fast, stable, and streams video like crazy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better that Wireless, not as good as wired, or as stated, August 3, 2010

Some background: I have a 2 story 1700 sq ft townhouse. There is no networking cable run through the house, and unfortunately, its easy or cost effective to rip everything apart to run wires. I currently have a 10/100 MBs Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Since I wanted to transfer large files back and forth to my HTPC and Tivo, I felt 802.11n wasn't the best option. (Plus, I'd have to buy new adapters). Debating between Powerline and MoCa (Ethernet of Coax), I felt Powerline would give me the most flexibility, and being advertised at 200 Mbps, which is about 25 MB/s. Being that my router is 100 mpbs, (12.5 MB/s), I thought even matching the speed would be great.

I am currently transferring lots of files around, anywhere from 100 MB to 2 GB at a time, so speed is important

Setup review:
This device was ultra easy to set up. Literally, plug it in, and off you go. I couldn't have asked for a simpler setup. I am not using any encryption at the risk of slowing the system down. I'm not in a place where I have to worry about someone tapping into my powerline.

Speed review:
While transferring from upstairs to downstairs, I got a best speed of 4.7 MB/s, roughly 37.6 mbps. I will admit, this is more than double the speed of my wireless router, it is certainly not even close to advertised wired speeds.

I realize that almost nowhere will a person see 200 mbps, but I think even 50 mpbs over a relatively short distance should be expected.

Overall:
While this is not nearly as fast as I would like, it is much faster than my wireless. I'm keeping it based on the price, flexibility and easy of use. I can only hope that that Netgear will release a firmware update for this.

My recommendation is that if you have other options, and speed is an issue, then look that way. But if its casual downloading, web access, or just connectivity, this may work for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look Ma!! No wires!!, October 22, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ok, so you've got the modern home, a couple of game systems, maybe a wii and a ps3 or an xbox. YOu have a cable box that can connect to the internet. Maybe you have an Apple TV or a blu-ray player thats internet radio and netflix ready.
Or perhaps you live in a 3 floor house, your wireless router is on the bottom floor near the cable router but your office is on the third floor.

What do you do?

Before your options were somewhat limited, you could use your wireless network, with the accompanying limited bandwidth and security issues (how many times have you logged on to a random network on your phone??). Alternatively you could run wires throughout your house, poke holes in the walls, or run wires up to the ceiling and around the room. In the process you'll either spend a significant amount of money to get wiring put in professionally, or you'll piss your SO off with wires zigzagging everywhere, honestly, nobody wants to have to run 4 cat-5 cables to their home entertainment system.

The NETGEAR Home Theater Internet Connection Kit (XAVB1004) solves these problems with an incredible simple plug and play solution. The kit consists of two components, one, is a Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter (XAV101) that plugs into the wall by your router, and into your router. The other is a Powerline AV Adapter with 4-port ethernet switch (XAV1004) that you plug in wherever you want to have ethernet ports (on the third floor or by your tv). In tandem these turn the electrical wiring in your house, your power-lines, into an ethernet connection. They allow you to stream, "wirelessly" 100mb/second in each direction, allowing for as much speed as one could desire, without the actual ethernet wires.

In truth this works exactly as expected, while the speeds realized weren't exactly 100mb/s in each direction, i did realize speeds in the mid 70s. I had no trouble streaming Netflix in HD onto a laptop while playing CTF call of duty on my Xbox. Essentially this solved all my wiring problems.

One thing of note: you have to plug these directly into outlets, no power strips, surge protectors, or backup batteries. It has to be plugged into the wall directly for it to work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Home theater enthusiasts, a product like this is a must, October 15, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If your household is like mine several of my home theater components can connect to the internet with wires. The problem is that my modem and router are in a different room and running cable to the entertainment center could be a problem in your house. Luckily for me I can run my own CAT 6 cable anywhere I need, but to be honest it's a HUGE pain.

When I was given the chance to try the Home Theater Internet Connection Kit out, I jumped at it. This product could solve the Internet connectivity issue that many of us suffer from with our home theaters. The system is called the Home Theater Internet Connection Kit. The kit is a powerline networking system that allows users to connect multiple devices to the internet at speeds of up to 200Mbps. That is enough bandwidth to stream HD video to and from connected devices. The kit includes a single AV adapter with a 4-port Ethernet switch and one Powerline AV Ethernet adapter. This units claim a throughput of 200Mbps (max - real world performance is probably much lower), multiple inputs, and really easy installation.

The question is....does it really work? Installation: easy-breezy, install one device into your home theater and a second near your router. With the Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit, you actually get 4 priority labeled ports for your gear. That means that if you want one piece of gear (like a game system or Blu-ray player that you use to stream Netflix) to be allocated the most bandwidth, you install it in port 1. For the most part, however people rarely use so many Internet connections at once.

Like all Powerline products that I've seen, the Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit has an encryption system. Netgear is using a 128-bit AES data encryption that can be either set by a push of the button on the units or via included software if you have a computer running Windows Vista. There are status lights that indicate the data rate you are achieving.

I'm impressed by the prioritizing of the Ethernet ports. At first I didn't think I would use it but if you plan on streaming videos, you'll use it. The only thing that I didn't like was the design of the switch. To me it looks horrible BUT, I'd take the ugly box with the extra port that works any day of the week. One thing to remember, however, is regardless of their claims, high speed Internet is generally not as quick as they'd claim. From my tests I have found that for the most part you'll notice no difference between the direct connection and the powerline solution, with demanding applications (like streaming content), the powerline solution will be inferior. Better than wireless? No doubt. But when you have the choice between a powerline solution and a direct connection, the direct connection will always be better. But when you don't, powerline is the next best thing. For more home theater enthusiasts, a product like this is a must. It works....so easy it was almost like magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY set-up - theater quality in a box, September 2, 2009
We have the same set-up as the previous viewer (TiVO HDXL & NETFLIX), and are also able to stream the full quality movies without delay. I can't stress enough how easy it was to install. In the past, shuffling components usually meant something didn't work after it was all put back in place.

This was seamless & affordable. I'll add it to my checklist of Netgear products that have worked as claimed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a 5-star review, December 21, 2011
Lee (Tempe, Arizona) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I really love this product, but the 4-port adapter in this kit was a dud and the NETGEAR service is poor. I had problems with the 4-port adapter and had to call for support to get it working the day it arrived; the tech I talked to was hard to understand but helpful. He had me reset, unplug, and move the adapter to various outlets, and finally it started to work; it should have worked immediately, and I should have realized there was a problem with it, but this was my first NETGEAR Powerline kit, and I didn't know any better. I used it 3 times in the past month, and it worked beautifully, but when I tried it last night, it was dead.

I spoke to a NETGEAR technician who verified my call-back number in case of a disconnect. His English was almost impossible to understand, but we managed to communicate until we got disconnected. I waited and never got a call back. A few hours later I called again and got another technician; he was a bit easier to understand (does NETGEAR not hire support staff who are native English speakers?) and after much troubleshooting he concluded that the adapter was defective. Since I had ordered it 33 days ago from Amazon, he told me I would need to return it to NETGEAR. There were 3 options, a free one that would take up to 4 weeks, a $16.90 option that would take up to 2 weeks, and a $29.90 option for next business day replacement; in addition I have to pay the postage to return the defective unit.

I was so impressed initially with the Powerline adapters that I ordered another NETGEAR Powerline AV+ 200 Adapter Kit XAVB2501 for myself and several NETGEAR XAV2001 Powerline AV 200 Adapter for friends. These have been easy to set up... just plug them in and they work.

I ordered these in order to watch Amazon Prime Videos on my Blu-ray players. The change from Wi-Fi to Powerline was dramatic. When I stream videos via Wi-Fi, they buffer and hesitate, and high def videos look garish; with the Powerline I can stream HD movies and can't tell that I'm not watching Blu-ray discs.

Here are some suggestions:
(1) The adapters work MUCH better when plugged directly into a wall socket; they may not work at all with some power strips. If your wall outlet is more than a few feet from your equipment, be sure to order a longer ethernet cable.
(2) If your wall outlets are at a premium, get the NETGEAR Powerline AV+ 200 Adapter Kit XAVB2501 so that you won't lose an outlet.
(3) The single port (white) adapters have 3-prongs and would cover up the bottom outlet if plugged into the top outlet; keep that in mind when you plan on where to plug them in.
(4) Prepare yourself for a stressful phone encounter if you need tech support.
(5) If your kit doesn't work immediately the day you get it, send it back to Amazon and get a replacement without delay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid speeds works great for streaming video, December 24, 2009
I chose this unit to hook up my new LG BD-390 Blu-ray player to the Internet. I considered wireless n, but the location of my player was so far from my wireless router that I was concerned I wouldn't get the performance that I wanted for streaming video over the internet. I followed the instructions for setting up the unit. You can encrypt the signal, but since I live in a single family home there was no reason to. Set-up was a breeze and I had internet connectivity to my Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR8 and LG BD-390 Blu-ray player just by connecting the ethernet cables and turning them on.

I have mainly used the connection for streaming Netflix movies over the internet. I am very pleased with the results. The clarity of the images is even better than on my computer. I can only attribute this to the better graphics performance of the LG player and Sony HDTV compared to my computer, since the streaming speed at the computer has to be greater than at the LG player connected to Netgear, but it does say that the ethernet speed of the Netgear unit is sufficient to not degrade the quality of the image. There was only one time when the LG unit's Netflix streaming indicated less than full quality (both the Netflix application on the computer and on the LG player do a line speed quality check before they begin streaming). But after playing the movie for a few minutes, the LG automatically detected a change in quality in the streaming speed and increased the performance back to maximal image quality. I'm not sure what drove the performance down. There must have been some electrical interference from some device connected to my power line. If I see it happen again, I'll try and isolate the source of the problem and will update this review.

If you are concerned about using wireless to connect your home theater components, I would highly recommend this alternative. The assurance of being able to drive high speed ethernet to any part of the house is well worth the price of the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but a little overpriced, September 30, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Netgear XAVB1004 Home Theater connection kit is a Homeplug device that allows you to access your home network through your power line. Simply plug the gray brick into the wall, attach your modem or router to it, plug the switch into another power outlet and you have an internet connection at that outlet. I'm not exaggerating when I say that setup is that easy; for those familiar with nightmarish router setups, have no fear; this is the easiest home networking product I've ever used. You can add security via the included CD, but I didn't bother.

My setup for this product was as follows: [...] Extreme Cable Internet 50 MBPS/download and a Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless G router. I plugged the gray XAV101 part (which Netgear calls the Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter), into the bottom outlet on a standard 3 prong, 2 outlet jack. I also had a surge protector with four or five devices plugged into the top outlet for the duration of the test. Note that for those with older outlets/homes, all devices included in this package hook up via 2 prongs. I then hooked up the Ethernet Adapter to my Linksys router via the included ethernet cable. The three lights on the Powerline AV adapter did not light up; I had to jostle it a bit and make sure it was 100% snug in the outlet. I feel that the power adapter, given its design, could come slightly out of the outlet, causing a disconnection from the network.

On the other end, about 50 ft away (same floor, different room) I hooked up the Ethernet Switch (XAV 1004). Using the other included ethernet cable (the set comes with 2), I hooked up port 1 on the switch (which Netgear lists as the "high priority" port) to my computer and via another ethernet cable, I used port 2 for my Xbox 360. One of the best features of this item is the switch; it allows 4 devices to be hooked up at once, so if you have multiple devices that can't easily get a wireless signal or aren't compatible with standard USB WiFI devices (i.e. Blu-Ray players or the Xbox 360, which can only use the proprietary Microsoft WIFI adapter) this is a great product. Immediately upon attaching the ethernet cables, I had an internet connection and was connected to my network. Total setup time: less than 5 minutes (and most of that was moving my desk/couch out of the way to get to the power outlet).

Performance is where networking products live or die, and this one delivers well. On my PC, I was previously using a D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB adapter that would drop connection. According to [...], I was getting an internet connection speed of 12MBPS download; with the XAVB1004 Home Theater Kit, I was routinely getting 20 MBPS download. Furthermore, I was no longer dropping connections to my router. For my Xbox 360, where I was previously using the Microsoft Wireless G USB adapter, my connection speeds went up as well. A 250 megabyte video file from the Xbox Live marketplace took approximately 3 minutes to download, whereas before it would take approximately 8 - 10 minutes. No dropped connections or additional setup required.

The XAVB1004 is easily fast enough for HD video, extremely high-speed internet connections and media sharing across the network. The setup is simple, fast and painless; it is honestly one of the few home networking products that lives up to its advertising. If you have a home theater in need of high speed, high performance networking, this is a great product for you. So, why the 4 star rating? Two reasons. The aforementioned Ethernet Adapter must be 100% in the wall, otherwise it doesn't connect. I do mean 100%; if it moves a bit, it may lose connection. Be sure to place it in a location that does not get much traffic around it. I would recommend dedicating an entire set of outlets to this device; it seems that the performance increases. The second reason is the price. Yes, this is a quality product, but at $150 at the time of this review, it costs 80 - 100 more than most Wireless G/N USB adapters, and 50 - 70 more than most Wireless G/N ethernet bridges. Granted, these devices don't have 4 port switches built in (usually) and are generally of hit or miss quality. My D-Link DWA-140 N USB adapter got terrible speeds in multiple houses; pretty much every wireless USB adapter I've purchased over the past 5 years dropped connections and got weak signal.

Conclusion: If you have multiple home theater devices that demand high amounts of bandwidth this premium product is certainly worth the price. If you only need to hookup 1 device or don't need to stream media, you may want to look into lower priced alternatives. Also, those with exceptionally large houses (5000+ ft) may want to purchase this product at a retailer that allows returns as this product is only rated for sq footages up to 5000).

4.0 out of 5 stars NetFlix, Pandora at Last, September 18, 2009
It wasn't as simple as I had hoped. The easiest plugs to use gave me 31 MBPS, which was much less than I had hoped. Using an extension cord, I checked all the plugs in the Home Theater, and the best was 41 MBPS, but that was on the other side of the room from my gear. I then checked the plugs in the study, and found that the furthest one from the router gave me about 61 MBPS to the plug behind my gear in the Home Theater (I powered down my gear and unplugged the power strip from the wall for testing). After testing a Netflix movie using an extension cord in the study, I bought a 25 ft long Cat 6A cable to connect the far jack to the router (NetGear WNDR 3700). I now regularly get 60 to 105 MBPS. Otherwise than the hassle of the plugs, the setup was a snap. My house is a 2900 square feet on one floor and two years old. The study is in the front of the house and the home theater in the back on the other side.
My Yamaha 3800 receiver supports Internet Radio and it works great. My Samsung 2550 Blu-Ray player supports both Netflix and Pandora. I've watched two movies from Netflix and the quality was great. Pandora is really a great music service and the Samsung interface sounds superb.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont be fooled by the high reviews!!!!, November 18, 2012
This product will take you MULTIPLE tries to connect, and on the off chance you get it working, it will not stay connected. I had checked on Netgear's forums about this, and this is a VERY common problem, and netgear does not respond to any questions nor offer any sort of solution. Please dont waste your time or money, and if you do end up getting duped into buying it, dont expect anything from netgear. you're on your own.