Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on August 20, 2009
I have only had this for a few days, but hookup is a breeze (took about 5 minutes from openning the box to fishing wires under my furniture behind the TV), and it is much faster than wireless G. I am streaming Netflix through my TivoHD without undue buffering, and at the claimed Netflix full HD quality. The utility software included with the product allows the user to turn off the three LEDs on the four port switch, implement security on the devices, and create network priorities if there are multiple adapters on the network. The utility software scans the powerline network and details the speed at which the network is operating. My speeds vary between 72 mpbs to 88 mbps in my 3,100 sqft house that is about 7 years old. My network router is upstairs and my home theater is downstairs. Longevity of the device is yet to be determined since I have only had it a few days, but so far I am very pleased with the product.

***UPDATE***

I had a lamp that operated by touch to turn it on and off. It kept turning on by itself after installing the netgear powerline adapter. Well, after unplugging the lamp from the wall, I am getting about 160 mbps transfer speeds on my network to my home theater. Its fast, stable, and streams video like crazy.
11 comment|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2010
I purchased the Netgear XAVB1004 Powerline Home Networking Kit so I could connect my Tivo, my new Home Theater PC and other devices downstairs to my router which was upstairs.

Some background: I have a 2 story 1700 sq ft townhouse. There is no networking cable run through the house, and unfortunately, its easy or cost effective to rip everything apart to run wires. I currently have a 10/100 MBs Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Since I wanted to transfer large files back and forth to my HTPC and Tivo, I felt 802.11n wasn't the best option. (Plus, I'd have to buy new adapters). Debating between Powerline and MoCa (Ethernet of Coax), I felt Powerline would give me the most flexibility, and being advertised at 200 Mbps, which is about 25 MB/s. Being that my router is 100 mpbs, (12.5 MB/s), I thought even matching the speed would be great.

I am currently transferring lots of files around, anywhere from 100 MB to 2 GB at a time, so speed is important

Setup review:
This device was ultra easy to set up. Literally, plug it in, and off you go. I couldn't have asked for a simpler setup. I am not using any encryption at the risk of slowing the system down. I'm not in a place where I have to worry about someone tapping into my powerline.

Speed review:
While transferring from upstairs to downstairs, I got a best speed of 4.7 MB/s, roughly 37.6 mbps. I will admit, this is more than double the speed of my wireless router, it is certainly not even close to advertised wired speeds.

I realize that almost nowhere will a person see 200 mbps, but I think even 50 mpbs over a relatively short distance should be expected.

Overall:
While this is not nearly as fast as I would like, it is much faster than my wireless. I'm keeping it based on the price, flexibility and easy of use. I can only hope that that Netgear will release a firmware update for this.

My recommendation is that if you have other options, and speed is an issue, then look that way. But if its casual downloading, web access, or just connectivity, this may work for you.
55 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok, so you've got the modern home, a couple of game systems, maybe a wii and a ps3 or an xbox. YOu have a cable box that can connect to the internet. Maybe you have an Apple TV or a blu-ray player thats internet radio and netflix ready.
Or perhaps you live in a 3 floor house, your wireless router is on the bottom floor near the cable router but your office is on the third floor.

What do you do?

Before your options were somewhat limited, you could use your wireless network, with the accompanying limited bandwidth and security issues (how many times have you logged on to a random network on your phone??). Alternatively you could run wires throughout your house, poke holes in the walls, or run wires up to the ceiling and around the room. In the process you'll either spend a significant amount of money to get wiring put in professionally, or you'll piss your SO off with wires zigzagging everywhere, honestly, nobody wants to have to run 4 cat-5 cables to their home entertainment system.

The NETGEAR Home Theater Internet Connection Kit (XAVB1004) solves these problems with an incredible simple plug and play solution. The kit consists of two components, one, is a Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter (XAV101) that plugs into the wall by your router, and into your router. The other is a Powerline AV Adapter with 4-port ethernet switch (XAV1004) that you plug in wherever you want to have ethernet ports (on the third floor or by your tv). In tandem these turn the electrical wiring in your house, your power-lines, into an ethernet connection. They allow you to stream, "wirelessly" 100mb/second in each direction, allowing for as much speed as one could desire, without the actual ethernet wires.

In truth this works exactly as expected, while the speeds realized weren't exactly 100mb/s in each direction, i did realize speeds in the mid 70s. I had no trouble streaming Netflix in HD onto a laptop while playing CTF call of duty on my Xbox. Essentially this solved all my wiring problems.

One thing of note: you have to plug these directly into outlets, no power strips, surge protectors, or backup batteries. It has to be plugged into the wall directly for it to work.
44 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If your household is like mine several of my home theater components can connect to the internet with wires. The problem is that my modem and router are in a different room and running cable to the entertainment center could be a problem in your house. Luckily for me I can run my own CAT 6 cable anywhere I need, but to be honest it's a HUGE pain.

When I was given the chance to try the Home Theater Internet Connection Kit out, I jumped at it. This product could solve the Internet connectivity issue that many of us suffer from with our home theaters. The system is called the Home Theater Internet Connection Kit. The kit is a powerline networking system that allows users to connect multiple devices to the internet at speeds of up to 200Mbps. That is enough bandwidth to stream HD video to and from connected devices. The kit includes a single AV adapter with a 4-port Ethernet switch and one Powerline AV Ethernet adapter. This units claim a throughput of 200Mbps (max - real world performance is probably much lower), multiple inputs, and really easy installation.

The question is....does it really work? Installation: easy-breezy, install one device into your home theater and a second near your router. With the Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit, you actually get 4 priority labeled ports for your gear. That means that if you want one piece of gear (like a game system or Blu-ray player that you use to stream Netflix) to be allocated the most bandwidth, you install it in port 1. For the most part, however people rarely use so many Internet connections at once.

Like all Powerline products that I've seen, the Netgear Home Theater Internet Connection Kit has an encryption system. Netgear is using a 128-bit AES data encryption that can be either set by a push of the button on the units or via included software if you have a computer running Windows Vista. There are status lights that indicate the data rate you are achieving.

I'm impressed by the prioritizing of the Ethernet ports. At first I didn't think I would use it but if you plan on streaming videos, you'll use it. The only thing that I didn't like was the design of the switch. To me it looks horrible BUT, I'd take the ugly box with the extra port that works any day of the week. One thing to remember, however, is regardless of their claims, high speed Internet is generally not as quick as they'd claim. From my tests I have found that for the most part you'll notice no difference between the direct connection and the powerline solution, with demanding applications (like streaming content), the powerline solution will be inferior. Better than wireless? No doubt. But when you have the choice between a powerline solution and a direct connection, the direct connection will always be better. But when you don't, powerline is the next best thing. For more home theater enthusiasts, a product like this is a must. It works....so easy it was almost like magic.
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2011
I really love this product, but the 4-port adapter in this kit was a dud and the NETGEAR service is poor. I had problems with the 4-port adapter and had to call for support to get it working the day it arrived; the tech I talked to was hard to understand but helpful. He had me reset, unplug, and move the adapter to various outlets, and finally it started to work; it should have worked immediately, and I should have realized there was a problem with it, but this was my first NETGEAR Powerline kit, and I didn't know any better. I used it 3 times in the past month, and it worked beautifully, but when I tried it last night, it was dead.

I spoke to a NETGEAR technician who verified my call-back number in case of a disconnect. His English was almost impossible to understand, but we managed to communicate until we got disconnected. I waited and never got a call back. A few hours later I called again and got another technician; he was a bit easier to understand (does NETGEAR not hire support staff who are native English speakers?) and after much troubleshooting he concluded that the adapter was defective. Since I had ordered it 33 days ago from Amazon, he told me I would need to return it to NETGEAR. There were 3 options, a free one that would take up to 4 weeks, a $16.90 option that would take up to 2 weeks, and a $29.90 option for next business day replacement; in addition I have to pay the postage to return the defective unit.

I was so impressed initially with the Powerline adapters that I ordered another NETGEAR Powerline AV+ 200 Adapter Kit XAVB2501 for myself and several NETGEAR XAV2001 Powerline AV 200 Adapter for friends. These have been easy to set up... just plug them in and they work.

I ordered these in order to watch Amazon Prime Videos on my Blu-ray players. The change from Wi-Fi to Powerline was dramatic. When I stream videos via Wi-Fi, they buffer and hesitate, and high def videos look garish; with the Powerline I can stream HD movies and can't tell that I'm not watching Blu-ray discs.

Here are some suggestions:
(1) The adapters work MUCH better when plugged directly into a wall socket; they may not work at all with some power strips. If your wall outlet is more than a few feet from your equipment, be sure to order a longer ethernet cable.
(2) If your wall outlets are at a premium, get the NETGEAR Powerline AV+ 200 Adapter Kit XAVB2501 so that you won't lose an outlet.
(3) The single port (white) adapters have 3-prongs and would cover up the bottom outlet if plugged into the top outlet; keep that in mind when you plan on where to plug them in.
(4) Prepare yourself for a stressful phone encounter if you need tech support.
(5) If your kit doesn't work immediately the day you get it, send it back to Amazon and get a replacement without delay!
on September 2, 2009
We have the same set-up as the previous viewer (TiVO HDXL & NETFLIX), and are also able to stream the full quality movies without delay. I can't stress enough how easy it was to install. In the past, shuffling components usually meant something didn't work after it was all put back in place.

This was seamless & affordable. I'll add it to my checklist of Netgear products that have worked as claimed.
on February 19, 2011
I have several Linksys PLS300 4-port units and a PLE300 unit, which have been discontinued by Linksys, so I can no longer add more PLS300s to extend my network.

The point of this purchase was to either extend or to entirely replace my existing Linksys powerline networking hardware. This kit contains two parts, the adaptor which plugs into the router, and a single 4-port switch adaptor, similar to the discontinued Linksys PLTK300 kit (PLS300 and PLE300).

First, I plugged in the 4-port unit (Netgear XAV1004 Adapter with Ethernet Switch), in an attempt to add a new location on my existing powerline network, and it instantly got a connection. It worked fine.

Second, I replaced my old Linksys PLE300 with the Netgear XAV101 AV Ethernet Adapter (just don't use both at the same time), and still everything worked fine, including the old Linksys PLS300 units.

I'm happy that my Linksys PLS300s are compatible with this Netgear product, and XAV101 replaced the PLE300 (retired now, to be emergency backup).

Other than rapid obsolescence (and product discontinuation), I had no problems with the Linksys product that I'm replacing, and too early to tell, but no complaints with the Netgear product either. In either case, these are faster and more reliable than wireless networking.

(Absolutely no problems after more than a year, so I have upgraded my rating to five stars.)
on August 1, 2012
While this little power line network connection device may not match the speeds of a direct wired connection, it *can* be quite fast! Fast enough for 1080p HDTV to your game consoles, etc.

My issue was that I have a Playstation 3 and an Xbox 360 in my bedroom. I'm using the Playstation for Vudu, Netflix and Hulu Plus and I'm using the Xbox 360 as a Window Media Center Extender (for live TV).

Yes, you can watch live TV on your Xbox360 if you have Windows Media Center running on a Windows machine on your network. The Windows machine either has to have a tuner card in it or you can do like I did. I purchased Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun Prime cable-card tuner from Woot(Amazon) for $129! It's a small box with three tuners in it, a slot for a cable card and an Ethernet port. You plug your cable into it, put in your cable card (can get from your cable provider), connect an Ethernet cable from your router and it's ready to go! Allows you full DVR using all three tuners! [...]

Anyway, I was having issues with network speed using the wireless because my bedroom is quite a distance away from the wireless router and there are walls, etc. in the way. I picked up one of these as a test.

It works as advertised! However, you MUST follow the instructions and as many others have said, make sure you keep the path between the sender and the receiver (4-port switch) as clear as possible. One thing to realize is that only the first two ports are useable for full HD 1080p streaming. The other two have a much lower QOS (Quality Of Service). So, for the fastest speed, plug into port 1. I plugged my Xbox360 into port 1 and my Playstation 3 into Port 2. I was doing ok with recorded TV but I was having stuttering and breakup with live TV on the Xbox360.

Well, it's because I had the receiver plugged into a power strip!

1. Do NOT plug either the sender or the receiver (4 ports) into any power strip. Directly into the outlet only.
2. Do not plug the receiver into a switched power outlet. The signal will need to travel through the light switch if you do and it will degrade the signal.
3. Do not have anything else plugged into the same outlet you're plugging the receiver into.
4. Reduce the amount of devices you have on the circuit the receiver is on if you can.

If you do all of the above you can obtain much better QOS and faster speeds. However, you need to realize the signal has to travel the electrical box and the route between your sender and receiver. There are many reasons why you may experience slower speeds and most all of them will have to do with the electrical wiring in your house, apartment or condo complex. The shorter the path and the less you have on the circuit running, the better off you will be.

I have absolutely no problem streaming full HD 1080p live tv to my Xbox360 with full DolbyDigital Plus 5.1 surround sound to my bedroom now.

I highly recommend this device and others like it *IF* you set it up correctly. That being said, if you want faster speeds there are now devices like these that go up to 1Gb/sec.

Enjoy!
on June 27, 2013
Let's face it wireless can be spotty at times if you don't have a large enough budget to fill your house with access points or repeaters.

I am not a fan of wireless technology and probably never will be so please take this into consideration before you read my review. I will always choose an ethernet wire over wireless ANYDAY of the week. I game online, stream music and videos online, and I don't have time to waste on a lousy less than sub-par wireless connection depending on where I am in my house.

Enter the Netgear XAVB1004-100NAS Home Theater Internet Connection Kit.

Pros:
1. It uses your existing electrical infrastructure to hard wire almost any room in your house.
2. It's not wireless!
3. Setup is simple just follow the included guides. Plug an ethernet cable into your router/modem and connect it to the white transmitter. Plug the transmitter into an existing open electrical outlet. Plug the black receiver into an existing open electrical socket where you want internet. Plug ethernet cables from the receiver into the unit/units that need internet and BAM they have internet. Use the included software to secure it if needed.
4. Speed! I can utilize my full 30Mbps down and 15Mbps up speeds from my ISP!

Cons:
1. If you live in an apartment building you will definitely want to setup the security on this unit. For some technologically challenged people this may cause issues. However, if you follow the instructions you will have no problems.
2. If you have multiple rooms that require internet you need to purchase multiple units and sync/secure them seperately. One transmitter to control them all and just buy receivers seperately would have been a logical solution. However, Netgear needs to make money so you will have to buy separate units and secure them or segregate them separately.

Overall great product. If you hate wireless like I do and want speeds that are close to wired speeds then buy this product. If not stick with your crappy unsecure wireless units.
on February 16, 2013
I had been using a 802.11n wireless adapter for my Sony Bravia's internet connection and moving it to my Sony Blue-ray when I need to (yes, it was a pain in the rear). Performance with streaming NetFlix and Amazon movies seemed to be okay, an occasional stutter and sometimes NetFlix didn't want to stream HD. Overall I was pretty satisfied and thought that was about the best anyone could expect. After all, I knew my connection was just as fast as any TV or Blue-ray with built-in wireless.

Well, last week my wireless adapter bit the dust and I went shopping for a replacement. While surfing Amazon for the latest and greatest adapters, I ran across a few of these "powerline" adapters.

I was a little hesitant to go with the powerline network connection technology. I didn't know anyone else who was using it or, for that matter, had even heard of it. To make things even more dicey, my house is 20 years old and I've never been impressed with the workmanship in its' electrical wiring. But the reviews sounded pretty good and for $70 I figured it really wasn't much more expensive than a good quality wireless adapter plus it lets me hook up all of my media systems painlessly, so I decided to take the plunge and order the NetGear.

Well, the first thing you will notice when you open the box is the lack of detailed installation instructions. The reason is because the installation couldn't be simpler. Connect the sending unit to the wireless router (two Cat5 ethernet cables are included), plug it into the wall, connect the receiver to the TV with the other ethernet cable (and the Blue-ray and the Xbox with additional CAT5 patch cables I already had), plug it into the wall. Turn everything on. It works instantly (I didn't bother with turning on the security encryption). I can tell you that this was, by far, the easiest network connection I've ever installed and I've installed more than a few.

Right away, the Sony Blue-ray told me it wanted to update its' firmware and the NetFlix immediately started streaming HD without a single stutter. Looking good so far. Just for grins, I decided to check the actual performance (Mbps - Mega(million) bits of data per second). I set up an Internet connection speed check on my laptop and hooked it straight into the cable modem with an ethernet cable. Download speed was about 36Mbps (Comcast cable). Then I unhooked the laptop went back to the family room and checked the wireless download speed (12 Mbps w/router using mixed mode b/g/n). Wireless equipment manufacturers all claim up to 300Mbps performance but Internet providers rarely provide more than 20Mbps unless you pay extra for "high-speed" and I'd be surprised to see anyone who isn't a serious IT geek get more than 30Mbps of Internet data consistently from a wireless connection.

Then I disconnected the wireless connection and plugged the laptop into the NetGear receiver. First run was about 27Mbps, a serious improvement over the wireless speed. I also read a couple of reviews that mentioned the best performance was using a wall plug that didn't have anything else plugged into it so I moved the receiver from the same plug the TV was using to another adjacent wall plug. No noticeable improvement, still about 27Mbps. Then I unplugged a TV in the office that was plugged into the same wall plug as the NetGear sending unit. When I came back into the family room, the first thing I noticed is that the little performance LED on the front of the receiver had changed from yellow to green (that's always a good sign). When I rechecked the speed, I was getting a consistent 35Mbps, the same rate I got when the laptop was plugged straight into the cable modem !!

I was definitely a happy camper at this point. I went back to check the NetFlix performance on the Sony TV and I was surprised to find that the first thing I noticed was a serious increase in the speed when I was changing screens on the NetFlix menus and scrolling through the available movies. Hadn't thought about that little benefit. Everything I was doing on any of the Internet media servers that I use was not just a little faster it was absolutely you'd-have-to-be-blind-to-miss-it faster. Needless to say, I am sold on the NetGear powerline adapters. I don't see how anyone could go wrong with them, but that's just my opinion.

....