4 out of 5 stars
NETGEAR XE102 Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridge
Price:$79.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 28, 2004
I tested these between the two units in a duplex apartment building. Each apartment has its own electrical meter and main panel, although they share the same 240Volt service from the street. Result: Works great! The speeds varied slightly depending on the outlets into which these were plugged, but were always much faster than my 3 Mb/s cable modem connection, and were also consistently faster than 802.11b wireless. Supposedly, the connection quality is not limited by distance, and the signal travels just fine across circuit breakers, fuses, and even between the two 120V legs of a 240V service connection, as I confirmed. In a big building, or one with many obstructions, wireless is a hit-or-miss solution, whereas this seems to be rock-solid.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2005
Verified Purchase
Overall I am very happy with the Netgear XE102. I have two Macs (running OS X 10.2 and 10.3) and an old laptop running Win95. The Macs are in my second floor home office, the laptop is in the family room, the cable modem and router are in the basement. (The cable company offered "free installation" of broadband service; this turned out to mean "we'll hook up a cable modem at the point where our cable enters your house, and if that turns out to be the basement and you happen to not have your computer there, well, you can schedule further installation for an additional charge.") The Macs and a network printer are attached to a hub which connects to the XE102 in the office.

With three XE102 units (basement, office, family room) I have all my PCs hooked up to the Internet and functional. No additional configuration was needed, although I could have used VirtualPC on one of my Macs to set up security if I wanted to (we live in a standalone house, so no one else taps into our electrical system; if we lived in an apartment, I would definitely have activated the security setup, which involves putting all three units on the same password). Speeds are consistently over 10Mbps (faster than the cable modem) and, once the units were set up, we have needed no additional fussing with them. The Macs can see the Windows laptop and vice versa, and file transfers work fine (well, as well as file transfers work in a Mac/Windows environment). The laptop can even print to the network printer upstairs.

Note of caution: when first plugging in the XE102s, be patient. It took at least half an hour before the first two units found each other. The third unit also did not jump into the network immediately (and pulling it out of the wall socket and plugging it in repeatedly only slowed down the process). After all three found each other, however, I could take any one, disconnect it from the wall, plug it in at another spot (my wife likes to take the laptop onto our back deck, which has an outdoor power plug), and have immediate connectivity, anywhere in the house.

The units get a little warm, but not alarmingly so. The three indicator lights are excellent for indicating status, so long as you do not want to know anything more than, "Yes, it's working."

I recommend the XE102 for anyone who wants to connect network points within the house without running cables or fussing with WLANs, and certainly for anyone trying to connect devices in a mixed environment.

FOOTNOTE: The XE102 units also work well with XE103 and XE104 85mbps units. You can have a mixed network of the 11mbps and 85mbps units, and speeds from point-to-point will be the speed of the slower unit, but with no impact on the speeds between two fast units.
on February 24, 2005
I us three XE102's to network a primary computer to a second computer downstairs and to a media server (Squeezebox) in the living room. Installation and setup of all three took 10 minutes, and they work flawlessly.

The Netgear software utility to set the passwords is easy to use, and is also useful in verifying the transmission rates (my XE102's vary between 12.8 and 14.0 Mbps depending on what other devices in the house are drawing power).

I was surprised at how well the XE102's work, given that the circuit which the main computer's XE102 is plugged into has a ton of computer equipment plugged into it via a big Tripplite power conditioner/surge protector. Ditto for the XE102 in the living room, which is plugged into the same circuit that all my A/V equipment is plugged into.

The bottom line is that I am one very happy guy, as the XE102's have enabled me to avoid the cost/hassle of running Cat5 cable, as well as the aggravation of wireless networking (which wasn't working very well for the living room connection prior to getting the XE102's).
on June 4, 2005
Verified Purchase
I am very satisfied with my purchase of the Netgear Ethernet Powerline Adapter. I received a new laptop as a college graduation present and wanted to use it in the living room, away from all the other computer stuff. This created a slight problem since I didn't have a wireless router and wanted to connect the laptop to the internet. Well, Netgear solved that problem very easily. All you have to do is plug one of these units into a wall socket near your router and another into a socket by your computer. Connect the router and computer to their respective units using the provided 6ft of Ethernet cable and you're set to go. That's all there is to it, no configuring, no headaches.

Even though the instructions say the units won't work with an extension cord, I tried it and I still had a very stable connection. As far as speeds go I did notice lower speeds than I get on my desktop PC. However, the connection was still plenty fast for me (~3.5Mb/sec instead of the normal 4.8) and this speed decrease might even be resolved by avoiding the use of an extension cord as the instructions suggest.

The instructions also say not to use a power strip. I have not tried this myself so I don't know if it will work with a strip but I'm guessing it would, seeing as how it worked with the extension cord.

The units also come with a CD containing documentation and encryption software. I have not done anything with this CD myself so I will hold off on rating that part.

I would like to make you aware of two things before you buy this item. First, make sure you have enough Ethernet cable. As I said earlier, the units come with 6ft of cable but if this isn't enough for you, you'll want to order longer cable. Second, Make sure you buy at least 2 units. I was a little confused when I made my purchase thinking that everything I needed would come in one box. Luckily, after a little reading, I realized that each box only comes with 1 unit and you'll need at least 2 for everything to connect.

In conclusion, if you need a means of connecting objects in different rooms to the same network, you can't go wrong with the Netgear Powerline Ethernet Adapter. They are easily worth the $46.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 7, 2006
I have been a customer at Amazon since it first started and have bought hundreds and hundreds of items over the years, but I have never, until now, written a review. I absolutely have to write this one because this product has so exceeded my expectations. This is the first technology product I have ever acquired in my thirty years of being in the technology field that has worked flawlessly in the first ten seconds of use. I don't read manuals anyway, but in this case, no one has to read anything - you just plug these devices into the wall outlets and you are good to go.

I needed to extend my very fast Internet connection beyond where it comes into the house and didn't want to take the time to set up and properly secure a wireless network. I decided to try these devices based on a review by Walt Mossberg in the Wall Street Journal of a similar device by NetGear. He said it was easy, but this was so easy it's astonishing. Step one: I removed the device from its container, plugged it into a wall socket, and removed the cable connection that went from my cable modem to my laptop and plugged it into the device. Step two: I took my laptop downstairs, removed the second device from its box, plugged it into a wall socket, plugged my laptop into it and there it was - my Internet connection with the same speed I had originally. And I didn't even have to reboot!

If all of technology were this easy, we'd be a lot further ahead!
on June 9, 2006
It works (which means it is perfect in the minds of many because so much networking equipment is very fickle) but thats not really enough to give it 5 stars. So I plugged it in, it worked, it is 1/3rd the speed of a wired connection and it only worked at some outlets depending on which subpanel, location, etc I was on. It in no way should be considered a replacement for a hard wired connection but it is a fairly good substitute. It is very easy, it works slowly in some places but it is not perfect so 3 stars. Little documentation, little/none telephone support. Now 1 year later I would give it fewer stars. It works somedays, not others, still very slow, makes copying files via network almost impossible. So sporadic internet access only.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After making a music room in my house that had no windows and sound baffling insulation, it was impossible to get a wireless signal in. Got these and was up and running in no time. Connection is fantastic, always full strength, top speed.

However, on a couple of occasions, the adapter on the server side got unplugged and getting the network back up was a hassle. Sure it has to do with getting it to request IPs from the router. Next time it is offline I will have to document a surefire way to simple resolution, rather than just unplugging and connecting and disconnecting until I am seeing IPs that are not in the 69.x range.

BTW, I am using this w/an all mac network, and hooking it up to a 2Wire.
on September 9, 2006
Verified Purchase
I've been struggling with a wireless connection for about a year because there's no phone jack in the room where my computer is. I have DSL in another room with a wireless router plugged into it. I had a Belkin wireless card that needed the drivers installed almost monthly. I was a little hesitant about this product because it seemed too good to be true. The only computer product easier to use than the XE102 is a mouse. You need two of these things. Plug one in by your router, and connect a cat-5 cable between your router and the XE102. Go to your computer room, plug the other XE102 into the wall socket, and run another cat-5 cable to your computer. Windows recognizes the connection after about 5 seconds. That's all there is to it; didn't have to do anything with the router, internet settings, no software to install, nothing to do with the XE102 except plug them in. Awesome product, I wish I could give it 6 stars.
on July 8, 2005
We've been using a pair of XE102 adapters to bridge from a wired 100T Ethernet network to a remote PC for more than a year now. This is the simplest remote networking solution available - no wifi setup hassles, interference or tricky client configurations. Throughput averages a steady 5.5 Mbps, faster than most broadband connections, but of course slower than wired 100T Ethernet.

A XE102 powerline network can be setup with NO configuration, just plug and go. Although powerline networking is inherently less exposed than wifi, it's probably wise to enable encryption. We found it works best to configure all XE102 adapters from a single computer, plugging them in one-by-one. The "advanced" option to configure all adapters simultaneously never worked for us, and Netgear customer support does not respond, as noted elsewhere.

Once configured via PC, the XE102 adapters can be used with ANY Ethernet compatible device, including Macs, Linux / Unix boxes, some game systems, and Ethernet equipped Audio-Video equipment.

We have noticed occasional dropped bridge connections when a computer is rebooted. These are usually resolved by briefly unplugging the XE102, waiting about 30 seconds, then plugging back in. Despite these issues, the Netgear XE102 remains the easiest remote networking option, and avoids the range, compatibility, and configuration problems that often accompany 802.11 wifi.
on May 10, 2005
Update on 02/22/2006.
I have 3 of them. One was bought in May 2005. It stopped working on Feb. 10 2006. I called Netgear Customer Service and asked for a replacement. The thing has 3 year warranty. They just asked me to send the bad one back and would send a new one back to me. I received the new one on 02/21/2006. Thank you Netgear, and keep up the good job. One thing is important, don't forget to register your product. Someone had the same problem I had, Netgear refused to replace the bad one because he didn't register the product.

It works right out of the box with zero configuration. It is fast too. My daughter's PC is DELL P3 with 256 MB Ram running Windows98 SE. She can watch a movie from cartoonnet.com without any problems. It has been tested on my home network with the PCs, CPU: amd Barton 2800+, intel P3/P4. OS: Windows 2000 with SP4, Windows 98 SE and windows XP Pro/Home with SP4. The adapter comes with a CD, that is for data encryptation between two PC that use Netgear adapters. It is nothing to do with configuration. You don't need do any configuration at all. Just plug it into a wall outlet, and then connect the cable between your pc and the adapter. Thast is it.

At least you need two adapters, one is to hookup to your DSL/Router, the second one for the PC where ever you wand to hookup your PC.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations