5.0 out of 5 stars Super Collection
First of all, this is a terrific four-disc collection that no NFL fan should be without. The 100 greatest players are counted down, in order, with excellent film footage and commentary from a number of players, coaches, sports journalists, historians and "celebrity" fans like Dennis Miller and Burt Reynolds.

As an older fan--I'm over 60--I particularly enjoyed...
Published on February 4, 2011 by peterfromkanata

3.0 out of 5 stars Damn you, Dennis Miller!
Published 16 months ago by Not-So-Jolly_Roger

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Collection, February 4, 2011
peterfromkanata (Kanata, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)

As an older fan--I'm over 60--I particularly enjoyed seeing the greats of my youth like Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, Joe Greene and Johnny Unitas "in action" again. No--I'm afraid that players like Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Slingin' Sammy Baugh were even before my time--but their inclusion tells you that this list covers the entire history of the game, as it should.

I was also impressed with the fine booklet included in the package--a beautiful bonus for fans.

Of course the list inevitably creates debate amongst football fans--a player should be higher--or lower--the great players who are missing etc. In fact as I watched the list, I had a number of questions myself. For example, I would have placed Kellen Winslow and Alan Page much higher.

There are a number of current players on the list--Ed Reed, Randy Moss, Ladainian Tomlinson, Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzalez and Peyton Manning. I don't dispute their greatness--I'm sure they will all be in the "Hall" someday. However, should they be included on this particular list if they are still playing ? If so, what about Troy Polamalu, Drew Brees, Charles Woodson and Brian Urlacher, to name a few other fabulous players who are still out there "doing their thing" ?

Finally I will throw out a few more names that did not make the "Top 100". So some fans like myself will wonder about :--Jim Taylor--Paul Hornung--Lynn Swann--Franco Harris--Ken Stabler--Eddie George--Drew Pearson--Russ Francis--Dave Casper--Mike Curtis--Frank Gifford--Len Dawson--Larry Wilson--Steve Largent--Jim Kelly--Jerome Bettis--Carl Eller--Isaac Bruce--Billy Sims--Tim Brown--Cortez Kennedy. The longer I sit here, the more names I will think of, but I have made my point. I am sure that any self-respecting fan could add to my list.

There is another question--different players have different roles on a football team. How can we really say who was the greatest between Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice ? Their positions were so different, although each was capable of changing a game--and often did !

Bottom line--despite my comments, this is a terrific collection that provides hours of memories for football fans, and a ton of "debate material" the next time you get together with your buddies for beer and hot wings ! Enjoy !

4.0 out of 5 stars Another NFL Films masterpiece, January 1, 2011
Kris128183 (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
NFL films made another masterpiece with their list of the top 100 greatest players of all time. Each player is presented by a significant sports figure(athlete, writer, coach, owner, etc.) and each segment is filled with the great NFL Films footage of that players greatest moments. The narration is perfected as is the NFL films music. If I had one complaint its that some players get ranked too low. Barry Sanders, Randy Moss, Brett Favre, Michael Strahan and many others were ranked somewhat low in my opinion but otherwise this is a great product for any football fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable countdown of the greatest ever, May 25, 2011
J. Davis (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
This countdown, 4 discs in all, was terrific. It wasn't perfect- I did have a few quibbles with some of their choices. Gale Sayers was not better than Emmitt Smith, for example. Having said that, this is well worth watching. The producers put the selections in a great format--the players' careers were usually covered by a former teammate, coach, or rival player (my personal favorite was Joe Klecko's overview of John Hannah's career, No.24) This format provided a more comprehensive look at some of the players from the 1960s or earlier. I feel like I actually knew a lot about Bob Lilly's career, for example, although I never actually saw him play. If you're a serious football fan get this ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars National. Football. League., January 19, 2012
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
Bought this for my 9-year-old nephew at Christmas and he can recite it now.
Great program when it aired on the NFL network. Combines great debating material (Who's your top 100?) while also showing great clips, reliving great memories. The best part is the use of former NFL coaches, players and other celebrities to introduce and talk about each member of the Top 100. Using people who love the sport and the player really makes it a great show. My nephew enjoys it!

2.0 out of 5 stars I waited to watch, then discover a DEFICIT., May 17, 2013
Paul Su (California, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
It a great watch. However, I didn't get a disc 4 (TOP 10!). I got two discs three from a plastic warped new product. Be careful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Damn you, Dennis Miller!, May 9, 2013
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
Of course I had to buy this collection, being the avid football fan (and amateur football historian) I am, but some of the panelists nearly ruin it for me. I don't need to hear the robotic Derek Jeter discuss Tom Brady just because he's Derek Jeter, nor do I need to hear Alex Rodriguez try to pass himself off as the biggest Dan Marino fan on earth. Worst of all among the panelists are the geekified Chuck Klosterman, who tries to make a statistical case for Roger Staubach being one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. (I saw the man play, too, Chuck, so you know what you can do with your numbers!) The ABSOLUTE WORST presenter, in my mind, is Pittsburgh native Dennis Miller. He KILLS my enjoyment of watching the Terry Bradshaw, "Mean" Joe Greene, and Jack Ham segments so much that I can barely watch them without the urge to hit the mute button and read the subtitles instead! Do I (and my fellow Steeler fans) really deserve THAT? At least NFL Network got it right with Greene presenting the late Mike Webster and Bob Trumpy presenting Mel Blount (I believe Miller also presents Jack Lambert; on second thought, it's Klosterman, who is no better). Among the non-athlete or celebrity presenters, Michael MacCambridge (author of "America's Game" presenting Bobby Bell), Sen. Amy Klobuchar (daughter of Minnesota sportswriter Jim Klobuchar presenting Fran Tarkenton), and Sports Illustrated's Steve Rushin (presenting Alan Page) have real connections to their subjects and tell compelling stories. Jennifer Allen, daughter of the late George Allen, also does a credible job showcasing Deacon Jones. It's too bad a clown like Miller was somehow allowed to monopolize the majority of the Steelers segments. He makes them damned near unwatchable for me with his unfunny, incoherent gibberish.

5.0 out of 5 stars NFL Top 100 greatest players, April 1, 2013
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
This is FABULOUS if you like football. The top players, in fact ALL the players, selected are very deserving. The film is just so well done and so much fun to watch!! I LOVED it!

1.0 out of 5 stars So much foul language! :(, February 3, 2012
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
My boys (10 and 13) were dying to get this dvd collection and were thrilled to receive it for Christmas. Imagine my surprise when I walk in and hear the comments about sex (I had nothing against the context, but it was totally unnecessary.) The "F" words are bleeped, but are still quite obvious. Way too much other foul language that isn't bleeped. I was incredibly disappointed because the dvds have so much other great information and historical value. Unless I can find someone to edit them, we will not be keeping them. They hear plenty of inappropriate language at school; there's no reason for them to hear it at home as well. It's sad, because it is so unnecessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Program., February 27, 2014
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
Great program for any football fan. This set covers a wide range of players from many different positions and era's. The interviews and footage make it a very unique and entertaining collection of greats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 14, 2014
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
Got this collection for my husband, who loves football. He loves it, and for that I give it 5 stars :)

NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players
NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players by NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD - 2011)
$44.99 $37.98