Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NHL 13 (Stanley Cup Collector's Edition) - Playstation 3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Platform: PlayStation 3|Edition: Stanley Cup Collector's|Change

on October 9, 2012
NHL13 is the most impressive and frustrating entry in the NHL series. But this review specifically addresses the shortcomings of the Collector's Edition. A Special/Collector's Edition that includes only downloadable content is just fluff. There's no real content unless you want an extra boost for your Online Pro (so very insignificant) or your Ultimate Team (a bunch of Kings, Devils and Wayne Gretzky), a mode that you may or may not play. The only legitimate benefit for buying the Stanley Cup edition is not having to look at Claude Giroux and Flyer orange on the cover. But even then, he's on the disc so there's no escaping him. (He haunts my dreams.) I know most of the stuff that comes in CEs are junk. But it's junk that you can hold in your hands and show to your friends with an air of mock sincerity while they secretly consider you a fool for spending extra $20. With this edition, however, after the the novelty of beating innocent HUT players with your ageless Gretzky diminishes, the only trinket you have left is regret.
on September 23, 2012
This is going to be a review on the extras included in this edition rather than a full game review. If you want to see that, go check out the standard edition reviews.
For 20 extra dollars you are getting a embossed steel case and extra DLC. The DLC is 3 ultimate team packs and a boost pack for create a pro, so if you do not play those modes, I would not recommend the product. For the ps3 edition, you also get 10 percent off a purchase on the NHL store, which i'm never going to use cause Amazon has everything way cheaper even after 10 percent, and the full NHL arcade game that is priced at 9.99 if you were to buy it separate on the ps store.. All in all, to me, this was a great deal for me as just the extra game covers half of the extra price of the upgrade. The steelbook looks very nice, and the DLC is very useful, great buy!
on November 6, 2014
I have playes this as often as I can get away from daddy duty and though it is a learning curve I am 0-4-0 and that looks bad, but the deficit in losing is down to one goal per game. My son wants to play it with me, but minecraft on the Ipad is still detracting from society most of the time. The visual on hdmi is sharp and crisp. The announcers are very intuitive as the game progresses. Over all you will not be disappoint with this collector's edition.
on June 7, 2014
I just really got into hockey and wanted a game to take up some of my free time while enjoying hockey

This game has good graffics and good control commands and it has a wide range of game modes as well as having different difficulty levels its a game everyone can enjoy either at home or trough online play
on August 21, 2013
Or check the size of the "steelbook" casing? My copy wont even fit in my DVD shelf, that is made for individual discs. The casing for the Stanley Cup Edition is atrocious and cheap. It is oversized and plastic with an aluminum feeling wrapping that makes the case too large to store with other DVD's (which are already larger than PS3 and BluRay dics).

In addition, the game play is not all that changed from the 2002 version of the game. Some controls are changed, but there are too many controls and the convoluted button layout must have been rushed together or never tested...or both...because they are terrible.

Moreover, the game glitches constantly, the AI is terrible and in HUT (hockey ultimate team) EA doesn't even apologize for ripping you off. They charge you (real or in game money...which takes ages to accumulate) for digital hockey cards that can be used in your team, however, more often than not the packs are never loaded to your account and they just take your money. I have talked to EA about this and got "help" but after months still no packs or refunds.

In addition, the in game money (pucks) do not always load either, so they basically force you to pay real money for no real product.

Stay away from EA and all their titles.

Unfortunately, if you are a Hockey fan EA is the only choice for you. Hopefully there will be some competition once EA is sued for monopoly style business practices (in which EA buys out the rights to the leagues, logos and players and no one else can use) and other companies can create competitive practices and choices for the gamers. These business practices by EA are illegal and have the end result of belittling the consumer.

Again, avoid ALL EA titles if you can help it, they do not care about you, just your money.
on June 4, 2014
Great Game. I started watching hockey this year during the Stanley Cup playoffs and started to like it. Once I played this game I started to LOVE it! This game is fun even if you don't know much about hockey. It really helps you to understand how to play hockey and understand the rules. I was hooked as soon as I played the first game! The graphics are amazing! I really love this game and I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase!
on July 19, 2013
Let's start at the beginning. I'm a teenager who unfortunately has never played ice hockey but is an avid fan. I have played NHL 11 and NHL 12 for hours on end, but I just can't seem to rack up the minutes on NHL 13.

I have a PS3, and it's about 3 years old. It should run fine, right?

Wrong. Every time I try and advance my be a pro past the Draft, it freezes, without fail. I had successful be a pros on NHL 11 and 12, and I was hoping to do it again on NHL 13, but I guess I won't even be able to start

The core gameplay mechanics are completely changed too (and not for the better). The new "True Performance Skating" is really just a way to make it harder to beat the computer, as players used to NHL 11 and 12 will stop and start and perform sharp turns, which is a death sentence for skating speed. This may be realistic (I doubt it, as I watch the NHL and the players are able to accelerate faster and make sharp turns on the ive), but it sure is not fun whatsoever, especially when you try a rookie difficulty season mode and get your rear end handed to you by a mediocre AHL team.

NHL 13 introduces the EASHL (EA Sports Hockey League), in which you can customize a pro, and play online be a pro games. This is a great idea, except it is almost impossible to score a goal with the pathetic gameplay, and XP is rarely, if ever earned in games, ensuring that people who want to level up their player will never get to. This is extremely discouraging.

Also, when one is customizing "My NHL", they can customize their pro, and max out the attributes. When one attempts to start a be a pro, those attributes go down the drain. And there's another entirely separate system for the EASHL. It is all very confusing, and if I am not doing this description justice, it is because I scarcely understand what is going on myself.

One thing that has changed since NHL 11 and 12 is that accuracy has gone down. You. Will. Not. Score. With. A. Slapshot. Period. Ever. It is wristshot mania, with goalies having the ability to make clutch saves 90% of the time one tries to deke them out.

It's also fantastic that the game allows one to spend about 30 minutes customizing a player, another 45 minutes customizing a team with its own logo, and then not allow the custom player to be on the custom team. Genius!

Ultimate Team is fun though, I will give EA that.

Overall, I have more or less abandoned NHL 13. It is a fantastic video game as its case comes in handy to swat flies and the like, and you are almost certainly guaranteed to have a good laugh at the expense of your friends when they attempt to play this game at your house, as they will just have no idea what is going on. I play NHL 13 Ultimate Team over NHL 12 Ultimate Team because I got the Stanley Cup edition (in June 2013 it was the same price as the normal edition, so I thought what the heck) and I have 11 above average players including the Great One. Might I add that it is sad to see Wayne Gretzky take off down the rink and have the puck taken from him due to a tiny shove from a 70 rated defense?

Don't buy this game. Wait until NHL 14 comes out, and maybe they'll have done away with Truly Pathetic Skating.
on July 23, 2013
While the graphics might not have changed much since the previous version, the physics and clipping has gotten much better! The collisions look and feel real, the goaltender moves are phenomenal, and overall it's an incredibly fun game to play! And considering the price difference between the Stanley Cup Edition and the standard box is less than a dollar (at the moment of this review), this was an amazing deal!
on October 2, 2013
I have never owned a hockey game, but the playoffs got me more interested in hockey. I couldn't wait for NHL 14 to come out, so I bought the 13 edition. I have not been disappointed with it. Really enjoy the creation part and putting your own player through what an NHL player goes through. Very exciting game.
on June 21, 2015
Haven't played it much yet, as I'm toiling with a few other seasons, dynasties etc... The graphics are great with very fluid game play, love the customization as far as the newer Winter Classic option, and the throwback and alternate unis.

See 1 answered question