5.0 out of 5 stars NHL Stanley Cup Edition
This is going to be a review on the extras included in this edition rather than a full game review. If you want to see that, go check out the standard edition reviews.
Published on September 23, 2012 by Y. Sun

3.0 out of 5 stars NHL13 Stanley Cup Edition settles for a lottery pick
Published on October 9, 2012 by J. D. Patrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars NHL13 Stanley Cup Edition settles for a lottery pick, October 9, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NHL 13 (Stanley Cup Collector's Edition) - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
NHL13 is the most impressive and frustrating entry in the NHL series. But this review specifically addresses the shortcomings of the Collector's Edition. A Special/Collector's Edition that includes only downloadable content is just fluff. There's no real content unless you want an extra boost for your Online Pro (so very insignificant) or your Ultimate Team (a bunch of Kings, Devils and Wayne Gretzky), a mode that you may or may not play. The only legitimate benefit for buying the Stanley Cup edition is not having to look at Claude Giroux and Flyer orange on the cover. But even then, he's on the disc so there's no escaping him. (He haunts my dreams.) I know most of the stuff that comes in CEs are junk. But it's junk that you can hold in your hands and show to your friends with an air of mock sincerity while they secretly consider you a fool for spending extra $20. With this edition, however, after the the novelty of beating innocent HUT players with your ageless Gretzky diminishes, the only trinket you have left is regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars NHL Stanley Cup Edition, September 23, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
For 20 extra dollars you are getting a embossed steel case and extra DLC. The DLC is 3 ultimate team packs and a boost pack for create a pro, so if you do not play those modes, I would not recommend the product. For the ps3 edition, you also get 10 percent off a purchase on the NHL store, which i'm never going to use cause Amazon has everything way cheaper even after 10 percent, and the full NHL arcade game that is priced at 9.99 if you were to buy it separate on the ps store.. All in all, to me, this was a great deal for me as just the extra game covers half of the extra price of the upgrade. The steelbook looks very nice, and the DLC is very useful, great buy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Fun, Freezes, Too Much Mediocre Content, July 19, 2013
Let's start at the beginning. I'm a teenager who unfortunately has never played ice hockey but is an avid fan. I have played NHL 11 and NHL 12 for hours on end, but I just can't seem to rack up the minutes on NHL 13.

I have a PS3, and it's about 3 years old. It should run fine, right?

Wrong. Every time I try and advance my be a pro past the Draft, it freezes, without fail. I had successful be a pros on NHL 11 and 12, and I was hoping to do it again on NHL 13, but I guess I won't even be able to start

The core gameplay mechanics are completely changed too (and not for the better). The new "True Performance Skating" is really just a way to make it harder to beat the computer, as players used to NHL 11 and 12 will stop and start and perform sharp turns, which is a death sentence for skating speed. This may be realistic (I doubt it, as I watch the NHL and the players are able to accelerate faster and make sharp turns on the ive), but it sure is not fun whatsoever, especially when you try a rookie difficulty season mode and get your rear end handed to you by a mediocre AHL team.

NHL 13 introduces the EASHL (EA Sports Hockey League), in which you can customize a pro, and play online be a pro games. This is a great idea, except it is almost impossible to score a goal with the pathetic gameplay, and XP is rarely, if ever earned in games, ensuring that people who want to level up their player will never get to. This is extremely discouraging.

Also, when one is customizing "My NHL", they can customize their pro, and max out the attributes. When one attempts to start a be a pro, those attributes go down the drain. And there's another entirely separate system for the EASHL. It is all very confusing, and if I am not doing this description justice, it is because I scarcely understand what is going on myself.

One thing that has changed since NHL 11 and 12 is that accuracy has gone down. You. Will. Not. Score. With. A. Slapshot. Period. Ever. It is wristshot mania, with goalies having the ability to make clutch saves 90% of the time one tries to deke them out.

It's also fantastic that the game allows one to spend about 30 minutes customizing a player, another 45 minutes customizing a team with its own logo, and then not allow the custom player to be on the custom team. Genius!

Ultimate Team is fun though, I will give EA that.

Overall, I have more or less abandoned NHL 13. It is a fantastic video game as its case comes in handy to swat flies and the like, and you are almost certainly guaranteed to have a good laugh at the expense of your friends when they attempt to play this game at your house, as they will just have no idea what is going on. I play NHL 13 Ultimate Team over NHL 12 Ultimate Team because I got the Stanley Cup edition (in June 2013 it was the same price as the normal edition, so I thought what the heck) and I have 11 above average players including the Great One. Might I add that it is sad to see Wayne Gretzky take off down the rink and have the puck taken from him due to a tiny shove from a 70 rated defense?

Don't buy this game. Wait until NHL 14 comes out, and maybe they'll have done away with Truly Pathetic Skating.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... a learning curve I am 0-4-0 and that looks bad, but the deficit in losing is down to ..., November 6, 2014
I have playes this as often as I can get away from daddy duty and though it is a learning curve I am 0-4-0 and that looks bad, but the deficit in losing is down to one goal per game. My son wants to play it with me, but minecraft on the Ipad is still detracting from society most of the time. The visual on hdmi is sharp and crisp. The announcers are very intuitive as the game progresses. Over all you will not be disappoint with this collector's edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Gift, July 13, 2014
Great Game !

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, July 6, 2014
Great game! Awesome graphics, highly recommend this to anyone. There are great tutorials if you're a beginner for the nhl franchise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 16, 2014
I got this so I could play with a friend of mine I havnt seen in quite some time. It arrived much earlier then expected

5.0 out of 5 stars Good graffics and control commands, June 7, 2014
I just really got into hockey and wanted a game to take up some of my free time while enjoying hockey

This game has good graffics and good control commands and it has a wide range of game modes as well as having different difficulty levels its a game everyone can enjoy either at home or trough online play

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game. I LOVE IT!, June 4, 2014
Great Game. I started watching hockey this year during the Stanley Cup playoffs and started to like it. Once I played this game I started to LOVE it! This game is fun even if you don't know much about hockey. It really helps you to understand how to play hockey and understand the rules. I was hooked as soon as I played the first game! The graphics are amazing! I really love this game and I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars game, May 20, 2014
I picked this rating because it arrived on time and the game is fun would recommend it to anyone who likes these kind of games

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›