4.0 out of 5 stars Good release, but.... (3.5 stars)
Published on February 7, 2010 by Daniel H. Ekman

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointing
Published on April 6, 2010 by John Connor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good release, but.... (3.5 stars), February 7, 2010
Daniel H. Ekman (Potomac, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
As my title indicates, I am thrilled that there are finally a set for the Washington Capitals on DVD. And certainly, I cannot argue with the choices of the games such as the 87 series win against the Philadelphia Flyers, the 98 series win against the Sabres, or even the more recent game in 2009 where Ovechkin and Crosby both notched hat tricks in Capital wins. I can also understand including the Penguins game from 96, seeing as they have traditionally been a rival of the Capitals.

However, there are a couple of things about the game selection that bother me. First, two of the most memorable games from growing up as a Capitals fan were the Easter Epic 4OT game against the New York Islanders and the 4 OT game in 1996 against the Pittsburgh Penguins. I understand that these probably would not be included because these sets typically do not feature losses, but both of these games were well-played, suspense-filled games against traditional rivals. Furthermore, even if they are only including wins, why would they not include the game 6 from 1994 where the Washington Capitals eliminated the Pittsburgh Penguins (especially considering how much trouble Washington had winning playoff series prior to that against the Penguins)?

This goes somewhat with my second complaint, which is that the set is tempered far more towards the Alex Ovechkin fans or newer Capitals fans. Do not get me wrong, I think he is one of the most exciting and hardest working players in the league and has managed to rekindle the interest of fans such as myself who had been less than inspired by our team's descent. However, there are 4 regular season games centered around Ovechkin or an Ovechkin led team. Why couldn't they have picked maybe 1 or 2 at most of the most significant of those games. Furthermore, while the 2-1 victory over the Rangers was certainly important historically, I would hardly call it a "greatest game" as it lacked excitement with the exception of the final 5 minutes or so of the third period (Compare it to the Isles-Caps 86 4 OT game and you will see what I mean). Finally, with all of the great players the Capitals had coming through their organization in the 80s and early 90s, it is a shame that there is only one pre-1996 game included in this set. This seems especially glaring when Rod Langway is on the back of the box, and yet would have only been in one of those games. In my opinion, they should have chosen at least 2 more games from those great 1980s teams that included players such as Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy, Rod Langway, Mike Gartner, etc.

That said, I am excited this DVD came out and have pre-ordered a copy. However, as a hockey fan, I view it more as the best of Ovechkin, with only a brief footnotes worth of games from the prior era. I wish they had included more from the past eras of the Capitals, which were unique and exciting in their own right (I would have done 3 games from the 80s, a game from the 90 playoffs or 94 elimination of Pittsburgh, the 96 game they have, the 98 game they have, and then choose 4 of the 7 Ovechkin era games they included). Hopefully this helps those who are considering whether to purchase this set.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dissapointing, April 6, 2010
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
As a current Caps season ticket holder and long time fan who has been going to games for over 20 years I was very excited when I heard about this set, then absolutely dissapointed when I saw the games that were included. The first 3 games are great and should be included, but then you get 7 games from '05 to now. What the heck? This should be just entitled the best of Ovechkin. Contrary to what people may thing the Caps did have a team and fans before Ovie arrived. It would have been real nice to have seen some win from the early years in the late '70's. I know most of those weren't broadcast and the team was not very good, but as a Caps fan you want to see a bit of all periods of history. Then in the '80's the Caps started winning, let's see a game or two before '88!!! The '98 game advancing to the Cup is necessary, but why not another from that year? It's still the most successful year the Caps have ever had (until hopefully this year). Very dissapointing. Recommended for an Ovechkin fan, but for someone looking for a history of the Caps franchise from the beginning this totally dissapoints.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why I'm disappointed, May 3, 2014
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
I'm a huge hockey fan; one of my closest buddies isn't nearly as hockey savvy. I wanted to show him the right way to play hockey... and this set doesn't even have a single game with the Konowalchuk - Halpern - Dahlen line... shameful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fedorov + Ovechkin + Semin = AWESOME, December 5, 2012
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
The heading says it all. The era of the caps that has these players is a heck of alot of fun to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 21, 2014
JUST BLU RAY!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've always dreamed of owning a multi-DVD box-set of one of my eight favorite NHL teams!, June 14, 2010
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
As my title indicates, this Washington Capitals 10-DVD box-set is like a dream come true! When I saw this box-set on the Amazon.com home page, I thought, "Oh my gosh! That box-set has got my name on it!" I have been a fan of the NHL since '84 & a fan of the Washington Capitals since '92. I love that the set contains games from each jersey era, meaning on disc 1, the team wears the jersey from '74-'95, on discs 2-4, the team wears the jerseys from '95-'07 and on discs 5-10, the team wears the jerseys from '07-the present. Also, a lot of my favorite Capitals players like Alex Ovechkin, Mike Gartner, Dale Hunter, Nicklas Backstrom, Olaf Kolzig and my personal favorite, Peter Bondra are shown in action. I also like the choice of games in the set. Now, since I own this set, I watch one DVD a day from it during the NHL off-season & the following pre-season so that I don't go through hockey withdrawal. Lastly, just like another reviewer said of this box-set, I also like the packaging of the set 'cause it's packaged as one large DVD case that opens up like a book and it has all of the DVDs inside of it. So, I recommend this multi-DVD box-set to anyone who's a fan of the Washington Capitals or the NHL, in general, because, believe me, it is TERRIFIC!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hockey, May 8, 2010
Ghetifal "Jono" (San Mateo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
I don't think reviews can really help with deciding to purchase this. If you love hockey, then obviously you will enjoy this. Do you want to watch amazing hockey action? Buy it. I also own the Pittsburgh 10 Greatest Games and I think they did a better job with the packaging for the Washington set. Rather than a box of 5 thin dvd cases, they have one large dvd case that opens like a book and houses all of the DVDs.

1.0 out of 5 stars hard to find five let alone ten great games in Cap history, August 25, 2011
Brian Maitland (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games (DVD)
This is a DVD set stretched pretty thin given the failures of the Rod Langway-era Capitals to go deep in the playoffs. I get that now Alexander Ovechkin is "the" superstar but how about waiting until the Caps do something of significance in the playoffs before releasing anything like this?

To be honest, the greatest game in Caps history was one they lost--the 1987 Mother's Day marathon OT Game 7 vs. the New York Islanders. That you can get on the Isles DVD set and is far superior to any of these games on this one as that had unreal action even during the 2nd and 3rd OTs when players were beyond tired.

Skip this and wait another ten years to see if the Caps can compile enough games worthy to be called "great."

NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games
NHL Washington Capitals 10 Greatest Games by Dale Hunter (DVD - 2010)
$49.98 $25.00