5.0 out of 5 stars On The Edge of My Seat!
Published on May 22, 2002 by Fred Rayworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Numbers must bewilder the author
Published on December 6, 2011 by Harrison Bergeron

5.0 out of 5 stars On The Edge of My Seat!, May 22, 2002
Fred Rayworth (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Game (Mass Market Paperback)
Casey Atwood makes a living spotting cheats in casinos. Hired by the wife of a hotel casino owner, her job is to look into shady dealings at the casino. As she begins work, bodies start to show up. The deeper she delves into the problems of the establishment, the closer a mysterious enemy comes to killing her. To add to her troubles, she falls in love with the owner of the casino but cannot touch him because he is married. She has little time for romance though as the enemy becomes bolder and more aggressive. The climax is a thrill a minute.
This is Carol's fifth novel and it is definitely one of her best. I could hardly put it down. If you are looking for a great read and enough mystery and suspense to keep you guessing right to the end, then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, November 30, 2011
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of $0.99 books because I like reading, and I refuse to pay the jacked up prices on e-book best sellers (Thanks, Apple money grubbers). So I think I know a good story when I see one.
This book may be the best of the hundred or so "value" books I've read.
Great story, lots of intrigue, no unbelievable superheros.

I read it in two sittings, wow, great read!
You won't be sorry, thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Game is terror on a rampage!, August 22, 1997
This review is from: Night Game (Mass Market Paperback)
Author Carol Davis Luce will take you on a thrilling roller coaster ride and leave you shaken and breathless. And when the book finally shudders to a halt and you're on solid ground again, you will be haunted by scintillating Reno nights, the secrets of the dealers, and a memorable character: Kasey Atwood, whose dangerous undercover work leads her to love, betrayal, and murder

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the finest mysteries i've read in a long time, February 13, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Night Game (Mass Market Paperback)
IF YOU ENJOY A GOOD SUSPENSE NOVEL SET IN THE GLITTER OF A GAMBLING COMMUNITY, THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU. THIS BOOK HAS SOMETHING FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN. AS YOU PROGRESS THROUGH THE BOOK IT BECOMES A PAGE TURNER.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, December 29, 2011
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
I don't believe in synopsizing the novel in my reviews & wish other reviewers would observe the same, the blurb does that for you. I also don't believe in commenting on the price of a novel. I just want to give you my findings on the novel.

I've just finished this novel & I thoroughly enjoyed it. Things I like in a novel - the author tells you something & then repeats it further into the novel (love that - I don't have to go back looking for the info), all the loose ends get tied up & the pace is good. I got this in this novel. I really would have given it 5 stars but for the bad punctuation, ie, full stops where it should have been a coma and some bad ?typing, eg, comer rather than corner & no, my eyes didn't deceive me cos I put the cursor on the word & the dictionary gave me the meaning of 'comer'!! That said, I enjoyed the read & I think I'll read some more of this lady.

3.0 out of 5 stars Numbers must bewilder the author, December 6, 2011
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
Good story, well paced. However, I found the lack of research when it comes to numbers very annoying. A 12 story hotel/casino of 49,000 sq ft (p. 86, loc. 1540)? With 25,000 employees (loc. 1520)? Another hotel described as having 2,000 rooms in 100,000 sq ft (loc. 1952)? A little common sense, please - that's 50 sq ft per room with no hallways, lobby or anything! Must be like the TARDIS - bigger on the inside. A very picky complaint, true, but the serious lack of association with reality is a sign of sloppiness. That said, it's well worth the 99 cents if you skip the dimensional silliness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, May 11, 2011
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
A great story with a lovable character named Kasey. In fact, Kasey is so lovable, she could easily have additional books written about her. The story has many twists and turns and will keep you guessing until the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty,Gripping and realistic., December 10, 2011
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
I could hear the bells of the slot machines and the celebration at winning tables. Ms. Davis truely captures the atmosphere of the casino floors.
Night Game follows Casey Atwood who investigates casino cheating. She is hired by an owner's wife to investigate questionable goings on in the casino. Things get complicated when she falls for the owner, Mr King. As her investigation gets closer to the truth, she becomes the target of a deranged killer. Night Game is a thrill ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE, November 23, 2011
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
NIGHT GAME was my first Carol Davis Luce book. I decided to give some of the low-cost books a try, hoping that I could find something "readable." I truly didn't expect to come across a book of this quality. It was extremely difficult for me to go to bed on time, and every time I had to put this book down I was more reluctant than the last. Good characters, great action, I didn't figure out the ending until the ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Carol Davis Luce great., January 18, 2012
This review is from: NIGHT GAME (Kindle Edition)
Night Game begins with a thief that calls himself The Monk entering a room in the King's Club casino hotel in Reno with the intent to steal, but a guest is there and awake so he kills her. We next meet Kasey Atwood, a freelance "spotter" who is hired by casinos, clubs and restaurants, to discover who is stealing from them. Kasey grew up in a casino owned by her parents so knows the gambling business inside out. She now lives with her mother in mother's lodging house, and her estranged father, an alcoholic, has little part in her life.

An old friend, Dianne, persuades her husband Jay King, the King's Club's owner, to hire Kasey to teach his nephew Brad the ins and outs of casino operation. Then Jay tells Kasey in confidence he wants her to look into threats against him, Dianne and the King's Club. Situations designed to intimidate the Kings and ruin the King's Club's business become frequent, and we know from the onset that the Monk is behind them.

Tension escalates as the Monk terrorizes Jay and Dianne, while Kasey fends off Brad and tries to stifle her feelings for Jay, that she has had since she was in high school. The elusive Monk is always one step ahead of them and when he intrudes in Kasey's personal life she knows she has become a target. This intricately crafted plot builds to a dramatic climax.

As in all Carol Davis Luce novels, characters are fully fleshed personalities. The Monk is a fascinating villain, intelligent, devious, brutal, without an ounce on conscience. He uses people and then disposes of them. He moves through the casino under everyone's nose like a ghost.

The plot is intriguing, suspense puts you on the edge and the end comes as a surprise. Another wonderful story, excellently written, full of twists and turns that left me wanting more.

NIGHT GAME