5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Wii Repair

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy At All
Published 19 months ago by Dr. Dan Meyers

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Wii Repair, September 20, 2010
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
My kids broke their Wii© and it wouldn't read disks. I found this drive on amazon.com and took a chance on it. The replacement was quick and easy. To open the Wii© it will require you to buy an eight dollar Tri tip screw driver, also available on amazon.com. It took me one hour to replace the drive and it worked like new. As a comparison, it took my son and I six hours to put together a LEGO star wars ship. Give it a shot; there are only 8 screws on the outer casing and four on the drive. Some of the screws are under rubber bumpers and stickers. Inside there are two sure fit ribbon connectors that snap on and off and prevent misconnection. I can't stress how easy this drive is to replace.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy At All, February 14, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
Not happy with Wii disk drive or service. The Wii drive they sent me did not work. After installing their defective drive, I then reinstalled the old drive back in to be sure before sending their drive back. My old drive spins (then gets disk error in game which is why I needed replacement). After contacting them, I was informed I had to pay return shipping. Then they told me they tested it and it DID work. No. It didn't. Otherwise, I wouldn't have sent it back. THE DRIVE THEY SENT DID NOT SPIN - PERIOD.

THE REAL KICKER: They then held a high "restocking fee" for their defective drive. What Amazon vendor treats a customer like this? Not many in my experience. Wow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fix for Wii, September 24, 2010
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
My Wii was making a noise when running and not playing games without error. My daughter used to leave her Wii on all the time. Anyway I looked online for a fix and was told to replace the laser on the DVD drive. Did that and it worked fine for about a day but the noise never stopped. So the errors came back. I was about to buy a new Wii but I thought I would give this a try. Replacing the entire DVD Drive was easier than replacing the laser and it's been a month and it still works fine for all games including super smash brothers and mario party 8. Easy directions on you tube or just google. Need a small phillips head screwdriver. The special 3 prong screwdriver was included with the drive. I am more than happy with the DVD drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super effective, easy solution to most Wii problems, September 13, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
My Wii's laser lens, as well as some of the wiring in the drive, had overheated and fried last December (I bought mine from my brother-in-law, who is a lot less delicate with these sorts of things than I am). With a bit of apprehension, I bought this replacement drive to fix it myself. I say apprehension because I'm not really that experienced with technical fixes, and was a bit afraid I'd do more damage than good. Well, that worry was needless, as it is a very easy procedure to take the Wii apart and replace this vital component.

First off, a little preparation: You'll definitely need a tri-wing screwdriver, which are very cheap here on Amazon. You'll also want a set of some very small Philips head screwdrivers. I'd also recommend having either a computer or laptop by your side with extensive tutorials on Youtube on how to do this whole procedure so you can reference it step-by-step, OR at least print off detailed instructions. Taking the Wii apart, replacing the drive itself (which is extremely simple, clean, and easy), and putting the Wii back together again should take you about an hour, maybe two if you want to take it as slowly and carefully as possible.

After this is done, any problem that your Wii may have had before should be completely gone now. This is a huge component of the Wii's hardware system, and so once you put this baby in, it's like you have a brand new Wii console again, but with all of your previous data and saves still perfectly intact! This is a much cheaper, far simpler alternative to sending your Wii to Nintendo to have them fix it for you, and certainly more so than buying a new Wii itself! These drives are of the highest quality too, so don't worry about it giving you any problems in the future. I bought and fixed my Wii in January, 2011, and my Wii is still working like a champ (and it still works great as of March, 2013), better than it ever had before with its original stock hardware. So if you suffer any unfortunate problems with your Wii, then buy this drive and you'll be on your way to a better-than-ever Wii console!

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement, July 16, 2010
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
I bought this to replace the broken drive in my game console. For the money, it can't be beat. Works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy fix for Wii disk read errors., September 21, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
Like many other kids, mine still have a problem shutting down the game and removing the disk when finished playing the Wii. As a result, we started getting a lot of disk read errors, especially on double-layer disks. I tried cleaning the lenses first by disassembling the unit and using lens cleaner wipes, but the disk errors persisted. So I bought this drive and am very satisfied with the result. You'll need a tri-wing screwdriver to disassemble the Wii. There are lots of videos on youtube on how to replace the drive. Once the new drive was installed, we've had no more problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fix!, February 21, 2013
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
My wii was not reading any disc. I checked to see what the best fix would be. I saw that amazon had a dvd drive replacement, so I ordered one. In just a few minutes, we were back in business. Plus, it only cost me $40!!

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD drive for Wii, August 17, 2013
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
what can I say, taking the Wii apart was a little of a pain in the neck, but it's better then buying a new one... cheap fix, and kept the 7yr old happy...

4.0 out of 5 stars Might work. Not sure. My fault., March 8, 2013
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
I bought this because my Wii stopped reading discs and I'd read that it was easier to replace the whole drive rather than just to replace the laser. Following instructions online, it wasn't that hard to replace the drive, just a little tedious. Unfortunately this drive didn't work in my Wii, as I had installed it. COULD be my fault. It read the discs just fine but would not load a disc when I put it into the slot. Then when I ejected a disc, it would spit all the way out onto the shelf. If I turned the Wii off and put a disc in, it would power on and load the disc normally and play it just fine, but I never did get the loading/unloading to work correctly when switching discs.

Unfortunately, after taking the drive back out and trying to figure out what was happening, I broke the ribbon cable connector on the drive board (very very fragile) and the cable would no longer stay connected. My fault :-(

I was about to toss the whole thing into the trash, then I realized, wait! I can take the laser out of the this drive (which reads discs), and swap it with the laser in the old drive (which loads and ejects correctly). 30 minutes later, I had a working Wii. So I wound up spending too much money on a drive when I just ended up using the laser, and spending too much time removing and reinstalling two lasers instead of zero lasers. But my Wii works and I'm happy.

So. Does this particular drive work? I don't know. I never got it to work, but... It COULD be my fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got the wii back up and running. Happy kids again/ read update 9/2013, December 10, 2012
This review is from: NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET (Video Game)
Update 9/2013, Wii drive went dead again. Not used a whole lot, but still it didnt make it one year. Still a decent deal if you need to get the console running again. Not sure if its worth buying a second time
Got this because of the price. Its far cheaper than sending it back to Nintendo. Other drives listed on amazon had reviews of being used (when listed as new) and had to be cracked to operate. This was plug and play AND looked new. Go online or just take your time on getting the case apart. Lots of screws, some are different sizes. You will need to buy a tri bit screw driver. A small phillips is included. When you take your wii apart, you dont need to disconnect the 2 wire plug coming from the face plate. Its easy to work around it. I thought I would break the wires forcing it to unplug. Time will tell how well the drive holds up, but for the price, its worth a shot.

NINTENDO WII DVD DRIVE D2C COMPLEET