5.0 out of 5 stars The NIX X08A vs. the NIX X07B (and other 7" frames)
Published on April 12, 2010 by Samuel Chell

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for price with room for improvement
I was looking for a digital frame for my husbands office and decided on the NIX x08A frame based on the affordable price. It was $10 dollars less than a Kodak digital photo frame (Kodak Easyshare P730m) with the added capability of playing videos and music.

Pros:
- Frame was delivered super fast (two days) and shipping was free.
- Setups between two...
Published on July 8, 2010 by mum of twins

5.0 out of 5 stars The NIX X08A vs. the NIX X07B (and other 7" frames), April 12, 2010
This review is from: NIX X08C Hu-Motion: 8 Inch Digital Picture Frame with Motion Detection Sensor. (Electronics)
Amazon's introductory prices for these NIX digital frames were enough in themselves to catch my attention. I started with the 7" model and, though my expectations were not high, sensed that the combination of the extra wide dimensions (necessitating constant repositioning of the frame) and lackluster resolution would result in my finding little if any use for the frame. NIX customer support was so helpful that I decided to stay with the brand but to move up to this 8" model. It's all the difference in the world and well worth the extra expense. First, the 4:3 dimensions of this frame assure that you can load it, start it, and forget it. No need to turn the frame on its long end to fill the frame for every vertically-oriented image. Even with auto rotation and split screen features, the extra wide (16:9) screens, or aspect ratios, of the lower-priced NIX and some of the other "stretched" frames introduce problems because of the different orientations of shots and the cropped or distorted shapes that frequently ensue upon tweaking an image to fill a frame. But there's also the question of picture quality, especially definition.

The picture of the 8" model, I'm convinced, has sharper definition and brighter, more pleasing colors--very close, if not equal, to a high-definition computer screen. Additionally, the slide show and transitions are performing more consistently, with the photos even showing more regularly in their correct--horizontal or vertical--orientation. And the size of the frame is such that a vertical photo, even though appearing in a frame that's slightly wider than it is high, does not look disproportionate. In fact, with this frame it's highly unlikely you'll turn the frame vertically to activate its "automatic orientation" feature. Finally, unlike the XO7B, which comes with a quick set-up sheet, the XO8A comes with a more informative and complete little booklet, including a trouble-shooting section (the instructions are perhaps less clear than those with the 7" model, but the frame is practically "plug and play," not requiring close examination of the manual. (If you do any tweaking, I'd recommend trying the automatic "crop" feature. It may reduce some of the area of your photos, but it won't distort or diminish size, consequently making it all the easier to keep the frame in a single, fixed position. I'm so satisfied with what this frame does for the photos taken with my Canon Elf (SD-780), I haven't even bothered to try out the video and music features. Frankly, they're not the reason I was in the market for a digital frame.

For either frame, it would undoubtedly be a good idea for many purchasers to order an inexpensive 2 GB flash card at the same time and to "dedicate" it exclusively for use in the frame (try to avoid the apparent "bundled" deal, which could cost you extra in postage. Instead, enter the item in "search" and order it from Amazon Prime, which offers a nice Kingston card for about five dollars). Finally, before calling or writing the company about a missing back-rest for this frame, notice that, unlike the 7" model (which employs a separate, detachable plastic piece), this 8" model has a handier, embedded telescoping silver rod. Simply use your thumbnail to pull it out of the back of the frame and you'll find it plenty sturdy for this lightweight frame.

Just a couple of caveats: First, the generally well-equipped audiophile is unlikely to make much use (if any) of the built in speakers and MP3 player. Second, the cost to the company of these added, perhaps mostly unused, features is likely reflected in the price. In that case, better the extra features were eliminated altogether or their expense devoted to the one feature that every user would certainly find most useful of all--a rechargeable battery, enabling cordless operation. These frames are currently undergoing rapid changes on the part of all manufacturers, so expect to see more cordless models, more onboard memory with convenient computer interfacing, and lower prices in the near future. But as anyone who has acquired any consumer technology in the last ten years knows all too well, such obsolescence goes with the territory (no longer is it a wise idea to spend a thousand or more on a TV set--these are not appreciating assets--in fact, quite the contrary).

RE: NIX Customer Support: I sent an e-mail with questions related to this model as well as to other Nix frames. The response was swift, extremely detailed, entirely personal (not an automated response), and very informative and helpful. (By contrast, Logitech offered to replace an entire keyboard with a bad key providing I e-mailed proof of purchase. I was extremely impressed and pleased, since I had hoped for, at most, a single replacement key. However, despite my 3 attempts to mail them my Amazon invoice--everything from a Jpeg to PDF to screen shot--I received the automatic response: "Your requested evidence of purchase is inadequate. Use a different format." If that's a company's version of "customer service," I'd rather receive service from another company, or no service at all, rather than repeatedly feel like someone is jerking my chain.)]

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for price with room for improvement, July 8, 2010

Pros:
- Frame was delivered super fast (two days) and shipping was free.
- Setups between two frames is fairly easy when using a usb flash drive. The NIX does have a remote which helps to keep fingerprints off frame. The Kodak menu is a bit more sophisticated and pretty to look at.
- I like the built in frame stand on the NIX.
-Sound is decent when playing videos. Did not try playing music on this frame.

Cons:
-The screen quality was not as vibrant as the Kodak EasyShare. I tried adjusting the contrast and brightness but the Kodak frame was just superior straight out of box.
-The buttons on the back of frame is a bit sticky and I had to push really hard before it responded.
- USB flash drive not hidden by frame. I used a 1" flash drive and it was still visible from the front of frame.

Overall, the frame is decent for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setup For Elderly Technophobe, July 21, 2011
WilliWu (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
If you are purchasing this for someone who would be confused by a remote with 18 buttons, I found the following to work well. 1. Go to the setup mode and change three of the default options. First, it is set in a mode that does not show the complete picture. You need to change that to the mode that fits the entire picture into the frame. Sorry, but I do not have the frame in front of me to tell you exactly what the options are called, but it comes set in a mode called something like "optimum" and you change it to one that says something like fit frame. Next, change the transition mode to a simple fade. It comes set for a "show off" variety of all available transitions which I find distracting. Finally, change the slide show mode so that it plays straight through in order. Also put all of the photos in the root directory of the SD card so that they do not have to worry about folders.
After you have done this, there is only one button they need to press to start the show and turn the frame on or off - the top button on the back of the frame. I marked it with orange tape. After doing this, keep the remote and give them only the frame with SD card inserted. This worked quite well for my 90-year-old mother and she thoroughly enjoyed the frame. All of her children and grandchildren contributed pictures and our family computer geek put them on a single SD card.
The only thing of significance that this frame lacks is cordless capability; so that it must be plugged in for use. Some other frames come with built in rechargeable batteries that will run them for a couple of hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars The same photo keeps repeating itself over and over again, October 31, 2011
I bought this product as a gift for my mother and was very excited about it. I transferred 500 photos to the memory card and turned on NIX digital photo frame. First of all, the product is super slow. It takes really long time to go from one function to another. Second, when you choose in the settings the photos to be shown in sequence, the program follows its own understanding of sequence and the photos show up in a random order. The last and the most disappointing thing is that one photo gets stuck and it is shown over and over again, pretty much repeating itself after 2 or 3 photos and sometimes it repeats itself right after it comes up!! I went to NIX website and I found the same issue addressed in Q&As, which means it's a very common problem. They say all the photos must be JPEG format and all my photos are. The only thing they recommend is to delete the photo that repeats itself. After I did that, however, another photo started to repeats itself!! After numerous tries and deleting a number of repeating photos I decided it's not worth my headache and I am returning this product. I am extremely disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great digital picture frame value!, May 27, 2010
Wonderful little frame. Lot's of storage space and display options.

5 stars if it had:
- Built-in Wifi (Someday this will be the standard on all frames!)
- The ability to play music AND show slideshow (does one OR the other)

Remote control works well, but isn't well laid out.

Overall, is a great value for the price! Does the job and looks great!

BTW, seller is quick and product arrived nicely packaged and in perfect shape.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great frame with a small shortcoming, January 8, 2012
Jack (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
I've been using this frame for a week now and love it. The picture quality is excellent, the video quality is terrific, and the speakers are pretty good for something this size. I actually like the fact that it has no internal memory; personally I think that makes the frame thinner than a lot of those thick, clumsy ones out there, and all I need to do is put my photos in files on an SD card or put my camera SD card into the slot and they're ready to go. I can use whatever size SD card I wish. I have not had a problem with the random selection of images for the slide show, unlike others have mentioned. And the mat screen means no glare - no reflections, unlike a lot of others. The 4:3 image ratio is perfect because it does not crop my photos, which I usually shoot in 4:3 ratio and then sometimes crop to 8x10 or 5x7. And if I load a 5x7 or 8x10, the digital space between the photo and the frame is black instead of the gray that other frames use. So the fact that I cropped the is barely noticeable. I'm not bothered by the fact that a USB cord in not included; I've got so many of those things around that the last thing I want to do is pay for another. The movement sensor is AWESOME. Why the heck should I have to turn the thing off and on at night or when I leave the house in order to save energy? This does it for me. I suspect that makes it truly an "EnergyStar qualified" device, though they do not claim the title. And I find that the remote control works just fine. Some people have stated they think it "sticks" or has to be pressed a lot to make it work. The problem there is that the remote has to be aimed at the little glass receiver on the front of the frame. If you don't aim it there, it won't work, silly. It's infra-red, not radio controlled. The slide transition selections are great; I love the "reel" effect which is like a scroll and even shows the old photo just as it would look if it were rolled up on a scroll. Sharp!

Be SURE to order yours from AMAZON, especially if you are a PRIME member. I got mine through Sears Online before I checked Amazon, and Sears Online is AWFUL. As soon as you click the button you cannot cancel the order, the website makes you think you are getting free shipping and in-store pickup when you are absolutely not, and the customer service for Sears Online really stinks. Don't get snookered.

OK: Here's the shortcomings:

1. As some others have stated, the random slide show always starts at your first image and then gets random from there. It would be a lot better if it started from the last image displayed, in my opinion.

2. The power cord comes out of the back on the same side as the back support but on the other corner of that side. The result is that when you have the frame set up for portrait (vertical) viewing, the cord sort of sticks out obtrusively from the upper right side of the back. That means it is pretty visible if the frame is placed where the back is visible. NIX would have done better to put the power cord adjacent the back support so it would always be at the bottom and out of the way. It would also make sense for the connector to be U shaped instead of L shaped so it could be more hidden.

3. The instruction book is not very clear, so if you aren't willing to experiment with all the settings you will be confused on some things. For example, the "Photo Mode" choices are "Auto fit," "Optimal," and "Full." Now that means nothing to me, and I suspect it's pretty confusing to everybody else. Just put it on "Auto fit," and let her rip. It works fine, and I still haven't figured out what the other two settings mean.

Other than those small things, this is a GREAT frame. If it weren't for these three items, I would have given it a 5 star plus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with product, July 11, 2010
I did some research for a digital frame and chose this one based on pro and user reviews.
It works as promised.
Remote is fun but does not always pick up signal (point remote and press the button a few times) other times the remote works perfect.
I thought it was not clear about 'on board' memory. the website says it has some and so does the manual. but i was not able to load pictures onto the on board memory nor find out exactly how much it held.
I wanted this to display my new baby photos (as who could pick a few to print of our little ones esp. since they change so often). the frame works great for this - i do have to say i like that this frame takes so many types of media. i personally just switch out flash sticks when i update the slideshow with new images. i hear from other Amazon reviews that people have issues with the order of the slideshow so i just set the order in the image name and how i put the images onto the memory i leave in the frame.
also - if you use a flash drive, it will stick out of the side of the frame. the SD memory and others are on the back so they are hidden.
good display. overall i'm happy with this. i also like the 4 picture display option - this helps if you have lower res images that look bad blown up.
have not tested the audio/video features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, June 13, 2011
I bought the Nix 8" model to replace a 3 year old PanDigital 7" frame. The Nix has a MUCH brighter and crisper display and the transition effects are better. It was one of the only frames I could find in this size that did 800X600 resolution (important) and had a minimalistic design (perhaps overly so). I use a dedicated Class 4 2GB SD card to hold my pictures; 2-3 times a year, I pull it from the frame and add whatever recent pics I want. The randomization of the pictures works fine for me and I have a LOT of pictures. I do, on occasion, see it linger in directories, displaying 3-4 pictures from a similar group, but that is not a bad thing and it never stays stuck in one location for very long. I use the frame on an X-10 timer to turn it on/off at specific times and thankfully, it doesn't lose any of the settings when powered off (as I had feared it might). Must have an internally charged backup battery.

The only minor quibble I have, related to the minimalistic design, is that the frame is perhaps overly cosmetically drab; simple black on black. Thinking of buying a traditional frame for it and making a matte to surround the display to make it blend better with my living area. It would be nice if Nix made this available as an accessory. Also, the 8" screen is, IMO, a little too small even though it is larger than the 7" I had previously on the PanDigital unit. Not a fault of the Nix frame of course, but if I was to make this purchase again, I would look for a 10" frame, preferably with the same feature set (4:3 aspect) and at 1024X768 resolution (if available).

Final note -- one of the things I like about this frame is it is designed for the single purpose of displaying pictures and doesn't include all the additional "features" so many other frames do that are (usually) poorly implemented, add to the cost and appear designed for grandparents who don't know anything except where to turn it on and where to turn it off.

Overall, great little frame that performs well and only includes the features you really need, at an excellent price point.

1.0 out of 5 stars piece of junk, January 9, 2011
W. F. Marterre Jr. (Winston-Salem, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Don't waste your money on this. The documentation (user manual) is horrible, it sticks on photos, the random setting is anything but random (it keeps repeating it's same 'favorites' ignoring the others on the sd card (I loaded 1200 onto a 2GB card), and ultimately it just quits working altogether after a few days. The picture quality is great when it does work, but so what. Zero stars for reliability!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Easy to Use, December 24, 2010
Loren Larkin (New York United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very adequate digital frame with beautiful picture quality. It's straight forward to use and the remote comes with a battery installed. The menu is a little difficult to access in the back without getting fingerprints on the frame and you do have to provide your own SD card but using the frame is intuitive. It comes with a nice pull out one piece stand and a power cord. I shopped around a lot before I purchased this one and price wise it can't be beat.