5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Awesome, Amazing Picture.
First let me say I am a tech nut and have a good eye for flaws in technology products. Upon booting this up with an SD card inserted, it immediately starts playing my pictures. So even if you're an idiot, using this should not be difficult, at all.

Published 24 months ago by G.B.

2.0 out of 5 stars "ok" digital frame, but they game dumb Amazon.com customers
Cheap frame, almost all of the transition effects look like a 486 dx2 66mhz PC trying to run Crysis at 1080p.

You have to display this in landscape, horizontal has a viewing angle of "stand still and stare right at it, not even a degree off".

Published 21 months ago by Christos G

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Awesome, Amazing Picture., November 29, 2012
This review is from: NIX X08D 8 inch Hi-Res Digital Photo Frame with Motion Sensor (Electronics)

The screen is VERY high quality for a photo frame. Colors are vivid and the viewing angle is VERY good. You will notice almost no degradation in the image at any left or right angle, or from the top. The only time the image degrades is if you look at it from below - almost every photo frame I've seen does this though. Make sure the frame sits at or below whatever level people will be at when they look at it and you're fine.

Another note, when I received the frame, photos were sharp but dull. I turned the Saturation setting all the way up and now photos have perfect color (not oversaturated, the way they should look). So be aware of this if colors look a bit dull upon first use. I didn't need to change any other settings.

Of note too is that this frame does a phenomenal job of shrinking down large photos to fit the frame. It uses 'bicubic sharper' reduction so the images retain incredible sharpness when reduced in size by the frame to fit the screen.

The motion sensor works perfectly. No false alarms and no having it turn off when I'm sitting right in front of it.

Having used Sony and a host of others in the past, they aren't even close. I highly recommend this frame.

EDIT: I heard from other reviewers that NIX was asking people who buy this to rate it 5 stars on Amazon for a chance to win something. Mine did not come with this card asking for a review nor was I asked to or paid to post this review. I posted it simply because the frame is very nice.

Also some people mentioned the transitions on this frame are bad. Not that they are even really noticeable, but they seem fine to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars "ok" digital frame, but they game dumb Amazon.com customers, March 2, 2013

Oh, and the final thing, the first thing that pops out of the box, is a large printed card that says, "if you rate us 5 stars on Amazon, email us your review on Amazon.com and you may win another free picture frame!"

So, take every single review here with a grain of salt. The frame works, sort of, but all of these reviews are biased due to this cheating system they've implemented. They get 2 stars for being clever with marketing. Don't sell yourself out for a poor product, it isn't worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Very easy to use, November 6, 2012
Purchased this for my father for his birthday. Incredibly simple to use!

1. Adjust the settings(time, motion sensor, brightness, etc)

2. Fill SD card with pictures(I haven't yet used it for videos)

3. Place it somewhere with a power outlet.

That's it! You don't need to do anything else! The motion sensor is great, the frame automatically turns itself on when it senses something moving in front of it. You definitely can't go wrong with this, especially at this price!

They do include a remote to control the settings and things from a distance, though personally I don't have a need for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frame works, but looks cheapo - and reviews are a scam, June 22, 2013
So the frame works.

The issue is that it looks 'cheap'. It's made out of the kind of low-grade plastic from China you fear from a no-name brand. I thought maybe I was being too picky, but I went into an electronics store to compare and saw some models from Insignia and Sony - both were very sleek looking with a nice black sheen. Elegant. Then I came home and saw the plasticky one...it looked crap in comparison.

Why all the great reviews? Well, these guys include a huge message in a glossy printout saying that if you leave them a 5-star review, you can participate in the weekly raffle of more photo frames.

This kind of 'incentive' should be BANNED by Amazon. It's unacceptable because it's tantamount to a bribe....you're influencing customer feedback by giving them something, so it's no longer about just the product. It's about self-interest and greed for freebies on behalf of reviewers.

Human nature, perhaps, but it means you can't trust the reviews. And when you can't trust the reviews anymore because of behind the scenes 'influencing', Amazon's credibility goes out the window.

Buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problematic and Not Worth the Price, December 23, 2012
Decided to purchase this one because of all the positive customer reviews. But after receiving the product, I'm not really sure what everyone was so thrilled about. This was *supposed* to be a Christmas present for my dad. Looks like he's getting something else instead.

I should have known I'd be in for trouble when I opened the box and unpacked the frame. The front cover of the frame made a "snapping" noise when I first picked it up, as if the black border of the frame was snapping into place. The plastic feels flimsy and not well made. But of course, most people aren't going to carry frames around with them so I didn't let this bother me too much. Besides, I liked the aesthetic of the frame.

Next, I loaded up a 16GB Class 10 SDHC card with ~1200 JPGs. Each file was between 250-750kb in size. I also threw on 22 relatively low-resolution 3GP videos that I had taken using an older smartphone camera.

I noticed immediately that, when navigating through any menus that read the folder structure off the SDHC card and showed a photo, the device would hang for extended periods of time. Sometimes it would hang for so long (over 60 seconds) that I would assume the device had locked and would just restart it by pulling the plug.

So I tried just starting the slideshow. The transitions between photos were absolutely awful; aliased / jagged and jerky. For the life of me, I couldn't find a transition that simply showed the next slide like you would see in a slide show (i.e. no transition effects).

The video quality of the device was so-so. I've seen better. I've seen worse. For the price I paid for this thing, I've seen better.

Didn't even try the video playback. Of all the 3GP movies I loaded, only a few would actually even show up as "Supported" by the device. So I tried a WMV file that I created using Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7; no luck... the frame said it wasn't supported either.

Also, something odd I noticed: Some settings wouldn't stick after unplugging the device. This wasn't consistent; sometimes they stuck and sometimes they didn't. The only setting that I never saw get "reset" from unplugging the frame was the time.

Other minor gripes: Boot up time takes longer than I'd expect. The non-photo menus navigated slowly and the kickstand in the back is off-center which will cause the frame to teeter if on a slightly uneven surface. I understand the designer wanted the frame to be used in portrait or landscape mode but there are other ways to design a kick stand that would have made the device more stable. Oh, and the clock defaults to 2010. Could it be that was when this thing was designed and manufactured? Because that would explain a lot...

I didn't try the motion sensor or auto-rotate functionality.

Sending the device back to Amazon because of the device freezing but even without that problem, I wouldn't pay such a high price for such a mediocre device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected More Given the Reviews, April 29, 2013
This was not worth the price: With today's technology, the picture quality is seriously lacking, not to mention with the price, you'd expect some other perks, like a touch screen, or at the very least, an alarm clock. It is not compatible with SDHC cards as it states and if you use a thumb drive it sticks out of the side creating an eyesore. It always starts on the same picture and does not vary very much with the shuffling of pictures; same pictures over and over and it plays the same ones each time it starts. So far we have not been able to get the motion detector to work. We have to plug it in and unplug it whenever we want to use it. We put it away when company arrives because the thumb drive sticking out and the lack of quality in the picture makes it look too cheap as it does not enhance the room in any kind of way.

As for all the positive reviews:

Anyone receiving a gift of an electronic frame with pictures of their friends or family is going to really appreciate the thought and tell the gift giver that it's a wonderful gift. However, it is quite unlikely that they will say anything negative about the gift, like mentioning it's poor quality, because it would be bad manners.

I suspect other positive reviews derive from a promotion the company has... They send a card with your frame stating that if you review the product on Amazon (assuming positive), the reviewer will be entered into a contest where someone is "randomly chosen" to receive a another frame for free. Given how expensive the frames are, after spending the money, one could only hope to get another one to make it worth it. I know I thought of it. But, I doubt it is so random, and I would rather have spent too much money on a product and say so rather than write a positive review for something I do not think is quality, all with the hopes of receiving another poor quality frame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Latest version-NIX X08D 8-inch Hi-Res digital photo frame, November 22, 2012
Good value for this product and after only a few days it's proving easy to use. My only criticism is that I continue to set up "Sequence" rather than "Random" in the photo mode, but it doesn't hold, resetting itself automatically back into "Random" every time. Not a serious flaw, but it's a bit frustrating. All in all, we are enjoying the frame and have already filled it with more than 100 photos.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good photo frame with horrible remote, November 17, 2012
Photo frame quality is good but the remote is horrible. It works only within the 2 feet range and look wise very cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars I just returned mine!, May 23, 2013
The remote is only partially responsive - hit a button 2 or 3 times and you might get action - it is very cheaply made.

The delay between pictures is too great and unacceptable.

BEWARE (and this is not the manufacturer's fault) - this is just for desks - no wall mount. Beware because several of the reviews discussed wall mounting.

I had some other issues which perhaps I could have solved if I hadn't been so disappointed in the NIX.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, November 7, 2012
I purchased this frame to help my father who has parkinsons. I wanted something to help him remember things as his parkinsons has caused some forgetfulness. It has worked fabulously. I would highly recommend it. The HU Motion was a feature I was not familiar with but am now and love it. Thanks!!