5.0 out of 5 stars START with this book only if you're NEW to NLP!
Published on February 8, 2010 by Brother MOLOCH 969

2.0 out of 5 stars It had potential
Published on May 28, 2010 by Philip A. Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars START with this book only if you're NEW to NLP!, February 8, 2010
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
This is NOT a book for Intermediat or Advanced NLPers because it is geared for Beginner. I've been struggling for years with learning NLP & have run into so much jargon surrounding it that at times I gave up on it but always went back. What this book has done for me is qualify & quantify the terms & jargon that the Intermediate & Advanced practitioners babble on about like Engineers do with their jargon.

What Vaknin did was take a highly complex subject and break it down into small chunks of information without being obtuse. I really do believe too many so-called NLP trainers out there get off on using the jargon just to make themselves appear to be greater than they really are. Not here with Vaknin & this is what counts for those who are Beginners.

Ever wonder what V.A.K. stands for? It's in here. How about designing Well Formed Outcomes? Vaknin will explain how to do that in a succinct & non-jargon manner. Ever wonder what a 'Lost Performative' consists of? Like Ragu, it's in here! You get all that & a lot more for the low price of the book.

Vaknin discusses Meta-Programs, Modeling, S.W.I.S.H. pattern, Creating Anchors & Collapsing Anchors, Mirroring, Pacing, Leading, When NOT to Mirror, and so on. TONS of practical how-to info in a down to Earth, sensible bite sized amount of info per module.

Within the first 20 pages, I became an instant fan of the author. He's got the know-how & this book is a valuable resource on NLP. If you just want ONE NLP book on your bookshelf, then get THIS one as it will give you the info you need to move into the realm of an Intermediate level of knowledge.

I was so impressed with this book that I went ahead and ordered the author's follow up book, "The Big Book of NLP Techniques: 200 + Patterns & Strategies of Neuro-Linguistic Programming" which is an utter GOLDMINE of how-to patterns that you can use (but that's another review in itself!)

In all, I rate this book a total of 5 out of 5 stars for completeness, thoroughness & lack of arrogance. Yes lack of arrogance! You'll enjoy the fact that Vaknin does NOT talk down to you when you read this book & that I thank him for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the NLP Literature, December 9, 2009
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
I am a C.Ht also, and for many years I have poured over NLP literature to try and find solid, pragmatic instruction in Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Seminars and training have rarely been done in my part of the country and those that I have looked into were financially more than I wanted to spend as a beginner. Then I found Strategies of Genius, by Dilts, which was very helpful. Most everything else I ever read only seemed to give enough information to frustrate me. Schlomo Vaknin's work filled a large void.
If anyone wanted to get acquainted with NLP I would suggest NLP for Beginners and the Big Book of NLP as a starting place. Buy them together and study them. Take your time and USE the information. I sincerely believe this would give you a strong and SUBSTANTIVE foundation in NLP and prompt you to go further. Read these two books first and all the other stuff will make better sense to you. That's my humble opinion.
Thanks Schlomo! Nice work!
Doug

5.0 out of 5 stars Great content in need of a good editor., April 26, 2010
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
The content is great, but the book is seriously in need of a good editor. I'm not really sure if Mr. Vaknin is a native speaker of English or not, as many of the typos and syntactical errors could have been committed easily by a native English speaker. That being said, at times the errors can be EXTREMELY confusing. Especially if you take great care with your own speech. Granted that NLP is based heavily on the use of language, I'd usually call foul, but I don't feel it's enough to detract from the content of the book.

Otherwise, the book is an excellent source. It is clear (when not muddled by syntactical errors or typos) and easy to understand. Mr. Vaknin explains himself clearly.

2.0 out of 5 stars It had potential, May 28, 2010
Philip A. Jordan (Madison, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
This is a nice looking book. The layout is very attractive and that's probably why I bought it. I have to admit, while I studied the "Look Inside" feature, I noticed all the typos in the table of contents so I have no one to blame but myself. This book is LOADED with misspellings, the table of contents is out of sync and most egregiously, there are factual errors. As an example: on page 99 under "What are the Common Eye Accessing Cues" - which is listed as being on page 100 in the table of contents - the author explains eye accessing cues. Then, on page 100 he reviews the cues and confuses the audio and visual cues. I would suggest you avoid this book. There are better NLP books out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new NLP for beginners., April 26, 2014
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
This item is a wonderful book because i find concepts of neuro linguistic programming like submodalities, pattern language, etc and how to manage the stress and hypnosis. The concepts of NLP shows the relationship between NLP and systems, so if you understand systems concept, this book is for you.

Studiying this wondeful book is an fascinating experience since its first pages until the last ones is a healing experience for your brain and body, so i recommendate to buy this book at Amazon, because they are the best seller in the world.

Jaime Z.
April 26, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars "wat", February 1, 2013
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
Let's just say that if this book was a restaurant of comparable quality, I would think it was a drug front. Having read more than a few pages of the book, I'm not certain that its author speaks English. The presentation of ideas, the of clarity of the writing, the flow of the whole thing...it's all really just bad. Even the things he says that are good are swamped and muddled by awkward phrasings and generally unclear writing. I threw the book away. Didn't even give it away, just tossed it.

I came across another book by the same author, and it had all the same problems. Adjust your purchases accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars NLP For Beginners: Only the Essentials, December 18, 2012
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
This book is great, It answers every question I had. I will not be selling it back. This is a keeper

2.0 out of 5 stars Essential?, May 28, 2010
This review is from: NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials (Paperback)
NLP reasonably explained, sometimes a bit heavy and theoretical. By the way, should double-check spelling, really many errors ("essential" errors probably?). Did someone read that book before publishing it? Good luck

NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials
NLP For Beginners: Only The Essentials by Shlomo Vaknin (Paperback - July 25, 2009)
Used & New from: $74.98