Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 3, 2011
This N2A - 32GB microSD Card transforms the NOOK Color (NC) reader tablet into a dual-boot reader and Android 2.3 tablet. I am an iPad fan, but I also wanted to get the feel of Android, so I purchased a refurbished NC from Barnes & Noble trough the Buy.com site for about 1/3 off the price of a new NC. As an aside, the one that I received appeared brand new in every aspect. So it is possible that B&N is trying to gain market share by offering low cost purchase options without sacrificing brand status before more 7" color readers <cough!> enter the marketplace.

The Nook & Android (formerly N2A? Not sure because the product name keeps changing as they make improvements) micro-SD card arrived within two days, about a week before the NC which I guess made it across the USA by Pony Express. So, when the NC finally arrived, I could not wait to rip off all its wrappings and insert the Nook & Android dual-boot card--impatient geek that I am! The included directions are well written and must be followed to a letter, and they worked fine on the first attempt. The packaging of the micro-SD card was well-done, making use of the plastic snap-case that accompanies the micro-SD card from its manufacturer. By far, the most outstanding feature of the purchase, aside from the fact that it worked the first time and has proven to be a totally stable implementation, is the online support Forum at <...>. The users are a friendly bunch who do not throw overly geeky instructions around, but help each other with usefully understandable suggestions. Also, the N2A folks chime in with helpful answers and links to directions in PDF format. As an example, I could not get the Android Market to download any apps, and finally, as I searched the FAQs I found a link to a PDF sheet with directions for opening application settings and clearing some [cache?] items: simple, and it worked, and I was able to download from the Android Market. Also, the Amazon AppStore which worked from the start and which offers a free app every day!!! Nice going, Amazon; keep it up!

Performance: As this is my one and only Android experience, I cannot render an informed verdict, but, for me, the Android device was responsive and seemed to be as fast as the 10" Motorola Android tablet that our grandkids bought their dad for Father's Day. No quibbles in that department. And, I managed to get Netflix working reasonably well and also Skype instant messaging (with neither input microphone nor camera capabilities, the N2A Android tablet cannot (yet?) support audio and certainly not video-in). I re-discovered TuneIn Radio app (which I had forgotten was already loaded on my iPhone and iPad) and found that it played stations from all over the globe flawlessly on the N2A Android tablet--and even better through an external speaker that I plugged into the headphone jack.

The other day, the links on the N2Acards home page to the Android 2.3.4 User's Guide and the Complete Android Guide didn't work. Today they worked. Glad for that. After having learned a lot the hard way, I now have some official guides for reference. Go to these sites if you are an Android newbie.

One more thought: I always purchase the greatest amount of memory that I can afford for computer devices, because even if I don't use all that much of the capacity at first, I usually manage to "grow into it" after a while. So, that's why I ordered the full 32GB version. Your needs might vary, however. And, as the developers point out, you can buy a micro-SD card and follow free online directions and downloads for creating your own Nook-to-Android cards yourself. Thus, you are paying in large measure for the work that the N2A folks did to save you the trouble--you are repaying them for their blood, sweat, and tears (and, having applied hacks to other devices myself, I'm sure that they shed plenty of each!).

Bottom line: This is a great product which does what it claims to do, and does it very well. It makes it pretty easy to turn an already great e-book reader into a nicely performing and relatively inexpensive Android tablet: my total cost for the NC plus the N2A - 32GB microSD Card came to about $260.

Edit to my original posting ( Wednesday; September 7, 2011 ):

In a nutshell, I ravaged my Android card, and I don't really know why, but I **suspect** that it was because continuously incoming mail filled up and choked the 1GB applications partition on the 32GB N2A card.

The wonderful folks at N2Acards have sent me a replacement card by express mail. So, I will have to start all over again. But, I learned in the process. What had happened was that media apps like TuneIn Radio and Netflix wouldn't work for me. And, then I figured that it was because I had moved them from "Phone" (which happens to correspond to a 1GB partition on our N2A cards) to "SD card" (which is a partition that will hold all data until the card fills up). So, not understanding the partitioning scheme and its limitations at the time, I moved EVERYTHING back from "SD Card" to "Phone," and, of course the media apps worked. "How smart I am," I thought. WRONG! All of a sudden, a few days later, I was showing my Android tablet to my teenage granddaughters, and all Hell broke loose. One after another app started to quit with "Sorry such-and-such application quit unexpectedly" error messages. I did all sorts of things like re-booting, removing the N2A card and booting into NOOK natively, then re-inserting the card, booting into Recovery (which apparently cleared several caches and gave me temporary relief from the cascading quitting of apps), but things kept getting worse and worse to the point that I couldn't even boot into Android in an attempt to clear the problem by moving most apps back to "SD Card." What I now suspect, but certainly cannot prove, is that the email app kept downloading new mail, and since I was not reading and deleting it, the mail piled up and choked the 1GB "Phone" partition that holds all the apps. Or, so I believe.

So, my suggestion is that you move most apps to the "SD Card" partition, except for those that must run in the "Phone" partition (you can figure that out by experimentation...and some will not be moveable from the "Phone" partition anyway). Also, if you are running an email app, either figure out how to stop it from continually downloading new messages or keep up with them and delete them as soon as read.

I had exchanged several troubleshooting messages with the support folks at N2Acards, and I can tell you that they are a wonderfully responsive and helpful crew. Hats off to them!

WHEW!
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2012
This card cost less than N2A while the reviews seemed comparable. I followed the instructions and was booted into the Android OS in less than 30 seconds. The card also installs a speed boost; one of my worries was that because (to my understanding) Nook Color cannot run the latest Android that it would be slow. That has not been the case. I have used it for several days and am completely happy with my purchase. Easy to switch to the original Nook OS, but can't think of any reason I would want to do that. I can read both Kindle and Nook books on my NC now, as well as access all the Droid Apps, Netflix, browsing, etc. Thank you Nook & Android! (And shipping was very fast as well.) Happy customer!
on December 31, 2011
Just a reminder that the N2A Cards do not currently work on the Nook Tablet. I was fortunate to also have a Nook color to use it in. It also seems to have dropped about $10-15 since just before christmas.
on September 21, 2012
I purchased one of these Nookandroid SD cards and in thirty days it would no longer boot. I contacted the seller and got no response. I filed a claim with Amazon and their reply was I should have contacted the seller within 14 days. Since the SD failed after less than a month it was past the 14 days so they could do nothing. Whatever happened to standing behind your product?
on July 21, 2012
I Bought this 32GB card, Nook to Android and man what a difference. I thought that the 8GB card improved my Nook, this makes it a new computer! I also must say, When I first got it, I did something wrong and wrecked this card, my fault completely. I E-mailed them, they text-ed back instructions which were very clear and exact and I got my 32GB card that I wrecked fixed!. The support team is the best! Hats off to them! Thanks again to the person who helped me!

If you get one of these cards you will love it! Just read the directions first!!!
on February 10, 2012
Pay attention to the disclaimer, this should not work with the Nook Tablet. They are still working on a solution for the Tablet. I purchased knowing that it would not work with the Tablet, they were right. So I formatted the SD DIsk and use it as a 32 SD card. works fine. Hope they will be able to create the Android boot for the Nook Tablet.
on January 9, 2012
This product runs a little cheaper than the N2A cards that do the same thing and is the reason that I ordered this product rather than theirs. I've had no problem using it on my refurbished Nook Color. It is as simple as popping in the card and booting up your device.

I've had no problems with the typing errors while charging like listed above by the other reviewer.

This turns your Nook Color into a completely new device and opens it up much more with the Android Market vs just using the Nook Shopping area.

Overall a good solution for those who don't want to root their devices manually.
on July 30, 2012
Fast delivery. Good instructions. Easy install. Great price. Great results. Does what they claim. Appreciate prior reviews which were helpfully. If you have a nook color and are reading reviews for help making decision, stop here and buy. You wont regret.
on August 12, 2012
The card works great. But be careful with the settings for gtalk. Once you enter the gtalk password you can't go back and change the properties. Doubt this is folks fault that created the card, since I have learned I have the same problem on my phone. I do recommend the line of products though.
on September 13, 2012
Simpliest activity I have ever encountered. Just swap card out and start up. If you already are familiar with the platform, this is too easy. Ifnot, it is an easy way to get so many more. Word of caution, no voice apps will work as there is no mic in the nook color.