Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NOW Foods Calcium Citrate Powder, 8 oz
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size: 8 oz|Change
Price:$5.49+ $2.95 shipping

on October 23, 2011
I hate taking pills of any kind. My bone density test results last fall (2010) indicated that I had entered the "osteopenia" stage of calcium levels in my body. I immediately looked for "bioavailable" calcium supplements. There are not many, unless you want to take another pill (Caltrate is a good one). I quit ordering the liquid form of Coral Calcium, although it was very easy to use, after the nuclear disaster in Japan (where the coral calcium is harvested). The powdered form of calcium citrate has been easy for me. I just mix 1-1/2 teaspoons with any liquid that I prefer, as long as I consume the drink at least 2 hours after and four hours before any other pills. Everyone probably knows by now that calcium blocks the absorption of vitamin pills and meds. My latest bone density test showed that my bone density is NORMAL again! Yay for bioavailable (immediately absorbed) calcium and this product is very reasonably priced!
44 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2012
I very recently started taking this product due to a bone density test that shows me to be at high risk for a hip fracture. Learning from a radiologist that he often sees undigested pills in stomach x-rays, I opted for the powdered form of calcium.

Because this is the first time I have taken calcium citrate, I am taking a lower-than-suggested dosage, and have had no ill effects. I take it with water and do not find it disagreeable.

What I find very interesting - though it may be coincidental - is that I am experiencing two positive side-effects:

1. I have been sleeping much better, since taking this product.

2. My irregular heart-beat/palpitations has decreased.

This is a supplement that I will continue to take, and highly recommend - though I do advise checking with your doctor before adding anything to your medication/vitamin regimen.

Note: If I have a follow-up bone density scan, I will post the results with an update to this review.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2007
I purchased four at one time and keep them in the refrigerator.
Having checked the health food/other stores, the savings is substantial
when purchasing this way.

I mix the recommended amount in my fruit drink in the morning. My
research suggested that this is the more tolerable/better type of calcium supplement. No additives!
on March 29, 2012
Prices are getting rediculous and this product, which is the brand "Now" is a very reputable company. The amount of Calcium Citrate is 1 1/2 tsp per approximately 580 mg to 600 mg. per serving. As the body can only assimilate no more than 600 mg. per serving, this is beneficial with no waste. I mix this with water and a bit of juice or with "Emergent C" and add Boron, topical Magnesium (recommended by Dr. Norm Shealy) and Vitamin K2. The savings campared to prefilled capsules is remarkable and the bioavailability more benefical for assimilation. Great product which mixes instantly in juice and makes the drink a bit more creamy and tasteful. I won't go back to pills or capsules/caplets. I've been an RN and holistic practioner for many years, so I recommend this product to patients, friend and family alike. Best on the market, but you have to add the (above) for full benefit.
on October 11, 2011
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2014
I never purchased PipingRock nor wrote a review for PipingRock vitamins. Amazon has change products by using the reviews of other product for this PipingRock item. Swanson Vitamins does not even sell PipingRock products but yet Swanson is a seller of this item on Amazon, confusing.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Calcium Citrate 100% Pure Powder without any additives. Calcium comes in many forms but most research has been done on calcium carbonate which does not absorb well and it is in a much more concentrate form than calcium citrate. Calcium Carbonate is better if consumed with food unlike citrate which can be consumed without food. Citrate is easier to absorb but since it is not as concentrate it cost more. Put the calcium supplement into a glass of clear vinegar. This creates an acidic environment much like that of your stomach. Stir the solution occasionally. If the calcium supplement disintegrates within 30 minutes, it should dissolve in your stomach, too. If the calcium supplement does not completely dissolve, then forget it.
on May 3, 2012
This is another pure and high quality product from Now Foods. At first I took the recommended dosage of 1.5 tsp per day, and I took it before bedtime. I did so for three days and woke up with a headache every morning. The calcium was the only thing new in my life so I did not take any the fourth night and next morning no headache. So that afternoon I took one half tsp and did fine, no headache. Next afternoon I increased and took one tsp and developed a very mild headache. So I've decided that, for me, one half tsp is best. I Googled calcium citrate and did find a couple of incidents where individuals reported headache from calcium citrate but nothing more than that so it seems not to be a widely known issue.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2012
This stuff is fine for the money but I have realized I'd rather get my calcium from the eggshells of the eggs I am already using. Why pay more money for a supplement when you're probably throwing out calcium every day?

One whole medium sized eggshell makes about one teaspoon of powder, which yields about 750 - 800 mgs of elemental calcium plus other microelements, i.e. magnesium, boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, sulphur, silicon, zinc, etc. There are 27 elements in total. The composition of an eggshell is very similar to that of our bones and teeth.

All you have to do is take the shells from raw eggs (rinse them first!) or boiled eggs, lay them out on a baking sheet and leave them out overnight to dry. Then grind them in a coffee grinder. I've read that they can be stored in a glass container but I just keep mine in a ziplock baggie.

Think of all the plastic bottles you won't add to the landfills by doing this! :)
99 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2014
Calcium Citrate was recommended as being helpful to close the LES and therefore could have a significantly positive impact on Reflux. I love the powder, as I can mix it with almond milk or other liquids and it has worked well for m. It came quickly, well packaged and I would use this seller again!
on September 12, 2013
I am a post RYN Bypass and I tried many different calcium citrate products, from tabs to liquid... Also tried specialty ones from celebrate and bariatric advantage and this powder is SOOOOO much better... I put it in one of my protein drinks daily and can barely tell it is there... Don't get me wrong it is a little chalky but is has no flavor... I would recommend it to anyone who needs to take calcium daily, and if your diet allows you can mask the chalkiness by adding to fresh juice from a juicer or thick shakes/smoothies, the thickness or pulp hides the texture well and keeps it from settling...
on August 12, 2014
This is working in lieu of Rx for GERD. 250mg (just over 1/2 tsp) dissolved in water after meals and before bed (for a total of 1000mg/day) has allowed me to get off omeprazole, and has worked quite well, at least for the first month of trying it.