5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gluten-free baking
Published 15 months ago by S. K. Harrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavily affects texture
I bought this guar gum, in addition to xanthan gum, for use in making smoothies thicker and creamier, where many of the ingredients were liquids and powders that otherwise combine to make a very thin smoothie.

Published 20 months ago by Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gluten-free baking, September 19, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I wish I'd known all guars are not created equal, a long time ago. I can't use xanthan gum in my recipes, and have run the gamut trying guar gum (Barry Farm), flax, pectin, gelatin... I've tried almost everything to turn out consistently good gluten-free baked goods. I couldn't figure out why no matter how meticulously I crafted the recipes, they just wouldn't turn out. Well, now I know. Don't buy any other guar than this one. The Barry Farm one not only influences the flavor of foods, it leaves a gummy (seriously) texture. I just assumed that was the deal with guar gum. Having now tried this one, I realize the other was modified in some way, or just not quality guar.

I do observe that NOW guar makes doughs more runny, but thus far, that's fine, as the final products turns out great. I might even say perfect. It's about time. I'll never buy another brand of guar gum again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavily affects texture, May 1, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)

The xanthan gum works great and just thickens, but this guar gum affects the texture too. It makes the smoothie stick together in globs kind of like jello, which is fine if you're going to eat it with a spoon out of a bowl, but it's not a good texture if you're drinking the smoothie from a glass. This also makes it a bit more difficult to pour, as it sticks together instead of smoothly pouring. Finally, the thickening effect is much less with the guar gum per teaspoon than it is with xanthan gum.

I can see some use cases where guar gum makes a lot of sense, like when you WANT things to stick and hold together (like baking), but for thick, pourable, drinkable smoothies, I'm going to stick with xanthan gum instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars guar gum, September 12, 2009
I use this product often, the price was very good and would recommend to anybody especially someone with celiac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoothie Enhancement!, April 25, 2014
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I love my smoothies so when I learned about thickeners like guar gum and xanthan gum they definitely made me curious. Finally, I decided to go for it and I bought both guar and xanthan. I read that these are best used together since although they both thicken they have slightly different characteristics. The package arrived today from Amazon, and I made my first smoothie... Amazing! Due to my prior research I used about 1/8th teaspoon each of both guar and xanthan, and it worked PERFECT. (My drink when finished is about 3.5-4 cups) I love my smoothies every day but this truly does make it better. I haven't tried guar by itself, but this combo of both gums made my smoothie amazingly smooth, creamy, and thick! It really is beyond just thickness... It becomes creamy and smooth like a milkshake. It seems to make the drink more filling/satisfying. Now I'm anxious to make more smoothies!

5.0 out of 5 stars First experience with guar gum, May 19, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
This is the first time I buy guar gum. I use it to make my chocolate drink thicker. (I make it with raw cacao powder and water, so it's pretty thin.) Works as intended, although I am still working on the dosage (it takes very little).

4.0 out of 5 stars good, February 5, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I used this to make a replica version of sweet cream from a popular ice cream shop and this got the job done for a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Corn allergy? This is great for baking, August 20, 2013
L. Sims "L. Sims" (Joliet, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I have a corn allergy; I made brownies using this guar gum and they came out great!

Used this recipe (just use guar gum instead of the xantham gum and omit chocolate chips--unless you can find corn-free):
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, December 29, 2013
michelle (BRIDGEWATER, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I like that it mixes well with warm water from the tap. I also like that I can use it in hair products I make like shampoo but can also use it in foods like gravy to thicken without calories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten free cooking, March 5, 2013
Lorraine A. Lindsey "Postie" (Tekonsha, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I ordered this to try my hand at gluten free cooking. I suspect that wheat inhibits weight loss for me and rather than give up all bread and flour treats, I'm using Guar Gum with other types of flour. So far it's working out well and I'm getting used to the difference in texture from wheat products. Most of the items are softer, more delicate. My peanut butter cookies and pizza crust have turned out well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Successful Results for Baking and Cooking!, September 19, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Guar Gum Powder, 8 Ounces (Health and Beauty)
I have used Now Foods Guar Gum for 9 months. My results have all been exactly as described for a good result: both baking bread and thickening sauces and custards (pie fillings/custards,etc.).
Brittian Tucker