Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Size: 2 OuncesPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$12.04+ Free shipping

on December 9, 2010
This is 100% PURE Lavandula Officinalis. It smells exactly the way it's supposed to. This is REAL lavender.

I see some reviewers complaining that it smells "watered-down", altered, or different from other oils they've bought. Be sure to check that you weren't buying a lavender hybrid in the past, known as Lavandula x hybrida, or LAVANDIN. It's commonly marketed and sold as real lavender, as companies can claim it is a "type of lavender". While it IS technically a TYPE of lavender, it differs from real lavender in a few ways.

Most Notably: the scent of LAVANDIN is much stronger than that of REAL lavender. It's medicinal properties vary somewhat as well. REAL lavender can be used to help heal burns, while the hybrid can actually worsen them!

LAVANDIN is used because it's easier to grow, and therefore cheaper. NOW Lavender oil is NOT the hybrid, but the real thing. I believe it is a superior product, but for those of you that prefer the stronger smell, look for Lavandula Hybrida, or "Lavandin" instead. If a bottle doesn't list which "breed" it is, you can't be certain which type it is. Maybe you could call whichever company that is selling it and find out? I would hope they would tell you, at least! NOW, however, actually lists the name on the bottle as being Lavandula Officinalis, or "official lavender". It can also be called Lavandula angustifolia, Lavandula vera, among other names. There are dozens of different species of Lavender, so you may come across other names as well. The way to tell the difference between real and hybrid is this: if there is an "x" between genus and species names (Lavandula x intermedia) then it's a hybrid, and should smell stronger. Hope that helps. :D
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2013
I'm not a purist and I don't have the olfactory to pick apart it's fragrance so I'll break it down like this. It is an oil. It smells like lavender to me. A little dab on a cloth near the fan at night and it fills the room with aroma as we drift off to sleep. A little goes a long way. I'm happy with it. My wife is happy with it. /the end
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2009
Good quality.

If you mix a few drops of this with olive oil, it's a great anti-wrinkle face oil.
on March 15, 2012
We use this on felted woollen balls in the dryer instead of dryer sheets - a few drops to leave the laundry smelling wonderful, especially good for bedding and towels. One bottle lasts us about a year so good value!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2014
My big mistake. It was not worth the lower price.
I detected a irritating smell from synthetic chemicals.
Instead of having healing properties, it causes an allergic reaction to my body.

I found a few negative reviews with the same judgment as mine.
"The smell is very artificial, overpowering"
"The scent of this oil is a bit strong and not that pure as other lavenders oils"
"I felt nausea after smelling it."

So I did some research and found shocking facts - Dark side of the industry.

These are from a online article:
It can be labeled 100% pure and only requires 5% pure essential oil in it (the rest can be synthetic).
So this labeling gives no indication of quality.

True lavender oil (Lavandula angustifolia) is expensive and difficult to find.
Most of the lavender oil sold in America today is actually the hybrid, Lavandin, grown and distilled in China, Russia, France and Tasmania.
It is shipped to France and cut with synthetic linolyl acetate to improve the fragrance.
Then propylene glycol, DEP or DOP (odorless solvents) are added and it is labeled as <Lavandula officinalis>.
Many times it also goes through heat processing to burn off the camphor the hybrid contains and then thinned with more linolyl acetate to appear as lavender.
These bottles line the shelves of health food stores, herb shops and department stores, selling for $5.00 to $7.00 per half ounce.
Unfortunately, most consumers don't know the difference."

I found a very interesting site that showing 3rd party test results.
That is invaluable info we consumer want.
<Learning about EOs.***>
*Google "3rd party essential oil test" and the site should come out on the top.
Please scroll down to NOW Foods and see how the company respond.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2008
I use this product all the time and it is good for many uses, but was surprised that the larger bottle does not come with a dropper. This is why I didn't give it a five star. Pouring it directly from the bottle can cause a lot of waste from pouring too much and spilling it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2014
Ok, unless you're going to buy a gallon of lavender oil at a time, this 4 oz. bottle of lavender oil by NOW is the best deal you can get for 100% *high quality* oil. There are cheaper oils, but I've tried almost all of them, including at least a dozen from eBay, and none of them have this combination of quality and price. I'm a massage therapist, so I'm picky about oils and I know what I'm talking about, as I've been buying/comparing oils constantly for the last 15 years or so. This is the best lavender you're going to find unless you move up to DoTerra or Young Living, which are barely perceptively better but cost many, many times as much.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2014
This is a good lavender, sold in one, two and four ounce bottles. The 2oz is sold for half so unless you use it daily, you may want to purchase the smaller container for guaranteed freshness. Lavender has many uses;

1. Mosquito Repellent - Add 10-12 drops of essence of lavender oil to an 8oz spritzer bottle filled with water, and spray.

2. Perfume - Dab a drop of lavender oil behind each ear, on the inside of each wrist and on the nape of your neck. You don't want the scent to be overpowering, just present enough to smell special.

3. Bath Oil - Add several drops of lavender oil to a warm bath. Soak, and relax. I like to add the oil right under the running water to diffuse the scent a bit more. If you don't have oil at hand, you'll easily be able to find lavender-infused soap.

4. Laundry Freshener - Put a few drops of lavender oil on a towel and then toss the towel in with other laundry to dry. What a natural way to skip dryer sheets.

5. Reduce Swelling and Sore Muscles - Add lavender oil to ointment you use to relieve aches and pains. Some moms I know dab a little lavender oil on swollen lips.

6. Deodorant - My favorite deodorants are baking soda-based, then infused with lavender oil.
on January 7, 2008
I put a few drops in my kids' bath each night and the whole house smells wonderful. Sometimes I also put a drop on a tissue and carry it in my pocket.
Love the smell of lavender and love to have it with me.
on February 28, 2008
I use this to refresh my potpourri. Good, lasting scent. A drop on a tissue placed underneath your pillowcase, helps in lulling me to sleep!