5.0 out of 5 stars Great-smelling all natural summer insect repellent
Published on July 4, 2012 by Jancal

1.0 out of 5 stars This Stuff Is Orange Oil with Wax
Don't get it. I buy alot of oils. I buy real essential oils, as well as the cheaper fragrances. This oil is cut real bad with some kind of waxy substance, and who knows what. If you warm this oil to use as aromatherapy and make the house smell nice, it will do that for a short while, then after the initial scent breaks down, you end up with a rotten orange smell. The...
Published 12 months ago by Robspace1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great-smelling all natural summer insect repellent, July 4, 2012
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
NOW Foods makes terrific natural oil products, and I have two that I particularly count on: the peppermint oil, which is great for repelling mice and spiders in winter, and this sweet orange oil, which is super for repelling all manner of summer bugs including mosquitoes, bees, ants etc. My method of application is to pour some of the orange oil onto a cotton ball or paper towel, and then rub liberally on the entrance door bottom baffle, up the sides of the entrance door, and and on bottom of window frames, and if you have any in-house bugs, to rub it around the bottom wall borders where you have seen the bugs. A second method of application is to pour the bottle's contents into a small spray bottle (the type you find in a store's dollar aisle) and spray it on instead of rubbing, using a paper towel to wipe any drip lines. This oil acts as a barrier to discourage bugs from entering your home, as they absolutely hate the smell of orange oil. There is a faint orange smell that dissipates after an hour or so, and just remember to reapply after a rain for the outdoor applications. A pleasant all natural bug repellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this for skin! Shrinks your pores :), August 16, 2013
I love this stuff. Absolutely love it. 5 stars are not enough, I'd give it much more if I could. :-) So far I have used it to make Thieves Oil (an anti-bacterial & anti-viral scent & medicinal oil blend - I use it in place of the cinnamon oil in the recipe since cinnamon is so expensive and it comes out great) and I've used it to help scent homemade body oils (diluted in a carrier oil). I find it smells great mixed with several other essential oils (clove and orange smell really good to me :)) and I love the scent by itself as well.

But my absolute FAVORITE thing about this oil is that it is making my pores shrink and my blackheads disappear. I just mix about 13 drops of the orange oil with about an ounce of carrier oil (I use extra virgin olive oil) in a small bottle, shake, and then apply a layer of it every night before I go to sleep. I started this about a week ago -and I don't know what it is in the orange oil that's doing this to my skin- but my skin is looking awesome with it. It also seems to help cut down on inflammation as well and keeps my face from looking 'puffy.' (Which, I found out that orange oil is also anti-inflammatory so it makes sense).

This Orange Oil is quickly becoming one of my favorites in my essential oil arsenal! I have bought a lot of products over the years claiming to shrink my pores and get rid of my blackheads and NONE of them have worked on me (not even a little bit). Wish I had known about this stuff back then. It would have saved me a lot of time, money, and wasted effort. I should've known that God had already created something perfect for my skin. :-)

UPDATE/EDIT: (11/30/13) Because I have had such success with this orange oil I have (slowly) switched all my face products to orange related products. While I've loved some orange products I've tried and not really loved others, I absolutely HAVE to recommend Burt's Bees Orange Essence facial cleanser. It's absolutely wonderful! And it has not broken out my sensitive skin at all and actually seems to be working in conjunction with my nighttime routine of using this orange oil (the mixture I make with it) each night to further the skin benefits. I also use Now's Rose Hip Seed Oil around my eyes (straight, not diluted; some say to dilute, others say you don't have to, but I personally have been able to use it straight just fine) and occasionally I put on a bit of vitamin e oil on top of my orange oil mixture. And once a week I use Burt's Bees Orange scrub (it comes in a little jar and it's a "dry" scrub -you scoop a little bit out and add a bit of water to it to make it into a scrub) and I'm telling you the truth -my pores have NEVER looked better and I wake up each morning with the best skin I've ever had in my life. (UPDATE: the Burt's Bees reference ONLY applies to the old Burt's Bees Orange Essence cleanser formula. I've heard they've sold out/been bought out by Clorox and for some reason they changed the formula (adding in some non natural ingredients) and the new formula makes my face get reddish and does NOT help in minimizing pores whatsoever. :( SO, sad to say, but I don't recommend it anymore unless you can find it in the old yellow bottle with the old formula, which a lot of stores, like Walgreens, still have. The new formula in the new white bottle doesn't work as well, sadly. End update).

Maybe it's all the vitamin C or maybe it's just all the pure orange, but I am NOT stopping what I'm doing anytime soon. Honestly, at one point a while back (before I learned about natural face and bodycare vs. conventional chemical filled & then decided to go natural) I was using Estee Lauder's Perfectionist CP+ serum -which, out of all the Estee Lauder products I personally tried was their very, VERY best. It made my skin look A-MAZING and I mean, IMMEDIATLEY amazing. As soon as you apply it your skin immediately looks awesome. HOWEVER, I found that when I would run out for a few days or longer my skin not only immediately reverted to its former state, but it also seemed to look WORSE than it had before. And I knew that it could have just been the drastic difference between using that product and then suddenly not and my skin looking "normal" again, but I honestly believed (and still do) that that product was NOT helping my actual skin at all and made it look worse in the long run. I believe those companies formulate their products specifically so that you HAVE to keep using them for the benefits their products give your skin. At one point I was using Estee Lauder's Night Repair formula for eyes, Night Repair formula (general; used all over my face) and Perfectionist CP+ serum under my makeup in the morning in addition to some other little things I tried here and there. I was spending about $100 a month to maintain this. I ended up stopping both because I did NOT want to keep spending that much money AND because I felt that in the long run the products weren't actually correcting or healing or even preventing ANYTHING with my skin. I remember the tipping point was when I was on vacation and didn't have my Estee Lauder products with me and my skin literally began to look terrible. And I mean truly, absolutely terrible. I was just done after that. I feel like the products were just somehow artificially plumping my skin cells and artificially filling in the small fine lines (not that I had/have many, this was when I was 24 and I am now 27). The effect wasn't real -it wasn't actually my real skin that looked good and my skin wasn't improving over time but looking much, much worse.

And so fast forward to now, and I can't promise that this will be the same for everybody as this is of course my own personal experience, but with using this orange oil, the rose hip seed oil, and the burt's bees orange cleansing products, I seriously wake up every morning and my NATURAL skin looks as if I've just slathered it in Estee Lauder's Perfectionist CP+. It REALLY looks that good and my skin cells REALLY are that plump and healthy and the effect is not artificial and all the goodness will not just go away within a day of not using these products. It is quite amazing to me. But my pores are tight and small and the skin around my eyes looks bright and my skin just looks really, really good. It's hard to describe, but comparing my skin now to how the Perfectionist serum (artificially) made my skin look when I used it is really the only way I can describe how great the orange oil and products are making my skin look. The Burt's Bees Orange scrub I really could take or leave. I like it, but I don't believe it's really doing anything special for my skin. But the Orange Oil I KNOW is what's shrinking my pores and I believe that it combined with the Rose Hip Seed Oil I use on my eyes every night is what's making my skin look so great. I can't lie though, I will NEVER be without the Burt's Bees Orange Essence facial cleanser though and I hope they never change the formula ever (and if they do I will be the one buying out everywhere I can find it and stocking up). It seems to only be enhancing the benefits I'm getting from the orange oil. I seriously can't believe how great this has been for my skin and just had to add this update. The Orange Essence cleanser combined with this oil is the MOST amazing thing I've ever done for my pores and my skin in general. I cannot recommend enough both the cleanser and using Rose Hip Seed Oil (Now foods brand is what I use for this as well).

End update. :-)

Something I am going to watch out for though is if the FDA approves the new Genetically Mutated orange (watch out for this in your orange juice too). They are taking frog DNA and splicing it with Orange DNA to make a new 'GMO orange.' GMO stands for genetically modified organism -something that has had its DNA and genes messed with -an organism that is not natural. Just google what are GMOs or youtube it if you don't know what it is. Other countries ban them and make them illegal because scientists are saying they cause cancer among other bad things. (Here in America we don't even get a label telling us if something is genetically modified! Grrrrrr! Even communist China gets to have labeling and we here in the 'land of the free and the home of the brave' do not??). Okay, I'll get off my soapbox, but seriously, I try my best not to eat anything that contains genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and eat a lot of USDA certified Organic (by law, certified organic food cannot contain GMOs)... so I definitely don't want GMOs in my beauty products either!

If the FDA does allow the mutant Frog-Oranges (that look just like oranges but have frog DNA, so gross...) to come on the market I'm going to be watching NOW Foods very closely to see if they let us know if the oranges used to make their orange oil are USDA certified Organic or at least assure us that they are non-GMO.

If they don't, however, making your own orange essential oil isn't that hard. I've made my own lemon essential oil a lot of times so I know I could do it with oranges as well. For anyone who wants to know how to make their own:

(If the frog-oranges come out on the market you need to start with USDA certified organic Oranges --and anyone who thinks this sounds too crazy to be true, I agree with you! Just google it and find out for yourself, it's totally real and happening right now. Our laws have not caught up with our science...).

(1) Take 4 or 5 organic oranges, wash and dry thoroughly, and then use a zester or grater to grate the zest on the outside of the oranges down to the white rind part. Make sure you do this over a clean plate or bowl.

(2) Spoon out all the zest into a small glass jar or bowl and pour olive oil over the zest. You can also use grapeseed oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, or another carrier oil. You don't want to use too much carrier oil or your orange essential oil won't be strong enough. I'd recommend pouring to just cover the zest or just a little bit over the zest.

(3) Then cover your bowl with plastic wrap or top your glass jar with its lid. just make sure it's air tight. Place on a sunny windowsill (or other place that gets good sun) and leave it alone for 5 days. If you have used a jar you can shake it at least once everyday to redistribute everything and 'help it along' or if you've used a bowl just kind of carefully swish it once a day.

(4) After five days you're going to need some cheesecloth (it's not expensive and most grocery stores sell them). You're going to use the cheesecloth to strain your oil. I like to double or triple up my cheesecloth, place it over a large bowl, and strain out the oil that way. You may have to strain it twice. Just make sure to get all the orange zest particles out -the good stuff is now in the actual oil.

(5) Funnel or pour your new orange oil into a small dark glass container if you have one. If you don't you can just use any glass jar. Don't use plastic though because concentrated essential oils and plastics don't do well together.

And that's how you can make your own. :)

I am generally lazy when it comes to this and right now am just using the NOW Foods oil (with great results) :-) but if the genetically engineered frog DNA orange gets FDA approval (which, it has a good chance, even without human testing because all the top FDA executives used to work for the companies who make the GMOs... Grrrr. Sounds too crazy to be real I know, but it most definitely is...) I definitely WILL be making my own unless NOW Foods assures me that they are using USDA certified Organic or assures me that the oranges they use in their oil are non-GMO.

I will find out either way and update here... People deserve to know if genetically modified organisms are in their food or their beauty products in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orange oil, June 18, 2012
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. I'm very satisfied with the purchase. The dropper was never an issue. I used a straw, dipped one end in the oil, seal the other end with my finger and VOILA! an instant dropper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality & value, July 28, 2010
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
I use this oil in my diffuser as an air freshner. It has a very good scent that smells like natural orange (not like a chemical or a synthetic). It lasts a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, May 11, 2010
Helen Sisco (Washingtonville, NY) - See all my reviews
This stuff is great! It smells delightful and the mice do not like the smell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it to kill ants, October 3, 2011
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
I was recommended the following recipe to get rid of annoying ants: 1 part of orange oil, 20 parts of water, and then spray generously into every crevice and corner that you see the ants crawl into or out of. It worked for me, no more ant problems since I did just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great aroma, February 2, 2009
I use this in my homemade body oil. The aroma is lasting and the 4 oz goes a long way because you only need a touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe pest control, February 9, 2013
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
Mix this with water and spray around baseboards and doorways and windows. No need to expose yourself and family to xenoestrogen and other toxic crap. Smells fabulous too....reminds me of Disneyworld.

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet and clean smell, February 13, 2012
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
purchased this 4 oz bottle for next to nothing, have some sticks in the bottle with the lid off for over 2 months now and more than 3/4 of a bottle left. drop or 2 on a light bulb and all you smell is orange. someone shows up unexpected after 420 and they would never know. every now and then i put the lid on and shake it up. great price and great aroma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells like a fresh cut orange!, February 28, 2012
This review is from: NOW Foods Orange Oil Sweet, 4 ounce (Health and Beauty)
I bought this for my scentsy plug in unit. Goodness it smells great.
I put a drop in the warmer with a little water and it smells exactly like I just peeled a fragrant orange.
Awesome!