Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Size: 240 (Pack of 1)|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon July 30, 2013
*****
Here is a side-by-side comparison of ten leading Vitamin D3 supplements: Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.), Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count), Now Foods Vitamin D3, Life Extension Vitamin D3, Nature Made Vitamin D3 5000 I.U., Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3, Thorne Research D-5,000, Schiff Mega D3, Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3, and Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.).

The major biologic function of vitamin D is to maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones. It is used, alone or in combination with calcium, to increase bone mineral density and decrease fractures. Recently, research also suggests that vitamin D may provide protection from osteoporosis, hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer, and several autoimmune diseases.

Sun exposure is an easy, reliable way for most people to get vitamin D. Exposure of the hands, face, arms, and legs to sunlight two to three times a week for about one-fourth of the time it would take to develop a mild sunburn will cause the skin to produce enough vitamin D. The necessary exposure time varies with age, skin type, season, time of day, etc.

People who don't get enough sun, especially people living in Canada and the northern half of the US, are especially at risk. Vitamin D deficiency also occurs even in sunny climates, possibly because people are staying indoors more, covering up when outside, or using sunscreens consistently these days to reduce skin cancer risk.

Older people are also at risk for vitamin D deficiency. They are less likely to spend time in the sun, have fewer "receptors" in their skin that convert sunlight to vitamin D, may not get vitamin D in their diet, may have trouble absorbing vitamin D even if they do get it in their diet, and may have more trouble converting dietary vitamin D to a useful form due to aging kidneys. In fact, the risk for vitamin D deficiency in people over 65 years of age is very high. Surprisingly, as many as 40% of older people even in sunny climates such as South Florida don't have enough vitamin D in their systems.

All of these factors point to the value of taking a daily vitamin D supplement to ensure optimal vitamin D intake.

However, unless it is properly directed, calcium can block arteries instead of going into your bones. This happens when calcium builds up in the blood vessels. Calcium also attaches to plaque. This can cause hardening of the arteries, heart attacks and strokes. Vitamin K2 helps calcium to go to the right places. Vitamin K2 directs calcium to go into your bones and teeth instead of your arteries. Therefore, those taking Vitamin D3 may also wish to consider taking a good Vitamin K2 supplement such as Innovix Labs Full Spectrum Vitamin K2.

BREAKDOWN: Below is a breakdown of these supplements.

Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.) (See, Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (in Organic Olive Oil), 5000 IU, 360 softgels)
Not Certified Kosher or Halal
$63.99 for 360 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.18 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 476-3542
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), non-gmo organic olive oil, softgel capsule (bovine gelatin, non-gmo vegetable glycerin, and purified water)

Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count) (See, Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu Soft-gels, 360-Count)
$8.07 for 360 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.02 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 333-6977
Manufactured and Encapsulated in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), extra virgin olive oil, softgel capsule (gelatin, glycerin, and purified water)

Now Foods Vitamin D3 (See, NOW Foods Vitamin D3 5000 Iu, 240 Softgels,)
$11.38 for 240 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.05 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (888) 669-3663
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), olive oil and softgel capsule (gelatin, glycerin, water)

Life Extension Vitamin D3 (See, Life Extension Vitamin D3, 5000 IU, 60 Softgels)
$7.84 for 60 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.13 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (888) 669-3663
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), safflower oil, gelatin, glycerin, and purified water

Nature Made Vitamin D3 5000 I.U. (See, Nature Made Vitamin D-3, 5000IU, 90 Softgels)
$7.34 for 90 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.08 (using Amazon's price)
Contains GMOs
Phone Number: (800) 276-2878
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), gelatin, soybean oil, glycerin, water, and corn oil

Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3 (See, Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3-5000 IU, 300 Softgels)
$16.19 for 300 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.05 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 433-2990
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), soybean oil, gelatin, vegetable glycerin, and corn oil

Thorne Research D-5,000 (See, THORNE RESEARCH - Vitamin D-5,000 - 60ct [Health and Beauty])
$13.95 for 60 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one to three capsules
Price per gel cap: $.23 (using Amazon's price)
Vegetarian
Phone Number: (800) 228-1966
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3, microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, leucine, silicon dioxide, and vitamin E (mixed tocopherols)

Schiff Mega D3 (See, Schiff Mega D3 - Vitamin D3 5000 IU with Resveratrol and Red Wine Extract - 300 Softgels)
$ N/A for 300 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $ N/A (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 526-6251
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), red wine extract, resveratrol, soybean oil, gelatin, glycerin, yellow beeswax, water, soy lecithin, red 40, titanium dioxide, caramel color, blue 1, and sulphur dioxide

Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 (See, Nordic Naturals - Vitamin D-3, 1000 IU - 240 softgels)
$ N/A for 240 1000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $ N/A (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 662-2544
Encapsulated in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), extra virgin olive oil, soft gel capsule (gelatin, glycerin, purified water, natural orange flavor), d-alpha tocopherol, and rosemary extract (a natural preservative)

Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.) (See, Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (in Organic Olive Oil), 2000 IU, 360 softgels)
$20.74 for 360 5000 I.U. gel caps on Amazon
Recommended Serving: one gel cap
Price per gel cap: $.06 (using Amazon's price)
Phone Number: (800) 476-3542
Manufactured in the U.S.A.
Ingredients: Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol), organic olive oil, softgel capsule (bovine gelatin, non-gmo vegetable glycerin, and purified water)

POTENCY: All of these supplements contain 5000 I.U. of Vitamin D3 per gel cap except Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3, which contains 1000 I.U. of Vitamin D3. Schiff Mega D3 also contains red wine extract and resveratrol.

PRICE: Thorne Research D-5,000 ($.23 per gel cap) is the most expensive per pill of those in the comparison; followed by Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.) ($.18 per gel cap); followed by Life Extension Vitamin D3 ($.13 per gel cap); followed by Nature Made Vitamin D3 5000 I.U. ($.08 per gel cap); followed by Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.) ($.06 per gel cap); followed by Now Foods Vitamin D3 ($.05 per gel cap) and Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3 ($.05 per gel cap); and followed by Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count) ($.02 per gel cap), which is the least expensive per pill of those in the comparison.

However, Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 is only a 1000 I.U. gel cap and is expensive given that amount of Vitamin D3, although it is presently unavailable.

SOY CONTENT: Schiff Mega D3, Nature Made Vitamin D-3 5000 I.U., and Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3 contain soy. Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.), Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count), Now Foods Vitamin D3, Life Extension Vitamin D3, Thorne Research D-5,000, Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3, and Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.) do not contain soy.

GMO CONTENT: Only Nature Made Vitamin D3 5000 I.U. contains GMOs.

CHOLESTEROL CONTENT: Now Foods Vitamin D3, Life Extension Vitamin D3, Nature Made Vitamin D3 5000 I.U., Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3, Schiff Mega D3, Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 contain cholesterol. Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.), Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count), Thorne Research D-5,000, and Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.) do not contain cholesterol.

RESVERATROL AND RED WINE EXTRACT: According to Schiff, there are many anti-aging benefits of red wine and resveratrol. They supposedly combine to support vitality by boosting immune health and promoting cardiovascular health. Schiff claims that each Schiff Mega D3 softgel provides the same amount of resveratrol found in several glasses of red wine.

STEARATES: None of these supplements contain stearates.

VEGETARIAN: Only one of these Vitamin D3 supplements is vegetarian, and that is Thorne Research D-5,000.

SCHIFF EVASIVENESS: It was very difficult to obtain product information from Schiff with respect to Schiff Mega D3. This is usually enough to deter me from buying the product, regardless of how good it might be.

MEALS: Vitamin D3 supplements are best taken with a meal containing some fat, as they are more efficiently absorbed when taken with food.

OPINION: All of these Vitamin D3 supplements are good. Thorne Research D-5,000, Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.), and Life Extension Vitamin D3 are the most expensive ... in fact, too expensive, in my opinion. Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count) and Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.) do not contain soy, GMOs, cholesterol, or stearates, so, if those ingredients are an issue, they would be my choice.

RATING:

I rated Doctor's Best Vitamin D3 5000iu (360 Count), Life Extension Vitamin D3, Now Foods Vitamin D3, and Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (2000 I.U.) five stars.

I rated Nature's Bounty Vitamin D3 four stars because it contains soy and cholesterol.

I rated Thorne Research D-5,000 four stars because it is extremely expensive and over-priced.

I rated Schiff Mega D3 four stars because it contains soy and cholesterol, and the company lacks transparency.

I rated Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 four stars because it is only 1000 I.U. and it is expensive and over-priced, particularly given that small amount of Vitamin D3.

I rated Nature Made Vitamin D3 5000 I.U. two stars because it contains soy, GMOs, and cholesterol.

I rated Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold (5000 I.U.) one star because it is extremely expensive and over-priced. This product is not sold by Nutrigold, but by an unauthorized third party who is charging an exorbitant price.

I have separately reviewed all of these products.

Prices current as of 05/26/2016.
7272 comments|389 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2010
I am a dentist and began taking D-3 after testing deficient. I soon noticed that my gums stopped bleeding when flossing and so I now provide a Calcium/D-3 combination to my patients; then I noticed my high blood pressure dropped and I actually passed out from low blood pressure! I was taking two blood pressure medications and have cut back to one. I dropped 10 pounds in two months and have now dropped another 5 pounds. Every time I notice a beneficial change in my body, I go online and find that, yes, D-3 can cause that. My wife's leg pains are caused by D-3 deficiency according to her cardiologist. It is recognized as a prevention measure for several cancers. I took 10,000 each day until my level hit 70, then cut back to 5,000. I could also say that my mental health has improved tremendously. All of the good things you associate with being out in the sun happen when you take D-3.
55 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2010
When visiting my doctor and describing my symptoms of lacking energy, lack of joy, some depression and several other factors, he said that I should consider taking 5,000mg of Vitamin D3 per day. I found it interesting that he said that many of the doctors in his building are taking it since finding that after about 2 months their energy and mood levels are significantly improved. Since I am always interested in what Doctors take themselves, I decided to study why this was true, so when at Bar and Nob, I found the Vitamin D Cure by James E Dowd, MD. ($14.95 or on line e-book for free [if you know where to look])and was very impressed. Nearly all my symptoms were noted in the V D3 deficiency list. As a matter of fact, both my teens and my wife have symptoms of V D3 deficiency as well! When telling my wife about my exciting "find", she said that her doctor had prescribed it for her two months earlier (5,000mg/day.) Needless to say, NOW Brand of Vitamin D3 is the best value that I was able to find! It is pretty inexpensive for an 8 month supply (under $15 including shipping.) I would highly recommend reading the Vitamin D Cure and NOW Brand Vitamin D3 gel caps. Some Vitamin D deficiency symptoms from pg 10: fatigue, joint pain/or swelling, muscle pain pain, cramping, and/or weakness (leg cramps?), chronic pain, uncontrolled weight gain, high BP, restless sleep, poor concentration and memory, headaches, bowel and bladder problems. Unless you work outside most of the time, you are probably very deficient in Vitamin D...that is most of us!...the book says! Be well! NOW Foods Vitamin D3 5000 Iu, 240-Softgels,
2525 comments|344 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2009
I am so glad to find this strength available on Amazon so affordable. These little tiny perles are so easy to take it's a pleasure. My doctor told me that for high immunity he would recommend maintaining a blood level of 75-80 ng/mL. After a month on 5000 a day (one perle) he checked my level and it was only 35. He's having me take 2 a day, 10,000 units, for 3 months and will check again. The correct test is called "25 Hydroxyvitamin D".

There's a lot of interesting information on this topic at[...], and they sell a home test.
1313 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2010
As a hospital pharmacist and editor for a newsletter for hospitals around the country, I am well aware of the activity of vitamin D-3 (cholecalciferol). It's more potent then vitamin D-2 (ergocalciferol) and I personally like the gel caps. Vitamin D affects about 200 genes in the body and there are vitamin D receptors located in the heart. They're not there for nothing. High-dose vitamin D therapy can be used for a number of conditions that are too numerous to mention. 5,000 units/day taken by the average weight perons should result in a serum level of about 40-45ng/ml 25-hydroxy-D. Higher doses may be needed for some individuals to bring them into the 50-60ng/ml range. See http:[...] for more information.
0Comment|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2010
After out naturepath suggested this product, our entire family is taking one a day. Our previously trashed immune systems have finally gotten the break they deserve. We have all been sooo healthy; without colds, or flu, or anything else. It has been the single most beneficial supplement we have ever taken. Our family loves it.
on April 30, 2012
New test results came in for the Vitamin D3 25-hydroxy levels. I was taking 40,000 IU of another brand in order to get my level to the optimal level (around 85 ng/mL), but even at 40,000 IU I was still too low (43 ng/mL). But with this brand of D3, I only have to take 15,000 IU to get to the optimal level.

I did all of this under doctor supervision. My doctor also highly recommend to take Vit K with the Vit D3 pills. Hypercalcemia (calcium toxicity) has been shown to arise from Vit K deficiency, and Vit D3 causes your body to metabolise Vit K like crazy. So unless you want hardened arteries and a bunch of other possibly deadly side-effects, you need to take Vit K! Better yet, go see a doctor that knows about the recent studies (published around 2010, 2 years ago) on Vitamins D3 and K, and get your levels up with medical supervision, like I did.

REASON FOR MY SUPPLEMENTATION:
I developed late onset asthma, mainly during exercise and during seasonal allergies. I went to several specialists to see if this could be corrected. All I got were inhalers from these doctors. Then, I found a sports medicine doctor that was also into health and rejuvenation. He has been a God-send. He has helped me discover that Casein protein found in milk products (and some body-building supplements) and my low D3 levels were to blame. I no longer have asthma attacks, and haven't been sick in over a year - even when my kids and wife were sick.

To be fair, Casein was the real culprit to the asthma and seasonal allergy issues, but the benefits of Vit D3 cannot be ignored. I have found that my knees don't hurt anymore (which is damage from my years in the Army), I sleep better at night, and I have a more positive outlook. One only has to search on PUBMED (an online library of scientific experiments) to see what the amazing benefits of vitamin D3 (and K) can do.

Best of luck!
on November 21, 2012
itamin D3 deficiency is common in older adults and has been implicated in psychiatric and neurologic disorders. For example, in one study of 80 older adults (40 with mild Alzheimer’s disease and 40 nondemented persons), Vitamin D3 deficiency was associated with low mood and with impairment on two of four measures of cognitive performance.6

Back Pain

Musculoskeletal disorders have been linked to Vitamin D3 deficiency in a number of studies. One of the newest studies explored the role that low Vitamin D3 levels play in the development of chronic low back pain in women. Sixty female patients in Egypt complaining of low back pain lasting more than three months were studied. Researchers measured levels of Vitamin D3 in the women with low back pain and compared those levels to those of 20 matched healthy controls.

The study revealed that patients with low back pain had significantly lower Vitamin D3 levels than controls. Low Vitamin D3 levels (25 OHD < 40 ng/ml) were found in 49/60 patients (81 percent) and 12/20 (60 percent) of controls.7

Bone Health

One of the best known and long-established benefits of Vitamin D3 is its ability to improve bone health and the health of the musculoskeletal system. It is well documented that Vitamin D3 deficiency causes osteopenia, precipitates and exacerbates osteoporosis, causes a painful bone disease known as osteomalacia, and exacerbates muscle weakness, which increases the risk of falls and fractures. Vitamin D3 insufficiency may alter the regulatory mechanisms of parathyroid hormone (PTH) and cause a secondary hyperparathyroidism that increases the risk of osteoporosis and fractures.8

Cognitive Enhancement

Scientists are developing a greater appreciation for Vitamin D3’s ability to improve cognition. In a recent study, Vitamin D3 deficient subjects scored worse on mental function tests compared to individuals who had higher levels of the Vitamin.9 The researchers wrote, “In conclusion, the positive, significant correlation between serum 25(OH)D concentration and MMSE [mental state examination scores] in these patients suggests a potential role for Vitamin D in cognitive function of older adults.”

Immunity

Scientists have linked various aspects of immune health to a Vitamin D3 deficiency. Vitamin D3 regulates T cells, which are important to the functioning of a strong immune system. Vitamin D3 acts as an immune system modulator, preventing excessive expression of inflammatory cytokines and increasing the killing efficiency of macrophages. In addition, it dramatically stimulates the expression of potent anti-microbial peptides, which exist in immune system cells such as neutrophils, monocytes, natural killer cells, and in cells lining the respiratory tract. These Vitamin-D3-stimulated peptides play a major role in protecting the lung from infection.13

In addition, Vitamin D3 deficiency may influence development and progression of various autoimmune diseases.14

Multi-Talented Nutrient

Vitamin D3 deficiency has been linked to a host of other conditions such as high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and an increased risk of pre-eclampsia and insulin resistance during pregnancy.11,15-16 Most recently, low Vitamin D3 levels have been linked to an increased prevalence of early age-related macular degeneration.17

Proper Dosage

In many of my patients, even after consuming 2,000 to 4,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day, their test results indicate that their Vitamin D3 levels have not increased. These patients needed to consume 8,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day to achieve proper blood levels of the Vitamin. Patients should, therefore, have their physicians test their serum 1,25-dihyroxy D3 levels to determine the proper level of supplementation required. Testing is very important due to the fact that, in a small number of patients, Vitamin D3 supplementation can raise calcium levels to an excessively high level. I have found this to be especially true in African American patients. Testing for 1,25-dihyroxy Vitamin D3, PTH and calcium blood levels should therefore become a part of every woman’s regular blood work.

Conclusion

A growing number of researchers who have widely studied Vitamin D3 are almost begging the general public to consume more of this important nutrient. Due to Vitamin D3’s high safety profile in doses up to 10,000 IU per day and because of the wide role it plays in our health, consuming 2,000 to 4,000 IU per day of this nutrient at times of the year when sunlight is scarce is a prudent way to improve overall health.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 6, 2015
These Vitamin D3 capsules are wonderful.

My doctor informed me that I was Vitamin D3 deficient a while back so the first thing I did was check for NOW brand D3, because I know I can trust their brand after years of use.

These 5,000 IU capsules aren't any bigger than 1,000 IU or 2,000 IU capsules I've seen.

There's no strange smell, there's no bad taste, and they're small so they're easy to swallow.

If you need Vitamin D in a 5,000 IU dose, these are perfect for me, so they would hopefully work for you too!
review image review image
on November 1, 2009
I am a physician and am very aggressive in managing vitamin D deficiencies. I've yet to check my level on the 5000 unit tablet, but love the small size of the gelcaps and the price cannot be beat! I'm very pleased thus far...