Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2006 4:45:24 PM PDT
Ciaran says:
People who listen to Talk Radio and regurgitate their crap word for word, cant think for themself... ill. PLEASE PEOPLE, Talk Radio is ignorant. Listen to NPR before you start saying crap like that. So annoying. Stupid conservatives who think Bush is god and listen to that crap just get me goin, look at me rant. For God's sake, the republican party supports a president who is digging this country in to a hole (debt) and the biggest issue is.... the mexicans are taking our low paying jobs. Its people like Bush who are going to be responsable for most of the country living like the mexicans come 20 or 30 years from now. OH MY GOD, I must stop.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2006 10:31:21 PM PDT
bookcrazy says:
I can't disagree...
it's hard to listen to all the idiocy about the Mexcians driving down wages when the Republicans have opposed any increase in the minimum wage for years, and when they advertise the tax cuts as the best things since sliced bread, when they only help the top 1% or 2% of the country.
The way they do it is clever, though. They can say that everyone gets "X" percent of a cut, when in reality that's like putting Bill Gates in a room with 4 homeless people and saying that the average salary of all 5 is a billion dollars a year...it's a true statement, but it doesn't MEAN anything!

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2006 10:01:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2006 10:02:29 AM PDT
I have to disagree... I listen to NPR almost as much as I listen to the talk radio and watch the BBC and (occasionally) CNN much more then I watch Fox. However I am an economics graduate student and what I see (even on CNN) tells me that the economy is going in the right directions. I did not vote for Bush and there are plenty of issues I disagree with Republicans (especially Congressional Republicans) on, but the amount of bovine byproduct that I've seen coming out of the Democrats for the last five years is much higher then that of GOP.
Miniumum wage is a growth killer, as is any kind of price controls. Empirically, tax cuts appear to help the growth, and they definitely lower the psychological barriers. Illegals.. might well be the fuel for the current growth, but to be honest I have not heard anyone suggest doing anything about them that made sense to me. Current immigration system is broken, but a no-enforcement fix would be suicidal. Debt is an issue, but I think somewhat blown out of proportion. There will be foreign debtholders as long as US has respect.
Anyway, returning to the title of this thread... I have to agree with the statement that the NPR as it is right now is liberal spew. I can hear condecension from NPR voices, I feel the bias against the current administration and for many of its enemies, percieved and real.
I still listen to it, because it helps me get a better understanding of the world. But don't ask me to agree that it is politically neutral.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2006 11:04:35 AM PDT
I don't know if I agree with you about the amount of vitriol I hear from conservative pundits as oppossed to NPR. Conservative talk shows are not created to tell the "truth," but to tell the conservative side of a story and to entertain their audience...hard core conservatives(and, arguably, to piss off liberal listeners). While NPR may be liberal leaning, the Democratic agenda isn't present in their programming IMO.

However, I do agree that tax cuts have the power to stimulate the economy and we are seeing that now. But it does put a dent in revenue that even in the best of economic times cannot be made up by a spurt in GDP. My understanding is that it takes years and even decades to fill the gap in the deficit made by tax cuts if they are continued. For the moment, the deficit isn't something we can't handle, but if if the debt continues to grow we could be in trouble. I think both sides are taking a far too simplistic view of the advantages and disadvantages of tax cuts. But simple mathematics tells me there must be a cut in spending if you're willing to cut revenue sources. Spending is up at the moment. I could be wrong about this, but this is my understanding of tax cuts and their impact on the economy and government. As a Blue Dog I want the best ideas to succeed, Republican or Democrat, but I think the Bush Administration is trying to blow smoke up the duecehole on some of their talking points. And I think Democrats are trying to paint Republicans in too dark of a light considering the facts of the situation. Either way, as with most things in government and politics, things are not as good as some would like us to think and not as bad as others would want us to believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2006 4:55:49 AM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2006 9:25:27 AM PDT
Byrdman00 says:
Not true. Over the last decade the unemployment rate was at it's lowest in December 2000.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 1:48:16 PM PDT
Patrique says:
I don't think you really understand why the Mexican immigration problem is so critical. A cheap labor source will ensure that wages stay low. Minimum wage hikes are passed on immediately to the consumer so they hurt more than help. This unholy alliance between Republicans and their corporate buddies to maximize their profits through illegals working for 5 dollars per day and the Democrats, who never met an illegal they didn't want to get on the block voting bandwagon is a savage one-two punch which the middle class is helpless to negate. And that, my friend, is why nothing is going to be done about immigration, illegal and otherwise. Capitalism, without oversight or restraint, will always become exploitive because that is its nature. And, for now, there is nothing better to replace it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2007 1:59:54 PM PDT
NPR is at most lightly seasoned with liberal sentiment compared to conservative talk (that is hate) radio, the "culture warriors" over at Fox News (Hannity, O'Reilly et al ad nauseam) and Ann Coulter who dump a whole barrel of corrosive right wing hot sauce into every serving.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 11:17:19 AM PST
Jasoturner says:
Well, looks like ol' Maxim had the wrong major. Economy still going in the right direction based on your observations?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 11:32:42 AM PST
Jasoturner says:
"BTW, the economy is doing very well. Increased revenues are decreasing the deficit, which is now the smallest percentage of GDP it's ever been. Unemployment and inflation are the lowest they've ever been since Ronald Reagan. The economy's growth rate is higher than it was under the forty-second president. Does anyone who listens to NPR know this?"

Good point. But the magic seems to have faded a bit...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 5:24:13 PM PST
As an economics grad ... I have to say you failed in the field of anticipation. In hindsight , I`m curious , how would you reply now ?>

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 1:16:30 PM PST
M. C. Corder says:
And what do you think now?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009 1:17:29 PM PST
M. C. Corder says:
Ha-ha-ha

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 4:20:56 AM PST
Jasoturner says:
The problem with republicans (rather than conservatives such as many family members) is that they are unable to distinguish intellectually honest inquiry from ideological propaganda. Hence, NPR is "liberal spew", a left leaning counterweight to Fox news. Alas, this position is complete nonsense to any objective listener of NPR well knows.

On the bright side, the nuts currently running the republican party are driving that party to complete irrelevance. At that point, maybe principled conservatives will retake the party and engage in reality-based politics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2010 11:38:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2010 11:39:45 AM PDT
"BTW, the economy is doing very well. Increased revenues are decreasing the deficit, which is now the smallest percentage of GDP it's ever been. Unemployment and inflation are the lowest they've ever been since Ronald Reagan. The economy's growth rate is higher than it was under the forty-second president. Does anyone who listens to NPR know this?"

Listeners of NPR don't know this because it isn't true.

How can it be the "lowest ever" when the government had a surplus during the Clinton administration?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/downchart_gs.php?year=1900_2010&view=1&expand=&units=p&fy=fy11&chart=G0-fed&bar=0&stack=1&size=l&title=US%20Federal%20Deficit%20As%20Percent%20Of%20GDP&state=US&color=c&local=s#usgs302

As for inflation, in 1986 was 1.91% (the best year of the Reagan Administration) it was 1.55% in 1998 (best year of Clinton)

Posted on Jun 8, 2013 4:05:06 PM PDT
Doug Welch says:
Kevin Phillips is NO liberal. He was a Republican campaign strategist for Richard Nixon who created the wretched GOP "Southern Strategy" which mobilized racist resentment against the success of the Civil Rights movement in favor of the GOP through the 1980s. However Kevin Phillips seems to think that the GOP shifting its electoral base toward evangelicals is an even worse strategy. He was a conservative commentator at NPR until he disagreed with their editorial policy after the Kroc Foundation seemed to effect a right turn at that broadcasting body. He retired from NPR in the run up to the Iraq invasion debacle.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2006
Latest post:  Jun 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions