4.0 out of 5 stars Nice microscope for young kids
Published on December 30, 2011 by Crl1114

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a mediocre microscope....
After seeing a low rating on this product, I did read a few positive comments. You never can tell exactly how a product will measure up because so many reviews out there can be fluff.

Published on January 1, 2012 by Anthony

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a mediocre microscope...., January 1, 2012
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)

We purchased this for my 7-year old son for Christmas. He played with it quite a bit, and found the included slides interesting; however, the entire microscope is plastic and I'm expecting it to last hopefully one year before I'll be having to purchase one that is more solidly made.

For the money, it's a good value. For longevity, it's not gonna make it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice microscope for young kids, December 30, 2011
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
I bought this microscope for my son for Christmas not really knowing how well it would work & it turned out to be a pretty nice one. The only thing so far that I wish was different would be the fact that it doesn't seem very durable only because it is so light in weight & it makes me a little weary! But so far it's been great! I even bought some prepared slides to go with it that he absolutely loves! My son is 7 & I would definitely recommend this to anyone else!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nannas eval, September 25, 2012
Helen L. Stephens (Grand Junction, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
I purchased this item as a gift for my 8yr old grandson. He was amazed and excited when it came and proceeded to look up everything that would fit under the scope. I trust Amazon and Smithsonian items.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed 10 year old, February 26, 2013
tanya rogers (BRADLEYVILLE, MO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
very unstable, the bottom is not even. Super hard to focus, most thngs can not even be seen under the 900x. Would not recomend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the basics, September 27, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
It's a good as a cheap starter microscope. Does the basic job it's suppose to.

Just about everything, including the little scalpel and slides are made of plastic. The plastic that the microscope is made of gives the impression of being very fragile. The screws you have to remove to put in the batteries are made with a cheap metal and strip easily. You'll have to use caution when taking them out and putting them back in. I completely stripped the head of one the first time I tried taking it out.

Because the microscope is plastic it is very light weight making it very unstable. It wobbles a lot when you're trying to focus or adjust the slide, so it's tricky to focus. This could probably be overcome by taping the base to a board or the table or maybe weighing the base down with something.

I was able to get okay focus using all three levels of magnification. However the higher the magnification the harder it is to focus because any error in adjustment is also magnified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only OK, January 5, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
For the price it is a good buy. I was not impressed with how well you could see the items with different magnifications. I was glad the slides were all made of plastic. For a first microscope for someone this is a good item. Very hard to get items in the viewing area.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, January 24, 2014
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
My son received this from my aunt for his birthday. The screws to the battery compartment are cheap; one stripped right away. With two screws out, I was able to pry back the cheap plastic cover enough to get the batteries in. But, we can't see anything through the microscope. The cheap lenses make it impossible to see anything on the slides. I'll be returning it. You'd think the Smithsonian would brand something that worked... I'm glad I have a very patient little boy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect much, but be pleasently surprised with careful handling., October 6, 2014
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
At first we didn't think the light worked, then we discovered a battery had been placed incorrectly. Swivel the mirror / light to turn on the light (after batteries have been inserted correctly).

I'm not sure if the multiplication factors are correct, but you can see down to about 5 microns at its 900x setting (slightly smaller than a blood cell). It's not easy and you have to use the dial carefully, but it can be done.

Speaking about the dial, it is easy to use, but it is very difficult to use it precisely.

Another issue is that the LED light is very bright. After a few minutes concentrating on getting the the focus correctly and seeing the object, the bright light into your eye blinds you a little bit.

As others have mentioned, it is made of plastic. For a child that may be rough on a device, this may be easily broken. My 7 year old daughter is enjoying playing with it, but daddy is having just as much fun, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't lose, October 14, 2014
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
For fifteen bucks plus shipping, the only way you could go wrong on this thing is if it didn't work at all. Which is not the case. Three magnification powers, all of which can be reasonably focused, plus a lot of little extra doo-dads to sweeten the deal (extra slides, plastic tweezers, dropper, sample slides). I bought it for myself just to have around in case I needed to magnify anything. Both mirror and battery operated illumination. It is made of plastic, so it is very light and maneuverable, which could be a plus or a minus, depending on your needs. If you want something immediately (it came quickly in the mail) just to see if you want something better someday, this is the thing to get.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is crap, January 6, 2013
This review is from: NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit (Toy)
Sorry but I was expecting something a-little better when I opened the box. Very cheaply made and fragile, it broke in a week.

NSI 150x/450x/900x Microscope Kit
$32.95
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.