Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 20, 2012
I bought this this set as I was changing my kids room from a baby room (with Dora & Pooh decals etc) to a more 'big kid' room - with charts of planets & these hanging planets. I was very disappointed. We were quick to throw the packaging away, otherwise would have returned the same. The planets are VERY VERY VERY small. I mean, most of them are the size of dime, others quarters. Saturn is about the size of a tennis ball and Sun and Jupiter, a little bigger than that. They are all proportionately sized, so you can image. Whatever I do (hook/ tape etc), I am unable to get Sun, Saturn and Jupiter to stay hanging to the ceiling - they have fallen about half a dozen times now, and I dontbother to put them up anymore. They don't reflect light - that's a let down too. Overall, a really bad product - masked under the SMITHSONIAN name - I also was tricked to thinking that meant a quality product. DON'T BUY!
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
Please do not purchase this egregiously crappy toy. The plastic wire they give you to hang them is (1) not long enough for all the planets, (2) does not pull straight and the planets are not heavy enough to stretch it out, so the planets hang all wonky from it, (3) is not compliant enough to tie it in a knot to the hooks, (4) slips out from the tape. I hung the sun and Mercury as a test before hanging the others, I put a crap-load of tape on the plastic wire for the sun to try to get it to stay in place, and within a couple of hours we heard a 'smash' as it fell from my son's ceiling onto the floor and broke into pieces.

Also, they hardly glow at all. It's really pathetic. This crap must cost them a few cents to mass produce in China, they deliver it to you with screws and plastic wire and tell you to tape it to your ceiling and charge you $25-$30 for it. Shame on the Smithsonian for lending its name to this crap.

And I know which planet is supposed to be which, and what order they come in, but you'd think they would put some way of identifying the planets and getting them in the right order in the instructions, if it's supposed to be educational. Well at least if someone puts them up in the wrong order, they won't stay there for long.
on January 9, 2012
The boys wanted planets in their room. So after some researching, I decided on these. Relative sizes is nice. The glow...could be better. They do glow, but we have other things in the room including a couple HW cars that glow better. Even after hitting them with bright halogen flashlight. Maybe some LED lighting...Hmmmm
on April 23, 2013
My daughter received this for a gift and I am so disappointed. The planets are too small and they do not glow! I wish I had saved the package so I could return it!
on December 8, 2014
Heed the poor ratings and do not buy! This is not only not educational, but would be counterproductive to education, as the colors and markings on the planets are all incorrect. Terrible and disappointing that the Smithsonian permits its name to be associated with this. The eight planets and one sun are made of cheap plastic and barely glow in the dark. I would guess this costs the company about 50 cents to make. It might be worth having for five dollars, but to sell it for this price is outrageous. There is absolutely no educational material included in the package, and even the planets do not look at all like their real counterparts. I could spot Saturn by the laughable "ring," which is actually a solid disk that is attached TO the planet, but I couldn't even tell which one of the bigger planets was supposed to be Jupiter with its distinctive red spot. Our six year old took one look at it and turned to other more interesting toys. He hasn't even asked us to hang it up in his room.
on January 30, 2013
So for starters, they have Saturn listed twice and managed to forget Neptune in the instructions. Some of the hangers are larger than the actual planets which looks absolutely silly hanging up. They also didn't include enough string to hang all the planets, which by the way, they want you to hang on your ceiling with tape. When you see and feel the size of the Sun, you'll know this isn't possible. If your child truly loves solar systems, pass on this. I'm giving it two stars instead of one because my son did play with it on the floor for a few minutes.
on March 28, 2012
I got this for my 5 year old son who's in love with Planets. I got it to make a mobile and hang it from his ceiling. The planets are VERY small I understand that they are to scale and all but I wasn't expecting what I got. The planets are not the colors I see in other pictures and diagrams, and the glow in the dark is very weak. He loves it and that makes it worth it. But I'm not impressed.
on August 14, 2015
USE A BLACKLIGHT TO CHARGE!!! Seriously, it works!! (See photo! Turned BLACKLIGHT on for ONE MINUTE- BLACKLIGHT is OFF in this photo!)
review image
on January 3, 2016
Piece of junk. Can't even get the planets right.... Need I say more. Two saturns? What happen to Neptune..... Seriously? DOES NOT GLOW AT ALL! Don't waste your money!!!! And to top it all off there isn't even enough string to hang all the planets.
review image
on February 17, 2016
Ours doesn't glow - quite disappointing. And I really thought it would come as a mobile, with a hoop to hang them from; but no.
It just comes with plastic wire that you have to divvy up between the 8 planets and sun, and they say to TAPE the plastic wire to the ceiling!?!
Even if that would hold, we hate the look of taped things, so we have them hanging from small metal eyelets we put into the ceiling.
But even with that said, it's still kinda' cool.
Sigh. I'm going to see whether a blacklight bulb will make a difference.