5.0 out of 5 stars It's BPA free

Published 21 months ago by Tamic

5.0 out of 5 stars It's BPA free, May 13, 2012
Patrick (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
The description on Amazon and manufacturer web page does not mention anything about being BPA free. I contacted the manufacturer and confirmed it is actually BPA free. That information is on the packing. Here is some additional information from their customer service: "The food cube tray is actually made from a rubber based material called TPE and I can confirm that this material does pass the UK regulations for food contact."

I tried to mash food using a spoon and it's not as easy as I thought. I like this masher. It's perfect when I only want to prepare one serving of baby food and feed my baby right away. It only takes ~30 seconds to mash one serving of food. Easy to wash, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars It goes everywhere with us now - highly recommend!, May 29, 2012
E. Sikorski (South Jersey, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
This was the perfect item to mash up food to give to our 11 month old. We have tried a few other products that didn't come close to this in terms of ease of use, effectiveness, and ease of cleaning. Some things I like about this product:

- The pieces are dishwasher safe which makes clean up easy.
- The bowl has a rubber bottom which makes it slip resistant.
- There are grooves in the bowl the provide a nice amount friction for mashing up foods.
- It is sturdy and durable.

We have used this for about a month with all kinds of foods: pasta, meats, beans, fruits, veggies, etc. For the cost, I cannot recommend picking up this product enough - you will not be disappointed. It more than easily pays for itself in money saved from buying less jars of baby food!

UPDATE:

- over 6 months later and we have pretty much stopped using this product as our son is old enough (and has enough teeth) to not need most foods mashed up. Although, he does enjoy potatoes and other veggies mashed up still...so it still gets some occasional use.
This has held up through the entire time we used it and it will be ready to go for our next child! I stand by my original review of this product - it was a HUGE help for feeding our son all sorts of table food for many months.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE!, May 5, 2012
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I love this food masher! We started feeding my son solid foods at 6 months. By that age he didn't need to eat watery cereal and could eat thicker purees. Some foods, like bananas and strawberries, can be mashed up as is. Some foods, like apples and pears, mash up really well once they are steamed. When he was about 9 months old we started putting whatever we were eating into the masher and it worked out perfectly. We put in pastas, stews, chicken and rice, spaghetti...all mashable! You can even take it to restaurants with you! Rather than spending money on a Baby Bullet, get a few of these!

4.0 out of 5 stars BPA-free but also Recycle Plastic # 7: use with discretion, February 11, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
The Nuk Bowl and Masher works great for mashing soft fruit and veggies with ease. The masher handle is more comfortable for a smaller/leaner hand like mine than for my husband who has larger/thicker hands. The bowl handle and base helps keep it steady and the groove lines inside lets you grind the food smoothly but still with texture. Clean-up is quite easy as well.

I was quite surprise how small it was when I first received it, but it worked out fine because I wasn't planning on making large quantities. Measurement-wise: Handle is 3" wide and 4" long. Bowl is approx. 4.25" at opening and 2" deep. The bowl holds approx. 1 cup of mash food.

There are 4 symbols indicated on the bottom of the bowl.
- RECYCLE PLASTIC #7 with code PP/TPE (polypropylene) underneath
- The CUP AND FORK symbol for plastic is safe for contact with food
- A CROSSED-OUT THERMOMETER symbol with 60 degrees Celsius = 140 degrees Fahrenheit next to it
- A CLOCK symbol for when it was manufactured

Now there is some confusion here to the #7 plastic code. Typically #7 is not use with food storage because it considered unsafe. This is because often a # "7" on the bottom in the recycling triangle means the material is polycarbonate, but NOT always. Polycarbonate is the plastic that is made from the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA.) However the PP code underneath indicates that it is made with polypropylene which is mostly use for tupperware/food storage container marked under code #5, which is safe. Base on my research, whether the code was printed correctly or not, one can only assume that it is made from plastic #7 but from polypropylene and does NOT contain polycarbonate since it's marked as BPA-FREE.

Whether or not the bowl and masher are dishwasher/microwave safe you should use it at your own desertion. There is NO symbol indicating that it is microwave or dishwasher-safe. I would rather be safe then sorry. There has never been the need for me to put it in the microwave since my fruits and veggies were pre-cut then boiled in a small sauce pot or defrosted in a separate bowl. I never had to use the dishwasher either because I always quickly rinse it under hot water and leave it in a Dish Pan Basin soaking in soapy water with all of the other baby tableware. Never like the idea of mixing our dishes, which contains grease, with the baby's bowls and bottles.

The bottom-line:

I think this bowl/masher set is a wonderful tool for making small portion of fresh mash food for babies who have most of their teeth and are already learning to chew and swallow thicker food. It is easy to use and clean. I am not worried about the #7 recycling code bc at the end I will (A) never microwave the bowl, whether it is BPA-free or not, (B) I am not using the bowl as a tableware so my baby never will be chewing on it, (C) I will not store food in it for a long period of time. It was meant for mashing fruit and veggies quickly and it does just that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Made of Plastic #7, July 6, 2012
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I was about to wash and use this product for my baby when I saw at the bottom of the bowl that the plastic recycling sign was #7. I read that #7 is a catch-all category and it may mean it's an ok plastic if it's one of those new biobased plastics. I called the toll-free number listed on the package and was told that the product is made of polypropylene TPE. I read in a few books that it is best to stick to #1, #2, #4 and #5 plastics for babies, so I don't think I will take a chance with this product. It looks like a really good product though and I'm sure it would have been very useful, if not for the #7. I'm giving this a 3-star to be "neutral" since I haven't used this product and can't tell if it's good or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great masher!, May 15, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I love this little mashing bowl. I'm not sure how often I'll use it, but it works well and gets the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for baby, May 3, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
Freshfoods Mash & Serve Bowl is so good ,clear,easy to sever for baby so many friends love it ,thank you so much!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for on the go, April 28, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
Bought this for on the go feelings. Easily fits in a diaper bag and does the job mashing whatever. Steaming te food first makes this easier to use but also great for smashing fresh bananas. Would recommend this product

5.0 out of 5 stars mash away at the table or on the counter top and then feed away, March 21, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
A great addiditon to our food preparation tools. Works wonderfully well for avocado - easy to mash and clean up

1.0 out of 5 stars This bowl is # 7 plastic!!!!!, April 6, 2014
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
This bowl states that it's BPA free, which is great. However, once I received it and looked on the bottom of the bowl it says that it's # 7 plastic. There are many other chemicals to be concerned about and #7, from what I've read, has them all because it's miscellaneous and has a little bit of everything. Haven't used it at all.

ARRAY(0x9ab142f4)