5.0 out of 5 stars It goes everywhere with us now - highly recommend!
This was the perfect item to mash up food to give to our 11 month old. We have tried a few other products that didn't come close to this in terms of ease of use, effectiveness, and ease of cleaning. Some things I like about this product:

- The pieces are dishwasher safe which makes clean up easy.
- The bowl has a rubber bottom which makes it slip...
Published on May 29, 2012 by E. Sikorski

3.0 out of 5 stars Made of Plastic #7
Published on July 6, 2012 by Tamic

5.0 out of 5 stars It goes everywhere with us now - highly recommend!, May 29, 2012
E. Sikorski (South Jersey, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)

- The pieces are dishwasher safe which makes clean up easy.
- The bowl has a rubber bottom which makes it slip resistant.
- There are grooves in the bowl the provide a nice amount friction for mashing up foods.
- It is sturdy and durable.

We have used this for about a month with all kinds of foods: pasta, meats, beans, fruits, veggies, etc. For the cost, I cannot recommend picking up this product enough - you will not be disappointed. It more than easily pays for itself in money saved from buying less jars of baby food!

UPDATE:

- over 6 months later and we have pretty much stopped using this product as our son is old enough (and has enough teeth) to not need most foods mashed up. Although, he does enjoy potatoes and other veggies mashed up still...so it still gets some occasional use.
This has held up through the entire time we used it and it will be ready to go for our next child! I stand by my original review of this product - it was a HUGE help for feeding our son all sorts of table food for many months.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's BPA free, May 13, 2012
Patrick (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
The description on Amazon and manufacturer web page does not mention anything about being BPA free. I contacted the manufacturer and confirmed it is actually BPA free. That information is on the packing. Here is some additional information from their customer service: "The food cube tray is actually made from a rubber based material called TPE and I can confirm that this material does pass the UK regulations for food contact."

I tried to mash food using a spoon and it's not as easy as I thought. I like this masher. It's perfect when I only want to prepare one serving of baby food and feed my baby right away. It only takes ~30 seconds to mash one serving of food. Easy to wash, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE!, May 5, 2012
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I love this food masher! We started feeding my son solid foods at 6 months. By that age he didn't need to eat watery cereal and could eat thicker purees. Some foods, like bananas and strawberries, can be mashed up as is. Some foods, like apples and pears, mash up really well once they are steamed. When he was about 9 months old we started putting whatever we were eating into the masher and it worked out perfectly. We put in pastas, stews, chicken and rice, spaghetti...all mashable! You can even take it to restaurants with you! Rather than spending money on a Baby Bullet, get a few of these!

4.0 out of 5 stars BPA-free but also Recycle Plastic # 7: use with discretion, February 11, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
The Nuk Bowl and Masher works great for mashing soft fruit and veggies with ease. The masher handle is more comfortable for a smaller/leaner hand like mine than for my husband who has larger/thicker hands. The bowl handle and base helps keep it steady and the groove lines inside lets you grind the food smoothly but still with texture. Clean-up is quite easy as well.

I was quite surprise how small it was when I first received it, but it worked out fine because I wasn't planning on making large quantities. Measurement-wise: Handle is 3" wide and 4" long. Bowl is approx. 4.25" at opening and 2" deep. The bowl holds approx. 1 cup of mash food.

There are 4 symbols indicated on the bottom of the bowl.
- RECYCLE PLASTIC #7 with code PP/TPE (polypropylene) underneath
- The CUP AND FORK symbol for plastic is safe for contact with food
- A CROSSED-OUT THERMOMETER symbol with 60 degrees Celsius = 140 degrees Fahrenheit next to it
- A CLOCK symbol for when it was manufactured

Now there is some confusion here to the #7 plastic code. Typically #7 is not use with food storage because it considered unsafe. This is because often a # "7" on the bottom in the recycling triangle means the material is polycarbonate, but NOT always. Polycarbonate is the plastic that is made from the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA.) However the PP code underneath indicates that it is made with polypropylene which is mostly use for tupperware/food storage container marked under code #5, which is safe. Base on my research, whether the code was printed correctly or not, one can only assume that it is made from plastic #7 but from polypropylene and does NOT contain polycarbonate since it's marked as BPA-FREE.

Whether or not the bowl and masher are dishwasher/microwave safe you should use it at your own desertion. There is NO symbol indicating that it is microwave or dishwasher-safe. I would rather be safe then sorry. There has never been the need for me to put it in the microwave since my fruits and veggies were pre-cut then boiled in a small sauce pot or defrosted in a separate bowl. I never had to use the dishwasher either because I always quickly rinse it under hot water and leave it in a Dish Pan Basin soaking in soapy water with all of the other baby tableware. Never like the idea of mixing our dishes, which contains grease, with the baby's bowls and bottles.

The bottom-line:

I think this bowl/masher set is a wonderful tool for making small portion of fresh mash food for babies who have most of their teeth and are already learning to chew and swallow thicker food. It is easy to use and clean. I am not worried about the #7 recycling code bc at the end I will (A) never microwave the bowl, whether it is BPA-free or not, (B) I am not using the bowl as a tableware so my baby never will be chewing on it, (C) I will not store food in it for a long period of time. It was meant for mashing fruit and veggies quickly and it does just that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Made of Plastic #7, July 6, 2012
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I was about to wash and use this product for my baby when I saw at the bottom of the bowl that the plastic recycling sign was #7. I read that #7 is a catch-all category and it may mean it's an ok plastic if it's one of those new biobased plastics. I called the toll-free number listed on the package and was told that the product is made of polypropylene TPE. I read in a few books that it is best to stick to #1, #2, #4 and #5 plastics for babies, so I don't think I will take a chance with this product. It looks like a really good product though and I'm sure it would have been very useful, if not for the #7. I'm giving this a 3-star to be "neutral" since I haven't used this product and can't tell if it's good or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Made from the worst type of plastic for health (#7) - beware!, February 24, 2014
Happy smile (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
As other reviewer pointed out, it can say BPA free, but aside from that component, plastic #7 has been found to be the one with the worst chemicals that have a harsh effect on the body - would you risk making anything on this for your baby? undoubtedly, this is going back.
Here's some of the information about this kind of plastic (from [...]):

Plastic #7: Other

How To Recognize the Plastics That Are Hazardous To Your Health
Last but certainly not least, we have the nastiest one of all, Plastic #7. It’s a kind of catch-all designation that describes packages made of a resin other than the six standard types. It’s also used to describe plastics made from any combination of the standard six plus other resin types.

These plastics are used to make such things as three- and five-gallon reusable water bottles, including some citrus juice and ketchup bottles. It’s also used to make oven-baking bags, barrier layers, and custom packaging.

Obviously, it’s difficult to pin down the health risks for such an unspecified category, but the most significant issue with this class of plastics is the hormone-disrupting chemical bisphenol A (BPA). Some bottles, including baby bottles, are made of polycarbonate plastic, a polymer made with BPA. Just one week of polycarbonate plastic use can increase urinary BPA concentration by two-thirds. And indeed, BPA is ubiquitous; it may be present in as many as 95% of adults.

A quick summary of the health risks associated with BPA include reproductive abnormalities like lower sperm counts, hormonal changes, enlarged prostate glands, asthma, abnormalities in the number of chromosomes in eggs, and pre-cancerous changes in the breast and prostate (at least in mice). It’s also been linked to obesity and insulin resistance.

There are also epigenetic factors to consider. BPA suppresses the expression of a gene that's vital to nerve cell function and to the development of the central nervous system. It may also predispose both animals and humans to neurodevelopmental disorders, autism included.

Read the label!

So very quickly, you should avoid any plastic designated #7, #3, and #6. Plastics that are safe, or at least relatively so, are #1, #2, #4, and #5. In terms of the specific plastics themselves, the most hazardous are polyurethanes, PVC, and styrenic copolymers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great masher!, May 15, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I love this little mashing bowl. I'm not sure how often I'll use it, but it works well and gets the job done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bowl is difficult to clean, December 12, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
I get a lot of use of the masher, but not the bowl, which has grooves and is difficult to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for baby, May 3, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
Freshfoods Mash & Serve Bowl is so good ,clear,easy to sever for baby so many friends love it ,thank you so much!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars mash away at the table or on the counter top and then feed away, March 21, 2013
This review is from: NUK Mash & Serve Bowl (Baby Product)
A great addiditon to our food preparation tools. Works wonderfully well for avocado - easy to mash and clean up

NUK Mash & Serve Bowl