1,011
NUK Mash and Serve Bowl
Price:$7.79 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
This was the perfect item to mash up food to give to our 11 month old. We have tried a few other products that didn't come close to this in terms of ease of use, effectiveness, and ease of cleaning. Some things I like about this product:

- The pieces are dishwasher safe which makes clean up easy.
- The bowl has a rubber bottom which makes it slip resistant.
- There are grooves in the bowl the provide a nice amount friction for mashing up foods.
- It is sturdy and durable (now is on to the third different child using this).
- It's a one "pot" meal - mash it up and serve right from it.

We have used this for about a month with all kinds of foods: pasta, meats, beans, fruits, veggies, etc. For the cost, I cannot recommend picking up this product enough - you will not be disappointed. It more than easily pays for itself in money saved from buying less jars of baby food!

UPDATE:

- over 6 months later and we have pretty much stopped using this product as our son is old enough (and has enough teeth) to not need most foods mashed up. Although, he does enjoy potatoes and other veggies mashed up still...so it still gets some occasional use.
This has held up through the entire time we used it and it will be ready to go for our next child! I stand by my original review of this product - it was a HUGE help for feeding our son all sorts of table food for many months.

Update #2 - 12/16/14

- baby #2 has officially started solid foods a few weeks ago and we took this right out of the attic. Since our first, we had let someone else borrow this and it still is in perfect condition! Bananas and sweet potatoes are being mashed to perfection already. We look forward to being able use this the entire time with this baby.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
The description on Amazon and manufacturer web page does not mention anything about being BPA free. I contacted the manufacturer and confirmed it is actually BPA free. That information is on the packing. Here is some additional information from their customer service: "The food cube tray is actually made from a rubber based material called TPE and I can confirm that this material does pass the UK regulations for food contact."

I tried to mash food using a spoon and it's not as easy as I thought. I like this masher. It's perfect when I only want to prepare one serving of baby food and feed my baby right away. It only takes ~30 seconds to mash one serving of food. Easy to wash, too.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2012
I love this food masher! We started feeding my son solid foods at 6 months. By that age he didn't need to eat watery cereal and could eat thicker purees. Some foods, like bananas and strawberries, can be mashed up as is. Some foods, like apples and pears, mash up really well once they are steamed. When he was about 9 months old we started putting whatever we were eating into the masher and it worked out perfectly. We put in pastas, stews, chicken and rice, spaghetti...all mashable! You can even take it to restaurants with you! Rather than spending money on a Baby Bullet, get a few of these!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this initially for making baby food while traveling/on-the-go but as soon as it arrived, we used it right away. I make our baby food at home using the steam/hand blend/freeze method but this allows us to make baby food right there on the spot and it's nice and fresh. Sure one can argue (poorly at that) that a fork and bowl could yield the same results, but dump your fresh food right in, give the small pulverzier a push and about 2 spins later, you have fresh baby food. My little one is six months and she loves eating: bananas, avocado, peaches, nectarines, and melons. For the banana and avocado, mix it with a little breastmilk or formula to get it to the right runny consistency. The thing I like about this bowl for nectarines and peaches, those fruits have a tendency to be stringy and I'm afraid it will choke my little one. This device cuts up the string without making the mush too runny and leaving it a thick consistency (something a fork and bowl will take you quite a while to do). I often defrost a frozen cube of blended fruit right in the bowl and add half a fresh banana and mush them all together. I like that you can feed your baby right out of the bowl and clean up is a breeze. So glad I bought this thing and I can't see us living without it.

Update (11/15/13): My little one is now ten months old. This bowl masher has taken up permanent residency in our diaper bag. She now eats the same table food we eat. We just cut up smaller chunks of veggies and take more veggies/meat/carb in the bowl and mash that up then mix up the cut up foot with the mashed food to create a chunky stew-like consistency. She only has two bottom teeth and two top teeth poking out so she can't quite chew some of the harder cuts of meat, so this thing comes in handy when the meats aren't toddler friendly. It has saved us in packing baby food and BUYING baby food alone. We love this thing!
review image review image review image
on February 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
The Nuk Bowl and Masher works great for mashing soft fruit and veggies with ease. The masher handle is more comfortable for a smaller/leaner hand like mine than for my husband who has larger/thicker hands. The bowl handle and base helps keep it steady and the groove lines inside lets you grind the food smoothly but still with texture. Clean-up is quite easy as well.

I was quite surprise how small it was when I first received it, but it worked out fine because I wasn't planning on making large quantities. Measurement-wise: Handle is 3" wide and 4" long. Bowl is approx. 4.25" at opening and 2" deep. The bowl holds approx. 1 cup of mash food.

There are 4 symbols indicated on the bottom of the bowl.
- RECYCLE PLASTIC #7 with code PP/TPE (polypropylene) underneath
- The CUP AND FORK symbol for plastic is safe for contact with food
- A CROSSED-OUT THERMOMETER symbol with 60 degrees Celsius = 140 degrees Fahrenheit next to it
- A CLOCK symbol for when it was manufactured

Now there is some confusion here to the #7 plastic code. Typically #7 is not use with food storage because it considered unsafe. This is because often a # "7" on the bottom in the recycling triangle means the material is polycarbonate, but NOT always. Polycarbonate is the plastic that is made from the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA.) However the PP code underneath indicates that it is made with polypropylene which is mostly use for tupperware/food storage container marked under code #5, which is safe. Base on my research, whether the code was printed correctly or not, one can only assume that it is made from plastic #7 but from polypropylene and does NOT contain polycarbonate since it's marked as BPA-FREE.

Whether or not the bowl and masher are dishwasher/microwave safe you should use it at your own desertion. There is NO symbol indicating that it is microwave or dishwasher-safe. I would rather be safe then sorry. There has never been the need for me to put it in the microwave since my fruits and veggies were pre-cut then boiled in a small sauce pot or defrosted in a separate bowl. I never had to use the dishwasher either because I always quickly rinse it under hot water and leave it in a Dish Pan Basin soaking in soapy water with all of the other baby tableware. Never like the idea of mixing our dishes, which contains grease, with the baby's bowls and bottles.

The bottom-line:

I think this bowl/masher set is a wonderful tool for making small portion of fresh mash food for babies who have most of their teeth and are already learning to chew and swallow thicker food. It is easy to use and clean. I am not worried about the #7 recycling code bc at the end I will (A) never microwave the bowl, whether it is BPA-free or not, (B) I am not using the bowl as a tableware so my baby never will be chewing on it, (C) I will not store food in it for a long period of time. It was meant for mashing fruit and veggies quickly and it does just that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2013
Verified Purchase
Let me start off by saying that cutting food into little, itty bitty bits, is the bane of my existence. I wouldn't mind it so much if my 10 month old was a dainty eater, but 'tis no ordinary baby, 'tis an eating machine! Pair that with the fact that she has a whopping eight teeth and it's safe to say that I cut ALOT of food. Enter the Mash & Serve Bowl. Noting the aforementioned hatred of cutting, bane of my existence, yadda yadda yadda...I wanted to love this bowl. I really did. However, the resulting texture of food is inconsistent; for example, it turns the flesh of blueberries and strawberries into a watery, unusable pulp, but barely cuts up the skin. That leaves with me the task of not only cutting a fresh batch of fruit, but now I have a bowl to clean. Eh. It obliterates eggs into dusty bits and turns pasta into a paste. The problem lies with the bowl's ridges; I don't think they are raised enough to create the lumpy, fork mashed texture I am looking for. While trying to get the unmashed pieces, you end up overmashing the already mashed food in the process. Does that make sense? I haven't tried meat yet, but I'm not optimistic. I think it would work well for babies with a couple or no teeth, but is overkill for those who are able to chew pencil eraser sized pieces (not pencil erasers themselves...that's an entirely different problem). I'm trying to perfect my "mashing & grinding" technique, to see if it makes a difference. However, designed as it is now, it doesn't work for my needs.
review image
on April 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
This bowl states that it's BPA free, which is great. However, once I received it and looked on the bottom of the bowl it says that it's # 7 plastic. There are many other chemicals to be concerned about and #7, from what I've read, has them all because it's miscellaneous and has a little bit of everything. Haven't used it at all.
on July 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was about to wash and use this product for my baby when I saw at the bottom of the bowl that the plastic recycling sign was #7. I read that #7 is a catch-all category and it may mean it's an ok plastic if it's one of those new biobased plastics. I called the toll-free number listed on the package and was told that the product is made of polypropylene TPE. I read in a few books that it is best to stick to #1, #2, #4 and #5 plastics for babies, so I don't think I will take a chance with this product. It looks like a really good product though and I'm sure it would have been very useful, if not for the #7. I'm giving this a 3-star to be "neutral" since I haven't used this product and can't tell if it's good or not.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
Freshfoods Mash & Serve Bowl is so good ,clear,easy to sever for baby so many friends love it ,thank you so much!!!
on February 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
As other reviewer pointed out, it can say BPA free, but aside from that component, plastic #7 has been found to be the one with the worst chemicals that have a harsh effect on the body - would you risk making anything on this for your baby? undoubtedly, this is going back.
Here's some of the information about this kind of plastic (from [...]):

Plastic #7: Other

How To Recognize the Plastics That Are Hazardous To Your Health
Last but certainly not least, we have the nastiest one of all, Plastic #7. It’s a kind of catch-all designation that describes packages made of a resin other than the six standard types. It’s also used to describe plastics made from any combination of the standard six plus other resin types.

These plastics are used to make such things as three- and five-gallon reusable water bottles, including some citrus juice and ketchup bottles. It’s also used to make oven-baking bags, barrier layers, and custom packaging.

Obviously, it’s difficult to pin down the health risks for such an unspecified category, but the most significant issue with this class of plastics is the hormone-disrupting chemical bisphenol A (BPA). Some bottles, including baby bottles, are made of polycarbonate plastic, a polymer made with BPA. Just one week of polycarbonate plastic use can increase urinary BPA concentration by two-thirds. And indeed, BPA is ubiquitous; it may be present in as many as 95% of adults.

A quick summary of the health risks associated with BPA include reproductive abnormalities like lower sperm counts, hormonal changes, enlarged prostate glands, asthma, abnormalities in the number of chromosomes in eggs, and pre-cancerous changes in the breast and prostate (at least in mice). It’s also been linked to obesity and insulin resistance.

There are also epigenetic factors to consider. BPA suppresses the expression of a gene that's vital to nerve cell function and to the development of the central nervous system. It may also predispose both animals and humans to neurodevelopmental disorders, autism included.

Read the label!

So very quickly, you should avoid any plastic designated #7, #3, and #6. Plastics that are safe, or at least relatively so, are #1, #2, #4, and #5. In terms of the specific plastics themselves, the most hazardous are polyurethanes, PVC, and styrenic copolymers.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations