Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NUK Mash and Serve Bowl for Making Homemade Baby Food
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: Pack of 1|Color: Mash|Change

on May 13, 2012
The description on Amazon and manufacturer web page does not mention anything about being BPA free. I contacted the manufacturer and confirmed it is actually BPA free. That information is on the packing. Here is some additional information from their customer service: "The food cube tray is actually made from a rubber based material called TPE and I can confirm that this material does pass the UK regulations for food contact."

I tried to mash food using a spoon and it's not as easy as I thought. I like this masher. It's perfect when I only want to prepare one serving of baby food and feed my baby right away. It only takes ~30 seconds to mash one serving of food. Easy to wash, too.
99 comments|234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2012
I love this food masher! We started feeding my son solid foods at 6 months. By that age he didn't need to eat watery cereal and could eat thicker purees. Some foods, like bananas and strawberries, can be mashed up as is. Some foods, like apples and pears, mash up really well once they are steamed. When he was about 9 months old we started putting whatever we were eating into the masher and it worked out perfectly. We put in pastas, stews, chicken and rice, spaghetti...all mashable! You can even take it to restaurants with you! Rather than spending money on a Baby Bullet, get a few of these!
11 comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2013
The Nuk Bowl and Masher works great for mashing soft fruit and veggies with ease. The masher handle is more comfortable for a smaller/leaner hand like mine than for my husband who has larger/thicker hands. The bowl handle and base helps keep it steady and the groove lines inside lets you grind the food smoothly but still with texture. Clean-up is quite easy as well.

I was quite surprise how small it was when I first received it, but it worked out fine because I wasn't planning on making large quantities. Measurement-wise: Handle is 3" wide and 4" long. Bowl is approx. 4.25" at opening and 2" deep. The bowl holds approx. 1 cup of mash food.

There are 4 symbols indicated on the bottom of the bowl.
- RECYCLE PLASTIC #7 with code PP/TPE (polypropylene) underneath
- The CUP AND FORK symbol for plastic is safe for contact with food
- A CROSSED-OUT THERMOMETER symbol with 60 degrees Celsius = 140 degrees Fahrenheit next to it
- A CLOCK symbol for when it was manufactured

Now there is some confusion here to the #7 plastic code. Typically #7 is not use with food storage because it considered unsafe. This is because often a # "7" on the bottom in the recycling triangle means the material is polycarbonate, but NOT always. Polycarbonate is the plastic that is made from the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA.) However the PP code underneath indicates that it is made with polypropylene which is mostly use for tupperware/food storage container marked under code #5, which is safe. Base on my research, whether the code was printed correctly or not, one can only assume that it is made from plastic #7 but from polypropylene and does NOT contain polycarbonate since it's marked as BPA-FREE.

Whether or not the bowl and masher are dishwasher/microwave safe you should use it at your own desertion. There is NO symbol indicating that it is microwave or dishwasher-safe. I would rather be safe then sorry. There has never been the need for me to put it in the microwave since my fruits and veggies were pre-cut then boiled in a small sauce pot or defrosted in a separate bowl. I never had to use the dishwasher either because I always quickly rinse it under hot water and leave it in a Dish Pan Basin soaking in soapy water with all of the other baby tableware. Never like the idea of mixing our dishes, which contains grease, with the baby's bowls and bottles.

The bottom-line:

I think this bowl/masher set is a wonderful tool for making small portion of fresh mash food for babies who have most of their teeth and are already learning to chew and swallow thicker food. It is easy to use and clean. I am not worried about the #7 recycling code bc at the end I will (A) never microwave the bowl, whether it is BPA-free or not, (B) I am not using the bowl as a tableware so my baby never will be chewing on it, (C) I will not store food in it for a long period of time. It was meant for mashing fruit and veggies quickly and it does just that.
11 comment|126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2015
have a little blemish in the plastic.
review image review image
on November 21, 2014
This bowl does nothing you couldn't do with a regular bowl and a fork. To boot, the masher is made for child-sized hands - my hand barely fits in the grip and it physically hurts as I am trying to mash food. Not sure if the intent was for babies to mash their own food (obviously not, but why not make it adult-sized in that case)? I'm shocked by the reviews for this item overall on Amazon. I used it once and never again.
on September 12, 2015
This bowl has it's description measurements incorrectly stated as " 8.5 x 5.5 x 5 inches". The only measurement that comes close to the 8.5" is the cardboard packaging that is actually just over 7". The actual item is 5.25" H X 4-3/16" W , adding in the small handle lip makes it 5.5" W.

I believe after seeing this item, it'll will work fine as a baby food masher, with an appropriate sized bowl for what it is designed for. However I had a different use in mind and I was using the product descriptions measurement of 8.5" which I expected it to be the bowls width. Which would have been a much better size for my use.

They really should have the correct measurements listed or not put them up at all. Wrong dimensions are worse than no dimensions at all.
review image review image review image review image
on April 6, 2014
This bowl states that it's BPA free, which is great. However, once I received it and looked on the bottom of the bowl it says that it's # 7 plastic. There are many other chemicals to be concerned about and #7, from what I've read, has them all because it's miscellaneous and has a little bit of everything. Haven't used it at all.
on August 1, 2014
Unnecessary waste of plastic. Skip it and just mash stuff with a fork. You don't need as much baby gear as you think--I promise. Learn from my mistakes and save your money.
on August 24, 2015
I love this thing! I bought it for mashing frozen baby food purees for my 5 month old.

It mashes everything really well. Sure, you could just use a fork, but this mashes evenly and creams the product evenly. The bowl holds everything, and the handle let's you keep a good grip on it while your baby tries to rip it from your hand.

It's super easy to clean too. I just rinse with hot water and all the food bits come right off, then throw it in the top rack of your dishwasher.
review image
on December 30, 2012
I've used the food processors to make baby food and while they're great to prepare in bulk, they're cumbersome when you just need to mash up some peas really quickly. This is great to use if you don't have a lot of baby food to prepare and just need one serving of something.