Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Size: BundlesChange

on March 30, 2010
First of all, when I read the ingredients on the package I went "yuck". But the more I looked at them, I realized that it wasn't actually bad at all - it was actually excellent! The main tooth decay ingredient is Xylitol. Check out the wiki page on this to get a better feel for how good this sugar alcohol is. It has all kinds of studies indicating that it can help tooth decay significantly and has no known toxicity issues. The sugar alcohol is derived from trees and seems very safe.

This is important. My kids are not old enough to realize that they can't swallow the toothpaste and I still need to keep their teeth clean ...

As a side note, they use Xylitol in chewing gum. In fact it is in many of the more expensive chewing gum brands that promote healthy teeth.

This is the only beginner toothpaste we use in our house. Check out the wiki page on Xylitol and I can say pretty confidently that you will use this as your only toothpaste with kids that may swallow their toothpaste.

Other than the Xylitol, the rest of the ingredients are pretty innocuous and are claimed to be all natural. So there you are.

33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2012
Please be aware that this "infant" toothpaste has one enzyme derived from eggs and two enzymes from milk. I noticed my daughter was scratching her skin for the past week and it coincided with the use of this toothpaste. She is allergic to eggs. I called NUK about this and the representative agreed that their website has no warnings about this.

The rep at NUK did say that the "toddler" toothpaste does not have these enzymes in the toothpaste but there is an oil derived from a tree nut. I can't confirm this but hopefully NUK and Amazon do a better job of posting the ingredients with the products.

I gave this one star because of the lack of warning, not necessarily for the quality or performance of the toothpaste to actually clean teeth and gums.

I hope this helps at least one parent out there.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2011
Thank goodness I read the label for this product. I wish it stated this on the package. My baby has a severe milk allergy and this product contains milk ingredients.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
I can see how this is very convenient when you first start brushing your baby's teeth because there is a lot more control over movement when you're cleaning with your finger instead of a brush. It would have worked best for us around 4-5 months when our baby popped her first teeth but wasn't biting very much. At that point, it would've been a lot better than manually wiping her two teeth with a washcloth.

However we bought this when our baby had around eight teeth and at that stage, this didn't really work for us. For one, if our baby clamped down, this would come off in her mouth and sometimes fall to the bathroom floor, requiring extra sanitization. For another, our baby would bite down hard on this because of the rubbery texture. This got very painful very fast - it got to the point where my husband and I were flipping coins to see which one of us would brush baby's teeth on any given night.

I recognize that these issues have nothing really do with the quality of the product per se but I just want to let other parents with overly bite-happy babies like ours know what to expect. We're now using actual baby toothbrushes as our baby got used to them faster than we expected and in fact now tries to hold them to brush her teeth on her own.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2011
My daughter is 7 months old now and she gets so excited seeing me pull out the finger brush. She LOVES to chew on it more then any other teether we own. She likes the flavor of the tooth paste a lot. I actually have to stop and take my finger away or she would never let me go! It sticks really well to my finger, I'm never worried that it will come off in her mouth, I have to literally peel it off my finger. I just rinse it under the tap and it stays clean. I've put it in the dishwasher before and it came out fine. I think it's a great introduction to brushing and hopefully she will like our upgrade to the banana brush next!
on February 3, 2011
Highly recommend this.

This is an excellent baby brush - we bought this for the brush alone - toothpaste will be a nice extra when we start using it (just water and the brush with an infant for now - and baby loves it). He actually smiles and opens wide. This is contrast to using a wet cloth to wipe his gums and teeth which made him cry. It must feel like a baby gum massage or something.

The brush is like a large, soft thimble with a mini brush (very soft) on the finger pad. You put it over your index finger and rub it on baby's teeth and gums. From what we read (including from the American Dental Association), you should start some kind of brushing this as soon as baby starts teething, but toothpaste seems optional for infants.

We're not using the toothpaste yet, so I hesitate to comment on it - other that you can see from most of the other reviews that the toothpaste is a big winner too.
on April 15, 2010
My baby never wants to brush his teeth (he's 1 yr old and have 6 teeth), but with this one my job became easier. He loves the flavor and eat it, now he opens his mouth by himself leaving the "fight" in the past :)
on June 29, 2010
Bought this item to be included in a gift basket for a baby shower. I like the product and will be useful to the new mother but I was disappointed to find it cheaper at Wal-Mart
on July 25, 2011
Around 3 weeks old, my son got Thrush in his mouth. YUCK. In addition to medicine from the doctor to get rid of it, we purchased this stuff hoping it would get rid of the stinky breath that Thrush gives babies. Worked like a charm! It gets rid of that "stomach acid" smell on their breath too after they spit up a bunch, which is so great because that is the only baby smell that makes mommy's tummy turn. I also found this to be the most useful tool for a distraction for my son right when he gets out of the bath. Now he LOOVES the bath process. He kicks, splashes, has so much fun, but as soon as he gets out, even when I bring the space heater into the bathroom to warm the room, he SCREAMS at the top of his lungs, dreading the drying off process I suppose. I lay him on a folded towel on top of my bathroom counter, and wrap him in another towel as soon as he gets out, and as he commences into screaming, I just pop this little thing in his mouth with that yummy paste on it, and like magic, no more tears. His eyes are smiling, he's drooling and making cooing noises, and I can then calmly clean out his ears, dry off his little self, and it just makes the whole world much better before bedtime every night. Great stuff!
on September 14, 2010
For some reason, my son refuses any other kind of toothpaste. I've tried several different brands but this is the one he loves. the little blue finger brush works so well when your child is just getting old enough to have their teeth brushed. I highly recommend this product.