Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2010 9:21:16 PM PST
anonymous says:
I am an avid NYT reader, but am moving to an area where they don't deliver. I don't spend for a Kindle until I actually see what the newspaper looks like..... just downloaded Kindle for PC and wonder if it supports a NYT subscription?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2010 8:21:40 AM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

Kindle newspapers, magazines, and blogs are not currently available for Kindle for PC.

Posted on Mar 30, 2010 10:29:45 PM PDT
Book Eater says:
love new york times -
love special stories others don't have on special interest like the controversary about climate change and people going to south africa after their child died to help your boat children escape drudgery of their lives -so many more - and of course maureen dowd - don't let her go on vacation

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2010 1:16:51 AM PDT
Jay Gourley says:
Why not?

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:08:31 AM PDT
D. Reiner says:
Um, the entire NYT is available on the web. Why would you want the Kindle version on a computer if you have the full version on a computer? Maybe portability, if you have a laptop without connectivity, so you can't get page loads when on the go. But really, not a lot of point in a kindle version for PCs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 10:56:12 AM PDT
Jay Gourley says:
Agree with D. Reiner's post, but some Kindle NYT edition advantages omitted.
1. Kindle editions of most newspapers are more conveniently organized for reading. This is worth the $1 cost to me by itself.
2. Kindle edition reflects is the printed edition. Web versions are continuously updated. I cannot easily find out what was in this morning's NYT from the web.
3. Reiner mentions the advantage of reading without connectivity. That's a big deal. Few PCs have cell connections. So if you're not in a wi-fi hotspot, you're not going to read the NYT.
4. Download times (related to no. 1). Advertising downloads involve complicated redirects that take time. Even on a broadband connection, it can take a few seconds just to see what you're looking, which may be the next pararaph of what you're reading.

One disadvantage of the Kindle editions not mentioned by Reiner is the difficulty forwarding or referencing an article for someone else to read. The web editions still have the Kindle editions beat on that. I hope that changes someday soon.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 8:19:29 AM PST
I have the same request for NY Times provided by Kindle for PC. There is an emergence of "Slate" devices such as the Asus EP121, HP Slate 500, and the IPAD 2. I recently purchased the Asus EP121, which is absolutely amazing! I've loaded Kindle for PC on the slate and would like to access publications like the NY times in the same manner as a physical kindle. Reading my technical books on the EP121 with Kindle for PC has proven very efficient on business trips with excessive travel. Now I'd like to have the same convenience for the NY Times.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:43:53 PM PDT
Kathy E. says:
Yes, the entire NYT is available on the web.. but now the limit is ten articles per month and after that you have to pay for a subscription, which can be pretty pricey. I wish NYT was availabkle for Kindle on PC as this is a lot cheaper than the full versions for PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2013 12:50:35 PM PDT
This was posted in 2010, and they still aren't supported on Windows Kindle for PC, even in Windows 8, where there is a dedicated Amazon controlled app for Kindle. I think it is just laziness on Amazon's part.

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 12:51:54 PM PDT
In the long list of "Available only on these devices" every device under the sun is listed for Newstand Items, but not Windows Apps. I have a Windows Tablet, a Windows Laptop, and a Windows Phone 8, as do many at our company, but I believe in an oversite, Amazon forgot to list it in the supported device list for Newsstand Items and so I can not subscribe. I don't know how to get Amazon to review the list and correct it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle by The New York Times Company
3.5 out of 5 stars   (962)