Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Subscription Length: 1 year auto-renewal|Change

on July 15, 2005
I first picked up a copy of Nylon in Chicago, while browsing the newsstands. I wasn't sure if I would like it--years of subscribing to Vogue, Elle, and some stupid tweeny magazines had almost put me off magazine-reading for good. And yet I always manage to be drawn to the racks.

Nylon was different from the get go. They always feature unknowns on the cover, and when, on occassion, a well-known celebrity is featured, the stories give us a new perspective on them.

Nylon is worth purchasing for the layout in itself. I could spend hours paging through each feature, marveling at the graphics, and the way the magazine is put together. I love how they base some of the beauty section on famous movies or bands.

Nylon also makes a point of covering bands, movies, and fashion designers that, until now, have remained obscure. Everything they feature is amazing--most of the music they recommend ends up on my Amazon wishlist!

I would highly recommend Nylon to anyone and everyone. This obscure magazine will stun you with its amazing artistic layout, and introduce you to new products you may have never discovered.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2008
A year's subscription for under 10 bux! Who can resist? So I signed up...even though I'm about twice as old as the other readers.

The good? The fashion is a good mix between high-street and high fashion. And, definitely, not boring. This is also one of the very few fashion magazines that regularly features fashion illustrations. Quite lovely ones, at that. So, yes...five stars for the eye candy aspect.

The bad? Any accompanying text from the cover to the last page. Lots of "I", "me", "my"...first-person stuff. Which would have been OK if the writers have a more mature and/or unique voice. Very casual and self-referential writing.

On second thought, maybe it's the appropriate tone for their intended market.

So, $10 for 12 very pretty glossies... Not bad, I guess.
on April 19, 2008
PRO: Nylon is a visual feast. Just looking through it is highly stimulating and inspiring from a design/artistic point of view. The lay-out is clean, fresh, and unique. There is a big emphasis on indie/alternative art, film, music, fashion, and literature. I found Nylon through a long internet search for an intelligent, artistic womens' mag, and it is just that.

CONS: NY-LON stands for New York and London respectively, which gives one a big hint about the target audience. Heh heh. I live in middle America, and I don't have access to the kind of brands, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. so touted by this magazine. One issue was exclusively centered around London... yeah, I can really relate. Not. Magazines like Seventeen are MUCH better about featuring merchandise and content applicable to females of every socio-economic background and location.

IN CONCLUSION: In my opinion, the positives highly outweigh the negatives. I don't regret subscribing. I always love getting my Nylon in the mail. Get this magazine if you want to subscribe to a girl magazine, but you don't want to go the usual cosmo, vogue, 17 route.
on February 6, 2008
After reading a few of these I realized that Nylon is just a rich hipster kid reference manual.
on February 24, 2008
I got this free the other day and I've been having a hard time getting through it. Expensive fashion and makeup, with some articles on music that focus on the band members' preference for skinny jeans. British cosmetic brands they wish were available here? Hotels with great spas? I'm not sure who the target audience is.
on September 17, 2011
I ordered mid-August and the first issue that arrived is september, which is great.

As for the actual magazine, nylon is my favorite American fashion magazine. While vogue has so many advertisements you sometimes forget that there's even any content, nylon is stuffed full of fashion, music, interviews, and it lasts me the whole month. I love it.
on June 29, 2007
My biggest complaint about the subscription service is that I ordered a subscription back in the beginning of April and have yet to receive a single issue. Being that it's now almost July, I find that kind of ridiculous. Amazon is now in the process of "investigating" the situation, but I know I'm not the only one that this has happened to. I've talked to others who have subscribed to Nylon (either directly through Nylon's website or through Amazon) and have had the same problems. Months later, still no magazine. I've also heard of a lot of people getting back issues instead of current issues in the mail. This has happened twice within the past year that I know of. Had I known about these things before I ordered the subscription, I would not have bothered.

The other complaint would have to be that the content seems to be going downhill a lot lately. True, it has a very cool layout and it seems vastly different from other fashion magazines, but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with their choice in cover girls lately... May was Lindsay Lohan, July is Nicole Richie. I suppose I would just hope that a magazine that is thought of as more of an alternative could come up with more interesting people to interview. I'm actually kind of sad that I bothered with the subscription after all... if I wanted to read about Lindsay Lohan (which I don't) I could go to the grocery store and pick up any number of other magazines that talk endlessly about her and her party pals. Surely there are more talented, interesting people within the fashion world to interview.
on May 30, 2011
This is the perfect magazine for anyone interested in the indie scene. You certainly won't find content similar to Seventeen or Vogue in here.

Nylon features some great indie artists. In the past, they've featured upcoming beauty gurus on Youtube, and did a really great spread on relatively unknown independent artists. Nylon is for the relatively unknown the whole way. And that's what makes this magazine so great-its originality. The music they feature, and and articles that are written are genuinely interesting to read. And this magazine is not just for teens, which is always a plus.

As for the subscription service, I have never had a problem. The issues arrived promptly when they said they would.

Overall, if you're looking for a good alternative to Seventeen or Teen Vogue because they all seem to recycle the same content, definitely give Nylon a try!
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2007
I decided to subscribe to this mag after one of my faves, Amber Tamblyn started writing a monthly column. Offbeat and never boring, Nylon brings you all the stuff that the other "fashion" rags skip over. Written for smart, web-savvy readers who want to know more than where to buy the next up and coming handbag. With a lot of collage-type pictorials, you'll never be bored. A lot of vintage stuff as well; "background checks" are great. Many web references for you to surf to as well. Defiantely a thinking-gals guide to fashion, media and music.
on June 7, 2012
I have subscribed to Nylon for a year, and I have no qualms with the magazine to date.

I would like to first address a previous review. One person said that she did not receive her first issue for several months, and when she did she received back issues, as opposed to current issues. I will acknowledge that I received back issues with my subscription, as well, but I have come to expect that from most magazines as of late (since I have had that problem with most magazines I have subscribed to). This doesn't really affect my feelings towards the magazine itself, though, because even older issues still have great, timeless content.

My first impression when I subscribed to the magazine came from the quality of the physical product. Most magazines do not provide subscribers with pretty, glossy, shelf-worthy issues -- they instead send a magazine that is made with lower quality paper than the magazines you would find on a store shelf. With Nylon this is not the case. Every issue you receive is just as pretty and glossy as issues you may pick up on a store shelf!

The content itself is wonderful. Each issue has a theme -- sometimes its a "music issue" -- where the cover story is on a musician and the majority of the content is music related (even the clothing hilights!). Other themes are either more specific or more vague, but the fact that each issue follows a different theme makes each issue of the magazine fresh and exciting. The cover stories themselves are usually about up-and-coming artists (musicians, actors, etc.), and though often the cover feature is about someone I have heard of, that person is not usually someone I would expect to see on the cover of a magazine (meaning she is not a long established A-List actress or Billboard Top 100 musician). Often I have never even heard of the person on the cover, and am pleasantly surprised to read about someone completely new to me (for instance, one month the cover feature was about the OTHER Olsen sister -- Elizabeth Olsen. Totally not what I expected!).

I also like that while a lot of other magazines focus on negativity, Nylon does not. Other magazines like to dwell on things that you might find in tabloids (such as an actor's personal "failures") or on sustaining negative self-image (by printing pictures of people who are not fashion savvy enough and picking apart their outfits), but Nylon primarily focuses on positive things. This felt like a very refreshing change for me! Nylon is also not trying to mimic Cosmopolitan Magazine by including lots of graphic discussions of sexual behavior, which I see as a good thing (not that I am against Cosmo for focusing on that area -- I am just sick of other magazines trying to become more and more like Cosmo by pushing more of that kind of content in their issues).

Finally, a disclaimer: though Nylon is covered with flashy bright, neon colors, it is not intended to be a "tween" or "young adult" magazine, as some previous reviewers seemed to believe. I think it can be enjoyed by teens, but the focus audience is more likely twenty and thirty-year olds -- or anyone interested in up-and-coming fashion and music scenes who have a bit more money to invest in these interests. Nylon does NOT only feature really expensive products, but they do write articles with the expectation that their readers have some money to spend on their personal interests, and most "tweens" only have allowance money... Just something to keep in mind.

In conclusion, I think Nylon is a great magazine for anyone who is not interested in the usual humdrum topics found in other magazines for women. It is also great for anyone -- you don't have to be a "hipster" to enjoy this magazine!