5.0 out of 5 stars NYPD Blue RIP
Recalling the depature of David Caruso, it seemed at the time that NYPD Blue was a lost cause. But just when things looked bleak, along comes Jimmy Smits to put his stamp on the show and help take NYPD Blue to a whole new level.
Published on June 18, 2004 by StevenJM

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect! But not quite!
We just tried to watch the 6th and final dvd of the NYPD Blue, Season 2 set we purchased. The dvd makes a loud humming sound that gets louder as it plays - though it does play, the noise is too distracting to keep playing. Other than that, the rest play fine.
Published on March 5, 2010 by Jeffery Milner

5.0 out of 5 stars NYPD Blue RIP, June 18, 2004
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
The turnover is handled superbly (and explained on the commentary for the episode "Simone Says" by David Milch) with Bobby Simone crossing out Kelly's name on the locker and writing in his own while the always excellent Dennis Franz (Andy) complains to the Lieutenant that this just can't possibly work out after one "how ya doin'?"
The entire set is great with the last episodes of John Kelly leading off the season. The set is packaged well and includes a few extras and insightful commentaries.
Why NYPD Blue RIP at the top? Because the idiots at Fox did not make enough money on the release of seasons one and two and appear in no hurry (and probably unlikely) to release any other seasons! Disappointing to say the least. There should be someone to complain to.

5.0 out of 5 stars NYPD Blue Season 3, August 7, 2004
Ron Gijzen "R o n" (Bonaire, Neth. Antilles) - See all my reviews
I found this on "tvshowsondvd.com", dated 7/01/2004:

They often say, "No news is good news," but that's not the case when it comes to DVDs. If a studio has been releasing a show on DVD and then you don't hear anything about a subsequent season, the assumption is that the sets were selling poorly and no further sets are planned. When Fox removed the January 13th listing for season 3 from their consumer site, things were looking grim for the series. We all assumed the worst: that Season 3 wouldn't be released.

Earlier today we got some good news from Fox; they plan on releasing the set, they're just looking for a good time to do so. With the TV-on-DVD schedule becoming crowded, Fox wants to find a release date where the title will get good exposure and sell enough copies so they can continue releasing the series. We don't know when that'll be, but we wanted to bring NYPD Blue fans some good news, since our previous news was rather depressing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best police dramas ever made!, February 13, 2004
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
NYPD Blue is one of the best police dramas ever made! What really impresses me is David Caruso is on the first 4 episodes of the 2nd season. It is sad that he left the cast after the 4th episode of season 2, but I found Jimmy Smits to be a very good replacement! The acting is just like real police detectives on this show. This show and "The Shield" are the two best police dramas ever made in my opinion. I highly recommend both of these DVDs if you are a big fan of police shows!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't lost its edge, August 25, 2005
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
I bought boxed sets one and two for my husband for Christmas last year. It had been a while since either of us had seen the early seasons of this show as they've never been repeated here in the UK since their first run.

We were quickly drawn back into the world of the New York detectives and spent a series of blissful nights enjoying revisiting all the moments we'd half forgotten. The series still holds its own against more recent examples of the genre, and certainly hasn't lost anything in the years since it was first shown. Gritty, poignant, dramatic and with charismatic characters you love and love to hate.

The special features on both sets were impressive - interesting and informative. Although I rapidly got tired of hearing them diss David Caruso, much as he seems to have deserved it with his obnoxious behaviour on set. Some of the interviews overlapped, but that seems to be common on most DVDs out there. For all that, I wasn't disappointed by the features, which is often the case, and found them well worth watching.

Enthralled with these, I blithely went online intending to order season three there and then. And to my dismay found it was nowhere to be found. Had never been released. I confess I don't understand this decision. Were it to be released tomorrow I'd snap it up.

Hopefully the rumours that it might finally be released for this Christmas will be true. It would make my gift buying for hubby so much more simple!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on Season 3!!!, February 27, 2005
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
I just bought Season 1 and 2 on DVD last week! I watched both of them and am wanting more... Where's Season 3, 4, 5...??? Does anyone know if they are planning on releasing the next seasons? I agree with the other post, the show is ending in 2 days. It would be a fitting and ideal time to release the next season. The execs really could have marketed it and advertised it on the final show's commercials.

But, anyways, these two DVD sets (1 & 2) are worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, even after all these years, January 21, 2009
This review is from: NYPD Blue: Season 2 (DVD)
I got into NYPD Blue thanks to a recommendation from my son. I'm now watching it 15 years late! The first series was brilliant, with Kelly and Sipowiz making an unmatched team. So when Kelly leaves shortly after series two started, I was anticipating the worst. Forget it - new cop Simone is terrific and the second series has just the right balance of gritty New York cop stories, a bit of love interest to keep thinks moving along, characters with real depth and acting of the very highest order. It has also stood the test of time very well. I bought my DVD used from an Amazon recommended supplier for a very low price. It is indistinguishable from new. Sorry I came to the NYPD party late, but it's well worth waiting for. I've already got Series 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 3 - Coming soon?, July 13, 2004
L G Skelton (Penruth, Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
It seems Fox are heading the words of all those fans out there desperate for season 3 and have said they are planning to release season 3 but as yet have no confirmed release date. Keep your eyes peeled and some spare cash to one side. Things are looking up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaiting Season 3... and the next... and ALL the rest!, August 19, 2005
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
I really enjoyed watching NYPD BLUE on TV, and probably only missed a handful of episodes throughout the series. I enjoyed Dennis Franz in many ways, how his character changed and grew during the series. I have bought and watched both season 1 and 2 on DVD, and have been forever waiting for the next season to show up, to no avail. I am glad to read now that there is hope of seeing them released. Especially since my wife of six years didn't get into watching NYPD BLUE until late in the last 2 running seasons... and she really got into it watching it with me from the beginning.
I have found that the DVD offered a great value, was sharp, and the commentaries well integrated into the set. In my opinion, it is well worth getting. We'll watch them again for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!, September 8, 2005
Pinktulip "Cat" (Chattanooga, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
I love NYPD Blue and this is the season that brings in Jimmy Smitts as Bobby Simone. (sigh)

Oh, I have been waiting for NYPD Blue Season 3 to come out and have finally received news that it will be coming out in January 2006. Keep your fingers crossed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More balls, and more heart, August 1, 2005
D. Ian Crutchley (Downpatrick, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NYPD Blue - Season 2 (DVD)
Season two saw the departure of the David Caruso character, and the introduction of Bobby Simone played by Jimmy Smits. It should be remembered that Smits was the original choice to partner Denis Franz's character of Andy Sipowizc, but because of committments to LA Law was unable to do so, and David Caruso got the part. It works because Smits embues his character with warmth, compassion, but with an underlying strength. The episode where he is introduced is brilliant, and the on-going progression of the relationship between the two leads is never anything less than believable.

Some reviewers express their preference for the Caruso episodes, but I have to say that for me they both work equally well. This plus the added bonus of Sipowizc's character being allowed to grow and have a personal life make series two compulsory viewing. Favourite episode? When Andy semi moves in with his new girlfriend, and she joins him in the shower, Cue one of the best lines in TV history - "Boy, that's sure going to be clean". Priceless!

Series three please!!!

P.S. Apparently when Caruso finished shooting his final scene he walked out the door of the precinct and hopped into a waiting cab to take him away. No re-shoot, no second take, and precious little loyalty to a show which made him a star. The words 'Prima Donna' never seemed to be more apt. Next move? Jade. Yeah right!

NYPD Blue: Season 2
NYPD Blue: Season 2 by Dennis Franz (DVD - 2008)
$29.98 $15.39