5.0 out of 5 stars NYX Cosmetic Eyeshadow base primer-03 skin tone
Published on January 12, 2010 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected....
Published on April 3, 2011 by Sophia Qureshi

5.0 out of 5 stars NYX Cosmetic Eyeshadow base primer-03 skin tone, January 12, 2010
I purchased this item as I did not want to bay $17 for the urban Decay primer. I was happily surprised, my item was shipped quickly. I have used it for the past 5 days and my eye make up has stayed on all day and not melted as it tended to do before. I use my finger to put it on, a little goes a long way. The skin tone color is good it is just a bit darker than my skin but that is fine as you do not see it after you make-up is on. It is very creamy and goes on very smooth. I have a feeling the little pot will last a while as only a very little is needed to put on your eyes. This is a nice product and I will buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars No need for expensive products! This is the best!, August 9, 2011
This primer is comparable to (if not better than) the $40 primers you can buy in department stores or from expensive lines. WORKS SO WELL. I have oily skin and I live in Houston where the humidity is always high so I've lived with eyeshadow creasing for forever... BUT this product changed everything. I no longer crease, run, smudge, or fade. Colors of shadows are true to what they are on the palette, they apply easily, and they blend smoothly. I have to use makeup remover or baby oil to remove my shadow now. Such a wonderful buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great base, long-lasting, November 11, 2010
let me start out by saying i have SUPER-oily skin. and by that i mean my makeup stays on for maybe 6 hours. i have always had a problem with my eye-makeup wandering and getting so wedged into my creases, you couldn't see the color at all anymore.
this is the first eyeshadow primer that i have used, but i am very pleased with the results:
1. it takes very little of the product for total coverage. i applied this with a small brush (it's a creme form) and it spread evenly.

2. the color is a little orange for my skin-tone, but overall not bad. you cover it with color anyway so it doesn't really matter, gives a better color than moist eyelids.

3. my eyeshadow without primer lasts about 4 hours, but with this it lasted over 10. i put it on at 6am, it's 6pm now and i have little creases of makeup on my eyelids. don't let this deter you from buying this product, as i said, my skin is extremely oily.

oh and the little pot it comes in was smaller than i thought it would be, but since it takes so little per application, it will go a looooong way. a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great primer, great price!, March 26, 2010
Nickey (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
I've tried the cult fav Urban Decay primer and this is just as good, yet tons cheaper. I love the skin tone color because it evens out my eyelid so you don't see the dark veins, since I don't wear foundation or concealer. Definitely a must try!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected...., April 3, 2011
I am an avid fan of the Urban Decay eye primer, but like most of the people here, I'm not a fan of paying $18 for it. I wear eye makeup every day, so I go through primer rather quickly and I wanted to see if there was another product that would save me some money and still provide me with the same quality primer. I saw some GREAT reviews for this product and was encouraged by the positive reviews on this page (Amazon). My verdict? This may work for some people, but it did not work for me. If you are like me and have oily eyelids, don't do this to yourself. If I apply NYX primer/base and apply my eyeshadow as usual, more often than not, at MID-DAY, the situation is as follows: My eyeshadow under my eyebrows is in tact, my definer is in place and my eyeshadow is in tact in the crease; however, the eyeshadow on my eyelid has COMPLETELY creased/disappeared. This is not what I expect from an eyeshadow primer or base. It does not matter what brand the eyeshadow is or how high or low quality the eyeshadow is - I've used M.A.C., Urban Decay, Lancome, Wet N' Wild and some cheap palette I got overseas. They all have the same outcome.

I'm not saying it's entirely negative - This may work for others with different skin types. It just does not work for me - and I wouldn't imagine it would work well for anyone with oily eyelids. Spend the extra $10-$12 and get the Urban Decay primer for use under your eyeshadow. This is NOT a replacement for primer. It's a base and in my opinion, it does not do its job as a base, forget being a replacement for a primer.

UPDATE: So I gave this product a try for a few more days after writing this review. Let's just say my initial review awarded this base 3 stars. I've now changed it to ONE. This is possibly the worst product I've ever purchased. The product actually makes my eyelids OILIER than they generally are. Seriously. Avoid this!!! I am not a cheap person when it comes to cosmetics, so it's a big deal when I say that I am incredibly sad that I can't get my $10 back on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, LOVE this!, July 16, 2011
I wanted a cheaper alternative to MAC and so after looking around I got this one. I love the applicator, extremely easy to use and coats eyelid evenly. I also love how awesome my eyeshadow pops with this underneath it and it stays ALL day with no creases even though I got creases with the more expensive MAC primers. Just make sure you have eye makeup remover because it works so well it can be hard to get off ;0) Wonderful product!

Update - I got a sample of TooFaced Shadow Insurance and was shocked to find that I got creases within a few hours of using it. It's way more expensive and didn't work half as well as the NYX, which I switched back to immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars NYX EyeShadow Base, April 28, 2012
This product works for me wonderfully. I am african american and my skin is classified as oily. This base is wonderful for making your eyeshadow pigments more vivid. It will crease however so you will need to use a good primer BEFORE applying this to your lids. Other than that, this is wonderful for anyone of any race to use!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 1, 2011
I just ordered a second pot of this for the inevitable time that I lose/break/run out of the first one. I didn't want to be stuck without it for a single day. I bought the skin tone one, and it's fantastic. A little goes a long way, and the container is so much easier to get the most out of than the Urban Decay product. I haven't tried any other color, but I don't feel I could improve upon the one I've used. My eyeshadow stays on all day, doesn't crease at all, and it really seems to make the pigment "pop". I've used it with both expensive and drugstore eyeshadows, and I'll say that you can really raise the versatility and quality of cheap eyeshadow by using this product.

I've waited two weeks before writing a review, and I've used it every day since I bought it. Its now become a permanent fixture in my make-up routine, and I'd be miserable trying to wear eyeshadow without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great especially for the price, December 8, 2010
I have been in the market for a new eyeshadow base for awhile now. I usually get clinque but I am a broke college student so i thought i would shop around. With shipping and handling i bought this product for about half the price i would pay at clinque. I have used this product almost every day since i have received it and i love it. The eye shadow stays on longer than it would if i didn't put the base on, it also makes the eye shadow easier to apply evenly when i have the base on. i definitely recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, May 25, 2011
honestly, I did not believe one bit that this would work. I know most base's crease after about an hour but this one does not! I have previously had Bare Minerals primer and MAC primer - don't get me wrong, they worked just fine, mac does harden after a while and feels like glue. This primer works just as well. And for the price! After buying this i wouldn't bother spending 18+ on any primer again, there is no point :)

NYX Cosmetics Eye Shadow Base