5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inexpensive Pop Filter - Highly Recommended
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:52 Mins
Published on April 22, 2010 by C. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Low Price means Low Quality
Published on October 1, 2009 by Frank Haas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inexpensive Pop Filter - Highly Recommended, April 22, 2010
This review is from: Nady MPF-6 6-Inch Clamp On Microphone Pop Filter (Electronics)
Length:: 0:52 Mins

The Nady MPF-6 Pop Filter is a great value, since it works very well and is a lot less expensive than some of the other manufacturer's alternatives. We have been producing professional instructional videos for several years (some are available on Amazon)for my wife's business, but we recently decided to offer our services to local businesses as well. That required us to put a little more effort into making our studio area more professional looking for clients, which meant replacing the double thickness of stocking stretched over a wire coat-hanger form we had been using as a Pop Filter.

It works very well for attenuating the sharper "P", "T", and "S" sounds that cause spikes when doing voice-overs. This is a well made unit that connects firmly to the microphone stand with a screw clamp (see my picture in "Customer Images" of this unit connected to our Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone (White)) and has an flexible neck so it can easily be positioned as needed.

I am very please with this Pop Filter as it works as expected, looks good, and didn't cost very much!

Highly Recommended!

CFH

4.0 out of 5 stars Every person with a mic should use one..., May 1, 2008
I have been into audio recording for a while now, and always wanted to get a pop filter, but never did. Always looked at the and said, how does that make a different. Well I finally opted for the Nady MPF-6, as it seemed like the name was well known and there was positive reviews. So let me say that Im sorry I have not bought this sooner. It really works well, it still passes very good quality of your voice, and any words that have that blowing effect is not picked up. In general it will cut down about 70% of any words that generally cause a spike in the wave form to be normal. It will make for much easier post editing.

The gooseneck design is sturdy, the clamp works excellent, used it on a Samson spider mount but clamp to most circular stands easily. I use it with a Samson CO1U microphone, very very please. One complaint is the screw that holds the gooseneck part to the clamp arm depending how you move the gooseneck will cause this to loosen, this is the only fault I have with the design, not major, but could have made that a more solid piece as I am not ware why one would ever need to loosed or adjust that park of the mount.

4.0 out of 5 stars It makes a difference. How much? Check out the video for a comparison, May 15, 2010
Length:: 0:59 Mins

The video review compares audio samples, with and without the filter, recorded using a Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone (White). It also includes some observations on this excellent product.

2+ year update: I've had the pop filter clamped to my Snoball mic for over two years and it's still good as new. (Not surprising since it's built like a tank.)

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews, accompanied by detailed videos, can take the place of first-hand experiences that are often lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and try to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and the video at least entertaining. If there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., July 6, 2005
It works fine. Comparing my vocal recordings before and after, you can tell the difference with the absence of those annoying vocal pops. It clamps onto any mic stand and you can contort it the way you want.

3.0 out of 5 stars Low Price means Low Quality, October 1, 2009
Frank Haas (Daytona Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't know much about pop filters except that I needed one. Having never shopped for one before I was unaware of the variety of types and quality. My local brick & mortar shop offered a 6 inch pop filter for $27 and it looked pretty simple. I paid about $16 for this one. The low price made me wonder what I would find in the box. I decided to try two different types of pop filter. After reading many product descriptions in this category I chose this Nady single screen type and a double screen type from Musicians Gear. I received this one first. When I opened the package, the screen mesh part of the filter fell out of its frame. I found that the frame could not be tightened enough to hold the screen mesh securely in place!! Not a good first impression. I made simple shims out of scissor cut pieces of rubber band and was able to reassemble the filter in a way that allowed it to stay together well. I figured for the price I got what I paid for. The gooseneck is substantial and holds the filter in place nicely. The gooseneck can be removed from the mounting clamp which is another cost savings to the manufacturer but can be useful to the user who doesn't need or want to use the clamp. The clamp is OK and is identical to the clamp on the second filter I bought. I thought the rubber "bumper" on the tip of the screw that secures the clamp to its mounting point was a bit small and too "squishy". Again, one gets what one pays for. In the end, this pop filter mounted with little trouble, seemed secure and provided the needed service. The screen mesh frame seems fragile to me and can fall apart easily. This is definitely a consumer product meant for a stable, unchanging installation. It is not a "professional" quality product and would not survive one trip outside the studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality POP filter, March 4, 2007
After reading the reviews I chose this POP filter over the other obvious choices. It works very well and mounts on my proline mic stand easily. One of the better POP filers out there the gooseneck holds its position fine unless of course you bump it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nady pop filter works great, October 14, 2008
The gooseneck stays put, the pop filter is effective, and the price is right. The mic-stand clamp is easier to adjust than the clamp on some other models.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pop screen for the price, September 3, 2008
D. Moore (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
Though I've only had the Nady MPF-6 for a few days, it seems to be a quality product. The clamp holds tight, and it seems to be big enough to fit a variety of mic boom stands. The arm is long enough to get it positioned easily. It's cheaper (price-wise) than the other pop screens I've scouted, and does a good job; probably as good as the [insert local music store]'s $30+ pop screens.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that the arm isn't quite rigid enough for the screen, so the screen has a tendency to slowly fall from the position you leave it. But, after a little adjusting, it stays in place fairly well. I would still buy this product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Something Funky Going On, April 19, 2011
GregoryEEEE (PA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this after reading the great reviews but like a few of the comments that are on here lately this thing is not good. Looked almost used when it arrived and the gooseneck stand is useless. Does not come even close to being able to hold up the weight of the filter. I would have returned it but I completely destroyed the package getting it open (which oddly had staples holding it closed).

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid pop filter, strong enough gooseneck, December 28, 2005
Steve Pavlina (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This is a solid pop filter, especially for the price. I bought it to use for my StevePavlina.com podcasts. My first couple podcasts were done without a pop filter, and I noticed some popped p's. With the pop filter the pops were greatly diminished. The gooseneck seems to be strong enough to hold its position, although it's probably easiest to simply adjust the height via the clip.

Nady MPF-6 6-Inch Clamp On Microphone Pop Filter