Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 19, 2006
I've been a musician for a good 20+ years now, and I just wanted something cheap to use with my home studio setup.

I was completely surprised by the solid construction and good sound of this mic. It's virtually indistinguishable from the numerous stage mics I've used, including my brief and unfortunate stint as a lead singer. (I really, really shouldn't be allowed to sing. Heh.)

I would (and may) order this item again with no hesitation.
44 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2006
I ordered this microphone for my band, and was surprised at its quality for its price. This microphone works great so far. I was not sure about it when I first saw it. However, the feature that bought me was that the cable converts from XLR (end that plugs into mic.) to a 1/4" end. This feature is great because you can plug the microphone into a small amplifier used for guitars and such. Also, you can plug into the "tape/cd" hole. This allows you to play something, i.e guitar, and use the micropone at the same time. I strongly suggest this microphone for aspiring singers. Great buy!
77 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2007
It's a decent mic for just a few bucks. It works adequately, and has an on/off switch, and an XLR connector.

It comes with a XLR-to-1/4 cord. If you're going to plug this mic into a mixer, be sure to get a XLR-to-XLR cord. The volume of the mic, when connected to a mono 1/4 jack with the included cable, was almost inaudible. With a XLR-to-XLR cord, it was at normal volume levels compared with other equipment.
33 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2011
I almost didnt want to buy these because the price is so low but wow they really sound great with the Behringer Minimix Mix800 karaoke machine on Amazon. Very impressed so far, just got them today so well see but the price cant be beat!! Now if I could sing good lol. I almost bought a 60$ Shure mic, Thanks for saving me a ton Nady!!!!!!

Update!! Ok I had one of my mics quit working and I see why there are a few people saying theirs quit working, its a pretty easy fix. The strain relief was not ever crimped at the factory, so whats happening is the cable is spinning and the conductors are touching each other causing it to short out and not work, simply remove the Phillips screw on the metal part that connects to the mic, slide the boot down to expose the wire ends and you can untwist the wires or if needed re-solder the connection and crimp the strain relief on the wire to stop this from happening again. There is is no need to buy another cord, just do what I say and you will be good to go.
on December 30, 2015
Short description: Once you receive this, open the XLR connection and crimp the wire (see photos) or it'll fail after only a couple of uses.

It's a good microphone, just poorly produced. I was searching reviews because mine just went bad, saw all the comments about a loose connector. Disassembled the XLR connector (the silver part of the cable that attached to the microphone), noticed the crimp was not tight and the wires crossed, shorting out the microphone. The cable wasn't crimped down well enough. Spinning of the cable caused the wires to short out and break loose. Manually crimped it with some pliers and soldered the wires back, works like new again. Pretty easy fix if you have a soldering iron, small Phillips screwdriver to remove the XLR connector and some pliers. Worth a low star rating due to really cheap Chinese assembly, but at least it's a fixable problem.

Gave it 5* so folks could see how to fix it before it breaks and save them from throwing it out. If this fix works for you please vote it as useful so that it'll rank higher and others will see how to keep it from breaking. Thank you!
review image review image
on March 11, 2009
Considering that it was this cheap, I have a hard time complaining. The microphone is fantastic for this price, even if hadn't come with a cable, its still priced well for this kind of quality. The outside of the handle seems to be made of electronically milled metal, it worked without a problem and it has an on/off switch. The sound that comes from it is not perfect in any sense of the word, but if you have a decent mixer and a XLR-to-XLR cable, you can equalize the problems (for instance, the low-cut switch on my mixer cuts most of the sound below 60-75 Hz so you get a better mid and high Hz sound). There is also minimal handling noise when picking it up, handing it off, or setting it down (obviously there is noise when doing so, but for a microphone this cheap, it is no reason to complain)

Though my review is mostly positive, I could not give it a 5 star rating for one reason: The cable. Others have already noted this problem (and i hope Nady is listening), the cable is of incredibly low quality. The XLR end of the cable is made of plastic; DO NOT be fooled by the picture! It may look metal, but its made completely of plastic (Even the clip is plastic! Bad idea on their part!) and is spray painted silver (straight out of the box, i panicked because i thought they spray painted the microphone, fortunately the microphone is actually black, no fake there). If i sold products, i would at least make every part as good as the other parts to ensure that there is no returns because of the cable and not the microphone. I also wanted to note that the label on this thing that says "StarPower" is sort of ridiculous, its okay to put a label that says the name/product# of the product, but leave dumb titles like StarPower out of it. People looked at me funny when i handed it to them.

Either way, the microphone is still worth the money. This is the first cheap microphone I have bought, but i will probably buy more since I tested the waters with this product. Note though, if you are buying this product, and you have the option to use XLR-to-XLR cabling, I highly recommend it. Some setups have enough amplification to make mono 1/4th" jacks loud enough, but XLR is generally a better type of connector/cable to deal with. Usually higher quality sound and less chance of the "Mouse Voice" effect (where it is too quiet to hear even with volume pumped to the max).

If you buy your own cable for this microphone, its well worth the price! Trust me, its a well made microphone with a bad cable.
on April 13, 2008
We purchased this microphone to use with our karaoke machine. We are very pleased with the quality and durability, especially for the price! Our 3 small children have each used it several times, and it is still working like it just came out of the box! How many things can you say that about?! As this is our first experience with microphones, I can't say how a more expensive product could be any better. If you are looking for a microphone that is durable and has great quality...this is the one to buy!
on October 7, 2007
I bought this with low expectations. I got what I paid for. The microphone is not too bad for recording, but the cable is where this product lacks. When recording this microphone will make popping and buzzing sounds as well as cut all output from being sent. This can be fixed with a new cable. I used this cable to record vocals and guitar. Overall if you want a cheap mic for just messing around this is it, but for serious recording buy a more upscale brand.
on April 12, 2007
Great sounding mic. Durable, built well. You do need to have some amplification to run it. Some sort of preamp. Computer users don't expect to get much sound out of plugging into your sound card only. Once you give it a bit of power it does a great job. It would be difficult for me to think that a better mic could be available for the fantastic price of this Nady.
on May 1, 2009
I originally purchased this for my daughter for use as a second mic for her Karaoke machine. Since then I have borrowed it for a back up vocalist in a band I have recently joined. Today I am online to purchase two more to replace the "professional" mic's supplied by another band member for the rest of the vocalists. The other mics are nothing but feedback generators, and sound far too thin compared to this Nady. This mic is not quite as responsive as my Shure SM58, but it's close enough for live music, and the price just can't be beat. This mic is nice and hefty, and the quality of materials used in construction is very apparent. Frankly, I don't understand how anybody can really be profiting from building and shipping them for this price. So far I haven't had any issues with the supplied cable, but if the professional in you can't tolerate the thought of singing through a 1/4" jack, you can use it with an XLR cable purchased separately. My only complaint is that it has a cheesy label wrapped around it just beneath the screen that absolutely screams "karaoke mic". To summarize: If you can't afford a $100 mic, skip everything between, and go straight for this one at ten bucks.