Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 3, 2016
story was a good thriller but somewhat overly complicated plot. i wish it slowed down enough to get more character development. fast read so worth the effort but i wish it were edited back to get more into the moral dilemmas posed.
on April 22, 2015
The second part of the book is much better than the beginning. I kept getting lost and had to review what I had already read.
on April 18, 2015
I loved the rapid pace. I didn't care for all the violence, though it suited the story. Well written mostly but could have used editing for details that sometimes not clear.
on December 7, 2014
Interesting characters and vivid descriptions.
on May 17, 2014
Totally without merit and dull. All rehashed nonsense. This is not the "thriller" you savor for a good afternoon read.
on May 12, 2014
He is not the best of writers. I like his father writing better. But it's nice to read of Nairobi. The plot with the genocidech in Rwanda is i bit difficult to catch in the end. Need a better plot
on October 12, 2013
I purchased this because my daughter lived in Africa for 2 years and I was interested in something from an east African author. It is a quick read and a pretty good story. Not spectacular but okay.
on August 21, 2013
Nairobi Heat by Mukoma Wa Ngugi

The setting for "Nairobi Heat" switches between Madison, Wisconsin and Nairobi, Kenya. When the author first takes the reader to Africa, "...the real Africa," I thought I'd stumbled upon a page-turning summer read:

"O veered off the main road and onto a dirt track and the city disappeared from view. We travelled on, headlights tunnelling through the darkness... then turned into a short, dirty street that ran between two rows of poorly built wooden houses... we almost ran into a dilapidated bar that proclaimed itself to be The Hilton Hotel."

Once inside the bar, the suspense lingers and the reader soon understands that darkness is a metaphor for evil that will propel the story. Mukoma Wa Ngugi lets us see and smell a seedy bar, and hear the cacophony on an overpopulated and narrow alley, but he does not write mystery well. As the novel unfolds, the plot doesn't convince.

For instance, neither the American nor Kenyan police conduct thorough investigations. To tie up loose ends, the author lets his cop characters kill off suspects at will and get away with murder; their superiors ask few if any questions.

Ngugi has created an ambitious imaginative premise, and I applaud him for that. Perhaps with more knowledge of police procedures it might have worked. Even if you have a low opinion of corporations, Ngugi would have us believe that a large multinational company like Shell has a totally corrupt board of directors, who are willing to exploit the horrors of genocide to make money.

Ngugi is a versatile writer, and in many places his words capture the mystery, beauty and complexity of Africa, including race relations. He has us look into corruption, violence and greed. He takes us into villages and back alleys. We meet Rwandan survivors, lovers, abused children, do-gooders, many bad guys with guns and a detective protagonist who, along with solving the crime, discovers the deeper meaning of life.

Yes, you often have to suspend your disbelief when reading fiction, but this mystery demands too much disbelieving. Written by Terry Baker Mulligan, author of "Sugar Hill Where The Sun Rose Over Harlem."
on August 21, 2013
There are very good books appearing by 2nd and 3rd generation African writers raised or educated or living, or all 3, in the US. This is a good murder mystery with many surprises and snapshots of Kenyans and Americans involved in aspects of both cultures.The characters are interesting although generally not presented in depth. The descriptions of aspects of life in Nairobi are amazing..One may be surprised also at some of the picture of Madison, Wis.!
on August 18, 2013
The story was interesting, the locale was all that I hoped it would be, but I didn't think it was very well written