5.0 out of 5 stars The Second Greatest Generation?
Published on October 9, 2004 by The Lone Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Big disapointment
I will start out saying that I respect the author for his service and the price he paid serving his country
That said I cannot give the author more than one star, thats for his service to his country.
The book itself er Boooooring beyong belief, we reach page 120 before the author even get to Vietnam, the first 120 pages is spend telling about growing up in...
Published on May 13, 2012 by Bo Hermansen

5.0 out of 5 stars The Second Greatest Generation?, October 9, 2004
This review is from: Naked in Da Nang: A Forward Air Controller in Vietnam (Hardcover)
Naked in Da Nang eliminates extraneous political discussion and opens a new debate: who are the boys we send to war and who are the men they become? What do the fires of conflict do to a man's psyche and how does he grow and change? This book makes no bones about the fact that combat changes a man, and its author freely admits that some of those changes are not for the better, but he also dispels the myth of the Vietnam veteran as damaged property. Jackson and his coauthor skillfully present a very simple but deeply moving account of a young man's journey from his midwestern "cocoon" toward an uncertain future that includes fear, trauma and a disabling injury. That you laugh through much of the book does not diminish its power. In fact, Jackson's self-inflicted humor seems to sharpen the impact of this brilliant memoir. Naked is as well written as anything on the market, and better than most. These two authors have done what once seemed impossible, they have made the men who fought in Vietnam seem like regular folks. Suddenly you see these men as true heroes, who not only answered their nation's call but did so at a time when it was exceedingly unpopular on the home front. Jackson and DixonEngle have painted the SEA veteran with a "greatest generation" brush and it makes for a surprisingly accurate and long overdue picture!

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be on NY Times Bestseller List, October 29, 2004
I am puzzled as to why this book has not been front and center in the Kerry-Bush debate. Although it does not take a political stand, it does cover thoroughly the character of the men who served in the unpleasantness of 1962 to 1975. Frankly, I am not sure it would make either candidate look good as it emphasizes the sterling qualities of those who actually served in Vietnam, and for more than a few weeks: those who lived day-to-day, crosing off each day lived-through and hoping for more. I had the great fortune to hear the authors speak recently and I have included here in my commentary from another web site. I can only hope that this book will outlive the political season and will offer more than a triumphant footnote to the contentious debate of late. I have just purchased additional copies for several friends who do not seem to understand what Vietnam was or who the men were who fought and died there. We had the good fortune to not only read this powerful book but hear its authors speak at a recent book event. There are many very good books about Vietnam. This is the best we've ever read from a personal perspective. Mike Jackson's warmth, humor and vitality helps you see how the average Joe adapts to combat and to the military in general. As good as the book is, it would make an even better movie. It is written in a manner that paints very clear images and holds your attention with every sentence. Listening to this couple speak is also a wonderful experience. Their conviction and patriotism rings very true. They have an entertaining back and forth routine that is both funny and sweet. Reading the book and hearing them speak is almost a celebration, something that is long overdue for America's vietnam veterans.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't realize these guys were normal, October 25, 2004
It is hard to admit that I never thought too much about Vietnam veterans or the whole Vietnam experience, except to believe what I saw in movies like Platoon or TV shows where it seems like the men who served in Vietnam are always troubled or haunted. I was raised to respect the men who fought in World War II and even those who went to Korea but Vietnam was something different. It was drugs and low lifes and torture. I never thought that the men who served there could have been brave or patriotic or all-around good guys. This book by Jackson and Dixon-Engle has given me an entirely new opinion of the soldiers of Nam. I feel stupid that it never occured to me that I wasn't getting the whole story. Like so many, I guess I only accepted what I was fed by newsmen and protesters. I don't remember much of Vietnam but I remember the aftermath and I remember always being very hesitant about meeting men who identified themselves as Vietnam veterans. I guess I was always waiting for them to snap. Naked In Da Nang makes me ashamed of that point of view and very proud of the young men who served during such a negative time. I will recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It has more heart and depth than just about anything I've ever read. It is like a love letter to the men who served, but not in an overly emotional way. Just the plain truth and one soldier's unique but typical (I would guess) experiences. Wonderful. I plan to reread it before I let my family borrow it. Great work to the authors. I will remember this story always.

5.0 out of 5 stars View from a non-vet, October 27, 2004
Mr. Jackson's book is an important read for anyone trying to get a first hand look at the Vietnam from an average American point of view. He is the guy next door, trained, certified and sent off to war to do a important yet lunatic job in a lunatic war. I now have a better understanding and respect for the Vietnam era vet. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Execellent Book, October 1, 2004
Mike Jackson and Tara Dixon Engle have written a book that gives readers a look at the individual warrior's take on combat. We not only ride alongside Jackson through his topsy-turvy Air Force adventures, we actually crawl into his head and begin to understand that soldiers are moved and motivated by the same emotions that influence us all. What a wonderful message to send to those who do not understand the military mindset.

These two show the readers through humor and insight the innermost workings of a soldier's mind. Thus it dawns on the reader that they might react similarly in a similar situation. By allowing his thoughts and emotions to be laid bare, Mike Jackson has done a tremendous service to our military. He has proven that one can be a career soldier, a human being and a combat veteran, all coexisting within one normal, rational and decent individual. These two need to write more books that create such a profound emotional connection between soldiers and "real" people. They have deveoped a formula that can and should lead to greater understanding. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars A special book, November 21, 2005
What a special book this is. It traces Mr. Jackson's experiences as a young man growing up in Ohio and follows him into air force training, pilot training and, finally, into combat. It does an excellent job of showing civilians what it is like to train for and experience war. I think it gives a more personal and even funny view of Vietnam than other books I have read of that era. It is also a timely book with solders once again marching off to war. Mike Jackson has my respect and appreciation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naked In Da Nang, September 19, 2004
Mike, I read your book with great interest. You may have replaced me in the 20th TASS, because you arrived just as I left. I found your stories not only accurate and very plausible, but your uncommon ability to relate the emotional impact of the Vietnam combat experience very moving. Your use of humor is superb, whether its source is your great upbeat attitude towards life, or as a means of dealing with the stress and pain of flying hard combat as a FAC. Your stories brought me back to that defining experience more than thirty years ago. Neither of us can describe our lives without relating the impact of those events as we entered adulthood. Your book taught me a valuable lesson - never take a shower during a hurricane!

Thanks for helping me remember the humor,

Tim Eby

Covey 540, 1970-1971

5.0 out of 5 stars A top shelf selection, November 23, 2004
I was not familiar with Naked In DaNang before a recent visit to Las Vegas and an opportunity to hear its writers make a presentation before a large military audience. They were clever and very inspiring. On this particular night they were celebrating veterans of World War 2. Their patriotic enthusiasm was moving and the audiences reaction told the whole story. These two genuinely care and are sensitive to their listeners. I was inspired to buy the book which I just finished. I can't say enough good things about how it addresses the neverending questions about vietnam veterans. If you have such questions or if you don't think you can relate to a war story, you have never read this book. Alhough I served in an earlier war, I have true respect for the men of the vietnam generation. It is hard enough to endure combat, but to come home to more of the same is just wrong. Men like mike Jackson need to have their stories told. Hooray for this talented duo for doing it perfectly. Welcome Home colonel Jackson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jackson and Dixon-Engel Rock!, September 15, 2004
Wow. A friend gave me this book because I am interested in the Vietnam era. It is probably the best first-hand account I've ever read. Plus, it really takes the reader into the real world of military training and pilot training. Mike Jackson doesn't come across as saying "hey, look at me I'm a hero." Instead, he seems sincere, really funny, and makes me extremely proud of the guys who served. And the fact that the book was co-authored by a woman (especially one that looks like that) blows my mind. She really gives the book heart and seems to understand both Jackson and the military. What a team and what a book! I know what I'm giving for Christmas this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want it to end!!!, June 9, 2005
Naked in Danang was some of the most fun I've ever had reading a book. It wasn't all laughter but it was all surprising. I did not expect a book on Vietnam or men in combat to be so down to earth. I confess that my impressions of veterans from that war have not always been very good. I have such admiration for colonel jackson for sending such a positive message. I am re-reading the book again because I just hated to put it down. I am waiting for a sequel.

Naked in Da Nang: A Forward Air Controller in Vietnam
Naked in Da Nang: A Forward Air Controller in Vietnam by Mike Jackson (Hardcover - September 2, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.29