5.0 out of 5 stars A truly wonderful series!
Published on May 15, 2001 by intentaccess

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging fluff
Published on July 23, 2002 by Sylvia F

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly wonderful series!, May 15, 2001
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Naked in death starts out a really great series! Nora Roberts writes these under the name of JD ROBB. I did just start this series as I read everything I can get my hands on from Nora. If you are a new reader, you do need to start with this book and work your way through. I didn't start here first and she really builds the characters through each story that if you don't start from the beginning you miss a lot. I went back and am now starting from the beginning. This series is not Nora's romance format. Of course there is romance in there! This series is a mystery style. It takes place in NYC in the year 2058. When people do travel " off planet" and prostitution is legal. Your car drives you and you have " auto chefs " in house, car , even your office. The way ROBB writes about the future this is truly believable. Lt. Eve Dallas is a tough woman. She is strong, independent, and she truly fights and believes in her job as homicide detective. In this book she finds her main suspect a billionaire name Roarke. He is very charming, Irish, has lived a little on the edge, rich, and good-looking! Eve has now found her match. Roarke didn't have the ideal childhood either and they make the most wonderful couple. This is an excellent series, and keeps you entertained and you don't want to put the book down. Robb does a great job in making the who done it a total surprise! I highly recommend this entire series you will truly be delighted It is awesome!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a great series, October 14, 2000
The "...in Death" series starts with Naked in Death a futuristic series set in New York City in the year 2058. The star of the series is Lt. Eve Dallas a tough as nails female homicide detective who fights for the rights of the victims of murder.
Eve finds the main murder suspect, a billionaire named Roarke who walks a fine line between legal and illegal, to be just a little bit too attractive for her comfort. He's Irish, gorgeous, and very charming.
This series is written by Nora Roberts under the name J.D. Robb. Don't confuse the romance novels usually written by Ms. Roberts with this series. The "...in Death" series is a far cry from her usual romance story. The series is excellent and I would recommend you read all the books beginning with this one, Naked in Death.

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging fluff, July 23, 2002
I went through the novel fairly quickly, and as long as you're looking for a fairly quick and easy read, you'll be fine. The characters are entertaining enough, the author has a knack for visual descriptions and the plot's not bad. Most of the new technology in the book is pretty appropriate - it gives us a bit of a sci-fi feel without giving Eve too much of an edge over what any cop would have now. (eg. They have a ridiculously responsive voice-recognition system yet Eve's car is a wheezing wreck.)
As for Roarke, the incredibly rich love interest, it felt as if the author was forcing his sex appeal at times. I found myself trying to find out Eve's powerful attraction to him, besides the physical. He forces himself into her life multiple times, going so far as to break into her appartment. His excuse *every* time is his concern over Eve, which gets a little thin after a while - as another reviewer mentioned, for someone as prickly as she's written she takes it fairly placidly. It's hard to beleive Eve wouldn't be fed up with it after a while. Roarke's just not as interesting as the author wants us to find him.
But all in all, it's a decent book. The murder culprit didn't really surprise me but it was still fun reading up to the mystery's revelation. I'm going to try a few more books in the series just to see where it goes.
If you're in an airport surrounded by Tom Clancy and Anne Rice and thinking they just aren't your thing, you could do a lot worse than Naked in Death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start For Futuristic Mystery Series!, January 5, 2005
"Naked In Death" is the first book in J. D. Robb's Eve Dallas mystery series. I have been hearing positive things about these books for a long time, and now, after reading this terrific novel, I understand why.

New York City, 2058 CE, are the time and setting of "Naked in Death." Robot drones and voice activated machines do menial work, i.e., clean house, serve meals; there is a total ban on guns, (the police use lasers); major improvements have been made in medicine and technology, with advancements in genetics (and strong genetic control); airbuses for public transportation have replaced subways; tele-links replace telephones - it's not a "brave new world," yet...but there are definite pluses midway into the 21st century. Minor armed skirmishes have taken place between China and the US, and France had another revolution which lasted for a few years. The overpopulated world has more limited resources - real coffee is rare and way too expensive, as is beef and other fresh meat. Robb has not written a sci-fi series, however. Far enough into the future to make the storyline more interesting, 2058's world is still easily recognizable.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD is called to a murder scene where a young licensed companion, (a legalized prostitute ), has been brutally murdered with an antique handgun from the 20th century. The victim, Sharon DeBlass, is from a very prominent family - her grandfather is a US senator. An angry man who preaches morality and leads an ultra conservative branch of his party, the senator would like to totally suppress the case, and perhaps even run the investigation himself. According to friends and relatives, Ms. DeBlass apparently chose her career not only because she liked sex, she did not need the money, but because she was rebelling against her family and strict upbringing. A note was found under her body with the printed words, "ONE OF SIX." So, was the perpetrator a serial killer warning that there were to be five more murders? One of the prime suspects is a sexy Irish billionaire named Roarke. We never learn whether this is his first or last name. Perhaps if one is a billionaire, especially a tall, dark and handsome, with an Irish brogue, billionaire, it doesn't matter. He is quickly cleared of suspicion, and he and Eve embark on a stormy, intense romance - but not before murder #2 occurs.

Eve, although a tough cop who made Lieutenant before the age of 30, is also very vulnerable. She doesn't remember the early years of her life, but knows that she was sexually, physically and emotionally abused by her father, then abandoned at age eight and left to the mercies of Children's Services. She has made her work her life, and letting Roarke get close to her is a first.

Happiness is discovering another excellent series - and from what I have read, this looks like a winner! The writing is tight, as is the plot - an excellent and complex mystery. I really like the characters, Eve, definitely, Roarke - who lives up to his description, Feeney, Eve's partner, and Eve's chanteuse friend Mavis. I can't wait to pick-up book two, "Glory In Death."

JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is unbelievable!, August 5, 1999
By A Customer
I could not put this book down. Eve and Roarke are the hottest couple in print today. I love the mystery but I love the romance even more. These two are so hot I'm surprised the book doesn't go up into flames in my hands. I have reread Naked In Death at least three times and it never gets old. The whole series is great but start with Naked and go in order because it's better that way. Roarke is the ideal lover. Rich, powerful, dangerous, sexy and totally in love with Eve Dallas. Now that is one lucky woman! Eve is a great heroine. She is smart, brave, independent and loyal. At the same time she has a past that makes her vulnerable, too. She is a real person not some flat character. I can not wait for Loyalty In Death to come out. The only bad thing is I finish them so fast. Keep writing about Eve and Roarke, Nora Roberts. Your fans will be forever grateful.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a Romance, not a Mystery/Thriller, September 14, 2013
If you like romance novels, you'll like this. If you're looking for a mystery/thriller you might look elsewhere. Really didn't like this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it, April 9, 2009
Nick Colosi "Nick" (Chesterland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
For the sake of variety, I needed something to read in between David Baldacci novels, and this promised mystery, suspense, action, and the like. Needless to say, it delivered none of this, but instead bore me to death for 160-some pages before I gave up, threw the book against the wall and went back to reading worthy authors.

Let's go over the many problems here, starting with the main character, I think her name is Eve but honestly I don't remember. She's this by-the-book, uptight, unkempt cop who cares nothing for the standards or modern society or beauty, and yet somehow manages to be beautiful enough that EVERY male character introduced first tries to hit on her. This is so cliche and doesn't make any sense. Second, we have Roarke or whatever his name is. He's a multi-millionaire with everything he could ever want, and every women in the world wants him, yet somehow he finds Eve to be the one that he can't live without.

The mystery is really just a sub-plot to a horrible romance novel, but even it isn't very good. Some guy decides it'd be fun to go off popping 6 hookers, which apparently is legal in the future, which brings me to my next point. This is supposed to be futuristic, and to compensate JD Robb invented some lame new stuff to make it seem so, like laser-guns and finger print supressing spray. However, it just so happens that our killer is an "old schooler" who uses guns instead of lasers, so in reality, it's not REALLY a futuristic mystery.

Even so, the investigation doesn't take long to deteriorate into a bunch of faux romance and unneeded sex scenes. After the third one, literally back to back to back, followed by the cheesy dialogue "Stopping a police officer from leaving is a crime, I could arrest you," and then "You weren't wearing you badge when it happened, or anything else for what matter."

Seriously??? Skip over this book, it's garbage. 2 stars for whatever the ending might have been.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak Plot Held Together with Gratuitous Sex, August 16, 2013
Bruce (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am a fan of both mystries and science fiction, so my girlfriend felt that I might enjoy this series. After reading the first book, I have come to the conclusion that it is much less mystery, much less science fiction, and much more an excuse for the author to write "juicy" sex scenes.

The book is supposedly set in the future. I believe the author's purpose in doing so was more to avoid having to research police methodology and procedure ... it's in the future, you can invent your own police force. As a man, I have a hard time with the notion that women would enjoy reading about men who come on so very strongly and refuse to take no for an answer, somethingwhich, rightly, would be called rape in the real world. However, the aggressive male character seems to be very popular among female readers.

This book has very little of a story to tell. There is no real plot to follow along, as the author uses "the future" and other shortcuts to avoid having to craft a story that supports itself. All the sex scenes do nothing to move the novel forward, the solution is hardly a surprise, and the whole thing is simply, to me, unbelievable. Assuming the rest of the series is similar cheap trash, I will not be reading any more of it. Fans of good mystery with strong female leads would be better off, in my view, checking out the Rizzoli and Isles series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic Murder, February 21, 2001
The book Naked In Death, by J.D. Robb is the first book of a futuristic series, taking place in New York City in the year 2058. Lt. Eve Dallas, a cop for 10 years, has dedicated all of her energy and most of her time toward bringing justice to those who are murdered and finding their ruthless killers. Eve has been put on a code five-murder investigation. One of the murder suspects is a suductive Irish billionaire, Roarke. Eve finds herself in a situation that she has never been in before. She has fallen in love. This causes a great deal of confusion and mixed feelings. Dallas is constantly jumping through hoops trying to get one step closer to cracking the case. She has to meet with the senator, interview suspects, go through testing, and deal with personal problems. Naked In Death is one of the best books that I have ever read. It fascinated me to learn that a female played the role of a very well respected homicide dective. The book is full of mystery and romance, which makes it a definite page-turner. It moves at a fast pace leaving no space for boredom. I strongly advise everyone who loves romance entwined in suspence to read this inviting novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Find!, December 26, 1999
By A Customer
I love this book so much! Ever since I discovered this series I have been rereading them over and over again. From Naked in Death to Loyalty in Death, I have enjoyed all 9 of these books (plus one short story), but Naked in Death is by far my favorite. Eve Dallas is such a strong, capable woman, and Roarke is sexy, rich, and so sweet. This murder-mystery/romance is steamy, surprising, and a keeper.

Naked in Death. J.D. Robb
Naked in Death. J.D. Robb by J.D. Robb (Paperback - November 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $7.16