Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Namaste
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 1, 2012
Nameste is an interesting album to begin with.

Although it might not work well, I encourage Kenny G to do more of these.

Why? you might ask.

Before begin my review, I understand that Kenny G wanted to reinvent himself and be creative musically. From his "the making of Classic in the Key of G" in "Live" DVD and interviews, he stated he wanted to do something different, interesting yet original. He understand his fans are getting mature as they grow. In the same time, he still need to please his hardcore fans who love his earlier music. It is very difficult to do both at the same time.

Ever since, my favorite Kenny G's album, "Rhythm and Romance" (Latin flavor) released. Many fans and critics were surprised by the different road he took. It sounded fresh and different yet contain the trace of classic Kenny G's vibe and techniques. All I can say is, I love it. Best of both worlds.

However, the other album, "Heart and Soul" released which targets at classic Kenny G fans does not capture me at all. It suffers similar problems in this album. The reasons are very technical rather than genre and style in my opinion. Besides, I don't really feel connected with the melodies in that album except one or two tracks. In his past albums, they have many great memorable(or emotional) melodies and improvisation/ Cadenza in them which is what Kenny G did best.

Surely, the idea of "Nameste" is very similar to "Rhythm and Romance". More like a follow up album. It sounded interesting at first. But the execution is uninteresting. "Nameste" the album contains several great unique Indian flavor melodies. They are track 1. Nameste, 3. Dance of Elephant God , 4. Lotus Lover and 5. Transcendental Consciousness. But it has too much repetitions in it. It does not offer much space for improvisations and jamming the song with his partner, Rahul Sharma.

Result, you have these great unique melodies lead the song in the beginning. When the song goes half way, you can pretty much predict what will happen next. The layout are very boring and obvious. Like, A is Rahul Sharma's part and B is Kenny G's part but the same melody. The songs are always go ABABAB, etc. I understand that there are sound contrast between Kenny G and Rahul Sharma. But I don't need to hear it 3 times in a row in one song. It happens most of the songs in this particular album. If Kenny G and Rahul Sharma are actually "Jamming" the music with improvisations or a bridge in the middle of the songs, it would have be an better and more interesting album as a whole.

At the end, I still encourage Kenny G do similar albums like "Nameste" and "Rhythm and Romance" in the future because it sounds fresher and different than the usual stuff we listen in both his career and America. By exploring different cultural music, it really open up your eyes , ears and taste. It's the same with food. Just make sure the layout and execution are better next time around.

P.S. This is solely my opinion. I know some hardcore Kenny G fans or haters can get aggressive. If you don't like my personal review. Please don't bash it.
on August 6, 2012
I have every Kenny G product ever put out. This one hit me totally by surprise. After listening to it a few times I think it is growing on me. At least I am still playing it. It IS REALLY DIFFERENT for those of you who are KG fans. It has some really new sounds and arrangements. Tell you what--it will expand your musical landscape, all right. GMM
on March 4, 2013
I have always liked Kenny G but haven't bought one of his albums in years. Then i heard Namaste. This collaboration with Rahul Sharma is different and grows on you with every replay. The music is very mellow and relaxing, and the complicated beat is a bit intoxicating. It sounds to me like they are using two drummers and it pulls you into the musical experience. Anyone imbibing in the forbidden herb will find it particularly mesmerizing. I read a few reviews where people said it was a bit repetitious but i love the way it all seems to tie in together. If you are looking for something a little off the beaten path of music try this. If CDs had grooves, mine would already be a bit worn.
on February 6, 2014
I am an avid Kenny G fan and has been for many, many years. He has collaborated with various artists, and I feel this collaboration is one of his Top 10 Best. Just listening to the sample songs for this CD sounds magical. The Saxophone and the strings sound glorious. Five stars for Kenny G and Rahul Sharma. Keep those sounds coming.
on July 23, 2012
I've been a Kenny G. fan from the very beginning. I've purchased every CD he's ever made along with every collaboration that was not on any of his CDs. This is, bar none, the worst CD he's ever put out. Recently I've gotten into meditation. As part of my practice I listen to "Indian" music. Most of the time, I'm able to relax and separate from myself. With this CD that was not possible. The music can only be described as annoying and counter productive to the relaxation process. I was not able to relax and let go and it was because of the music I was listening that was playing.

Whether you are a true Kenny G. fan and anxiously awaiting his next release or a mediation newbie thinking the combination would go great together (Kenny G. music and relaxation), save your money. Don't spend it on this CD. Too bad I can't return it for a refund.
on May 25, 2013
Over the years I had tired of Kenny G style, it appeared (when I stopped listening over 10 years ago), all his songs sound pretty much the same. However, I was pleased to see since I have been gone, that he has taken somewhat of a different direction.
on December 29, 2012
I was so excited to receive this CD as a Christmas gift, but was so disappointed in the sound. It is great if you like chanting in another language with a sprinkling of the sax sound. I have several Kenny G albums and was totally expecting the same style and choice of great songs. There is maybe 2 songs that I would listen to again.
on March 27, 2013
I was at Kenny G's concert recently and loved every single bit of it , it was worth every penny I paid for,great experience,but the CD that I bought same day " Namaste " with trust and full confidence in Kenny G and his taste in choosing the artists he would team up with to create a new CD made me not think twice and pay twice as much the price listed on amazon , I am sorry to say that I really feel cheated on and sad at the same time to see a great artist producing such a boring and silly music, I am not sure if he had listened to it himself? Please Kenny G. don't do this again or if you do it make sure you meet the same standards you gave us always, we still love you and think you are unique and perfect musician, that is why I take it very serious and I am not happy at this time. Your Caring and Loving Fan, Suzy
on July 25, 2012
Hmm... I love Kenny G's music. He has a grove you can fall into like a fur throw on a cold summer night, while sitting in front of a warm fire with the one you love. But, I'm not feeling him, here. I'm trying to see the point of this? I can't connect to it... I feel disconnected on so many levels. He's excluded many of his loyal masses here, which is odd, because Kenny G's music has always been so universal... I don't like.
on August 13, 2012
With a title such as Namaste and an artist such as Kenny G, I would have expected tracks that were mellow and conducive to playing while practicing Yoga or meditating. Not so. There was more of drums and sitar sounds than the lovely sound from Kenny G. My fault for not listening to the CD first. I just trusted that all Kenny G CD's were mellow.