4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Awaited Mystery with an Electrifying Twist!
Published 24 months ago by Joe

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and challenging
I have enjoyed playing every Nancy Drew game, but found this one excruciating. Too much back-and-forth to rooms, up and down the rickety elevator, turning around awkward corners, changing day to night, etc. The puzzles generally fit with the theme of the game in terms of being technology/science-based, but were the wrong combination of difficult and tedious. I did like...
Published 15 months ago by Rosabelle

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long Awaited Mystery with an Electrifying Twist!, October 27, 2012
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
When it comes to Nancy Drew games, I have played them all. Starting with Secrets Can Kill, I have solved every puzzle, exhausted every conversation blurb between characters, called all phone friends, and even beat the games more than once. I guess you can call me a Nancy Drew Veteran (Or crazed fanatic, take your pick.) When I finished "Tomb of the Lost Queen" last year, I had mixed feelings on the game overall. The plot felt rushed and the characters weren't developed enough. Something was missing.

When I saw the Teaser for the Deadly Device, I have to admit, I was a little skeptical. After all, science and I don't really mix too well. When the game finally came out, I pushed that thought aside and bought it. What I got, was not what I expected...but better. Better than the fan favorite, Curse of Blackmoor Manor? That's for you to decide. In my opinion, Deadly Device comes pretty close.

If you are looking for a Nancy Drew adventure that truly imitates the style of what made the original games enjoyable, then your search is over. With Deadly Device, I felt like I wasn't playing a Nancy Drew game at all. For the last decade, HeR has shifted their game's audience to a younger generation. In this electrifying 27th installment of the series; however, they are calling back their veteran fans, listening to our requests and removing the childish mini-games and monotonous chores. This welcoming return of the classic Nancy Drew that we all know and love comes across as very nostalgic and refreshing.

Another thing that I liked about the game was that HeR focused the mystery solely on the development of the characters. While the classic Nancy Drew games used backstories to carry the plot, Deadly Device lets the historical Tesla references take a back seat. Instead, the game is entirely focused on story driven gameplay. I found each of the suspects to be very unique, mostly because they all had good reason to kill Nico. I found myself suspecting multiple characters, especially when discovering new evidence.

In terms of the gameplay, Deadly Device does not disappoint. Unlike the previous games, Nancy can now combine various items to solve puzzles. While the ratio of table puzzles to item integration ones is still much larger, I did like that HeR is making more use of Nancy's new inventory system.
One of the recurring features in the game is the Day/Night mode. Whenever Nancy wants to explore the various areas of the lab, talk to certain characters, or solve time-related puzzles, she'll have to go to her bedroom and change the time. This in itself did make the game feel less linear and more open to the player's input. In my opinion, I found snooping at night to be much more scary than in the morning.
The soundtrack in Deadly Device was also very memorable. I liked the Research and Discovery themes since they made the tone of the game less disturbing and more cheerful in such a grim location. The Danger Themes were also very well made and never ceased to scare me.

So why did the game not receive a full "5 star" rating? Like anything, nothing is perfect. There was a few things that I still didn't understand...
At the beginning of the game, your boss tells you that power outages happen very frequently throughout the lab. This only happened in the game once. Why include that tidbit of information if it doesn't affect the storyline whatsoever? In my opinion, it would've been best taken out.
Throughout the game, Nancy keeps a box of evidence that contain key items from her investigation. While this was a cool idea, Nancy doesn't do anything with it. Why not bring it back to her bedroom and make suspect board out of it like in Alibi in Ashes? Nope, it just sits there, collecting digital dust in your inventory.
Another issue was the game's achievement system. After solving the case, it shows me all the possible achievements that I could have won. Why show me the achievements after I beat the game? It would make more sense if the achievements were accessible at the main menu, that way players know what to do and look for them as they play. I know this may seem like an afterthought, but HeR should definitely reconsider this feature if they plan to keep using it.

Overall, Deadly Device was definitely a fun Nancy Drew game to play. The characters were definitely more developed than they were in Tomb of the Lost Queen. The plot in Deadly Device was also much more engaging as it was scary. I would definitely recommend this game to any Nancy Drew fan or adventure gamer looking for a good challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electrifying Nancy Drew Installment!, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
Like many other reviewers, I would say that I'm a "Nancy Drew Veteran." Although I haven't played all of the ND games, I have played a good number of them (20/27). Most of the 20 that I've played have been fun and intriguing, so I feel that my expectations for HERInt. are pretty high now. They definitely didn't disappoint with this game!! I'll be splitting my review into pros, cons, and "neutrals", and there will be NO MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS! Note that I will comment on how I thought the ending was, and though I won't mention any character names or other specifics with this part, you still may want to avoid reading it, so I'll put it at the very end and make it clearly distinguishable.

Pros
-Graphics: Ok, so HER does a pretty good job with graphics with all of the games, but the graphics in this one are particularly AMAZING. The environment has a sense of reality that I haven't noted with other games. Although the people aren't as well done as the environment, they still look great. Even people who saw me playing were amazed by these graphics.
-Music: I really enjoyed the music with this game! I think music can make or break the game playing environment, and HER was spot on with the music this time around. There were creepy/scary tracks, but also upbeat tracks that made you feel like you were on the verge of a scientific discovery.
-Plot/characters: This is the second time that Nancy is taking on a murder mystery! I love that HER wasn't afraid to go into the darker side of things with the plot for this game. Rather than something less realistic like lost treasure, this plot had a lot of realistic elements to it in terms of character dynamics/relationships. The characters were all interesting in their own way, and it was cool to feel like a detective while trying to look into everyone's back story.
-Learning aspect: In recent games, I feel like HER has been focusing less on having people learn about the playing location or relevant plot items like we see in games like the Scarlet Hand, but in this one I felt we got a lot of interesting background info. You learn a little about Tesla, and a little about the science aspect of things, which I enjoyed.
-Scare factor: I think a lot of reviewers would probably put this in a neutral or con for this game, because there wasn't TOO much scary. But for me, I felt like it was just perfect. There were some scary and exciting parts, but this game was not nearly as scary as Shadow at the Water's Edge, or even the Captive Curse. Probably because this wasn't about ghosts or monsters. But I still had moments where I was like, "If I go into this room right now, will someone be waiting there to attack me!?!?!"

Neutrals
-Interface: I believe this new interface came in with Tomb of the Lost Queen (haven't played that one.) It was a little disconcerting to have a new interface, but it was easy to get used to. It did somehow feel more organized with the inventory, and felt more compact as well. I guess I wasn't amazed with the interface, but I wasn't disappointed either.
-Puzzles: The puzzles in this game were, for the most part, of easy-medium difficulty. I noticed that HER is starting to reuse some of the puzzles from previous games (i.e. the "colored glass puzzle" from the Captive Curse, the "3D diagram" puzzle from Waverly, etc.) There was maybe one puzzle that I absolutely hated because it took a long time to solve, but aside from that I would say the puzzles were fairly standard.
-Minigames: The minigames didn't really do much for me. There really are only 2 (Aggregation and this matching game), and only Aggregation is necessary to beat the game, but both aren't particularly fun enough to make you want to play them over and over again.

Cons
-Small Exploration area: Compared to some of the other games, the Deadly Device does have quite a small area to explore. You're in a single building with only 2 floors, with about 6 sub-areas to explore (the lab, lounge, tech workshop, security room, Niko's room, and the office). Although the lab has separate rooms within it, on a whole there wasn't too many places to venture into and explore. This wasn't too much of a disappointment to me, because the game was full of other wonderful things, but it might have been cool to be able to get outside of the building. It IS set in beautiful Colorado, after all..

***ENDING COMMENTS (No major plot spoilers)***
I personally enjoyed the ending. Although there isn't a "big reveal" at the very end like many of the games (you find out what happens a bit before the end, actually), it was still exciting and suspenseful. It is a bit challenging, but rewarding in the end.
******

Overall: This game was extremely well done, and went far beyond my expectations when I saw the trailer. I thought it might get bogged down in the science aspects, but the game was perfectly well balanced. It was so good that I immediately started a new game once I finished the first time around!! I would even go as far as saying that it might be my favorite ND game to date. HIGHLY recommended for both ND fans and anyone else who is curious about the game!!

Other recommended ND games:
The Secret of Shadow Ranch
The Phantom of Venice (maybe my second favorite after this game)
Shadow at the Water's Edge (scariest, I think)
The Secret of the Scarlet Hand
The Haunting of Castle Malloy
The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
Treasure in the Royal Tower (older but pretty classic ND)
The Captive Curse

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, A Great Nancy Drew Game, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
After being disappointed with the last six Nancy Drew games (especially Tomb of the Lost Queen), I am glad to say that The Deadly Device is a terrific game, and much closer in style to the older games that we all love. The characters are great - they are very real and relatable. They make this game, and their development is well done! And I love that the character development is crucial - if you don't ask the right questions, you will get stuck (which I did, and had fun doing so - it's realistic). Also, this game doesn't skimp on items, and how they're used (which is refreshing). Finally, the new gaming format and graphics remain great, and they don't take away from the story line (like they did in the last game).

The reason I did not give this game 5 stars is because I personally would have loved to have more places to explore (and explore more thoroughly). Going between the few rooms at the lab got a bit redundant, and even though you find another area towards the end, it's a little anti-climactic. I would have loved a passageway near where Nancy is sleeping, or a way to explore the "closed off" areas, or even just a walk outside... And I would have loved to be able to explore every inch of each room, not just a few important spots. Of course I wouldn't expect important items to be found in each nook and cranny, but the ability to look anyway would be nice.

Despite my personal preferences though, this game is great, and I would recommend it to long-time Nancy Drew fans, and newcomers alike. I have now played 19 of the 27 Nancy Drew games, and out of those 19, I have only kept (and replayed) 8 games. I am happy to say that The Deadly Device is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nancy Drew and the Science of Mathy Science!, November 3, 2012
J. Hanses (Bethel, CT United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
Nancy Drew's first killer case since the beginning of the series is well worth it! It has a nice blend of puzzles and story, and engaging characters.

You are stuck in a lab in the middle of Colorado, recommended for the job by an old frenemy who is on duty as a phone a friend, along with Frank&Joe and your client du jour, Victor. Victor's business partner, Nico, was killed by his own experiment with Tesla coils, and though the cops have investigated the employees at the lab, the results were inconclusive. Victor wants you to find the culprit and lift the dark cloud surrounding the company.

And so you meet research techies Mason, Ellie, and Ryan, as well as security consultant Gray. Your relationships with them will pivot upon how you respond to them prodding about what you're doing there. This gives you a nice 4/5 suspects.

Meanwhile, you're not allowed into the actual lab until you manage to break in, which is crucial since it's the scene of the crime.

As for the puzzles, a good number are organic to the story, as Nancy uses equipment to further her investigation. I was a bit disappointed that the history wasn't used as much since that's my preference, but as an educational game, teaching you the basics of how to use various pieces of equipment and maintaining lab safety is well handled. And, given HER's focus on games for women and girls, this is the sort of thing to encourage those in scientific and mathematical fields.

The setting and graphics aren't as inspiring as previous games. Everything is kind of dingy. But that's what happens when you contrast metal equipment everywhere with a brightly colored Egyptian temple.

I'd recommend it for a Nancy Drew fan or someone who was more interested in the science and mathematical fields. Those who are more "fair weather" in their game choices might not enjoy it as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC!, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
As a Nancy Drew fan, I had quite high expectations for this game. Well..... it does NOT fall short!

I will not give spoilers out (because I have had several games ruined by reviews!), so I will try to keep this review spoiler-free, concise, and helpful to those wanting to buy the game.

TOP FAQS:

Length: The length of this game varies. How much will you cheat? If you do not cheat, this game should last around 8 hours.

Story plot: Runs smoothly throughout the game. Unlike some of the other Nancy Drew games, Nancy stays completely focused to the story on hand!

Puzzles: Easy to medium. As a person who does not know that much about science, I can honestly say, this game does not have puzzles that require a PhD in electrical engineering or physics. Also, the puzzles are not dumb ones where Nancy is just being a runner girl, they actually have reason!

Characters: At first, I despised them. But with time, several of them actually grew on me. They all have great character development by the end, which is a thumbs up for me.

Villain: The bad guy, Charles I-gotcha (just kidding! I am not giving the criminal out!) is honestly very hard to guess. I honestly did not know who it was until quite late in the game.

Old game nostalgia: The snooping is back, baby! That is right, that old element from the older games is back! I do not want to give anything out, but I had an exciting time snooping :)

Scare level: If you play during the daytime, it is only moderately scary, in my opinion. If you play at night with the lights off, alone in your room, it is definitely more scary. The end is where the real scares come in at.

Replay value: If I am completely honest, I do not find any of the adventure series' Nancy Drew games to have any replay value for me. To me, the games are similar to books - once I find out what happens in the end, I do not touch them again. (Apart from the Dossier series! The culprit can change!)

TOP PROS: The game is considerably long, the plot is stuck to, the characters develop nicely, the villain has you stumped, the new hint system (it ROCKS!), and the snooping!

TOP CONS: Location and replay value. The area felt too cramped for me. :( I like HUGE places to explore! I do not care if most of the rooms are empty, but I like to feel like the area is big and real.

Next game: The teaser said that the next game is The Ghost of Thornton Hall. Looks like a more scary game, but I cannot give the specifics. :)

Okay, so maybe this was not concise as I wanted..... hopefully it is still helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised ..., November 9, 2012
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
I was kind of wary to purchase this game because I wasn't sure if it would be very fun, but it was! I really like the new game interface. It's true that there aren't as many places to explore as in some previous Nancy Drew games, but I thought the puzzles were really fun (plus not insanely difficult to solve) and I enjoyed the characters. I've played all the the other Nancy Drew games and I have to admit that this is one my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another wonderful Nancy drew game, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
I have played all of the Nancy Drew games up to date ( most more then once ) and was very pleased with the Deadly Device, though the environment wasn't as large as in some of the more recent games there were plenty of events to keep you on your toes. Good luck detectives!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST. NANCY DREW. YET!, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
This game was incredible! I've been playing these games since I was a pre-teen and this is by far the best yet. The puzzles were amazing, the twists and turns were GREAT, and I honestly LOVE the central idea because I'm a big Tesla fan! I loved most that I thought 'oh, it's about to be it!' about 5 times before it was ACTUALLY the climactic sequence. It was just phenominal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!!!, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
I have been a fan of Nancy Drew since I was 6. This game is really good and had a surprising ending!! Can't wait for the next game!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Nancy Drew, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device (DVD-ROM)
I was not disappointed. I try to buy every Nancy Drew that comes out. This story helped me enjoy the life of Tesla the electrical genius while solving a case. Surprise ending for sure! Interesting allies to help give hints. Puzzles were fun to solve. Games were classic and it was fun to compete with the character in the story. I look forward to the next Nancy Drew!!

Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device
Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device by Her Interactive (Mac, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard / OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Windows, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$19.99 $18.49