Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Style: Cubed FoamColor: BlackChange

on May 10, 2010
I recently purchased a Nanuk 925 case with foam and I could not be more pleased. Being that I have been a die hard customer of Pelican for many many years I was very skeptical of what I might be getting myself into. However, after looking at the specs of these cases and style I thought I would give it a try. Well, let me say these cases blow away Pelican. First off the latches are incredibly easy to use and I can open them with one hand. The handle also folds down which I never really thought about until I did it and I was able to fit the case in a storage compartment in my closet. Also the case is simply much better looking. I have invested a lot of energy into making a decent presentation when I show up for a job and these cases just look better and I can stack them! I opted for the case with foam that is basically the same as all the other cases I have ever gotten with foam inserts.
Consider me converted.
on December 20, 2011
I believe this case exceeds its rival Pelican! GREAT price! The whole case is very sturdy and the latches are great! I am using this for camera equipment--a camera body, grip, 3 lenses (including a 70-200mm), and Speedlight. In the 925, if laid out right, you can fit those with plenty of padding. I was lucky to get this on the Black Friday event and paid even less! (LUCKY ME!) I would purchase again though at full price. High recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2013
I ran out of room in my Pelican 1510 and I was looking for something to hold my manual focus lenses and other pieces of gear. Pelican cases are expensive and I was looking to do a little better cost wise. I found Nanuk, which I had never heard of before, via the internets.

The Nanuk 925 case is similar to Pelican in features, with a few differences: The latches are of a better design, they will probably save your gear if they open somehow during a fall since they have an extra "safety" on them--even if latch pops, the case won't fall open. The handle folds into a locked position which is nice. Plastic seems softer but not sure if it is weaker. This case does NOT have the metal lock reinforcements like my Pelican. The padded dividers have less padding. The overall "outline" of the dividers is just as thick--sides and bottom--but the individual dividers are thinner. The divider system is much more customizable than the Pelican's due to the fact that the entire bottom has velcro and there are more/different sizes of dividers. However, the dividers, while better, are still not perfect. Two of the long ones only have velcro on one side and thus the case is not as customizable as it could be...

I shoot Pentax and I was able to fit the following gear in the Nanuk 925: Pentax DA 14mm f 2.8 w/hood, Sigma 28mm f1.8 w/hood, Pentax A 28mm f2.8, Pentax FA 35mm f2 w/hood, Pentax FA 50 f1.4, Pentax F 35-70 f3.5-4.5, Pentax DA 18-55 f4-5.6 AL II w/hood, Tamron 28-105 f4-5.6 w/hood, Pentax A 70-210 f4, Metz AF-58 Flash w/case, Pentax 28mm lens hood w/case, Hoya 49mm ND8 filter w/case.

That amount of gear filled the thing and I had two of the small dividers left over. I set it up as seen in the photos except I used the small dividers to sub divide the top right compartment into 3 sections for the 18-55 and 28-105 zooms and the 28mm lens hood and the bottom right section into one long portion for the 70-210 zoom and the hoya filter.

The 925 is about the size of a regular, full-size briefcase in all dimensions. This means you have little depth for larger lenses. In other words, you will have to lay the longer glass on its side. In my configuration all of the short glass was stuck in vertically with the exception of the 70-210 zoom. The flash also was placed on its side. I do not believe you could put a DSLR with grip in this standing up, it would have to lay on its back and thus take up more room. A DSLR without a grip/battery pack (Pentax k100d, k20d) would fit standing up. To compare, the Pelican 1510 is much deeper and you can put some telephotos in it straight up--I have a Takumar 200mm f4 and a Pentax FA 100-300 f4.7 in that case and they fit straight up and down, my k20d DSLR also fits in there with grip straight up as well.

Clearly, Nanuk is just as high quality as the Pelican, with some additional improvements. Their prices seem a bit more reasonable and they have sales--which I never find with Pelican. I like this case, but as always I wish I would have got a bigger one!
on July 9, 2010
I often take my camera out on my boat during the summer months and needed a case that could withstand the water and moisture on a daily bases. While at my local Camera store I ran across the Nanuk cases. You might wonder why I did not go with Pelican, the answer was simple, I broke my nail trying to latch the case. Really! The case has worked out perfect and the latches are a dream.
on April 2, 2012
These cases are big, durable and sturdy. However they aren't overly heavy thanks to the "Nanuk NK-7" resin which is an excellent product and a massive advantage compared to other safety cases that make use of Silver coloured Stainless Steel or other bulky materials.

The interior of the Cubed Foam version is also excellent at keeping valuables like watches or jewellery, or more fragile items such as a camera or lens and other items that may need protection inside a case from scratches and other hazards. The Nanuk 925 does this by making use of a soft pre-scored cubed polyurethane foam that lines the interior of the case, this foam is very easy to remove and you're able to customize the case in any shape you want to keep your valuables safe and secure.

The waterproof design uses claw like latches that are easy to open and close and this compliments the waterproofing and overall design of the case.

In conclusion if you have any concerns about the Nanuk 925 or other Nanuk cases you can keep them rested because this is one purchase you won't regret. Personally I have purchased multiple cases, I use some for storage and also transportation of valuables and they are great at what they do. A very satisfied customer.
on July 13, 2012
For my job, I use precision equipment (laser & targets) at various sites. The equipment originally came in a large, unwieldy box that I always had to get help to move around. And I didn't like to leave the most valuable pieces sitting out in the open overnight, so I needed a way to pack up and easily carry several parts.

This case fits the bill extremely well. It comes with several layers of 1" thick foam that are perforated in 1" cubes for easy customization. (Actually, that part was pretty fun to do.) All of my most delicate and expensive parts are fully encased with foam for good shock protection. That protection has been tested a few times when the case fell off a hand cart or got dropped as I attempted to navigate a turnstile - all of my equipment is in good condition except for a few dings that happened during actual use.

The case itself shows very few signs of wear, so I expect it will continue to be a good investment for years to come. I especially like the orange color - it's bright enough to catch my attention at the end of a long workday, so I'm not likely to forget it as I'm heading out.
on March 8, 2011
We use these cases everyday to hold amp meters for our business. Does a great job and is lighter than some competing brands we have used.
on July 21, 2010
This is the coolest case, I appreciate it for it's looks and functionality. It's a more contemporary design to the standard hard/water tight case (you know who I mean) smoothing all the edges and parts. Not only does it have a great presence on my set, but it keeps the bruising down when carrying it. I use it for my cinema gels when shooting video. It locks tight and securely, protecting my valuable glass filters. I love this case.
on February 8, 2013
There is a brand name case that costs much more, but for most uses, this one is more than adequate. I purchased a graphite color which is nicer than the usual all black. Over all good buy.
on September 21, 2013
this case is a lot lighter than the traditional pelican cases. the latches are also really nice and easy to operate. had it for a couple months and so far its been good

I bought this one with the diced foam and have to say its 100% than peilcan's foam. the big difference is that the precut sections really only cut about 25% of the material as opposed to pelican's that more like 75% cut. this means this foam should stay together rather than fall apart like the other guy's.

not sure if this will stand up to constant rough handling by airlines, but a trip or two should make it obvious. when ever I ship pelicans the airlines always manage to nick out deep scratches or peices of corners, it'll be interesting to see if this holds up as well.

its also nice to be able to have a range of colors to pick from rather than pretty much black.