Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 11, 2014
I've been using the Narrative Clip for a few days now and I love it. I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of sample photos before buying and I'm very happy with this product. I feel a lot of the reviews are harsh. People need to remember that this is the first version of this product and it will only get better with time. I feel it's pointless to have the Clip on all the time while at work or when doing mundane tasks, instead I clip it on when I go out and about. I've gotten some great shots while bike riding or just walking around a mall. It's true that indoor photos are grainy, however I typically turn them to b&w with instagram and increase the sharpness and it gives the photos a very nostalgic look. Being an avid photographer, people would often get irradiated with me always pulling out my iPhone to snap shots or lugging around an SLR so this has corrected the issue.

I find that clipping the Narrative to my sleeve is actually better then in the middle of a shirt/jacked like recommended and I get more straight on images. I decided to go the rout of not using the software and uploading to the servers, instead I just dump the images to a temp folder on my desktop and weed out the ones with potential. I'll then sync to my iPhone where I can add filters and upload to instagram. This might be tedious for some, but I can take a few minutes and post/tag a batch to upload when I have time. I've even clipped this to my dogs collar and have gotten some very cool shots. I welcome the odd distorted images that some times occur when a lot of movement is happening. My biggest worry was actually people asking me what the device is. When it's on my sleeve, people don't even notice it and if/when asked I just say it's a pedometer so I don't have to answer a bunch questions or get weird looks.

Some things I would like to see is the ability to adjust how often the images are taken. Would be nice for 5, 10 or 20 sec intervals that can be set with the software. The double tap feature for taking forced photos is very finicky and rarely works for me, but then again, that's not what this was designed for. Check out my instagram for samples: IdeaAttic
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2015
What a great idea - take a picture every 30 seconds and never miss something aweome. It's too bad the pictures are grainy, not aimed and tilted. You are better off pulling out your phone to capture that one awesome picture than taking 120 pictures an hour that you will just delete.
I picked this up as I was leaving for a week in Vegas. Great sights every minute of every day. As of day 2 there is not a picture I want to keep or share.
review image
on June 16, 2014
The Narrative Clip is a brilliant idea, and as one of the first models of truly compact wearable cameras to make the idea of capturing moments in your everyday life that you might otherwise miss in the fumble to pull out a smartphone or compact digital camera.

The diminutive form is fantastic, and the design simplistic but aesthetically pleasing. Battery life is fantastic, the metal clip incredibly sturdy, and the inbuilt memory plenty large enough to hold a week’s worth of photos.

This really is a wearable camera you can put on and forget about; it’s also small enough to attach to plenty of other things other than yourself. I've even pondered the idea of attaching the clip to a large helium balloon and sending it up a few hundred feet in the air for some interesting aerial photos.

As you’d expect with a wearable camera that started its life on Kickstarter, there’s still a few flaws to be ironed out. The first is that unless you’re double-tapping away on the Clip, you’re likely to miss a few of the best moments in the 30 second window between photos.

Secondly, Narrative’s online photo library can be a little aggressive in attempting to straighten or adjust photos. I've found that this has gotten better since I've had the camera, so Narrative area clearly doing their best to regularly update the clip. Lastly, the Narrative is a bit rubbish in low-light. ISO noise is overly aggressive, and the size of the sensor is quickly exposed in anything beyond daylight or a reasonably-lit room.

Overall - highly recommended.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Narrative Clip Wearable Camera is a fun and surprisingly additive way to capture an event, or even an entire day in images. I was interested in this camera to grab images for use in training documentation for our small business and it worked well for that purpose. What I found is that it is also good for family gatherings and other social activities where it isn't feasible to keep snapping pictures with a handheld camera or phone.

On the surface this is a fairly simple and straight forward concept, have a small camera that takes a picture every 30-seconds and upload them to a cloud storage site, but is actually much more. Just running through the numbers, a picture every 30-seconds is 120 pictures an hour or 960 pictures in 8 hours, which is a lot of pictures to look through. There is an option to save all of those pictures to your hard drive when you connect the Clip to your computer via the included USB cable, but I quickly turned that off as it took a huge amount of space! The Clip will automatically upload the pictures to the cloud storage (this was very easy to configure both on my PC and with the app I downloaded to my iPhone) and then uses some sort of algorithm to get rid of all the bad/dark pictures and then create a timeline that is viewable on your handheld device. The implementation is fairly good, with only a small amount of "junk" pictures sneaking past their filters.

Since this takes snap shots of your day it might miss something important to you, which is why they added the ability to "force" the camera to take a picture by tapping on the front of it. I used this this feature a lot while capturing images for my training documentation and was pleased with the results.

The picture quality is outstanding when there is good lighting but it really does not like dark conditions. This wasn't an issue for me since I was aware of this limitation from reading the other reviews. The other interesting thing I noticed from comparing the pictures saved on my hard drive vs the on-line photos is that it auto-rotates the pictures for correct viewing, which is quite useful when showing the Timelines to others.

The documentation indicates that the internal rechargeable battery will last for 30-hours but the longest I let it run was for 12-hours and it still showed plenty of juice remaining.

There are some features I would like to see added to the app, PC software, and device itself. These include the ability to chose to save the manually triggered photos to your hard drive without having to save all of the others at the same time, viewing software from the PC to see the on-line Timeline, a physical shutter button on the device, and an orientation indicator on the device so I don't have to manually rotate the captured images saved to my PC (or make the down app auto-rotate when saving to the local drive).

This is a very impressive device that does most of what it claims to do very well under the right operating conditions. My rating would be 4.5-Stars (rounded up to 5).

Highly Recommended, with the caveats above!

CFH

Note: sample provided to review
on April 5, 2015
While the customer care agent contacting me and was nice about the issue I had, I feel that there is a blaring issue that is not addressed in the manuals or written anywhere else: you CANNOT use more than one per email address, it NEEDS to be registered, and once you register a new device with the same email, the device is WIPED (memories and all). We used 2 devices and came home to nothing after a wedding because the devices were WIPED by the software. The software only stated that the it was registering a new device and provided ZERO warning that doing so would also ERASE everything.
on January 3, 2015
I really wanted to give this product a higher rating, but it suffers from a fundamental design flaw. The forward facing surface of the human body is rarely absolutely perpendicular to the ground. Consequently, if you simply clip the Narrative Clip to your clothing, there is a good chance that the camera will not be facing directly forward and will instead be tilted at a slight angle. As a result, you will only rarely obtain photos of what is directly in front of you. Instead, you will obtain far too many photos of ceilings and trees and disembodied heads, and not nearly enough photos corresponding to what you actually saw in front of you during the course of the day. I think the concept of the Narrative Clip is sufficiently worthwhile that I will keep on experimenting with different clip positions to see if this design flaw can somehow be overcome, but it's unfortunate that the designers of this product have not provided a solution to this basic problem.
on February 25, 2015
you have to go to their website and download the "uploader". After that and a charge it worked the first time I used it. The photos are decent quality and very interesting to see. The photo is one of the random
review image
on July 11, 2014
4 Stars because the device & associated software do everything Narrative said they would, and do it reasonably well. And because it's a great idea that was actually executed relatively well, too. Could definitely be better, and no doubt we will see sleeker and more intuitive approaches to this concept in the near future (probably higher quality images as well). If you're looking for an expensive adventure, this is awesome. If you're carefully pricing something to accomplish this sort of thing, I would wait a few more months.

I bought this through the Kickstarter campaign, and am still trying to figure out how to fit it into life. My main issues:
1) Placement - Probably mostly a user problem. =p I've ended up with countless shots of ceilings and skies, torsos, or indistinct graininess. I've tried clipping to lapels, button holes, necklaces, hats, sunglasses (which looks absurd), and a purse strap. (Necklace works best)
2) Creeper Alert - While the camera is small and slim, it's definitely not discreet when you've got it placed near your head (where the best shots seem to come from). I have been forbidden to wear it around a few folks, and gotten the hairy eyeball for wearing it from a few strangers. All of which seems pretty reasonable to me, it is kind of creepy.
3) Software takes quite a while to do its thing. Electing to save to your PC vs. using the software is a huge space commitment.
4) Doesn't have an off button - you can hide it someplace dark to make it sleep, but I'd like to easily switch it off without having to stow it someplace I usually forget to retrieve it from until later, kind of defeating the FOMO prompts for owning it in the first place.
review image review image
on September 30, 2014
I am a cognitive scientist/psychologist active in the Quantified Self movement, and I have had my Narrative Clip since early May (I bought it through their site). I am a huge fan of this camera, as long as you understand the limits to the technology. First, the great. It passively takes one photo every 30 seconds, so your entire day is captured (and can be uploaded to Sweden, if you choose). Most of the pictures aren't interesting (like most of life), but there are always a few interesting photos every day. Personally, I choose one picture from every day and write about it - what was happening, who was there, etc. as a part of my research. The pictures from the Narrative are not "posed" and so you can view (and review) a POV of your life as you live it. To have even one picture from every day of your life is incredible.
What could be improved? Several things. It falls off pretty easily, and can be easy to misplace (and hard to find), so you have to be pretty OCD about where it is at all times (although most lifeloggers are pretty OCD anyways). I wrote my email on a label and attached it to the back. Ideally, cameras could be delivered with this information already inscribed. The camera does not work well in low-light conditions, but it isn't absolutely horrible in low-light either. It doesn't work if it is being jostled around, so I can't wear it when I run. Ideally, the camera should charge and upload photos wirelessly too, but this is probably coming in a future iteration.
In sum, this is an amazing camera from a brilliant design team. My only regret is that I didn't have one to chronicle my children growing up.
on May 24, 2015
This camera is Terrible! I originally bought this because I bought into the sales pitch that you can capture all your moments without having to think about it. Unfortunately this is not the case. 99.9% of the time, the pictures are of mundane objects like the floor, or the bottom of your laptop, etc. The pictures that are relevant and interesting are almost entirely grainy and of poor quality. To make matters worse. If you or your photographic subject are moving at all, the image comes out warped and twisted. I would say 1 out of every thousand pictures is relevant, but I never got a picture of something that was worth keeping. Do yourself a favor and continue using your cell phone to capture the moments that are important to you. This product is terrible!