5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun!
Published 4 months ago by IdeaAttic

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much for too little
When I bought this through a kickstarter deal, I thought it showed promise as a life-logger, a way to capture moments of your day for later review.

Published 6 months ago by Richard McNeill

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun!, August 11, 2014
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
I've been using the Narrative Clip for a few days now and I love it. I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of sample photos before buying and I'm very happy with this product. I feel a lot of the reviews are harsh. People need to remember that this is the first version of this product and it will only get better with time. I feel it's pointless to have the Clip on all the time while at work or when doing mundane tasks, instead I clip it on when I go out and about. I've gotten some great shots while bike riding or just walking around a mall. It's true that indoor photos are grainy, however I typically turn them to b&w with instagram and increase the sharpness and it gives the photos a very nostalgic look. Being an avid photographer, people would often get irradiated with me always pulling out my iPhone to snap shots or lugging around an SLR so this has corrected the issue.

I find that clipping the Narrative to my sleeve is actually better then in the middle of a shirt/jacked like recommended and I get more straight on images. I decided to go the rout of not using the software and uploading to the servers, instead I just dump the images to a temp folder on my desktop and weed out the ones with potential. I'll then sync to my iPhone where I can add filters and upload to instagram. This might be tedious for some, but I can take a few minutes and post/tag a batch to upload when I have time. I've even clipped this to my dogs collar and have gotten some very cool shots. I welcome the odd distorted images that some times occur when a lot of movement is happening. My biggest worry was actually people asking me what the device is. When it's on my sleeve, people don't even notice it and if/when asked I just say it's a pedometer so I don't have to answer a bunch questions or get weird looks.

Some things I would like to see is the ability to adjust how often the images are taken. Would be nice for 5, 10 or 20 sec intervals that can be set with the software. The double tap feature for taking forced photos is very finicky and rarely works for me, but then again, that's not what this was designed for. Check out my instagram for samples: IdeaAttic

5.0 out of 5 stars Inconspicuous Wearable Wonder, June 16, 2014
B. Stinson (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
The Narrative Clip is a brilliant idea, and as one of the first models of truly compact wearable cameras to make the idea of capturing moments in your everyday life that you might otherwise miss in the fumble to pull out a smartphone or compact digital camera.

The diminutive form is fantastic, and the design simplistic but aesthetically pleasing. Battery life is fantastic, the metal clip incredibly sturdy, and the inbuilt memory plenty large enough to hold a week’s worth of photos.

This really is a wearable camera you can put on and forget about; it’s also small enough to attach to plenty of other things other than yourself. I've even pondered the idea of attaching the clip to a large helium balloon and sending it up a few hundred feet in the air for some interesting aerial photos.

As you’d expect with a wearable camera that started its life on Kickstarter, there’s still a few flaws to be ironed out. The first is that unless you’re double-tapping away on the Clip, you’re likely to miss a few of the best moments in the 30 second window between photos.

Secondly, Narrative’s online photo library can be a little aggressive in attempting to straighten or adjust photos. I've found that this has gotten better since I've had the camera, so Narrative area clearly doing their best to regularly update the clip. Lastly, the Narrative is a bit rubbish in low-light. ISO noise is overly aggressive, and the size of the sensor is quickly exposed in anything beyond daylight or a reasonably-lit room.

Overall - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well For My Needs - Highly Recommended, October 20, 2014
This Narrative Clip Wearable Camera is a fun and surprisingly additive way to capture an event, or even an entire day in images. I was interested in this camera to grab images for use in training documentation for our small business and it worked well for that purpose. What I found is that it is also good for family gatherings and other social activities where it isn't feasible to keep snapping pictures with a handheld camera or phone.

On the surface this is a fairly simple and straight forward concept, have a small camera that takes a picture every 30-seconds and upload them to a cloud storage site, but is actually much more. Just running through the numbers, a picture every 30-seconds is 120 pictures an hour or 960 pictures in 8 hours, which is a lot of pictures to look through. There is an option to save all of those pictures to your hard drive when you connect the Clip to your computer via the included USB cable, but I quickly turned that off as it took a huge amount of space! The Clip will automatically upload the pictures to the cloud storage (this was very easy to configure both on my PC and with the app I downloaded to my iPhone) and then uses some sort of algorithm to get rid of all the bad/dark pictures and then create a timeline that is viewable on your handheld device. The implementation is fairly good, with only a small amount of "junk" pictures sneaking past their filters.

Since this takes snap shots of your day it might miss something important to you, which is why they added the ability to "force" the camera to take a picture by tapping on the front of it. I used this this feature a lot while capturing images for my training documentation and was pleased with the results.

The picture quality is outstanding when there is good lighting but it really does not like dark conditions. This wasn't an issue for me since I was aware of this limitation from reading the other reviews. The other interesting thing I noticed from comparing the pictures saved on my hard drive vs the on-line photos is that it auto-rotates the pictures for correct viewing, which is quite useful when showing the Timelines to others.

The documentation indicates that the internal rechargeable battery will last for 30-hours but the longest I let it run was for 12-hours and it still showed plenty of juice remaining.

There are some features I would like to see added to the app, PC software, and device itself. These include the ability to chose to save the manually triggered photos to your hard drive without having to save all of the others at the same time, viewing software from the PC to see the on-line Timeline, a physical shutter button on the device, and an orientation indicator on the device so I don't have to manually rotate the captured images saved to my PC (or make the down app auto-rotate when saving to the local drive).

This is a very impressive device that does most of what it claims to do very well under the right operating conditions. My rating would be 4.5-Stars (rounded up to 5).

Highly Recommended, with the caveats above!

CFH

Note: sample provided to review

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best lifelogging camera on the market, September 30, 2014
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
I am a cognitive scientist/psychologist active in the Quantified Self movement, and I have had my Narrative Clip since early May (I bought it through their site). I am a huge fan of this camera, as long as you understand the limits to the technology. First, the great. It passively takes one photo every 30 seconds, so your entire day is captured (and can be uploaded to Sweden, if you choose). Most of the pictures aren't interesting (like most of life), but there are always a few interesting photos every day. Personally, I choose one picture from every day and write about it - what was happening, who was there, etc. as a part of my research. The pictures from the Narrative are not "posed" and so you can view (and review) a POV of your life as you live it. To have even one picture from every day of your life is incredible.
What could be improved? Several things. It falls off pretty easily, and can be easy to misplace (and hard to find), so you have to be pretty OCD about where it is at all times (although most lifeloggers are pretty OCD anyways). I wrote my email on a label and attached it to the back. Ideally, cameras could be delivered with this information already inscribed. The camera does not work well in low-light conditions, but it isn't absolutely horrible in low-light either. It doesn't work if it is being jostled around, so I can't wear it when I run. Ideally, the camera should charge and upload photos wirelessly too, but this is probably coming in a future iteration.
In sum, this is an amazing camera from a brilliant design team. My only regret is that I didn't have one to chronicle my children growing up.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a perfect wearable camera. So perfect I forget I'm wearing it., July 3, 2014
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
I received my Narrative Clip a few weeks ago, and my first impression was that I hadn't expected it to be so small.

I originally had the Narrative bought as a birthday present for me to take photos of my family on vacation/holiday. (Yes I'm one of those dads who's always taking family photos?)
The idea being that the Narrative would take care of the "taking of photos" and I could join in with the family fun.

It had been intended for the photos to be enjoyed by my family and I. But the results have been so brilliant that I have set up a YouTube page to share some of my experiences on using my new Narrative Clip with everyone.

The YouTube links below is to part of my first days with my new Narrative made into time lapse videos.

At present I have not used my Clip as often as I would have liked due to work commitments, but the results that I have seen that it has captured are just brilliant. It has captured some truly amazing pictures of our day at the Weston Super Mare Air Show, one of which has been added to the https://twitter.com/getnarrative where you can see other great moments from around the world.

The design of the Clip make it very easy to wear. I clip mine over the top of the collar of my sweatshirt. Or now it's been a bit warmer, I clip it on the button up piece of my polo shirt.

As for using it, I forget it's there. Although my wife has often double tapped it a few times when she has noticed that I've stopped to look at something interesting.

In low light it's a bit grainy, but it's not meant to be an SLR.

We have already adapted a car windscreen suction mount to hold my Narrative Clip in place, and we have managed to capture some entertaining results of some of our journeys so far.

I am so looking forward to the fun and pleasure that lie ahead for my family and I to enjoy, capture, and enjoy again thanks to "our" new Narrative Clip.

Many thanks to the people at getnarrative.com for making this possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My reply posted on YouTube regarding my Amazon review above:

Hi,
yes I am very pleased with my Narrative Clip. It's just brilliant!

Mine was bought for me from the Narrative website directly before they started selling through Amazon.

It comes along with us everytime we go out as a family, and always it captures something we that had not noticed at the time.
But more importantly it's captured something special for us to keep and remember.

I love having mine, and to use an old phrase "I would not leave home without it!"

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much for too little, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)

When I found they only support Apple and Android products, I tried to return it, but the paperwork, time and postage to Sweden made it impractical. I can only see shots taken by Narrative on my pc, without any of its online sorting. Basically, it fills my drive with garbage that I then have to check and erase. The process is time-consuming.

The photos it takes are worthless, unless you are outside or in an well lit office all day. They are dark, grainy, and small.

As a spy-camera, it's too obvious. People, I've found, are not happy about being photographed without being aware of it.

Save your $229. Buy a good pocket camera or use your cell phone.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
I am one of the original kickstarter purchasers of this device. I had envisioned it as a kind of google glass that would allow me to capture some of those moments when I was traveling and did not have a camera handily or perhaps did not want to pull one out. The picture quality is ok but not as good as say my iphone 5 camera. There are very few places you can "wear" it on your body and actually not get a picture of the ground or the sky. The ideal spot would be the middle of your forehead which is obviously not practical. The online service will orient the picture for you automatically but the locally stored copy (if you make a local copy) is at whatever orientation. It has to have a computer for download and I rarely now travel with anything other than my iPad making it impossible to download pictures on the go. It's an interesting concept that to me needs some more work but perhaps others will find it more useful than I have given the limitations.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 3, 2014 2:15:04 PM PDT
Hi there!

I am the quality support and community manager at Narrative. Firstly, thank you for supporting us right from the start and thank you for taking the time out to comment on your experience with Narrative.

I am sorry that your experience with Narrative is less than favourable. Based on user reviews, clipping onto shirts seems to be the popular choice :) The relatively small size of the Clip gives us versatility in terms of how we wear it...You can clip it on to your shirt, to your backpack etc... the sky is the limit! :) We have updated our Narrative app extensively and pictures are no longer cropped. Your pictures should not just be just of the sky or the ground. To learn more, you can check out this article here http://blog.getnarrative.com/2014/06/getting-more-out-of-your-photos-and-memories/

How you wear the Clip determines the orientation of the pictures: https://support.getnarrative.com/hc/en-us/articles/201877377-How-To-Wear-The-Narrative-Clip-Camera

The storage space of the Clip is 8GB, which roughly rounds up to 8000 pictures, approximately 3 days of full usage ( 24 hours per day), and 5 days of normal usage. During this time, you can simply charge it up and use each day. After which, you will need to empty the clip so as to provide more space to continue taking pictures.

We understand that this is a constraint and we are continually looking at how we can improve on this. I hope you will give the Clip another go! As always, please feel free to reach out to us (support@getnarrative.com) if you have any queries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Experiment, Decent (not great) Results., July 11, 2014
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
4 Stars because the device & associated software do everything Narrative said they would, and do it reasonably well. And because it's a great idea that was actually executed relatively well, too. Could definitely be better, and no doubt we will see sleeker and more intuitive approaches to this concept in the near future (probably higher quality images as well). If you're looking for an expensive adventure, this is awesome. If you're carefully pricing something to accomplish this sort of thing, I would wait a few more months.

I bought this through the Kickstarter campaign, and am still trying to figure out how to fit it into life. My main issues:
1) Placement - Probably mostly a user problem. =p I've ended up with countless shots of ceilings and skies, torsos, or indistinct graininess. I've tried clipping to lapels, button holes, necklaces, hats, sunglasses (which looks absurd), and a purse strap. (Necklace works best)
2) Creeper Alert - While the camera is small and slim, it's definitely not discreet when you've got it placed near your head (where the best shots seem to come from). I have been forbidden to wear it around a few folks, and gotten the hairy eyeball for wearing it from a few strangers. All of which seems pretty reasonable to me, it is kind of creepy.
3) Software takes quite a while to do its thing. Electing to save to your PC vs. using the software is a huge space commitment.
4) Doesn't have an off button - you can hide it someplace dark to make it sleep, but I'd like to easily switch it off without having to stow it someplace I usually forget to retrieve it from until later, kind of defeating the FOMO prompts for owning it in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the step - best way possible, June 18, 2014
Adam Hirschberg (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
1- works every time
2- app is simple and intuitive
3- capture moments you never thought possible
4- easily lasts a day
5- uploading data from you computer couldn't be easier, even if you shut off or lose internet part way through

Highly, highly recommend the Narrative. Only wish is that there was a web app and not just a mobile app for viewing photos!

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it. Amazing way to save moments in time., September 27, 2014
ArA "Ara" (Los Angeles, CA 90038) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray) (Electronics)
One of those things you can't believe you lived without. So many memories saved with this tiny almost invisible device. I've captured some amazing moments, that would have otherwise been lost in time.

The battery last all day, almost. The pictures are not of print quality, but they were never designed to be. The clip can get annoying at times as it does not suit every situation. The "moments" that are built by their servers are almost random, future updates should improve on it.

If you're going to view each image and hope each ones going to be picture perfect, you're going to be disappointed. I bought one of these for a friends wife, she spent more time deleting pictures and taking them. This is a device you use to capture moments in time, not pictures.

Narrative Clip Wearable Camera (Gray)
$229.00 $228.00