5.0 out of 5 stars NAS Field Guide; Fishes

2.0 out of 5 stars Binding is horrible
Published 16 months ago by Leah Hohn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars NAS Field Guide; Fishes, January 12, 2008
This review is from: National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fishes (Paperback)
I have been buying two NAS Field Guides for my grandson each year for the past five years. One for his birthday and one for Christmas. I love these books and use many of my copies regularly to identify everything I find and don't know what it is. I want my grandson to be as keen on the earth and the world around him as I have been. This is another excellent field guide to keep him informed. An excellent book as are all the National Audubon Society's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, March 9, 2010
As with all NAS Field Guides , this a great book for identifying fresh and SALTWATER fishes (as is described in the product description) . This small book contains beautiful pictures and detailed descriptions of any species you may want to identify . Great for the fisherman , naturalist or those just interested in fish and/or the natural world around them . I own many of these NAS Field Guides on flora and fauna , that I have bought through the years, and they have been a great help when I have been in need to identify fish , birds or plants in my area or while vacationing. All of these books have been a joy to read .

4.0 out of 5 stars great field guide, August 2, 2009
This is a great field guide. Like most field guides, you can never have just one, but this is definitely a great one to have around. I was mislead to believe this was strictly a freshwater encyclopedia. It has both fresh and salt water, so that was a little disappointing, but very informative, well made, small, lightweight, and great clear pictures. Everything a field guide should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be expanded, December 2, 2013
It's very thorough on what it does cover but I think it should have been split into several guides covering regional areas such as the East Coast, the Gulf Coast, the West Coast and inland freshwater areas. Because of the fact it tries to cover all areas in a single volume, it is not nearly as comprehensive as it could be had it been split up. I also think there could have been a more comprehensive set of color plates as a number of fish species described have no photo at all and some even have no line drawing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Binding is horrible, May 1, 2013
This book was purchased for my 12 year old daughter who is going to an Aquarium on a field trip. The content of this book was exactly what we were looking for but the binding/cover of the book is horrific!! The first time the book was opened the spine came apart as well as the pages started to separate. There is no way we can return it and obtain a new book prior to her field trip even if we wanted one. Had it not been for the binding, we would have given it five stars. Very disappointed!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, January 31, 2011
I buy the Audubon books for my husband for small presents as he is an outdoor lover, and these books are perfect for him. He specifically requested a book on fishes, and he has used it several times after fishing to identify the types of fish he has seen. It is compact, with a nice durable cover, and has beautiful photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great resource for fish lovers, January 12, 2009
pilgrim (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
very helpful in amateur fish identification;
clear pictures and descriptions; durabble cover and construction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!, January 25, 2014
Shipped quick and easy. Can't go wrong with the NAS Field Guides they provide a great reference that are easy to read. (very thorough in description)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive., January 14, 2014
I bought this book as an amateur surf fisherman so that I might identify the fish I hoped to catch. I caught many (yeah, I was surprised too!) and this book had them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Books, October 11, 2013
I have the fish, amphibians & reptile, bird, and mammal books. I love this set and the way the books are organized. Beautiful colored pictures with detailed descriptions of animals.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fishes
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fishes by Carter Rowell Gilbert (Paperback - May 21, 2002)
$21.95 $16.65