Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 27, 2013
Although the pictures in this book are beautiful, some of the information is flat out wrong. There is a picture of a Sting Ray labeled "Red Ant". There is a picture of a King Vulture labeled as an Andean Condor. Another picture shows a Ground Squirrel, but is labeled as a Prairie Dog. The labels for the Sea Nettle and Urchin are reversed. I expected more from National Geographic.
88 comments| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 26, 2012
It is amazingly hard to find a large format encyclopedia of animals. This book was perfect though as it has beautiful photographs of all the animals with a bit of text relating to each, and is large enough to cover a broad range of creatures. Of course, the photographs are excellent given it is authored by National Geographic. This is the perfect book for kids interested in animals who will enjoy leafing through the pages and looking at the pictures. I think it is directed at and perfect for the 3 to 8 year olds; plenty of photos with good overview text. It is certainly a hit with my four and six year old!
on February 9, 2013
Beautiful illustrations with great subject knowledge and succinct information. I would recommend the book to anyone with an interest in wildlife.
on June 13, 2015
Its an okay book I guess. I got it for Christmas one year, and I was kind of unimpressed. A lot of the pictures for each animal are not even the right species, like for the wolverine, the picture is an American badger.
on November 16, 2014
We normally love National Geographic books, but this one isn't our favorite. It has many rare and unusual animals, but fails to cover some of the basic animals that young children want to learn about.

The facts aren't that interesting either. I think it could have been better.

Beautiful presentation, though. BIG book, nice photos.
on December 6, 2012
I bought this as a Christmas present and figured I would give it a flip through before wrapping. O-M-G This book is amazing. The photographs are exactly the kind or perfection you would expect from National Geographic and they give you a lot of information and side facts and some animals get a 2 page spread with information from someone in the field who has dedicated their lives to the animals. Child or adult, this book is definitely neat to have on hand whether you just like factoids or animals or collect N.G. stuff. Buy this book, you wont be disapointed!
on February 12, 2013
This book was a terrific buy for our 6 year old son. He is an animal lover and knows more about creatures than his parents. Even so, he has spent hours looking at the pictures and we all have learned many, many new facts about animals. A great buy for the animal-loving child!
on January 3, 2013
I got this as a christmas gift for my daughter. She loved the pictures but wished there was more information about each animal.
on March 29, 2015
This book seriously has a lot of awesome pictures about a lot of animals! Perfect for my first grader...and I find it really interesting too! Not a whole lot of information on the majority of the animals but a great place to see all different kinds of animals. It is really helpful to me that they show the habitat and location of each animal listed as we are using it to supplement our homeschooling unit next year on several countries and also habitats.
on March 1, 2015
Hard covered containing nice photos educational informative, perfect for kids 8-12 and there after. More photos than info, I enjoyed looking
through seeing the photos and reading brief reminders and information on the animals reviewed.
A National Geographic continues its reputation. It is a Keeper !