5.0 out of 5 stars A bird in the yard
I thought I had the best bird book to identify the birds in my yard until I found this bird guide. It identifies 150 species. There is a quick find index on the inside cover with pictures - a real help! Information is given on feeding, bird houses and how to distinguish between similar species.
The colour heads of birds leads you to the pages where complete...
Published on April 25, 2011 by wogan

I purchased this book for my father-in-law who is in his 80's. The pictures and print are to small for an older person to view or read. The book has great information but few photos most pictures are colored illustrations.
Published 22 months ago by DW

5.0 out of 5 stars A bird in the yard, April 25, 2011
This review is from: National Geographic Backyard Guide to the Birds of North America (National Geographic Backyard Guides) (Paperback)
The colour heads of birds leads you to the pages where complete pictures, range maps, food and general identification information can be found.
There are inserts included; such as why do birds migrate and how to attract hummingbirds. A glossary is built-in with additional reading.
Anyone who looks out and wants to know more of the feathered friends flying around will benefit from this guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Backyard Birds I can now identify, April 11, 2011
H. McClelland (São Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
I gave this book to three amateur bird fans who enjoy watching birds at their kitchen window feeders. All reported back that this was the most useful bird book they had seen, with clear photos & identifying features, and interesting relevant facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the backyard birder!, April 28, 2011
Purchased this book for my husband's birthday. It is a delightful, colorful book, with a ton of information. You can easily identify your backyard birds and know their habits, eating, etc. A really nice book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Backyard Birds Not A Book for the Older Folks or Folks with Vision Problems, October 13, 2012
DW (Nebraska) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Found !, August 3, 2011
NatGeo's "Backyard Guide to the Birds of North America is the best "user-friendly" bird guide I've ever seen in 50 years of birding. One of the things that makes it a standout is that they included the RIGHT information that everyday birders can use. And as another reviewer mentions, it is a very good (and painless) tutorial as well as a guide. I will recommend this great book to everyone I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 26, 2011
For those who are interested in doing most of their birding at home, this book is a great tutorial. The inside front and back covers have a visual index to bird species and there is a color index of head shots right after the table of contents. This allows for rapid identification of most common birds.

A terrific addition to my other bird guides and very handy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Backyard Birds, August 14, 2012
Easy to use, includes colorful bird pictures,maps of location, quick find index(grouped according to specie),and compact size for ease in bird watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book., December 10, 2012
Great informative book with detailed pictures. Only gripe for me was the text size as this was a gift for my father who is 74.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drawings., November 17, 2013
Most of the bird pictures are drawn, and while they are drawn well, somehow, most of the time, they aren't a good substitute for a photo. I use it in conjunction with other birdbooks that have photos. It does have good info on the birds and more birds than some of my other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird Watching Made Easy, June 29, 2013
This is an excellant guide for anyone interested in identifying birds at a backyard feeder. The information, and especially the pictures, is very detailed and helps me to differentiate between the various types within a specific species. I also appreciate the maps that show the particular areas of North America and Canada where each species is prevelant.
The compact size (5"x8") of this book allows me to keep it on a table next to my chair in the sunroom which has three walls of glass and great exposure to our trees and birdfeeder. I like to start my day with a cup of coffee watching the birds feed.
I've had this book for about a month and use it almost daily.

$18.95 $13.39