‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating journey, May 13, 2007
Anyechka (Rensselaer, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
This documentary follows the multiple pregnancies of three different women, from conception to shortly after the birth. Rachel (the only one who isn't a first-time mother) is having fraternal twins (a boy and a girl), Jennifer is having triplets (two identical boys plus one fraternal brother who was conceived on a different day), and Julie is having identical quads (girls). All three of these sets of multiples were conceived naturally, even Julie's (the odds of having naturally-conceived identical quads are one in eight million!). Using cutting-edge 4-D technology, we're able to get a fascinating look at just what goes on in the womb during these gestational periods. Not only do we get to see what the embryos/fetuses look like as they develop, but we also get to see the kinds of interactions they have with one another, interactions that vary from up-close and personal (if they're together in the same amnion and chorion, no barriers between them) to only able to feel one another through membranes if they're in separate amnions and chorions.

This documentary is loaded with just about everything you ever might have wanted to know about multiple pregnancies. Topics include the different types of twinning, what might cause conjoined twins, how interactions in utero continue playing out after birth (such as one set of twins in which the dominant twin often kicked his brother, who put his head down on the placenta for comfort instead of fighting back; as they grew up, the submissive twin would go to his room and put his head on the blanket when bullied by the dominant one), why older women are more prone to naturally-conceived multiples (one theory is that the eggs a woman is left with by then are weakened by age and therefore more likely to split), why many twins are mirror images of one another, and how a woman's height affects how close to term she can bring a multiple pregnancy. I knew that sometimes triplets can be carried almost to full term and delivered naturally, but didn't know that the odds are greater for such a thing if the mother is taller. Jennifer, the triplets' mother, was almost six feet tall, though she ended up having to have a C-section that wasn't as close to full term as had been hoped.

In addition to shining a light on the amazing process of development a fetus goes through, it also lets one into the mysterious world of what it's like to actually be in there, and to be on the same amazing journey with one, two, or even three other companions. One can't help but wonder how much these newborn multiples remember of their time in the womb, when they formed a bond like no other with their womb-mates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 5, 2007
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
I had to watch this movie for a human development course in college. It is the most amazing thing to see actual footage of multiples growing in the womb. I also learned a lot about multiples that I did not previously know. Very good watch! Definitely reccomended.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars, May 3, 2010
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
I am pregnant with multiples and wanted an inside out look of what my babies and body are experiencing. Great teaching video on the basics of multiple births. Would be appropriate for helping answer questions that older siblings have (age 13 and up, as conception by male/female intercourse is briefly discussed).

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating!, August 7, 2007
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
this documentary gives in-depth perspective of the development of multiples in the womb - and it's done with amazing material. Real life echoes, shown in multiple dimensions, and fascinating views of the inside world of the womb. You can almost imagine what it's like in there. Although many knowledgable facts are told, it's all brought in a very comprehensive way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, March 21, 2009
vazellie "Elle" (Macomb, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
I watched this video 3 times in a row as I am expecting twins this September. I was in aww! Love it. I've learned so much. Even our 5 year old requests to watch it. My dear husband has yet to see it but when he does, I know he will be as impressed as I. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amaizing, May 27, 2009
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
This video is amaizing! There is so much information and is so detailed. I had seen the video "In the Womb" when I was pregnant and loved it. I would have my husband watch it with me durring each trimester that I was in to show him what changes our baby and myself were going through. It gave him a chance to understand what was happening inside me on a whole differant level and it allowed him to have a better connection with our baby. As you know, men do not get to experience what we feel when we are pregnant and this gives them some insight and a chance to start bonding with your own baby. I can't say enough good things about it. So I figured, we had such a wonderful experience with that video that we mine as well get the "In the Womb - Multiples" and it was just as wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing journey, February 25, 2014
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
One of my best friends found out she was having twins, so I sent her this video.
She was absolutely thrilled by everything she saw and learned in this documentary.

If you know anyone about to be having twins or triplets, this makes a very thoughtful gift, as they will learn what is happening inside their own body.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, September 2, 2011
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
i love this video it shows you step by step. it is lovely, i watch it many times a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video!, June 15, 2009
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
My husband and I watched this together and where extremely surprised as to how detailed this video was. Great insight into the world of multiples in a womb. Definitely would recommend to any couple expecting multiples.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic documentary, October 22, 2007
This review is from: National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples (DVD)
"In e womb" is precise and interesting. it doesn't bore you like other documentaries do. i enjoyed it very much and it has given me insights to what happens to my body every step of the way throughout my pregnancy.

would definitely recommend buying it, if you're planning on starting your family anytime soon*

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples
National Geographic: In the Womb - Multiples by Lorne Townend (DVD - 2007)
$19.97 $13.96